• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
ROLE CALL of Ultimate DLC

3 Fighting- Terry, Min Min, Kazuya
1 Sandbox- Minecraft
6 RPG- Joker, Hero, Byleth, Sephiroth, Pyra, Mythra
Platforming- Banjo and Kazooie (it's too difficult for me to count Plant here, since Mario spans every genre, and Plant-adjacent was only ever playable in Kart and Sports Titles)
1 Other- PP

That is not diverse
There are literally hundreds if not thousands of RPG characters that can come to Smash, more characters than all other genres combined.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

1 Sandbox- Minecraft
Platforming- Banjo and Kazooie (it's too difficult for me to count Plant here, since Mario spans every genre, and Plant-adjacent was only ever playable in Kart and Sports Titles)
1 Other- PP

That is not diverse
6/11 RPG's vs. 5/11 non-RPG's is still more or less half-and-half between the two passes. Seems pretty diverse to me.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Something related to SMT will surely come.

At least a spirit event, maybe a mii costume or CP with full representation.

btw, hopefully tomorrow (or the next few weeks) they announced a spirit event for NTWEWY.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
That links to what looks like an unsourced blog, which has literally nothing credible to back it up.

In fact, if you go to the blog and click translate, it literally says "I wonder if...", it's speculation, nothing more.
I never said that it was 100% confirmed. I'm just going by what I read.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One thing to note is that this:
1627352918944.png

And this:
1627352957038.png

Are both considered RPGs despite having basically no gameplay similarities. It's a bit too large of a net to lump them all in the same category IMO. In terms of appeal, the RPG characters are probably something more like this:
  • Turn Based RPG: :ultjoker::ulthero:
  • Action RPG (which in itself is way too broad a category): :ultpyra:/:ultmythra:
  • Both: :ultsephiroth:
  • Tactical RPG: :ultbyleth:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

1 Sandbox- Minecraft
1 Other- PP

That is not diverse
Looks pretty diverse to me...

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Low genre diversity doesn't necessarily mean low demographic diversity. It doesn't help, sure, but there's factors beyond gameplay that attract people. Persona 5 in particular is pretty famous for being loved by people who aren't normally super into RPGs. FE being tactical RPGs also makes a difference; I know a few people who specifically like tactical RPGs but not so much standard JRPGs.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

1 Sandbox- Minecraft
1 Other- PP

That is not diverse
It doesn't help when you count the two in one character as two different characters.

Pyra/Mythra should count as one.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
The collection will be beyond irrelevant by the time the final character is revealed.

At least Three Houses had major dlc coming out with Byleth.
The Collection only just came out this year, the same year the last DLC character will be revealed, so it's not like it'll be forgotten by then. There's been games that's been out longer than that before a character was revealed for Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It doesn't help when you count the two in one character as two different characters.

Well, Nintendo does count them as two different characters, and they are literally two different characters, but I think the argument makes sense on a pack by pack basis, which does mean that Pyra & Mythra should count as one since they were sold together.

EDIT: Not sure I worded this the best.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

1990 "Dr. Mario" released today !! I'm not very good at falling block puzzles ... (but I've made one) A game that erases bottled virus with medication. In Smash Bros., Dr. Mario is treated as a fighter different from Mario, and it is a gesture that is more uncle-like.

(Note: The puzzle game Sakurai made is called "Meteos". It released on the DS in 2005)

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

1990 "Dr. Mario" released today !! I'm not very good at falling block puzzles ... (but I've made one) A game that erases bottled virus with medication. In Smash Bros., Dr. Mario is treated as a fighter different from Mario, and it is a gesture that is more uncle-like.

(Note: The puzzle game Sakurai made is called "Meteos". It released on the DS in 2005)
I am Dr. Mario and I am saving lives

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
View attachment 324315
And this:
View attachment 324316

Are both considered RPGs despite having basically no gameplay similarities. It's a bit too large of a net to lump them all in the same category IMO. In terms of appeal, the RPG characters are probably something more like this:
  • Action RPG (which in itself is way too broad a category): :ultpyra:/:ultmythra:
And this is why genres are fake

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You have to use a light gun in order to play it and yeah, it is its own genre, different from FPS.
It is absolutely a genre.

Heh, the more you know.
I'd still easily say it's a subgenre under FPS, considering it is literally an FPS with a peripheral.
But it is good to learn that it is considered separate.

View attachment 324315
And this:
View attachment 324316

But again, that is true of any genre.
As someone who doesn't tend to like RPGs, I assure you, it matters to me- and I certainly don't think I'm alone.

I don't think it changes the point either way- I'm simply classifying it as two because Sakurai does.

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of RPG characters that can come to Smash, more characters than all other genres combined.
Um... absolutely not.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'll add a contrary argument to my own claim of getting so many RPGs
The base game of Ultimate added six unique newcomers-
K Rool, Ridley, Isabelle, Simon, Inkling, Incineroar
Of these, the only that could be considered RPG is Incineroar (but just as I don't consider Mario strictly platformer, I don't consider Pokemon strictly RPG- both seem above genre classifications as they are brands which fall into almost all genres).
It's also a solid argument against lack of cartoonish characters in the DLC- because we got mostly cartoons as unique newcomers.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But again, that is true of any genre.
To some extent sure, but not nearly to the same extent as RPGs. Like, 2D and 3D platfomrers are pretty different due to the nature of the Z-axis, but at their core they're still about running and jumping around.

RPG's on the on the other hand can be turn based, tactical, real time, basically a hack n' slash, or Dark Souls. Since the bar for what constitutes an RPG is that the game's mechanics are stat driven, it's really become so diverse that I question why it's so broad in the first place. You may not like a handful of the major RPG categories, but I still don't think they should be grouped together in terms of appeal.

Shroob

Sup?
To some extent sure, but not nearly to the same extent as RPGs. Like, 2D and 3D platfomrers are pretty different due to the nature of the Z-axis, but at their core they're still about running and jumping around.

RPG's on the on the other hand can be turn based, tactical, real time, basically a hack n' slash, or Dark Souls. Since the bar for what constitutes an RPG is that the game's mechanics are stat driven, it's really become so diverse that I question why it's so broad in the first place. You may not like a handful of the major RPG categories, but I still don't think they should be grouped together in terms of appeal.
And hell

Fallout's a weird hybrid of RPG and Shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom