• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The results of the latest poll by INSIDE (gaming news site) just came out.

Q. What is the character you want for the very last DLC of Smash Ultimate?

1. Sora - 377 votes
2. Bandana Waddle Dee - 174 votes
3. 2B - 157 votes
4. Reimu Hakurei - 141 votes
5. Arle Nadja - 90 votes
6. Crash Bandicoot - 78 votes
7. Hunter - 72 votes
8. Cinderace - 57 votes
9. Imposter - 50 votes
10. Masahiro Sakurai - 48 votes

1. Sora - 290 votes
2. Dante - 91 votes
3. Hunter - 80 votes
4. Rex - 74 votes
5. 2B - 70 votes
6. Crash Bandicoot - 65 votes
7. Bandana Waddle Dee - 64 votes
8. Sephiroth - 59 votes
9. Arle Nadja - 56 votes
10. Steve - 55 votes
11. Artoria Pendragon - 52 votes
12. Kirito - 50 votes
13. Reimu Hakurei - 42 votes
14. Son Goku - 32 votes
15. Geno - 26 votes

And here are the honorable mentions who didn't quite get many votes but still interested the editor.

Saber (Artoria Pendragon)
Scorpion
Amaterasu
Reisalin Stout
Kazuma Kiryu
Arthur
Doom Slayer
Dante
Ryu Hayabusa
Itsuki Aoi & Mirage Chrom
Ratchet & Clank
Fall Guys
Agent Jones (Jonesy)
Master Chief
ICEY
Iori Yagami
KOS-MOS
Sol Badguy
Taboo
Palico
Demi-fiend
Agumon
Adol Christin
Yoiko (Japanese comedian)
INSIDE-chan
Normally I'd be happy Reimu and Bandana Dee are so high up but right now I'm still just wheezing over Sakurai himself making the top ten

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Let's hear it then!
Well, it was more "ideas" than anything concrete, but here's what I remember:

• It was set about a century or two after the original games, with Professor Hector and Professor Vector long dead.
  • R.O.B. is found and reactivated by a group of scavanger-types, who describe him as ancient technology.
  • One of those scavangers (didn't come up with a name, but they were a girl) essentially became R.O.B.'s partner.
  • As I said before, R.O.B.'s personality was based on WALL*E's.
  • The game was set in a "semi-post-apocalyptic" setting: mostly desert a la Mad Max, but still had high-tech cities and some degree of order. That being said, you could tell that any wrong move could cause what little structure there was to collapse in an instant...
  • It would've been a 3D platformer with combat elements, with most of R.O.B.'s moves coming from Smash.

That's all I remember, as this was from awhile ago, back before I even heard of Smashboards. I was an imaginitive kid...

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
  • It was set about a century or two after the original games, with Professor Hector and Professor Vector long dead.
  • R.O.B. is found and reactivated by a group of scavanger-types, who describe him as ancient technology.
  • One of those scavangers (didn't come up with a name, but they were a girl) essentially became R.O.B.'s partner.
  • The game was set in a "semi-post-apocalyptic" setting: mostly desert a la Mad Max, but still had high-tech cities and some degree of order. That being said, you could tell that any wrong move could cause what little structure there was to collapse in an instant...
So basically...

In all seriousness, I like this idea. Makes R.O.B feel like the last of its kind. I would be curious as to what the scavengers would hypothetically do with it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I wonder why there is never any discussion on Mike Haggar. Wasn’t Final Fight just as big as Streets of Rage? I hear Axel’s name come up every now and then but I never really see anyone bring up Mike.
People are too busy asking for Haggar in Steet Fighter V where he's easily the most requested character

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, it was more "ideas" than anything concrete, but here's what I remember:

• It would've been a 3D platformer with combat elements, with most of R.O.B.'s moves coming from Smash.

That's all I remember, as this was from awhile ago, back before I even heard of Smashboards. I was an imaginitive kid...
I'm into this. Reminds me of ReCore actually (which is a game I wish had been good, the potential was amazing)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The results of the latest poll by INSIDE (gaming news site) just came out.

Q. What is the character you want for the very last DLC of Smash Ultimate?

1. Sora - 377 votes
2. Bandana Waddle Dee - 174 votes
3. 2B - 157 votes
4. Reimu Hakurei - 141 votes
5. Arle Nadja - 90 votes
6. Crash Bandicoot - 78 votes
7. Hunter - 72 votes
8. Cinderace - 57 votes
9. Imposter - 50 votes
10. Masahiro Sakurai - 48 votes

1. Sora - 290 votes
2. Dante - 91 votes
3. Hunter - 80 votes
4. Rex - 74 votes
5. 2B - 70 votes
6. Crash Bandicoot - 65 votes
7. Bandana Waddle Dee - 64 votes
8. Sephiroth - 59 votes
9. Arle Nadja - 56 votes
10. Steve - 55 votes
11. Artoria Pendragon - 52 votes
12. Kirito - 50 votes
13. Reimu Hakurei - 42 votes
14. Son Goku - 32 votes
15. Geno - 26 votes

And here are the honorable mentions who didn't quite get many votes but still interested the editor.

Saber (Artoria Pendragon)
Scorpion
Amaterasu
Reisalin Stout
Kazuma Kiryu
Arthur
Doom Slayer
Dante
Ryu Hayabusa
Itsuki Aoi & Mirage Chrom
Ratchet & Clank
Fall Guys
Agent Jones (Jonesy)
Master Chief
ICEY
Iori Yagami
KOS-MOS
Sol Badguy
Taboo
Palico
Demi-fiend
Agumon
Adol Christin
Yoiko (Japanese comedian)
INSIDE-chan
Well, that's a fairly substantial list of characters. Most of these characters have a chance

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Reviews for NEO: TWEWY are coming up and looks like it's great, as expected

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'm convinced they're talking about this Masahiro Sakurai:

The SMT rep we deserve.
When Nahobino is revealed Sakurai is going to cosplay as Spooky, he HAS to for the finale.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This whole conversation about Sakurai choosing Joker and Terry lead me to thinking... those two would be the obvious ones, given how much praise he has given them both. Is there a third series he has said has heavily informed Smash, that could potentially be his third pick and the final character?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
And yet all he gets are cameos and mentions...

INB4 he's the last DLC character.
Maybe he could work for Smash. Similar to Incineroar's moveset without the fire and he'll pick weapons from Final Fight like a Knife, Pipe, Katana, Nightstick, Nunchuks, Club, Hammer, etc. The Pipe is the best suitable weapon for Haggar; it can act like a battering item, except you can use Up Smash and Down Smash. The rest can be thrown or just only use neutral attack.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
This whole conversation about Sakurai choosing Joker and Terry lead me to thinking... those two would be the obvious ones, given how much praise he has given them both. Is there a third series he has said has heavily informed Smash, that could potentially be his third pick and the final character?
He brings up SMT EVERY time he mentions Persona.

It’s Nahobino.

MattX20

Smash Hero

It’s Nahobino.
No, the development timeline doesn't make sense. The game only entered development in 2017, and the characters were apparently all decided by 2018, and negotiations for them concluded by the end of 2019. If the game entered development in 2016, then maybe, but that's not what we got. SMT5 wouldn't have a basic demo for Sakurai to try in just one year, where as FE3H(love it or hate it) had one for reference

Merengue

Smash Journeyman

It’s Nahobino.
Sorry, but are you sure? He only said Megami Tensei not "Shin Megami Tensei" in his posts. I'm not sure if Sakurai is that passionate about Shin Megami Tensei because for now, it seemed he only liked Persona 5

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I haven't been confident in much throughout speculation, but... I don't think we're getting Nahobino or Demi-fiend or any other MegaTen character.

My reasoning: we already got Joker, and I can't see them going for two characters from the same third-party series, or even from closely-related third-party series. It'd be like if we got Terry and then got Kyo in pass 2.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

It’s Nahobino.
I honestly think its just because he likes Persona and "praises it more highly [than he does other games]."
I'm really hoping the final character is not Nahobino. To me, it is one of the few options on par with M5rth
Watch we do get Mike Haggar because Sakurai wanted another grappler character after Incineroar.

No complaints. He'd be a cool addition.
You know, this is another interesting approach. We've been over second chance theory for Chorus Kids, Dixie, and half a dozen others.
But, is there a second chance archetype that he could return to? I remember only two archetypes he said he wanted, and those were both only confirmed after the characers- puppeteer Rosalina, and grappler Incineroar.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Maybe he could work for Smash. Similar to Incineroar's moveset without the fire and he'll pick weapons from Final Fight like a Knife, Pipe, Katana, Nightstick, Nunchuks, Club, Hammer, etc. The Pipe is the best suitable weapon for Haggar; it can act like a battering item, except you can use Up Smash and Down Smash. The rest can be thrown or just only use neutral attack.
I was referring to in Street Fighter V, but this would be pretty neat too. At the very least, and item based heavy character would be a pretty cool idea.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
You know, this is another interesting approach. We've been over second chance theory for Chorus Kids, Dixie, and half a dozen others.
But, is there a second chance archetype that he could return to? I remember only two archetypes he said he wanted, and those were both only confirmed after the characers- puppeteer Rosalina, and grappler Incineroar.
I wonder if there's a character that is part of the second chance theory, but was never revealed to the public.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
No, the development timeline doesn't make sense. The game only entered development in 2017, and the characters were apparently all decided by 2018, and negotiations for them concluded by the end of 2019. If the game entered development in 2016, then maybe, but that's not what we got. SMT5 wouldn't have a basic demo for Sakurai to try in just one year, where as FE3H(love it or hate it) had one for reference
Three Houses started development after SMT V. Sakurai could have played SMT V this year and he could easily finish the character, I don’t know where you are getting that Sakurai has to have a demo in 2018.
Sorry, but are you sure? He only said Megami Tensei not "Shin Megami Tensei" in his posts. I'm not sure if Sakurai is that passionate about Shin Megami Tensei because for now, it seemed he only liked Persona 5
He literally does it in the Atlus interview multiple times and in his Persona anniversary tweet.

“I won’t get into the muddy waters where SMT ended and Persona began”(yet LOL)

He has played every Megaten and maybe even every Atlus game, I guarantee you(including Soul Hackers, obviously). He literally mentions ETRIAN ODYSSEY in the Atlus interview of all things.

Megami Tensei is also not the label for Persona in Japan, it is Megami Ibunroku. He is saying that because he plays Megaten games in general and associates them together like most Japanese Atlus fans do. In Japan basically everyone who plays Persona plays SMT.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

He has played every Megaten and maybe even every Atlus game, I guarantee you(including Soul Hackers, obviously). He literally mentions ETRIAN ODYSSEY in the Atlus interview of all things.

Megami Tensei is also not the label for Persona in Japan, it is Megami Ibunroku. He is saying that because he plays Megaten games in general and associates them together like most Japanese Atlus fans do. In Japan basically everyone who plays Persona plays SMT.
All reasons I don't want to see an SMT character.
Though I was convinced to get into the games (they do seem fun), I don't see at all how Nabahiro(?) looks unique. Bland suit, bland powers, standard silhouette. I'm not seeing anything unique.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Do you guys want to see the return of stage bosses?

Like for example, a stage based on raccon police station entrance where Nemesis appears a boss stage.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Though I was convinced to get into the games (they do seem fun), I don't see at all how Nabahiro(?) looks unique. Bland suit, bland powers, standard silhouette. I'm not seeing anything unique.
I mean

Demon summoning.

I don't think it'll happen, but this is a series like Pokemon, except think what if Pokemon Trainer was fighting alongside his Pokemon instead of just being a background asset.

Shin Megami Tensei 5 already has been confirmed to have 210+ demons, that's a lot to work with to build a moveset off of.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Three Houses started development after SMT V. Sakurai could have played SMT V this year and he could easily finish the character, I don’t know where you are getting that Sakurai has to have a demo in 2018.

He literally does it in the Atlus interview multiple times and in his Persona anniversary tweet.

No, that's not even remotely true. FE3H was originally intended for the 3DS, but was bumped up to a Switch title later on. The game was in development longer than SMT5 was

Shroob

Sup?
No, that's not even remotely true. FE3H was originally intended for the 3DS, but was bumped up to a Switch title later on. The game was in development longer than SMT5 was
SMT5 however was announced at the literal first Switch premier, and considering the game comes out in a few months, and was in a very good state when shown late last year, I think more work's been done on it than we realize.

Hell, we knew the MC from the very first trailer, albeit only from behind.

MattX20

Smash Hero
SMT5 however was announced at the literal first Switch premier, and considering the game comes out in a few months, and was in a very good state when shown late last year, I think more work's been done on it than we realize.

Hell, we knew the MC from the very first trailer, albeit only from behind.
No, the first major 3rd party game announced for the Switch was Dragon Quest 11S. SMT5 wasn't officially announced or revealed to be in development until late 2017 alongside Bayonetta 3.

Last edited:

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Demon summoning and insane acrobatics and speed with materialized energy weapons is bland? What?

Also, his “suit” is one of his best design features.

Also, you know how the final fighter is supposedly powerful enough to kill Dharkon and Galeem? Nahobino literally can.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
No, the first major 3rd party game announced for the Switch was Dragon Quest 11S. SMT5 wasn't officially announced or revealed to be in development until late 2017 alongside Bayonetta 3.
Are we talking about the same thing? Because I'm talking about this:

This was the big Switch presentation where we learned about everything.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Are we talking about the same thing? Because I'm talking about this:

This was the big Switch presentation where we learned about everything.
Mara was literally there.

LOL

Although Dragon Quest XI Switch was known about when the Switch was still the “NX”.

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Well it's not like a basic Demo is required, it wasn't for Greninja, and he's going to be working closely with the Atlus devs in order to bring this character to life anyway. But that's assuming they go the SMT5 route.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm. It does seem Sakurai is a big fan of Shin Megami Tensei. Is a third party a shoe-in since it's the final character of the entire game? Byleth doesn't count because we knew 6 other characters were coming. Also, that one guy who predicted that the last character is a Phoenix-wright tier pick.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm. It does seem Sakurai is a big fan of Shin Megami Tensei. Is a third party a shoe-in since it's the final character of the entire game? Byleth doesn't count because we knew 6 other characters were coming. Also, that one guy who predicted that the last character is a Phoenix-wright tier pick.
There isn’t a relevant 1st party left other than maybe Metroid, and Metroid has all of its relevant characters in Smash aside from the Prime characters(which wouldn’t be the pick to go with Dread).

Even if Pokémon didn’t have a spirit event there is no way they would use the last slot for Pokémon and bury SMT V for the holidays when they come out a week apart.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
MegaTen isn't the same thing as Shin Megami Tensei. That's just the big universe that connects all the games overall. Persona and Shin Megami Tensei are separate parts of it. It's pretty much the same way that DKC and Super Mario are treated. Clearly connected, but different worlds. And have had crossovers/relations(Donkey Kong is the first game after all, which split off into Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario in general as series). Do note that the difference is SMT spun-off into Persona but didn't spin-off into another series. So it's that they're treated as different series in the MegaTen Universe, but the timeline obviously doesn't work the same way in the analogy.

Who knows if a SMT character would come up, but right now we don't have anything related to it, just Persona, A separate series, according to Atlus, for all intents and purposes. It's like saying adding Birdo magically adds a Donkey Kong Country character. Just... no. Incidentally Pauline is like the only one who could work as DKC or Super Mario anyway, due to origins and it really depends how she's represented. I don't remember what her Lady Spirit(the original name of her) even falls under. Obviously the Odyssey design clearly would fall under Super Mario since it's literally based upon her latest appearance in Odyssey. That makes sense. A lot of spirits work that way anyway. It's very logical to base it upon what game that particular version of the character came from, and thus, the franchise.

Ah, just checked. She does have two spirits. A Super Mario and a Donkey Kong one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom