• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Anyway, I’m now 100% confident that bonus slot on the eshop IF IT EVEN IS SOMETHING AT ALL will be a three pack of bonus stages that comes with music for each

likely one third party stage maximum (indies count I think)

What would you like to see if this is the case?
Tetris. That’s the best choice. The fact that Tetris still has not gotten a stage baffles to a little tbh.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So I was gone for a week and got my new PC running but I've been distracted by all the new games I can play as well as Miitopia being an absolute blast to enjoy with friends.

I'm like...50+ pages behind, so out of curiosity for a quick update, what are you all talking about at the moment? What do people think of Kazuya here? As someone who loves fighting games, I think his inclusion is fantastic, but I also know I'm not the average Nintendo fan that plays a limited number of games or genres so he could be poorly received.

Does everyone here think Chief is a lock? Do you all think all the leakers got baited?

What's the talk of the proverbial town right now?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I saw this topic on GameFAQs, so I though "Hmm wonder how they'll answer this"

While I personally bought Plant + Both Passes in full capacity...

What DLC fighters did you buy and not buy? Why (If you care enough to answer lmao)?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

What DLC fighters did you buy and not buy? Why (If you care enough to answer lmao)?
Got Plant free cuz I got Ultimate the month it launched; and bought both passes in full capacity

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

What Rie said.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So I was gone for a week and got my new PC running but I've been distracted by all the new games I can play as well as Miitopia being an absolute blast to enjoy with friends.

I'm like...50+ pages behind, so out of curiosity for a quick update, what are you all talking about at the moment? What do people think of Kazuya here? As someone who loves fighting games, I think his inclusion is fantastic, but I also know I'm not the average Nintendo fan that plays a limited number of games or genres so he could be poorly received.

Does everyone here think Chief is a lock? Do you all think all the leakers got baited?

From what I’ve seen:

-Kazuya is fun but technical, Tekken is a great inclusion as a series.
-Chief and Crash are waning in their titan-status, but are still apparent in speculation. Leaks that said he’d be next are most likely fake or piggybacking off of one another.
-The magic code word still seems to be “second chances” and people are not so much speculation on which character, but more like which company will get a representative. Nahobino (SMTV character) and a second Sonic character rep Sega, whereas people are looking at Phoenix Wright for being the last man standing when it comes to Capcom. First party speculation hinges on the question whether characters not on the Switch are likely, with Assist Trophies also getting an honorable mention. Ray-Man is gaining ground.

I think that’s the rough rundown from what I remember.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
You are all so ridiculous. It is sad you all have such an obsession over believing this will be the last character. I am done here since you all generally are quite toxic and rude. Most here tend to espouse theories which have little if any basis in reality. Also most importantly you have terrible taste for which characters get in. Your reasoning tends to be you enjoy the series a character came from. What should most highly be considered is what fun new game-play does the new character offer the Smash roster.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
You are all so ridiculous. It is sad you all have such an obsession over believing this will be the last character. I am done here since you all generally are quite toxic and rude. Most here tend to espouse theories which have little if any basis in reality. Also most importantly you have terrible taste for which characters get in. Your reasoning tends to be you enjoy the series a character came from. What should most highly be considered is what fun new game-play does the new character offer the Smash roster.
<Talks about us being toxic

<Insults our taste in characters and judges a whole group of people because they don’t like a few of them

The irony here is palpable.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You are all so ridiculous. It is sad you all have such an obsession over believing this will be the last character.
I mean, with Sakurai repeatedly saying it over and over in the past few months, it has to be the last character.

Most here tend to espouse theories which have little if any basis in reality.
1626121494274.png

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Ok I won't go far into this.
I understand you're new here, but here's something I think you should know regarding all this stuff.

We each have our own taste in characters, and we need to respect our correspondent tastes.
We do our best to consider theories that have a tangible credibility and evidence to them.
We can enjoy a character purely for their home series.
Not all of us are toxic and rude. If you believe we are, then I hope mutual understandings can be reached. I think a fresh restart would be a good idea, too.
And who do you mean by "believe this will be the last character?"
In the end, we can also have fun here. Example: You saw me picking fun at figure theory before, with the Contra and Pyramid Head figurines.

I, in no way, am trying to be passive aggressive towards you, MasterCheef. But please reconsider what you said. Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Anyway, I’m now 100% confident that bonus slot on the eshop IF IT EVEN IS SOMETHING AT ALL will be a three pack of bonus stages that comes with music for each

Assuming no returning stages come back, A true Bowser's Castle, A Donkey Kong stage that fits Ice Cave Chant and a new Pac-Maze with a different pellet mechanic.

Maybe disable it when Stage Morph's on, in that case?
But then that just defeats the purpose of Stage Morph since the developers put the hard work in making sure every stage works with it.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
This paragraph has soo much attitude to the point where it reminds me off the sonic 06 fandhub scene of mephiles calling omega a talking trash can and proceeding to gloat about how he’s better than omega before omega then gets upset and guns him down.

I can’t be the only one who pictures this when reading this comment.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

So you're saying there's a chance for a Just Dance stage? :slime:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

I still think people are sleeping on Euden, so that hasn't changed.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

Got Plant free and bought the first Fighter Pass a little bit before E3 2018, bought the second one as soon as it was available. Even if I didn't just get the passes because I like having the complete roster, I probably would've gotten all of the characters anyways, they're all fun

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Our rudeness seemingly rubbing off on you aside, I do agree that our speculation should be more based on the “something only this character can do”-factor, juxtaposing it against the fact we root for the characters we personally like makes it seem like speculation has to be serious business all the time or about getting it right, which no doubt would only add to the toxicity. Sometimes gushing about what we love allows for a much more creative mindset than seeking out an objective truth, which is pretty hard considering the objective guidelines that Sakurai use seem to mostly revolve around what sparks his creativity.

An example I tend to use when it comes to explaining how hard it can be to predict Sakurai’s creativity and what substitutes as uniqueness in his mind is King K. Rool. King K. Rool is one of the most speculated about characters in Smash history and his moveset potential has been discussed at least a dozen times (and that’s an understatement). The K. Rool fanbase seemed to have settled on a highly trapping playstyle, using the Blunderbuss to fire toxic gasses that induce status effects and cannonballs that were to stick to the floor like the Urchin item.
Sakurai saw another angle: He looked at K. Rool and both saw the trapper, incorporating the Cannonball and Krown Toss, along with the more classic Super Armor brawler (including using his belly armor)

The tricky thing is that, neither the mechanic of the Crown not automatically returning to his head and the super armor belly armor behaving like an extra shield (with shield break) were included in the games; they‘re inventions by Sakurai. Combine that with different, older examples of Sakurai leaning on creative liberties (Fox, Falcon etc.) which was a very common argument against the very common complaint that some hopefuls just didn’t have the moveset potential, and the focus on moveset potential became an afterthought to factors that do not depend on reading Sakurai’s mind, such as series’ sales and impact on the gaming industry or simply character popularity. Still, I would like for the moveset potential to take a forefront in speculation again, if only because any creativity in the fanbase when it comes to designing movesets for their favorite character is always a great display of passion.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I bought it all. I’m gonna have people play smash on my switch, I would need all the characters to do that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Presumably because it wouldn't work well with the Stage Morph mechanic.
Is it sad that I kind of forgot Stage Morph was a thing..?

I probably would have used it more if it was more easily toggle-able in the stage select screen over having to go out of your way to make a specific rule set and wait through loading screens for it, same with the Hazard one...

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Um, yeah? Why wouldn't we want characters because we like those characters and series? I don't think anyone here has terrible taste. I think everyone has said reasonable things about why they like a character. And everyone is thinking about fun new gameplay, too. We constantly talk about how our favorites might play, what gimmicks they could possibly have. Sure, we don't choose based on who could have the wildest whoopy-doo mechanics, but we all envision that the characters we want will be unique and fun. Which, they will. I don't think I've seen a character brought up here that didn't sound at least a little fun and interesting.

And as we've been trying to explain to you, Sakurai has stated multiple times, as recently as possible, that the next character is the last one. He has changed his mind on things in the past, you are correct about that. But he's usually taken a long time to do so, so I don't expect him to change course on this. If there was more of a chance there'd be more, he'd go back to his "currently no plans for more" thing he said during FP1. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he changes his mind or maybe comes back after some months and makes another character, but it's a very, very slim chance. It's best to keep our expectations in check, otherwise we're setting ourselves up for huge disappointment. Sakurai says CP11 is the last one, so we should expect that.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Monster Hunter, Dragalia Lost, and Pac-Maze.

I'm still of the mind that if they couldn't get a character from MH, a stage using the assets of Rathalos' boss arena would've been a good compromise. You'd be able to use the locale to bring in beloved monsters like Zinogre, Gore Magala, and the quest-ruining pickle while also having access to all of the music that MH has to offer. Dragalia Lost is similar as if we can't get a character I'd love a stage based off of one of the boss arenas that uses some of the OST that the game has built up over the past two-three years like Force Your Way, Stealth Dance, and Hollow Dance. As for Pac-Maze, it really just needs to be here as it's a crucial part of Pac-Man's history and it's disappointing that it's not in Ultimate.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
presses ignore button

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Pac-Maze, Rainbow Road and Ancestral Steppes.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Rainbow Road, PAC-MAZE and Woolly World

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Just saying, out of all indies so far. Shantae was the one that lasted for so long.

She started with a spirit (along with Risky Boots) and an online icon at base game. Mii costume with Kazuya for DLC to end her run.

Now, IDK if any other Indie Characters are up for grabs since the character choice have been focused on the bigger ones. We will have to see once the final character's announcement is near.
Implying Shovel Knight wasn't a consideration in spite of his popularity over her just because of an assist trophy I see

That's a severe red flag that assist trophies are absolutely fine, even if you somehow don't think Spring Man could have happened even though Yabuki chose the fighter.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

Didn't buy Plant because it free for me due to having gotten the game for the prior Christmas. Bought both passes.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Quick question,

Which Tekken soundtrack you enjoyed/engaged the most?

For me, Moonlit Wilderness
Either Heat Haze Shadow or Abyss of Time

Speaking of which, I'm still very salty that they shortened HHS and gave it an awkward loop that doesn't blend well with the soundtrack.
Also the Mishima Dojo theme from Tekken 7. They..., just completely butchered it, said screw this and gave it a generic remix instead of the blood pumping version that everyone else wanted.

NinJeds

Smash Rookie

Pac-Maze just so Pac-man can have a GOOD stage in Ultimate.

Tetris because it just makes sense.

And ether one based on Mario Party, cause that has the potential to be a really fun and chaotic stage, or if Frisk doesn’t happen, then one based on Undertale would be really nice, especially if it brings in more music from that game.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
kyog.png

I mean, I have seen people on here be toxic, but you are almost certainly overreacting. People have been responding to your insistence that there has to be a FP3. At this point, it seems clear that there is not going to be one. Sakurai's own words, combined with the lack of a FP3 announcement, kind of paint a bleak picture. People have at worst been exhausted by your refusal to admit those might be bad signs. I would suggest taking a step back and relaxing, and come back when you have a more level mood.

The thing that really irks me is the amount of gatekeeping you have in your post, telling people off that they shouldn't support characters. I may not like some characters, I may not like some fanbases, but everyone has a right to support whoever they want for smash thats on the table. I personally think Rayman is unlikely, and find the insistence from some of his fans that the glaring issues he faces like his lack of Japanese popularity grating. Does that mean that they should not be able to support Rayman? No, they have just as much a right to support him as anyone. In terms of characters I actively dislike, I was never the biggest fan of Shantae, but her fans have the right to speculate on her. I do not have the right to gatekeep what people talk about.

Finally, if you want people to take what you talk about seriously, don't insult everyone on the entire site. Obviously, you may not agree with people's theories or what they think is going to happen. If that is the case, make a coherent counter argument. Don't throw a fit that will make you end up on people's ignore lists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom