• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Actually that design was used quite a bit. The emphasis was placed on The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, but the design has also appeared in The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, and The Legend of Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes.
I forgot about Minish Cap! That definitely makes it a recurring design by that point

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
They didn't go back and get Rosalina & Luma though. They were added because they were the relevant characters at the time. Same thing with Sheik and Zero Suit Samus.
Galaxy came out about 7 years prior to Smash 4, her latest appearance being a secret unlockable character at the end of 3D World. Before then, just the 120 stars ending of Galaxy 2 and the end of its true final level (joining Starship Mario only after the ending or something; though she also sent letters to the baby Luma without revealing it’s her I guess, and there’s the Cosmic Spirit but it only appears if you die too much), and playable in spinoffs. If that’s enough for relevancy at the time, Hyrule Warriors should count for Ultimate, or at least a BotW character besides the latest incarnation of Link could’ve been added.

There’s also the 3DS and Wii U remakes/HD ports bringing some characters back in the spotlight for more people to see, but admittedly those may not count for whatever weird reason.

While the main Zelda cast is pretty much just the Triforce-wielders, a lot of times Impa, and sometimes Tingle, they at least also seem to see importance and popularity in other characters of the series, like Skull Kid and Midna, so...and of course, there’s still Impa and Tingle themselves :/

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Unrelated but this is epic so it gets a free pass

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yes?

I just popped in so sorry I wasn't caught up?

I agree with your post except for this point.

The thing about Skull Kid is that he only started getting significant demand after loz18 "leaked" him as a playable fighter after K. Rool was revealed, and said demand tanked when he got confirmed as an assist trophy and has never recovered.

Skull Kid isn't comparable to K. Rool in the slightest.
No, I absolutely remember Skull Kid having a decent bit of support in Smash 4 and pre-B.Elmont's direct, loz's stunt made it grow, sure, but it didn't start the demand

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yes?

I just popped in so sorry I wasn't caught up?

I agree with your post except for this point.

The thing about Skull Kid is that he only started getting significant demand after loz18 "leaked" him as a playable fighter after K. Rool was revealed, and said demand tanked when he got confirmed as an assist trophy and has never recovered.

Skull Kid isn't comparable to K. Rool in the slightest.
Wow! Even better! (But I used the K. Rool example because he was a victim of the “he’s not in now, obviously irrelevant” spiel back in the day.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ultimate: This is the big one, since they could’ve added Skull Kid and didn’t despite demand. I still don’t believe in any hard rules and terms like “off the table”, but in terms of diminishing liklehood, this factor seems to apply. Still, Skull Kid not making it in Ultimate is more like K. Rool not making it in Smash 4 than proof of a hard rule, especially since the predecessors have been pelting the rule with asterisks and apparent exceptions, like the combo of third party Echoes into Sepiroth.
It's likely that Skull Kid's demand was nowhere close to Ridley's, Belmonts, King K. Rool's, and Banjo's demand as with Ashley, Geno, Isaac, Shadow, and Waluigi.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Unrelated but this is epic so it gets a free pass
Damn you SharkLord this is your fault

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Galaxy came out about 7 years prior to Smash 4, her latest appearance being a secret unlockable character at the end of 3D World. Before then, just the 120 stars ending of Galaxy 2 and the end of its true final level (though sent letters to the baby Luma without revealing it’s her I guess, and there’s the Cosmic Spirit but it only appears if you die too much), and playable in spinoffs. If that’s enough for relevancy at the time, Hyrule Warriors should count for Ultimate, or at least a BotW character besides the latest incarnation of Link could’ve been added.
Any game released on the Switch released too late to get a character on the base roster. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey pretty much just had big series privileges so they could get a stage instead. Link was likely only able to be changed because The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was meant to be a Wii U game (and still is) and thus had a really long development, and was likely only changed because of Young Link's return.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Any game released on the Switch released too late to get a character on the base roster. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey pretty much just had big series privileges so they could get a stage instead. Link was likely only able to be changed because The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was meant to be a Wii U game (and still is) and thus had a really long development, and was likely only changed because of Young Link's return.
I guess so.

But then what about Impa, Tingle, etc.?

Tbh they could even include a major character of a reoccurring race :/

Hyrule Warriors also released before Ultimate’s development began, the 3DS version that added more characters releasing in early 2016 at least, so you’d think it could count...

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Honestly not feeling a Nintendo character happening at least from an existing universe. They either already got one (so just Byleth lol), have been getting side content you'd think would come with a DLC fighter or at least I don't think would make a big enough splash as a DLC fighter. Then again I would never considered an ARMS character so I can't exactly really say that as fact hahaha.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I guess so.

But then what about Impa, Tingle, etc.?

Tbh they could even include a major character of a reoccurring race :/

Hyrule Warriors also released before Ultimate’s development began, the 3DS version that added more characters releasing in early 2016 at least, so you’d think it could count...
Honestly I can't think of any character who got added due to their appearance in a spin-off, with the only exceptions being the extended Super Mario cast because Super Mario spin-offs get really confusing, and even then they're all treated that their spin-off is their main series so they almost don't even count.

Impa is probably just really unlucky, either existing in a not fit for fighting state, or missing the boat. Tingle is likely a case of just being out-prioritized rather than missing the boat.

Presently, I think the most likely The Legend of Zelda character for inclusion in later installments will be one introduced in the game after The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel.

Honestly not feeling a Nintendo character happening at least from an existing universe. They either already got one (so just Byleth lol), have been getting side content you'd think would come with a DLC fighter or at least I don't think would make a big enough splash as a DLC fighter. Then again I would never considered an ARMS character so I can't exactly really say that as fact hahaha.
I think we'll have to wait and see what this year's lineup is to make that call. The games to look out for will be the ones getting a bigger push than the others like Fire Emblem: Fates and Fire Emblem: Three Houses before them.

EDIT: And also have a release period for this year.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I feel as though Metal Gear's design choice is too realistic for Raiden to be considered anime. Though the plot of Revengeance certainly has its anime moments.
Oh please, even if Raiden was based entirely on MGS4, people would still decry him as a filthy generic anime swordsman who wasted a slot of more DESERVING character like insert most wanted

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh please, even if Raiden was based entirely on MGS4, people would still decry him as a filthy generic anime swordsman who wasted a slot of more DESERVING character like Amaterasu.
Ah yes. Clearly the more deserving character. Especially because she ain't a filthy anime swordsman.
1609953129621.png

N-no! That doesn't count because...

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
This seems like the question made by someone who won't let others enjoy things.
I never really liked the automatic aversion a lot of people here hold towards any and all commonly-discussed characters. It just feels contrarian and often carries this weird "this character is better because they're not talked about as much!" sense of superiority to it, often fueled by said person's most wanted character being "overlooked"

And, like, I say this as someone who still wants Takamaru in 20-****ing-21, so I'm not exactly the patron saint of big popular characters either

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Hoo boy, guess I have a lot of hot takes pertaining to the Mario series, so strap in:

• Calling Rosalina a one-off character really goes against the intent of the character. It seems obvious to me with how quickly she got put in spinoffs that Rosa was always intended to be pushed hard by Nintendo. I don't think that's changed; I'll get into why later.
  • Mario isn't a series with "mainline" and "spinoff" games, at least not in the way people are acting. It's more like 6 different series.
  • Even if you ignore the above, the only "mainline" Mario games the have come out since Rosa's inception that don't have her are a few NSMB games (which were never going to get new characters, let's be real here), and Mario Odyssey.

Tangentially related to the last point: I feel like people have been very reactionary about characters not showing up in Odyssey. Everyone who wasn't in Odyssey is suddenly a character Nintendo forgot and will never be relevant again. Fact of the matter is, sometimes you just don't include every single character in your new games, and BJ and Rosa both arguably had their usual role usurped for that game.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I never really liked the automatic aversion a lot of people here hold towards any and all commonly-discussed characters. It just feels contrarian and often carries this weird "this character is better because they're not talked about as much!" sense of superiority to it, often fueled by said person's most wanted character being "overlooked"

And, like, I say this as someone who still wants Takamaru in 20-****ing-21, so I'm not exactly the patron saint of big popular characters either
I don't mind other people wanting who they want, it's just I don't want those that much, regardless even if they get in I'll still be happy for those who got them. Those characters are popular for a reason.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Rosalina one-off?

Lol ok.

Ignoring Galaxy 2 (Granted she didn't play as much of a role), the Mario spin-offs, Super Mario 3D World. She was even meant to make an appearance in Odsessey.

Yep, definitely a one-off character.

There's a reason she was included in Smash.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Everyone who wasn't in Odyssey is suddenly a character Nintendo forgot and will never be relevant again.
Certain Mario characters not showing up in Odyssey isn't the only example of this happening.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
And Mario Kart Wii was a dirty, scum-of-the-earth spin-off that could never amount to anything.
A dirty, scum-of-the-earth spin-off that turned out to be the 12th best selling video game of all time? (And with another Mario Kart game right above it?)

I feel like Mario Kart is treated differently from most spin offs considering it has its own stage and section in My Music. (Of course, the fact that it routinely outsells Smash probably is a factor).

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If a Spirit Event happened before negotiations for FP2, then I don't think those ones would be entirely out.
The biggest issue with that theory is. The Negotiations didn't just happen in one month it probably took quite a few

Even then the Only spirit events we got before November were games that had no real chance anyways OR Mario
For reference these were the new spirit events before November 2019
-Mario Party
-Peachette
-Link's Awakening
-Daemon X Machina
-Tetris 99

November and Afterword's was when we started to see blood,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom