• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hot take maybe but EarthBound really only needs Ness to represent it imo. No matter how amazing the games are, it's not too big of a series and including either of the other two protagonists would just be retreading Ness, who is the big posterboy. In general though I'm in favor of representing each series a little bit less if it means more different series can get fighters.
And Lucas only got in because of Sakurai not knowing that Mother 3 was going to be Japan-only.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yea but I don't think two characters is a lot no matter how small a series is. Plus there is emulation to play Mother 3 in English.
Emulation is...not an official release.

If the only way to play a game in English is illegal, then it doesn't count as being available in English.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
You didn't give series, you gave specific titles, which seems less fitting. For example, a God of War character... by all accounts... should be Kratos. But Kratos released in his debut game, which came out in 2005- the 2008 moniker is inconsequential.
Good points.
I should’ve said series/games. Thanks for that heads up

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Hot take maybe but EarthBound really only needs Ness to represent it imo. No matter how amazing the games are, it's not too big of a series and including either of the other two protagonists would just be retreading Ness, who is the big posterboy. In general though I'm in favor of representing each series a little bit less if it means more different series can get fighters.
Yea I agree that different series should get the spotlight instead of another Earthbound character. I'm just thinking that two fighters is not a lot. Just adequate, but it could use one more as the "cherry on top"

Slime Master

Smash Ace
DQ1 is the original franchise game, which positioned the genre to create millions of later games. This wasn't cause of later games. This is the impact the first game had alone. It's the reason Final Fantasy and countless RPG's exist. It just wasn't that popular as a game in the West.
Yeah, I know. The part where it gets weird is arbitrarily throwing DQ2 in there of all things. But metal slimes as a whole are a super iconic concept and LMS isn't a pallette swap of another spirit so it was picked to rep metal slimes. It's stuff like that that leads me to believe this selection is more about repping the series as a whole over those individual games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I know. The part where it gets weird is arbitrarily throwing DQ2 in there of all things. But metal slimes as a whole are a super iconic concept and LMS isn't a pallette swap of another spirit so it was picked to rep metal slimes. It's stuff like that that leads me to believe this selection is more about repping the series as a whole over those individual games.
Right. I agree. As I said, I misunderstood the data~

Anyway, Metal Slimes at least debuted in the first game.

I'm thinking it's just whatever artwork looked best. So yeah... sounds arbitrary when I have the proper data, heh.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Emulation is...not an official release.

If the only way to play a game in English is illegal, then it doesn't count as being available in English.
If there is a way for someone to play the game in English, then it counts. Pup said the game doesn't have an english version, but it does (just not officially)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If there is a way for someone to play the game in English, then it counts. Pup said the game doesn't have an english version, but it does (just not officially)
The countries a game is released in only tracks official content. Western Mother 3 is not official content, therefore, Mother 3 is Japan only.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If it's not recognized by Nintendo it may as well not exist to them, which, I presume, lies at the crux of this entire argument.

Technically? An English version of Mother 3 exists.
Practically? It doesn't matter.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yea I agree that different series should get the spotlight instead of another Earthbound character. I'm just thinking that two fighters is not a lot. Just adequate, but it could use one more as the "cherry on top"
I legitimately think that one more Earthbound character would be heavy overrepresentation.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Man I beat Ys 8 and No More Heroes 2 today, good ****.

As for the years without characters:

1982: abstain, nothing good
1995: Bass from Mega Man 7
2003: Lyn from FE7
2008: Shanoa from Order of Ecclesia
2014: Estelle from Trails in the Sky, if it doesn't count because Japan got it a decade earlier, Shovel Knight
2018: Miriam from Bloodstained

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
By this logic, Mother 4 exists- it's a game people can play, even if it is not cannon.
By this logic, Porky is probably already playable in Smash Bros, as I'm sure in some version, somewhere, someone added him to a fanmade game.
By this logic, Earthbound is oversaturated.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If it's not recognized by Nintendo it may as well not exist to them, which, I presume, lies at the crux of this entire argument.
In fact it did exist to them they would be trying to stamp it out as much as possible.

Actually, the people who made the English translation for Mother 3 did present it to Nintendo first IIRC, so the fact it even exists is because they willingly turned a blind eye because they knew people like it, and have no plans to ever release it themselves. In the unlikely event that it happens, I wouldn't be surprised if they tipped us off that they were going to release the game by finally taking it down.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It doesn't help that the game series is officially finished. It felt lucky it got as much as it did at any point.

I mean, I'd love more to. Most definitely. Porky is cool. But unfortunately, we already know Sakurai is hesitant right now(since the series isn't getting any games any time soon), and if Mother 3 isn't being localized, Nintendo has very little incentive to choose anyone. Lucas already exists, which is still a lot alone. I feel the game has a lot more than expected as is. I'd just have loved a second Porky spirit that was a bit... better?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And Lucas only got in because of Sakurai not knowing that Mother 3 was going to be Japan-only.
Which is why Lucas probably also talked English in our versions. Of all the characters we had speaking Japanese, Lucas makes the most sense. Cause we all know a localization isn't happening.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Which is why Lucas probably also talked English in our versions. Of all the characters we had speaking Japanese, Lucas makes the most sense. Cause we all know a localization isn't happening.
You mean with a more English accent? Unless PK Freeze is different in Japanese he wouldn't need a different voice actor for other regions.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Okay everyone I have a question for you all.

What are 3 characters that you’re extremely confident in being the final spot. Your soo confident about them that you’ve never been more confident in your entire life.

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

A sega rep (if I have to be specific which I guess i do id probably say a phantasy star rep.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman

What are 3 characters that you’re extremely confident in being the final spot. Your soo confident about them that you’ve never been more confident in your entire life.

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

A sega rep (if I have to be specific which I guess i do id probably say a phantasy star rep.
Phoenix Wright - All of Capcom's stuff got deconfirmed basically, so he's the major frontrunner.

Dr. Eggman - A no-brainer for a new Sonic rep. I've been wanting a new Sonic rep since launch, but my hopes were dashed when they revealed Eggman (and the majority of the Sonic cast) as a spirit

Gordon Freeman/Chell- Valve is very lax with their IPs. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to get them. Gordon could have a very cool moveset with his crowbar and many tech weapons. Chell would be a very fun but hard to learn character and can basically control the stage.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

None.

It's too unpredictable for me. The only one I had any real confidence in among both Passes at this point was Steve, and it wasn't hard for me to see him coming. And no, the leaks didn't do a thing for me. He's what I consider a top gaming icon. That's all that I needed to have confidence in him.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is a kind of fun game. I'll play along, and add the ones from others where I also agre.

1982: Donkey Kong Jr, Pitfall Harry, QBert, Dig Dug
1995: Rayman, Dixie Kong, Lip (Panel de Pon),
2003: Ratchet and Clank,
2008: Chorus Kids, Sackboy,
2014: Freddy (FNAF), Shovel Knight, Captain Toad (a debatable one, but I'm putting it here)
2018: --------- closest I could find is Donut County, and that's mostly personal affinity and uniqueness, not something I'd consider worthwhile

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I have no unshaken confidence for anyone but if I were a betting man I’d say we haven’t seen the last of Ubisoft yet. Whether that means they have some Mii in the last wave or Ubisoft does indeed deliver the final character is not a question I would answer with any of that certainty.
Aside from that I could finish the trifecta with Splatoon and Mario

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Gordon Freeman/Chell- Valve is very lax with their IPs. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to get them. Gordon could have a very cool moveset with his crowbar and many tech weapons. Chell would be a very fun but hard to learn character and can basically control the stage.
although it might not even be evidence, that “”potentially fake”” Mario Rapper 4chan leak did say we’d get Valve content of some kind in pass 2 0-0

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I haven't been keeping up with Smash Speculation lately, has any interesting Theories, Rumors, Essays happen?

In any case, I actually have a theory I wanted to share. It was originally going to encompass much more, but it's alot to write, so maybe do part 2 later, but Here's a theory I had

The Bonus Slot thing that was implied by the website is still a Mystery to this day. It Implies something bigger than just a Mii Costume, like a potential Bonus Fighter, but with Sakurai saying that CP11 is the absolute last character, a Bonus Fighter seems out of the question, but I have an idea of what it could be for, but it does imply connection with a Company and/or Franchise that hasn't made appearance in FP2, since this Bonus thing hasn't come around yet either

I think the Bonus Slot thing could be for a Movie Sonic Skin, and I'll explain here

-Sega has been making use of the Movie Sonic Design. The more recent example has been a Movie Sonic Boost Pack coming with Sonic Colors Ultimate, but Movie Sonic has also appeared in Mobile games like Sonic Forces Speed Battle

-The important thing for the timeline is that the appearance in Sonic Forces Speed Battle was actually before the Movie came out, around in January. This would have been when Fighter Pass 2 was first put on sale

It's actually unknown if the Bonus Slot was always there when Fighter Pass 2 was added to the Eshop, or if it was added later. Either way, Sega were using the Design before it was known how the Movie will perform, perhaps due to confidence in the movie, and also promotion, so whether the Slot was always there or added later, the idea of a Movie Sonic Skin being planned can work for both scenarios

Regarding Nintendo on the matter, I am sure they know that a Movie is a big deal, considering they put out Detective Pikachu, and coming out with Super Mario Bros. Movie. The Sonic Movie was also known about Officially in April, with the News about updating the Design coming in May, and with the New (Improved) Design being shown off in November, so that is time that Nintendo could have planned around the production of a Movie Sonic Skin

I think what both Nintendo and Sega can agree on is that Many people either might be introduced to Sonic through the movie, or at the least see him in a New light through the movie. I think if this skin was in production, it would have been on the wishes of Sega to have some type of Movie Tie in Skin in the game

Sega does seem to want to establish Sonic through the movie avenue, in that the First Sonic Movie wasn't the only planned movie, which adds more reason to want to have Movie Sonic have as much presence

-A Skin should be pretty easy development relative to other potential avenues, like a Stage, or a Whole character. In regards to Movie Sonic, the main difference between Movie Sonic and Regular Sonic is that Movie Sonic has more realistic fur, which shouldn't be too hard to Implement

-We have also seen with Cloud that they do make Changes to already Existing characters through the DLC, as Cloud got new Final Smash when Sephiroth came out

With all of this being said, if this were to be true, it would suggest that CP11 is a Sega Related character in someway. Considering that Sega hasn't made an Appearance in FP2 yet, even though we know they are involved due to Sonic's Appearance in CGI, It's easy to believe they have something related to them coming in CP11 anyway

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I have no unshaken confidence for anyone but if I were a betting man I’d say we haven’t seen the last of Ubisoft yet. Whether that means they have some Mii in the last wave or Ubisoft does indeed deliver the final character is not a question I would answer with any of that certainty.
Aside from that I could finish the trifecta with Splatoon and Mario
Rayman, Ezio, and the Prince of Persia

3 great characters right there

Prince of Persia being the oldest, since 1989. Imagine if it’s him to tie in with the Sands of Time remake

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Characters I'd put more money on?
Dixie, Dragaux, Paper Mario, Balloon Fighter, Rayman
By no means is this the full list, or does it mean anything.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So I haven't been keeping up with Smash Speculation lately, has any interesting Theories, Rumors, Essays happen?

In any case, I actually have a theory I wanted to share. It was originally going to encompass much more, but it's alot to write, so maybe do part 2 later, but Here's a theory I had

The Bonus Slot thing that was implied by the website is still a Mystery to this day. It Implies something bigger than just a Mii Costume, like a potential Bonus Fighter, but with Sakurai saying that CP11 is the absolute last character, a Bonus Fighter seems out of the question, but I have an idea of what it could be for, but it does imply connection with a Company and/or Franchise that hasn't made appearance in FP2, since this Bonus thing hasn't come around yet either

I think the Bonus Slot thing could be for a Movie Sonic Skin, and I'll explain here

-Sega has been making use of the Movie Sonic Design. The more recent example has been a Movie Sonic Boost Pack coming with Sonic Colors Ultimate, but Movie Sonic has also appeared in Mobile games like Sonic Forces Speed Battle

-The important thing for the timeline is that the appearance in Sonic Forces Speed Battle was actually before the Movie came out, around in January. This would have been when Fighter Pass 2 was first put on sale

It's actually unknown if the Bonus Slot was always there when Fighter Pass 2 was added to the Eshop, or if it was added later. Either way, Sega were using the Design before it was known how the Movie will perform, perhaps due to confidence in the movie, and also promotion, so whether the Slot was always there or added later, the idea of a Movie Sonic Skin being planned can work for both scenarios

Regarding Nintendo on the matter, I am sure they know that a Movie is a big deal, considering they put out Detective Pikachu, and coming out with Super Mario Bros. Movie. The Sonic Movie was also known about Officially in April, with the News about updating the Design coming in May, and with the New (Improved) Design being shown off in November, so that is time that Nintendo could have planned around the production of a Movie Sonic Skin

I think what both Nintendo and Sega can agree on is that Many people either might be introduced to Sonic through the movie, or at the least see him in a New light through the movie. I think if this skin was in production, it would have been on the wishes of Sega to have some type of Movie Tie in Skin in the game

Sega does seem to want to establish Sonic through the movie avenue, in that the First Sonic Movie wasn't the only planned movie, which adds more reason to want to have Movie Sonic have as much presence

-A Skin should be pretty easy development relative to other potential avenues, like a Stage, or a Whole character. In regards to Movie Sonic, the main difference between Movie Sonic and Regular Sonic is that Movie Sonic has more realistic fur, which shouldn't be too hard to Implement

-We have also seen with Cloud that they do make Changes to already Existing characters through the DLC, as Cloud got new Final Smash when Sephiroth came out

With all of this being said, if this were to be true, it would suggest that CP11 is a Sega Related character in someway. Considering that Sega hasn't made an Appearance in FP2 yet, even though we know they are involved due to Sonic's Appearance in CGI, It's easy to believe they have something related to them coming in CP11 anyway
It seems like it would be kinda weird for them to do a skin for just a single character (especially if it's unrelated to Challenger Pack 11), but assuming we are getting something more, then alternate costumes seem plausible.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Rayman is purple too..
Color theory stans where you at?
This is satire, don’t come at me, I’m well aware that theory holds little to no water

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

I'm not confident enough to pretend to be as competent as that so.... How about we split the difference and I'll just give my top 3 picks based on everything I've considered to date...

1. Crash Bandicoot
2. Doomguy
3. Mickey Mouse

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

I don’t think its completely off the table, but doing a one off costume DLC for one character and never again just doesn’t seem very likely imo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I want to believe it’s a pack of three stages. After all there will be three empty stage spots after the pass ends, and they said CP11 was the last character. Didn’t say anything about non-character content. And I think they’d be new stages, cuz as much as I want it, paying for WoL stages outside of the mode is kinda scummy and best for a free update

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Man I beat Ys 8 and No More Heroes 2 today, good ****.

As for the years without characters:

1982: abstain, nothing good
1995: Bass from Mega Man 7
2003: Lyn from FE7
2008: Shanoa from Order of Ecclesia
2014: Estelle from Trails in the Sky, if it doesn't count because Japan got it a decade earlier, Shovel Knight
2018: Miriam from Bloodstained
Did you get the true ending for Ys 8? The extra boss fight is really cool and worth it. And the conclusion itself, of course.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

1. Sgt. Cortez - TimeSplitters being revived during Super Smash Bros Ultimate's life cycle is making me believe that Cortez might actually have a legitimate shot.
2. Sora - To me, Challenger Pack 11 feels like something that was added later than the others and I think Sora would be a character that would be late to the party because Disney would have a change of heart (No pun intended).
3. Axel Stone - To be honest, I'm not too confident in Axel Stone but I just want him because I didn't want to pick anyone else. Streets of Rage 4 made him look so much more cooler. The Mr X nightmare DLC even gave him more moves to use so I want him even more now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom