• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
What if Mother comes out? Their games are still not on the switch for whatever reason even though they know the demand for it.
Considering Nintendo's current showing of Switch Online titles... I'm kinda doubting we'll get anything but:

"Buy Mother 1 in the Eshop for 9.99!"

"But Earthbound/Mother 2 in the Eshop for 15.99!" at this point.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
A 2020 rep or 2021 probably isn’t happening anyways as well since their games were probably too late into development when the pass was decided on.

Byleth alone was hard for sakurai to get in pass 1. Didn’t he have to use a unfinished build of 3H or something like that to get a feel for byleth.
No, SMT V literally fits everything for pass 1 and 2.

Sakurai used a partially finished version of Three Houses before the game went gold because there was no demo or anything and the English and Japanese version weren’t that far apart to delay the release(in SMT V’s case the localization literally just started just before E3 so the English version is WAY behind). For SMT V the Japanese version has been 90% complete since before E3(according to Atlus), and that means it is all but done for the Japanese version now.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Considering Nintendo's current showing of Switch Online titles... I'm kinda doubting we'll get anything but:

And let me guess, they'll go away at the end of March 2022?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Rex & Pyra/Mythra were an Ice Climbers style character where each half was different. Saying that there's no way of executing a summoner character that wouldn't suffer from the same problems (such as loading 16 high quality fighter models in a single battle where half of them can swap out) seems like a stretch. A summon could be treated more like Luma, or a Pikmin, or an assist trophy. They could be tied to specific moves like Zelda's Phantom Guardian or add to the moveset like Arsene does.
Aside from the Blade Specials, Pyra/Mythra wouldn't have had a moveset for the most part (unless they were supposed to be like Afi & Galu or something). Granted, it is still a guess since nobody knows the finer details of why it was infeasible, but it's probably the fact that Pyra/Mythra had to have AI at all alongside Rex combined with the high poly count that stopped them from appearing. A summoner character would mean that you'd need more than 16 high quality character models up, each with their own AI (unless they were Vs. style assists, but I'm not sure I'd put that in the same category as a summoner; it's more of its own thing). Having other characters just come in for other attacks doesn't really make the character a summoner either.

I will concede a few things though:
  • If by summoner, we're talking someone like Gargos, then there's not really any need for worry depending on which monster(s) he'd be able to summon.
    • I was personally thinking something more along the lines of JACK-O (though maybe not that many minions at once. Maybe more like 3.), which causes a large concern.
  • If by summoner, we're actually talking about a puppet fighter with multiple different potential puppets, that's still very doable depending on which monsters he'd be able to summon.
  • If by summoner, we're actually talking about a normal character that visually uses other characters to attack, then that's probably not an issue at all.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman

at least it's gonna be a bestseller on the eshop. i'd be willing to spend $60 on a mother trilogy without a second thought

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We call it Mother 3 because it'll only be available for 3 months.
So you better tell your MOTHER to give you her credit card immediately!
Netflix Pokemon in development.

live action
Hope they learned from Detective Pikachu how to do it.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Here's how you really set the internet on fire:

Mother Collection:
  • Mother
  • Mother 2
  • Mother 3
Earthbound Collection:
  • Earthbound Beginnings
  • Earthbound
Both are $60, and have a limited release.
In fairness to Nintendo I more so see an Earthbound collection that costs $40 and people being pissed it doesn’t include Mother 3 for $20 more anyway.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Here's an interesting thought: If every generation was in the same position as Generation 4 in terms of getting a character (newest generation, but old enough to have more/all of its Pokémon finalized), what would they get?

Obviously Generation 1 and 4 would get what they have now, but Generation 2 was only able to get a clone, so that answer wouldn't necessarily be Pichu. Generations 3, 5, and 8 would actually get a character, and Generations 6 and 7 might not have gotten a starter (though they had big plans for Greninja so they may have gone for it anyway).
Gen 2 is a bit of an oddball as in a lot of ways it gets treated as an offshoot of Gen 1 and there's not a lot of promotion for its set, so there's not a big standout from a promotional standpoint aside from a few like Lugia or Suicune, or Pichu with the short. Even the Starters were treated weirdly, as Typhlosion for instance didn't get a proper anime appearance until Gen 3, and Legend of Thunder was late in Gen 2's lifetime and didn't get localized for years. In the end, I feel a Starter, Pichu, or a dark horse in Scizor or Tyranitar would've been their choice, but it's not as clear cut as the other generations.

Gen 3 would probably be Blaziken. At the time Gen 3 was released they were very adamant in promoting it as it got the first anime appearance and had more notable appearances across its generation like the movie appearance in Destiny Deoxys. Gardevoir could've been a popularity pick, but at the time it would've lacked the promotional backing like the other examples.

Gen 5 would've probably been Zoroark as while they bungled its promotion terribly, they still tried to push it as the face of the generation early on.

Gen 6 I also don't think would change as Greninja was very prominent during its generation.

Gen 7 would've been more debatable as Incineroar is still promoted, but there are other candidates like Mimikyu, Lycanroc, and Rowlet that were prominent themselves.

Gen 8 would probably be Cinderace as that has the most promotion behind it, but Toxtricity and Dragapult would be possible dark horses due to high popularity.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Gen 2 is a bit of an oddball as in a lot of ways it gets treated as an offshoot of Gen 1 and there's not a lot of promotion for its set, so there's not a big standout from a promotional standpoint aside from a few like Lugia or Suicune, or Pichu with the short. Even the Starters were treated weirdly, as Typhlosion for instance didn't get a proper anime appearance until Gen 3, and Legend of Thunder was late in Gen 2's lifetime and didn't get localized for years. In the end, I feel a Starter, Pichu, or a dark horse in Scizor or Tyranitar would've been their choice, but it's not as clear cut as the other generations.

Gen 3 would probably be Blaziken. At the time Gen 3 was released they were very adamant in promoting it as it got the first anime appearance and had more notable appearances across its generation like the movie appearance in Destiny Deoxys. Gardevoir could've been a popularity pick, but at the time it would've lacked the promotional backing like the other examples.

Gen 5 would've probably been Zoroark as while they bungled its promotion terribly, they still tried to push it as the face of the generation early on.

Gen 6 I also don't think would change as Greninja was very prominent during its generation.

Gen 7 would've been more debatable as Incineroar is still promoted, but there are other candidates like Mimikyu, Lycanroc, and Rowlet that were prominent themselves.

Gen 8 would probably be Cinderace as that has the most promotion behind it, but Toxtricity and Dragapult would be possible dark horses due to high popularity.
I agree with everything except for the possibility of Plusle and Minum which were probably scrapped during brawl development.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Here's how you really set the internet on fire:

Mother Collection:
  • Mother
  • Mother 2
  • Mother 3
Earthbound Collection:
  • Earthbound Beginnings
  • Earthbound
Both are $60, and have a limited release.
Actually, the Mother Collection is available full-time in Japan only while the EarthBound Collection is available in all other regions for 6 months.

Why are we still here, just to suffer?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Marill and Togepi also had a lot of promotion before Gold and Silver came out. Where did you think the Pikablu rumors came from?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Imagine if we end up getting an Avatar player character from an MMO game and somehow we can actually use a created character(albeit with fixed proportions) from that MMO game.
Dude... DUDE ok so here's my thought recently. Several great fighting games have a weird hybrid character like Mokujin, or Shang Tsung, or Dural,..... Prolly more (yeah? Idk) so what if the last fighter isn't a Mii but a crazy hybrid character that can do all the things.

But then I keep thinking and it's like nah it's gotta be something to finish of the ride and so far each reveal has tried to outdo the last amazing op wise and with so much of FP2 characters being go tos in tournament and stuff it's like who... Who can outdo all this? Craziness!

MattX20

Smash Hero
My personal speculation is that FP11 is going to be someone of note, and not just a standard promotional pick like the SMT5 protagonist or a new Pokemon (both of which I've seen as worst case scenario options in multiple speculation circles). Not Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot-style big name characters, but ones like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, or Arle from Puyo Puyo for example

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
My personal speculation is that FP11 is going to be someone of note, and not just a standard promotional pick like the SMT5 protagonist or a new Pokemon (both of which I've seen as worst case scenario options in multiple speculation circles). Not Master Chief or Crash Bandicoot-style big name characters, but ones like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, or Arle from Puyo Puyo for example
That is a pretty interesting postulation, Why do you think this? If I may ask, of course.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo gains nothing from any of those characters.

MattX20

Smash Hero
That is a pretty interesting postulation, Why do you think this? If I may ask, of course.
Mostly because of two reasons. The first being that Smash reveals typically get lower key as the pass progresses. The most hyped characters are usually no later than half way through the DLC pass and want them to be the main reasons for people to buy them. With FP1, Joker and Banjo were definitely the most hyped for Western audiences with Terry getting an honorable mention, while the DQ heroes were definitely the most hyped/well recieved characters among Japanese audiences. Steve and Sephiroth were definitely the most high profile characters of the second pass, and by far the ones that made the biggest impact, Min Min and Pyra and Mythra were fairly well receieved and not met with nearly universal revulsion like Byleth ultimately got. Kazuya's position in the pass mirrors Terry's in both how far along in their respective passes were released and how both were fighting game characters that got more appreciation after they released. The second reason is that I don't think Nintendo would want the DLC to end on a Byleth-level of disappointment or hatred. It wouldn't be wise this late into the DLC, especially since promotional picks like Corrin and Byleth were met with a lot of anger or resentment (it says a lot when the two most hated DLC reveals and releases for the past two Smash games came from the same series). That, and this is the last character for what might be the last Smash Bros game for many years. Plus, as Sakurai has stated in the past, the character has to at least be fun to play as and not necessarily the most iconic or recognizable.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I haven't seen SMTV as a worst-case scenario pick.

I think it'd be neat, especially since SMT has been with Nintendo since the Famicon in the 80's, and mainline SMT has been an almost exclusive Nintendo IP, with only Nocturne and like, Nine being not on Nintendo consoles, and even then, Nocturne was released.

MattX20

Smash Hero

I think it'd be neat, especially since SMT has been with Nintendo since the Famicon in the 80's, and mainline SMT has been an almost exclusive Nintendo IP, with only Nocturne and like, Nine being not on Nintendo consoles, and even then, Nocturne was released.
I've been on a lot of other forums and Discord servers. SMT's constantly a source of dread due to the "anime swordsman" stigma that can be applied to Nabohino or Demifiend's design not exactly being that appealing to most.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Not the same at all.

SMT and Persona as stated multiple times aren't from the same series. And no, Joker doesn't count as SMT representation even if you consider Persona a SMT spin-off (which isn't true and in any case, it's a spin-off from the larger Megami Tensei family).

Joker literally brought 0 SMT content unless him having a few spells originated from SMT in his moveset (Tetrakarn and Makarakarn) is enough to say SMT is represented in Smash, which obviously isn't the case.

Also, the Terry/Kyo example doesn't really work here. Terry is a Fatal Fury and KoF character. Kyo is only a KoF character. Terry is technically a Fatal Fury rep in Smash. But as we all know there's plenty of SNK content beyond Fatal Fury, including a Kyo cameo and tons of KoF music.

KoF has content in Smash, while SMT doesn't. If Joker had brought with him SMT spirits and music, I'd agree that a SMT character is an unlikely option.
But we're not in that scenario.

In any case, considering Joker as a SMT representative doesn't make sense. That would be like saying Mario reps Donkey Kong well enough and that we don't need Donkey Kong.
Right, okay, maybe the Kyo comparison was a little off. (I will note, however, that I specifically said "another MegaTen character" and did not mention SMT specifically.)

However, I stand by my main point: I don't think they would have another character from an RPG that takes place in relatively contemporary Japan and involves you commanding mythological figures including that one particular interpretation of Jack Frost. "Series content" doesn't factor into it. I know they've doubled up on character types before, but I do not believe they would double up to this particular extent for a third-party series.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I've been on a lot of other forums and Discord servers. SMT's constantly a source of dread due to the "anime swordsman" stigma that can be applied to Nabohino of Demifiend's design not exactly being that appealing to most.
That's fine.

**** 'em. :4pacman:

We still got probably a good month and a half before we know who CP11 is if we're lucky, at this point, I'm just having fun and not caring who it is.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman

In some cases people have used him to fill the “Mcswordy RPG character” archetype, but that doesn’t work because 3rd party RPG characters haven’t even begun to come to Smash yet and the only regular RPG additions are coming from a SRPG and an extremely casual turn based RPG with cartoony monsters from Nintendo(at least until new Xenoblade characters start appearing regularly in Smash and they basically fulfill the trope).

Nahobino has tons of evidence going for him and SMT has the legacy and the history with Nintendo, so anyone who is ******** about Nahobino being a sword using RPG guy is just going back on their hype on Joker when he doesn’t even have that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Right, okay, maybe the Kyo comparison was a little off. (I will note, however, that I specifically said "another MegaTen character" and did not mention SMT specifically.)

However, I stand by my main point: I don't think they would have another character from an RPG that takes place in relatively contemporary Japan and involves you commanding mythological figures including that one particular interpretation of Jack Frost. "Series content" doesn't factor into it. I know they've doubled up on character types before, but I do not believe they would double up to this particular extent for a third-party series.
I mean, maybe it's not gonna happen, but SMT is totally fair game for Smash, both for CP11 or future games.

Sharing a few similarities in setting isn't reason enough to exclude two different characters from different series, I'd say. Because that description sounds like something someone would have said against potential fighting game reps once we got Ryu. Or you could have said similar things about Byleth prior to their inclusion, explaining that Joker already covers the "RPG with a school setting". So I don't think this line of thinking is really effective or supposes a negative point against SMT.

Each character is added by different reasons, and with different circumstances. Persona games taking place in a modern japanese setting and having the SMT demons involved as personas isn't reason enough to exclude a SMT representative at all. If Joker had a moveset that revolved around summoning different personas, then I could buy your point to some extent because the "demon summoning" gimmick that a SMT character would have would be partially covered (partially, because in Persona they're basically stands rather than independent party allies) by Joker, something that would feel more of an obstacle for SMT.

That wasn't the case, so I don't see anything gameplay-wise that could be a problem for Demi-fiend, Nahobino, or whoever they picked to rep SMT.

MattX20

Smash Hero
In some cases people have used him to fill the “Mcswordy RPG character” archetype, but that doesn’t work because 3rd party RPG characters haven’t even begun to come to Smash yet and the only regular RPG additions are coming from a SRPG and an extremely casual turn based RPG with cartoony monsters from Nintendo(at least until new Xenoblade characters start appearing regularly in Smash and they basically fulfill the trope).

Nahobino has tons of evidence going for him and SMT has the legacy and the history with Nintendo, so anyone who is ******** about Nahobino being a sword using RPG guy is just going back on their hype on Joker when he doesn’t even have that.
My issue with Nabohino and people trying to argue in his favor is the development timeline. As I mentioned earlier today, the game only just entered in development in 2017, where as FE3H was in development even before that and planned to be a 3DS game initially, but was pushed back so it could become a Switch title. The full DLC roster was decided on by the end of 2018 and the negotiations for all of them concluded by the end of 2019. If SMT5 had been in development in 2016 or earlier, I would be a lot less skeptical. Plus, keep in mind that the most recent characters we got in this pass both came from games that came out in 2017.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
My issue with Nabohino and people trying to argue in his favor is the development timeline. As I mentioned earlier today, the game only just entered in development in 2017, where as FE3H was in development even before that and planned to be a 3DS game initially, but was pushed back so it could become a Switch title. The full DLC roster was decided on by the end of 2018 and the negotiations for all of them concluded by the end of 2019. If SMT5 had been in development in 2016 or earlier, I would be a lot less skeptical. Plus, keep in mind that the most recent characters we got in this pass both came from games that came out in 2017.
Why does that matter?

3 Houses came out in 2019. Regardless if 3 Houses was in development for a long time, I don't see how ARMs or XB2's release date has anything to do with that, if they want a character post-2017 in this pass, nothing stopping them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom