• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Okay everyone I have a question for you all.

What are 3 characters that you’re extremely confident in being the final spot. Your soo confident about them that you’ve never been more confident in your entire life.

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

A sega rep (if I have to be specific which I guess i do id probably say a phantasy star rep.
I only have confidence in who's NOT going to be the final spot.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

What are 3 characters that you’re extremely confident in being the final spot. Your soo confident about them that you’ve never been more confident in your entire life.

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

A sega rep (if I have to be specific which I guess i do id probably say a phantasy star rep.
Waluigi
Porky Minch
Phoenix Wright

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If we were to get costumes, I'd assume they'd be for more than one character, even if it was just a handful. If they were to do some, here are my predictions:
  • Painter Outfit (Mario)
  • Hylian Armour Set (Link)
  • Metroid Dread's basic suit (Samus)
  • Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi)
  • Hip-Hop or Fashionable Style Pikachu (Pikachu)
  • Gooigi (Luigi)
  • Dawn's Hat (Jigglypuff)
    • Not as confident in this one since it already has a similar hat.
  • Dry Bowser (Bowser)
  • A Team Magma onesie (Pichu)
    • Could also just be the hood but...come on.
  • Shadow Mewtwo (Mewtwo)
  • Ganondorf (Twilight Princess) (Ganondorf)
  • Great Lord outfit (Chrom)
  • Zero Suit (Metroid) (Zero Suit Samus)
  • Golf outfit (Wario)
  • Masked Dedede's Revenge (King Dedede)
  • Bandit Style Lucario (Lucario)
  • Outset outfit (Toon Link)
  • Wolf (Super Smash Bros. Brawl) (Wolf)
  • Grandmaster outfit (Robin)
  • Shulk (Future Connected)
  • Koopa Kid (Bowser Jr.)
  • Crossdressing Cloud (Cloud)
  • Boxing outfit (King K. Rool)
  • That thingy in its trailer (Incineroar)
  • Skeleton (Steve)

Last edited:

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman

I've been narrowing it down to weeks and I still can't be that confident. There's a bunch of patterns but Nintendo can just do whatever they like.
I am sorta confident we're ending on a first party. I've said that enough times for it to mean nothing though.

1. Isaac
2. Zelda rep (push me to pick one I'll say Impa)
3. Paper Mario

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

Dude I stopped being extremely confident in anything in SSBU DLC last year.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If we were to get costumes, I'd assume they'd be for more than one character, even if it was just a handful. If they were to do some, here are my predictions:
I don't think they are going to do costumes for other characters at this point when they have only done Mii Costumes. Cause if they were going to do character costumes, they would've done them at the start of the first pass. I can't imagine them doing characters costumes at the end of the pass and possibly the end of DLC.

That aside, costumes I do want:
:ultmario:: Mario's Sunshine outfit.
:ultlink:: Rito Armor
:ulttoonlink:: Pajamas
:ultsamus:: Proper Fusion Suit
:ultzss:: Justin Bailey outfit based on Samus Returns' version.
:ultkingdedede:: Masked Dedede
:ultness:: Pajamas or Robot Ness.
:ultike:: Priam
:ultchrom:: Exalt outfit
:ultlucina:: Masked Marth
:ultshulk:: Eryth armor
:ultmegaman:: Helmetless
:ultpacman:: His Pac-Land hat
:ultsimon:: His Ayami Kojima design
:ultrichter:: His Dracula X Chronicles design

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I can see you haven't played Earthbound/Mother 3. Mother definitely deserves at least one more
All cards on the table. EarthBound's gameplay didn't click with me at all and I couldn't finish it, but I've loved what I've played of Mother 3 so far, with its far superior gameplay (and really neat rhythm mechanics) and very compelling story. Sadly I hit a bit of a wall with the musical instrument attic boss since it's like, the only time the game requires grinding to progress, but I'm aware of the general story beats that happen afterwards. In general Mother 3 is a game that resonated a lot with me simply for how progressive it was for a 2006 GBA game. A story about how people respond to grief in different ways, a cautionary tale about environmental destruction, a warning of the dangers of capitalism, and the looming threat of fascism. A cast whose main protagonists include a sheltered young boy dealing with unimaginable personal tragedy, his dog, a hotheaded tomboy princess, a disabled man abused by his father, and a monkey subjected to horrific animal cruelty. It's fun, cute, and quirky, just as much as it's heartbreakingly tragic.

But with all of that being said, I can also say that the EarthBound series is incredibly lucky to have gotten as much as it has, especially in relation to other Nintendo franchises, both with playable fighters and without.

This is a three game franchise that has never sold particularly well, one that hasn't had a game in over fifteen years, and one in which none of the games initially released worldwide. EarthBound Beginnings took 25 years to leave Japan. EarthBound didn't get a European release until the Wii Virtual Console, over ten years after its initial release. Mother 3 still hasn't left Japan, despite over a decade and a half of international demand.

And yet, despite all of this, it has two of its three main characters (and the two from games that are actually well regarded...sorry, EarthBound Beginnings) in Smash already. This puts it above modern juggernauts like Splatoon, continuing series like Pikmin, and classics like Punch-Out!! already. It has four stages, which is as many as Fire Emblem and Metroid, two franchises with over a dozen games each, and Donkey Kong, to put things into perspective. It has a healthy selection of spirits, and the music selection also isn't bad considering the legal issues with a lot of the soundtrack.

Considering a character, a stage, music, and spirits are literally all the contents of a Challenger Pack, and it would be receiving all of this in addition to what it already has, I can't help but feel that given the context, the series would be punching above its weight. Again, it's a three game franchise that has literally never had a fully international initial release.

The only thing I can really say I feel is missing is that I wish Duster also appeared in Lucas's Final Smash.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

Not sure but my safe picks would be

1. Sega rep, leaning towards Sonic

2. Capcom rep, leaning towards RE

About a third, it can be anyone's game, from a massive fan favorite request like Sora or Doomguy, to someone a bit more niche like Rayman (who could also fit 2nd chance theory but again, since this is the last one it may not actually matter at all)

3. So screw it, I pick Sora

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'll preface this by saying Porky is one of my most wanted and is my favourite Nintendo villain of all time. I usually don't like treading deserving discussion but if Porky did get in, I'd take it as a gracious gift more than a missing inclusion or a necessary character. I do hope he gets in because it will make me happy but as it is, EarthBound has a lot and two characters definitely is already giving the series a lot of credit for basically being a completed trilogy of games that are like 20 years old now?

CureParfait

Smash Ace

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

I think

Waluigi
Reimu
Pokemon

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, I'm just curious where people stand on the following topics. (Please, don't respond with the notion that there will not be more characters- that isn't relevant to the conversation).

1- At what point would you stop buying fighters passes (preorders), if we were to continually get more?
2- At what point would you stop joining in on speculation for fighters, if we were to continually get more?

For me- I don't think there would be a limit. If there were 8 more passes, I believe I would still preorder them all- even if three full passes in a row were full of characters from series of which I never heard.
However, I think I would stop speculating once the characters stopped becoming recognizable to me.

Paraster

Smash Lord

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

"Extremely confident" is a huge overstatement in my case, but I think an Undertale rep or Reimu Hakurei is most likely. Maybe add a Valve rep as my #3 like Arctiq.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

Doomslayer
Master Chief
Phoenix Wright

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So, I'm just curious where people stand on the following topics. (Please, don't respond with the notion that there will not be more characters- that isn't relevant to the conversation).

1- At what point would you stop buying fighters passes (preorders), if we were to continually get more?
2- At what point would you stop joining in on speculation for fighters, if we were to continually get more?

For me- I don't think there would be a limit. If there were 8 more passes, I believe I would still preorder them all- even if three full passes in a row were full of characters from series of which I never heard.
However, I think I would stop speculating once the characters stopped becoming recognizable to me.
1. Honestly, I don’t think theres a hard limit for me either. I’d just keep buying as long as Nintendo would hypothetically make them.

2.I’d probably take some breaks, but I don’t think I’d drop out of speculation completely.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

1. Octoling (or Off the Hook)
2. League of Legends character
3. Honestly a wildcard but leaning the most to either Phoenix Wright or Arle Nadja. Maybe Sol Badguy too

Pretty much what the poster above me said. Can’t tag cuz idk how to type that character on mobile

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman

For me it’s probably

Ryu hayabusa

Professor Layton

I'm confident that it won't be a majority of the characters we've been hyping up for the past two years.

I think Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, Master Chief, or Rayman would be Mii costumes if anything.

I don't think we're going to see Sora, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, or Crash Bandicoot at all.

I don't think it's going to be an Assist Trophy promotion, and it's definitely not going to be someone from Breath of the Wild 2 (or an E.M.M.I., for that matter).

I think the characters with the highest chances right now are characters like Phoenix Wright, Ayumi Tachibana, Arle, a Splatoon 3 rep, and (as much as I hate to say it) a rep from SMT5, Pokemon, or Dragalia Lost. I'd love to be proven wrong, but those are such classic "out-of-touch Nintendo" picks that my brain can't help but be prepared for the worst.

• Painter Outfit (Mario)
  • Hylian Armour Set (Link)
  • Metroid Dread's basic suit (Samus)
  • Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi)
  • Hip-Hop or Fashionable Style Pikachu (Pikachu)
  • Gooigi (Luigi)
  • Dawn's Hat (Jigglypuff)
    • Not as confident in this one since it already has a similar hat.
  • Dry Bowser (Bowser)
  • A Team Magma onesie (Pichu)
    • Could also just be the hood but...come on.
  • Shadow Mewtwo (Mewtwo)
  • Ganondorf (Twilight Princess) (Ganondorf)
  • Great Lord outfit (Chrom)
  • Zero Suit (Metroid) (Zero Suit Samus)
  • Golf outfit (Wario)
  • Masked Dedede's Revenge (King Dedede)
  • Bandit Style Lucario (Lucario)
  • Outset outfit (Toon Link)
  • Wolf (Super Smash Bros. Brawl) (Wolf)
  • Grandmaster outfit (Robin)
  • Shulk (Future Connected)
  • Koopa Kid (Bowser Jr.)
  • Crossdressing Cloud (Cloud)
  • Boxing outfit (King K. Rool)
  • That thingy in its trailer (Incineroar)
  • Skeleton (Steve)
Man, this just reminds me of how Sakurai/Sora Ltd. went above and beyond for Ridley's alts. Obviously, a lot of characters have great references in their alts (:ultmario::ultinkling::ultlink::ultlucas::ultmegaman::ultmetaknight::ultpokemontrainer::ultrob::ultsamus::ultsimon::ultbylethf::ultbanjokazooie: etc), but while a lot of those seem either too obvious, too far of a stretch, or are missing some no-brainers, all of Ridley's feel so beautifully deliberate. Every single version you could possibly want of this guy is here. Like, his original NES colors? The golden statue from Super? Using his Meta-Ridley skin to make a Mecha Ridley alt? They're all just so damn good!

Ridley_Palette_(SSBU).png

I'd love for some of my other favorite characters on the roster to have an entire row of alts this faithful. Simon comes so close, but it kills me that he's missing a grey-and-gold skin to reference his in-game Castlevania 4 sprites (you always absolutely will not be able to convince me that any of his skins are supposed to be a reference to Legacy of Darkness...lookin' at you, SSBWiki...)

imageedit_1_9867737092.png

As for alts I would've liked to see, it will forever be bizarre to me that no Smash game in the history of Smash has ever given Mario an alt based on the original Super Mario Bros, which is arguably his second most iconic look.

Not having any pink-haired option for Toon Link alt or a Justin Bailey one for ZSS is also a huge bummer. If there's ever been an opportunity to include such references anywhere, it's a game like Smash!

Mario NES1.png
Toon Link ALttP1(1).png
Zero Suit Samus JB.png

(Also, hey, if anyone is good at PS wouldn't mind making a Super Castlevania 4 edit of Simon for me, I'd be 100% indebted to you for your services. My tablet's all busted...)

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

1. I'd only stop buying passes if one of my least wanteds joined in (stuff like Sans Undertale, Cinderace or Among Us rep), but I mostly like to have my roster full.
2. I'd stop speculation altogether if I got all of my MWs, which honestly could've happened in this game but unfortunately didn't.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My stance on Earthbound representation is that it doesn't need more fighters. But that's because no franchise needs more fighters. I find that to be a meaningless term. I prefer to look at things in terms of characters. Does a character have merit to be in? Do they have potential for a cool moveset? Do people like them? If the answer is yes then sure.

That kind of appreciation, I think, shouldn't be done in comparison but rather in a vacuum, because it falls into fallacy. I've seen a lot of comments in the vein of "why should Earthbound get its third fighter over a first character for X, Y, Z?" and I think that falls into the trap of assuming there is a strict hierarchy for inclusions, which there clearly isn't. Kid Icarus having three fighters despite having only two games released in Japan should be more than sufficient proof. When you get into it franchises get, and fail to get, characters for several reasons, many of them inconsistently prioritized and several hard to quantify objectively. Earthbound is no different. To qualify its inclusions as luck is both accurate and quite a simplification, considering the amount of characters that get in through an unlikely combination of circumstances is quite high.

Whether you like Porky as a character, and whether you think he'd make an interesting fighter, is subjective. But he's as worthy a fighter as any as things are right now, even if not likely to be one.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My stance on Earthbound representation is that it doesn't need more fighters. But that's because no franchise needs more fighters. I find that to be a meaningless term. I prefer to look at things in terms of characters. Does a character have merit to be in? Do they have potential for a cool moveset? Do people like them? If the answer is yes then sure.

That kind of appreciation, I think, shouldn't be done in comparison but rather in a vacuum, because it falls into fallacy. I've seen a lot of comments in the vein of "why should Earthbound get its third fighter over a first character for X, Y, Z?" and I think that falls into the trap of assuming there is a strict hierarchy for inclusions, which there clearly isn't. Kid Icarus having three fighters despite having only two games released in Japan should be more than sufficient proof. When you get into it franchises get, and fail to get, characters for several reasons, many of them inconsistently prioritized and several hard to quantify objectively. Earthbound is no different. To qualify its inclusions as luck is both accurate and quite a simplification, considering the amount of characters that get in through an unlikely combination of circumstances is quite high.
Well, for most series, all of this seems to be true. There are some exceptions we've seen- need for a NES rep, need for a new Pokemon, need for a new FE, characters like the Mii's, Wii Fit Trainer, and Duck Hunt being too prolific to ignore- but mostly, that of which you say is accurate for how the game has chosen characters. Granted, this is also with the caveat that there are many characters who would clearly 'deserve/need' to get in, were they not to get in. At least 2/3 of the roster through Brawl would likely fit into this category- with others like Megaman, Sonic, Pacman, Banjo and Kazooie, Isabelle, etc, all fitting this 'deserve/need' category, and being extremely missing additions were they not to be in.

However, and this is a big however, I know I personally would prefer if this, what you said in the quotation above, were not how it was done. I'm sure others agree with me. While it may not be the reality, when I'm discussing what I want, it certainly does not abide by every standard of what has happened. At least fifteen of the characters that are in the game would not have made it, if I had been the creator.

Additionally, I think it's been overtly proven that majority of characters could be interesting, while staying true to the character's core. Majority of the characters I see thrown around, fall into the availability to be easily interesting and unique. It's such a given for most characters, that it doesn't really need to be said. This does not mean they would turn out incredibly unique, but the potential is there.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

1. I wouldn't. I like having the complete game and being able to practice every matchup. If characters got in who I didn't know, I may still be interested in playing them if the moveset appeals to me.
2. I likely wouldn't stop, though I sometimes do take breaks. There have been times where I haven't checked in here for a month or two, and that would probably continue.

FreeFox

Smash Lord

1- I would keep buying them all. Between my friends, I am usually the one whose house where everyone goes to when we gather together so I have all of them so that everyone can play their favorites.
2-I only leave when I want to try a new character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

1- Never. I want it all.
2- Who knows. Possibly never?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

2003 "F-ZERO GX" released today !! "F-ZERO" produced by Sega and Nagoshi's team. There is an arcade version called "AX", and I was able to work with the GameCube "GX". The Smash Bros. Port Town Stage is based on the "GX / AX" version. #Smash Bros SP

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

2003 "F-ZERO GX" released today !! "F-ZERO" produced by Sega and Nagoshi's team. There is an arcade version called "AX", and I was able to work with the GameCube "GX". The Smash Bros. Port Town Stage is based on the "GX / AX" version. #Smash Bros SP
I guess they're aware of its existance after all...

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about a character that is rarely brought up, but everyone knows about: Amaterasu from Okami. She'd be a very cool character from a graphical standpoint like Mr.Game and Watch.

I think she could take down both Galeem and Dharkon since she is the Sun Goddess.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

1. If there is no character I would be interested in.
2. I don't think I would stop speculating because I really like speculating.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
This isn't exactly DLC related but it sort of relates to newcomers in general.

What's the general consensus here about where Smash goes after Ultimate?
I see so many people saying "so and so is definitely gonna get in next time", but that sort of is running under the assumption that Smash 6 is going to be another "everyone is here" scenario. Like yeah, the latest wave of Mii Costumes was full of likely newcomers, but only if the roster keeps expanding.

I'm kind of under the impression that the next game will have a severely reduced roster. A soft reboot type of thing. Lots of new mechanics.

I hope I'm wrong because I'd love for them to just build on Ultimate's foundation forever. Just make the character/stage roster bigger and bigger. That's the direction I'd take the series at least.

osby

Smash Obsessed
This isn't exactly DLC related but it sort of relates to newcomers in general.

What's the general consensus here about where Smash goes after Ultimate?
I see so many people saying "so and so is definitely gonna get in next time", but that sort of is running under the assumption that Smash 6 is going to be another "everyone is here" scenario. Like yeah, the latest wave of Mii Costumes was full of likely newcomers, but only if the roster keeps expanding.

I'm kind of under the impression that the next game will have a severely reduced roster. A soft reboot type of thing. Lots of new mechanics.

I hope I'm wrong because I'd love for them to just build on Ultimate's foundation forever. Just make the character/stage roster bigger and bigger. That's the direction I'd take the series at least.
I don't think soft reboot theories hold much water. Smash's biggest selling points are its simple gameplay and its roster. Nintendo sometimes makes weird choices but I have a hard time seeing them axing both just so that the next title will be different.

It's more likely that the next game will be like Brawl after Melee: there will be some cuts but also improvements in other areas to make up for it. I think most characters we speculate regularly have a chance to get in either way.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
The last CP is from Dark Souls, Bandai-Namco will double dip this time and would destroy all theories. So, nobody would see it coming. In consequence, we will have a parallelism with FP1:

Joker - Chosen Undead (Both very popular 2016 M-rated japanese games, Persona 5* - Dark Souls 3)
Hero - Sephiroth (biggest Square-Enix IPs)
Banjo - Steve (western IPs, both owned by Microsoft)
Terry - Kazuya (fighting games)
Byleth - Min Min and Pyra/Mythra (Nintendo characters from Switch games).

*P5 was released at august 2016 in Japan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom