• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's because technically platformers are a subgenre of the action genre. Action games can mean anything from platformers to shooters to fighting games.
Which makes it useless as a descriptive term so who cares?

There is an argument to be made that all videogames can be placed in a three-way spectrum between action, RPG, and adventure (which also can encompass games as disparate as Breath of the Wild and Professor Layton). Game genre classification is fascinating.
Fascinating is...certainly one way to put it.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
There’s also no reason to believe that Nintendo is going to wait for an anniversary of the game when they’ve had a dramatic tendency to ignore anniversaries entirely. It’s all baseless speculation but one thing we do know is that, in Nintendo’s near 10-year tenure of doing Nintendo Directs, late August to early October has always been a busy period for Directs and the characters so far in this pass have been revealed and released within a 2-3 month period of each other. Even in the Pandemic Year of 2020 we got, what, 4 directs in that same time period?

It seems more likely for them to reveal and release the last character within an August-October time period than for them to hold off a well finished character for an arbitrary date or event in December.
This is the end of the dlc, it doesn’t matter what they have done in the past to proceed to the next character because there isn’t one this time.

Directs don’t always correlate to fighters.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is the end of the dlc, it doesn’t matter what they have done in the past to proceed to the next character because there isn’t one this time.

But still, every single standard Nintendo direct has had Smash news in it ever since the first teaser all the way back in March of 2018.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
You’re basing the last character being announced towards the end of the year based on a statement said by sakurai that doesn’t even give a timeframe.

When he said “it will take a while” he said that in June. By the time we hit September it’ll have been over 3 months since he said that.

I don’t understand how 3 months isn’t awhile.

We ain’t waiting till around December or November for an announcement there’s no evidence for that whatsoever, only a statement you seem to be taking well out of context.
3 Months isn’t “a while” because we have been waiting for at least 3 months for literally every character since 2018. If the character was coming out in September Sakurai would have said the character is coming out soon, not a while.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I mean
They could easily NOT reveal the character outright in the September Direct (we're def gonna get one), but they could either hint at it, pull an ARMS and say it's a character from "this" game, or give an official date for when the fighter would be revealed.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
I mean
They could easily NOT reveal the character outright in the September Direct (we're def gonna get one), but they could either hint at it, pull an ARMS and say it's a character from "this" game, or give an official date for when the fighter would be revealed.
But saying that the character is from SMT would immediately lead to Nahobino and Demi-Fiend being guessed, and Nahobino would be WAY in the lead at that point. Far different than Min-Min winning what was essentially a tie between the top ARMS characters.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
But saying that the character is from SMT would immediately lead to Nahobino and Demi-Fiend being guessed, and Nahobino would be WAY in the lead at that point. Far different than Min-Min winning what was essentially a tie between the top ARMS characters.
... when did I ever say anything SMT related for this topic? They could do this for series that are more fitting, i.e. games where there's no main character, like LoL or something

They won’t.
They COULD. Reread Riley's wording, dude.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
3 Months isn’t “a while” because we have been waiting for at least 3 months for literally every character since 2018. If the character was coming out in September Sakurai would have said the character is coming out soon, not a while.
3 months is a while and this type of situation has happened before where he says one thing and goes completely against it

I guess everyone’s just forgotten about the time when sakurai said “I kinda hope you aren’t expecting many base roster characters as we’ve made bringing everyone back our main goal”

Same type of situation. We ended up getting 10 for base roster even though he said don’t expect many base roster characters so sakurai saying we’ll have to wait awhile doesn’t mean we’d have to wait till December

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"A while" is an undefined period of time.
6 hours ago to now would qualify as "a while"
So would June to July/August/September/October etc.
He's really only saying it because game development is pretty volatile and can change on a whim if something goes wrong so it gives him leeway.

3 months is a while and this type of situation has happened before where he says one thing and goes completely against it

I guess everyone’s just forgotten about the time when sakurai said “I kinda hope you aren’t expecting many base roster characters as we’ve made bringing everyone back our main goal”

Same type of situation. We ended up getting 10 for base roster even though he said don’t expect many base roster characters so sakurai saying we’ll have to wait awhile doesn’t mean we’d have to wait till December
It's 11 newcomers in the base game

In the context of Smash, 11 is the lowest we've gotten for base game newcomers so I wouldn't consider it to be "many" to be honest, especially when you consider that 5 of them are echo fighters. Even considering Melee's clones, it'd still have more unique newcomers than Ultimate too.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

The End of DLC has never made a difference in reveals before.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman

There weren’t that many characters added to the base roster new to the series. You had four echoes, Inklings,King K Rool, Isabelle, Simon, Ridley and Incineroar.

He was also most likely talking about not being able to put in Piranha Plant in time and failing to get Xenoblade 2 and ARMS reps like he wanted because “Everyone is here” took too long to implement.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I wonder if Sakurai is going to tweet something like "Production on the final fighter is complete! Thank you all so much for your patience. We will work to reveal the fighter as soon as we can." at some point.

Probably not, but it's just a fun though.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you guys think there is any chance Smash will ever get a fully fleshed out create a character separate from Miis? I would love that more than almost anything but the combination of it being very difficult when Smash has so many completely different styles and the existence of Miis makes me a little doubtful.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think there is any chance Smash will ever get a fully fleshed out create a character separate from Miis? I would love that more than almost anything but the combination of it being very difficult when Smash has so many completely different styles and the existence of Miis makes me a little doubtful.
Probably not considering Nintendo wants to use both base roster reveals and dlc reveals to add as many characters from established franchises as they can.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If I understand what you're saying, then yes you're right.
I was thinking more on the lines of the reveals themselves.
In Pass 1, there was a 6 month gap between knowing that Joker was Cp1 (December 2018) and knowing that Hero was Cp2 (June 2019). Yes, we did get both Plant and Joker released within that gap, but my point still stands.

The biggest FP2 gap I can think of was the gap between knowing that Pythra was Cp9 (February 2021) and knowing that Kazuya was Cp10 (June 2021), which was 4 months.

Though a 6 month gap or something is still possible for Cp11.

Maybe we could get surprised bonus content out of nowhere like a surprise random stage (like Small Battlefield) along said gap.
A 6 month gap is extremely unlikely for two reasons. 1, the DLC development team wouldn't be juggling the development of multiple characters at once, so development would actually be faster and less hindered compared to when they developed by Min Min and Steve who were by far the most complex characters in the pass to make. 2, unless the character is somehow more complex than Steve to integrate (who may I remind you that Sakurai and the team had to rebuild the game around his gimmick/playstyle in order to work), I seriously doubt any character would take 6 months to make.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I find it interesting how Harada is asking this question.
I expect a lot of "can you revive X franchise when you're done with Ultimate next?" questions.

No. That's what Miis are for.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not unless the Miis are retired. Besides, other create-a-characters wouldn't be as diverse since they'd be stuck with their series's conventions.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think I would be more accepting of Miis if the default was the deluxe mascot head. A lot of Miis just end up looking like a Mii in cosplay instead of the character it is trying to look like. The Sonic characters like Knuckles are some of the worst offenders. Knuckles would have probably looked fine with the Deluxe head.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's because technically platformers are a subgenre of the action genre. Action games can mean anything from platformers to shooters to fighting games.
I mean, if you want to take it that far, then technically- there are only three genres to which everything can be brought. You could do the same with movies too, and say everything is derived of tragedy or comedy. That's just not the colloquial division, as it is a useless means of categorization, and their are no governing laws of such organization. So, for marketing purposes if nothing else- then we have romcoms, we have horror, we have documentary.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think I would be more accepting of Miis if the default was the deluxe mascot head. A lot of Miis just end up looking like a Mii in cosplay instead of the character it is trying to look like. The Sonic characters like Knuckles are some of the worst offenders. Knuckles would have probably looked fine with the Deluxe head.
I think that's the point. Miis were never supposed to look like the character costumes. They are, well, Miis. This is like getting angry at cosplayers for not looking exactly like the characters they are cosplaying.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think that's the point. Miis were never supposed to look like the character costumes. They are, well, Miis. This is like getting angry at cosplayers for not looking exactly like the characters they are cosplaying.
I’m not angry at all. I’m just explaining why I personally don’t care for them. I have nothing against anyone that does. Plus, modding is a thing so I’m not really bothered too much by it.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I find it interesting how Harada is asking this question.
Already asked my TimeSplitters related question to him.

Time to Split!

I'm ready to go compressed.gif

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is why we need Miitopia's Mii Maker add-on to be on the Switch proper.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
On this whole topic of what constitutes "a while,"
--- I still cannot believe that people will try to read language that is said with such obscurity.
Again, I refer to PR talk. That's honestly half the reason we get the Sakurai presents- to smooth out how fans receive the character and expectations that are brought up; this is as much the goal as explaining the character. I doubt they even knew what date the character would be coming when they said "a while."

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I remember there was a sonic glitch going around for a while to do with sonic’s shadow and alts or something like that. I can’t remember it fully but it was discovered on gamefaqs after pyra and myphra’s reveal.

Does anyone know about the glitch and if it had anything to do with kazuya. If it wasn’t to do with kazuya does anyone reckon it has something to do with the next character potentially assuming it was to do with a character which it might not of been.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Listen- I am literally the first person to say, "Don't take Sakurai at face value- because it doesn't workout historically, and it is a limited POV in the first place."
But... we got 6 characters in the base roster. If you count new echoes, we got 11.
But I'm not counting echoes in this.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know I feel Echoes had a lot more potential as a concept. We could have gotten more than just 7

if the next game builds directly off Ultimate or is even just straight up an expanded port, I would like to see more Echoes. Feel like Violet (Persona 5 Royal) is a shoo in if the “Jane” with the ponytail in Joker’s file is an indication

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tfw no Octoling echo :c

unless… they’re the last DLC as a semi-clone at most, fully unique at least (only sharing the up B and ink mechanic, literally every other move is different than Inkling)

I want to believe okay

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean, I do.
But moreso, I get angry at cosplayers who 'do the poses' with no amount of intensity behind it.
I'm tired of seeing people lift their arms lightly, like I'm supposed to then believe a bolt of lightning is coming from it.
That's only cosplay of WB actors.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm not seeing any echo fighters taking the final spot. More than likely, it's a Capcom or Sega rep. I might've considered Konami but Contra's not a priority for them and Silent Hill...well if RE could only get a spirit event, chances are the psychological horror and more grotesque elements probably won't get in without being severely toned down since CERO's pretty strict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom