• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Master Chief has been seemingly dis-confirmed by Brian Jarrard

The Waluigi outcry only seems to be a western thing and from what I've seen Nintendo of America are only a marketing and translation team. I could see Sakurai maybe listening to the outcry but Japan Nintendo are picking out the characters and I don't see them paying any mind to the Waluigi craze. Especially when most of the characters in both fighter passes aren't particularly requested by fans in the west. I mean Banjo & Kazooie got in but I doubt that was done entirely by Nintendo's free will when they're the only characters who were revealed and released with another character being Hero and Terry so I assume they didn't have much confidence in the bear & bird duo.

The other five I have no idea what to think of them so you're probably right about them.

As for who I think is most likely, I know everyone thinks Cortez is a long shot but this is probably the best chance he has ever got into being an actual Smash character. The revival of the series happening within the Fighter Pass 1 & 2 range has brought me a lot of hope. Especially when they brought back Steve Ellis and David Doak to work on the project and uh... Sakurai likes to get the original devs on board to accurately make the characters soooooooo...

Time to Split!

View attachment 321207
The Mojang community manager didn't know Steve was coming to Smash either. It's not a position that would necessarily make them privy to that kind of info.

The thing that makes me think less of Crash getting in is that they've mentioned Smash specifically in those Instagram posts. I don't think they could have mentioned it so much had it actually been Smash. It also seems likely to be that Apple+ series. Or at least something outside of games.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, playing a few hours of Kazuya, my early impressions are:
  • The comparison to Little Mac makes sense. His air game seems significantly worse than his ground one, but he hits like a truck on land.
  • Kazuya simultaneously feels heavier than the other "fighties" while also being a bit floatier in the air.
  • I actually get why Sakurai felt the need to give him super armor and a bunch of tools. Even with those, it feels incredibly easy to escape some of his combinations or outprioritize some of his moves (even those with Super Armor).
  • To make matters worse for Kazuya, he seems to combine Min Min's weakness for short hop attacks during grounded neutral with a general lack of priority in his moves, as well as lag (both startup and endlag). I think he's great when pressuring, but neutral is gonna be a pain, especially against zoners or characters with good to great air game.
  • He lacks any reliable approaching options besides dash attack (which has some lag) and his one projectile is so laggy and easy to dodge, you might as well not use it in neutral at all.
  • For the casual crowd, he seems to struggle against multiple opponents, like Steve.
That said... he has a lot of options once he gets into an advantage and can kill VERY early. I think Kazuya is gonna end up as one of those characters that you don't see too often in tournaments, but is an absolute danger in the right hands.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I actually get why Sakurai felt the need to give him super armor and a bunch of tools. Even with those, it feels incredibly easy to escape some of his combinations or outprioritize some of his moves (even those with Super Armor).
Yeah that seems to be his main weakness; If both players press a button, Kazuya's buttons are guaranteed to lose (mostly because Kazuya's attack won't come out in time).

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah that seems to be his main weakness; If both players press a button, Kazuya's buttons are guaranteed to lose (mostly because Kazuya's attack won't come out in time).
Not to mention, depending on what you want to do, you have to:
  1. Approach your target
  2. Reset the stick to neutral
  3. Input the move you want
Which is easier said than done against zoners or characters with better priority or air game. Getting good at neutral might be the hardest part of learning Kazuya.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not to mention, depending on what you want to do, you have to:
  1. Approach your target
  2. Reset the stick to neutral
  3. Input the move you want
Which is easier said than done against zoners or characters with better priority or air game. Getting good at neutral might be the hardest part of learning Kazuya.
Which...might be accurate to Tekken.

Side note: I like Kazuya's sound design quite a bit, and I don't really know why since I hate Tekken's sound design. Maybe it's a discrepancy between how realistic the artstyle is, and how realistic the sound design is, with Tekken's more realistic look making the sound design not fit as much? Whatever the reason, I also feel the same about the hit sparks.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hot take, smashes hit sound and hit indicators should be like tekkens
You mean the sound design for Kazuya's Smash Attacks or the entire game? Also by hit indicators do you just mean the hit sparks?

Assuming you mean for it to apply to the entire game, I'll have to hard disagree there since at the very least, it would remove the character specific hit effects and that's no fun. The normal hit effects are super good as well. That and I don't think Tekken's sound design would work for fast multi-hits like rapid jabs.

Honestly the only character that would benefit from a change in their attack sound effects is Toon Link because it sounds like his sword is made of paper or something.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Looks like I'll have a gap in my spirit line-up until the next character comes out. I was willing to get Ghosts 'N' Goblins Resurrection because I heard that the game had several easier difficulties, which made the game more accessible than the classic ones, but Monster Hunter Tri was too clunky for me to get into (no lock-on, lots of resource management mid-combat between stamina and sharpening, and weapons either take an absurdly long time to swing or do next-to-no damage with nothing in between), and from what I've seen of the later games, I don't think they've gotten better in that regard.
Stories is more like Pokémon than it is Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
You mean the sound design for Kazuya's Smash Attacks or the entire game? Also by hit indicators do you just mean the hit sparks?

Assuming you mean for it to apply to the entire game, I'll have to hard disagree there since at the very least, it would remove the character specific hit effects and that's no fun. The normal hit effects are super good as well. That and I don't think Tekken's sound design would work for fast multi-hits like rapid jabs.

Honestly the only character that would benefit from a change in their attack sound effects is Toon Link because it sounds like his sword is made of paper or something.
I think im the only one who wouldnt mind the tekken hit sparks and sounds to be the whole smash game

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The Waluigi outcry only seems to be a western thing and from what I've seen Nintendo of America are only a marketing and translation team. I could see Sakurai maybe listening to the outcry but Japan Nintendo are picking out the characters and I don't see them paying any mind to the Waluigi craze. Especially when most of the characters in both fighter passes aren't particularly requested by fans in the west. I mean Banjo & Kazooie got in but I doubt that was done entirely by Nintendo's free will when they're the only characters who were revealed and released with another character being Hero and Terry so I assume they didn't have much confidence in the bear & bird duo.
Grant Kirkhope actually mentionned that Nintendo was very surprised of Banjo reaction. Link. It seems that indeed for some reason they thought that Banjo wouldn't be that popular. Maybe they thought that online demand wouldn't lead to popularity in the general public (think of it a bit like F-zero or Earthbound who have strong online fanbase but never sold that well).

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Grant Kirkhope actually mentionned that Nintendo was very surprised of Banjo reaction. Link. It seems that indeed for some reason they thought that Banjo wouldn't be that popular. Maybe they thought that online demand wouldn't lead to popularity in the general public (think of it a bit like F-zero or Earthbound who have strong online fanbase but never sold that well).
Wow, that does seem to show that Ninty's kinda out of touch with gamers.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
They had to put tons of rocks inside their models to make sure they didn't moon jump like in Tekken 1 and 2.

#GamingFact
Moon Jumping is what I'd actually like a second Tekken rep to rely on for recovering, instead of giving them special moves including an up special.
So I was thinking about potential future Tekken additions, and after the obligatory Heihachi and Jin, my thoughts landed on King. Which has me thinking; If Kazuya is already a superheavyweight, how are they going to try and implement Tekken's equivalent to that?
The bigger question is how do you implement King's chain throws without turning them into AAAAAAAAAA like the ten-hit combo?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The bigger question is how do you implement King's Rolling Death Cradle without turning it into AAAAAAAAAA like the ten-hit combo?
The biggest question is how the heck that's going to look on characters that aren't humanoid. lol

Also I could be wrong, but I feel like they would just get rid of the command inputs entirely since sticking command inputs into the middle of a throw sounds unnecessary. Just have it be a normal high damage command grab. This is of course speaking with 0 Tekken experience.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Fools..
We’re not gonna get a character form the 1002s
We’re getting a character from the 1970s :yoshimelee:

Also, I think I know why… but:
Kazuya fighter spirit is just his Smash render. Guess they couldn’t find a picture where his chest is covered…?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Looks like I'll have a gap in my spirit line-up until the next character comes out. I was willing to get Ghosts 'N' Goblins Resurrection because I heard that the game had several easier difficulties, which made the game more accessible than the classic ones, but Monster Hunter Tri was too clunky for me to get into (no lock-on, lots of resource management mid-combat between stamina and sharpening, and weapons either take an absurdly long time to swing or do next-to-no damage with nothing in between), and from what I've seen of the later games, I don't think they've gotten better in that regard.
Oh boy, I sure can't wait to finally get the Arthur and Sophia spirits in a few more weeks so I can finally fill in the gaps on my spirit collection.

Nintendo: Make good friends with that gap because you're spending another 3 months with it.

static-assets-upload13178286599201528754.png

Tried to look for some internal screaming pics and didn't like what I saw but instead saw a Dragon Ball Z theory ask, what if Trunks didn't have such a big forehead?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, this is Monster Hunter Stories. It's more like a Pokemon game than an actual Monster Hunter game, if that's helpful.
Stories is more like Pokémon than it is Monster Hunter.
That's a plus. I can try the demo out, at least (I think there's a demo? Not sure how much space is left on my Switch, though) - shame that the demo doesn't work for the purposes of unlocking the spirit.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I'll laugh if after tournaments for 80s, 90s, 2000s and new 10s, our last fighter is from 2020 or 2021.
So our next fighter is from 2020, and Sega is still in the running...

Ichiban-Yakuza_03-30-19.jpg

If Nagoshi don't want to let Kiryiu in, maybe Kasuga can be in. Also Kasuga canonically think that every fight he's in is in a video game, so he would be a very fun character to work with.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
But command grabs with a dial-a-combo system to extend them are King's thing. You can't have King without them.
I'm currently looking at a move list out of curiosity and I think I see what you mean (though I still think the extra command inputs are arbitrary without multiple outcomes other than "the move does more damage" for multiple inputs).

Also...

sees Head Bomber

"Did he just..."

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So apparently Bayonetta is glitching again, but only one specific character activates it…? Sadly, the dude on twitter is not saying who activates it, for whatever reason. I would appreciate it if someone can help with finding out who activates it, or if it's even true that the glitch is back.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
So, playing a few hours of Kazuya, my early impressions are:
  • The comparison to Little Mac makes sense. His air game seems significantly worse than his ground one, but he hits like a truck on land.
  • Kazuya simultaneously feels heavier than the other "fighties" while also being a bit floatier in the air.
  • I actually get why Sakurai felt the need to give him super armor and a bunch of tools. Even with those, it feels incredibly easy to escape some of his combinations or outprioritize some of his moves (even those with Super Armor).
  • To make matters worse for Kazuya, he seems to combine Min Min's weakness for short hop attacks during grounded neutral with a general lack of priority in his moves, as well as lag (both startup and endlag). I think he's great when pressuring, but neutral is gonna be a pain, especially against zoners or characters with good to great air game.
  • He lacks any reliable approaching options besides dash attack (which has some lag) and his one projectile is so laggy and easy to dodge, you might as well not use it in neutral at all.
  • For the casual crowd, he seems to struggle against multiple opponents, like Steve.
That said... he has a lot of options once he gets into an advantage and can kill VERY early. I think Kazuya is gonna end up as one of those characters that you don't see too often in tournaments, but is an absolute danger in the right hands.
He's basically Shoto Bowser

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I don't know if it's the only song, but Heat Haze Shadow doesn't loop well for some reason. That and it's not even the full song.

You think it's intentional or not? 'cuz in either case, it make it alot less good.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It'd be cool if we get another villain as the last one...
3 villains, 3 heroes in FP2.
I agree. A lot of my favorite characters are villains so I would love that. Some other characters who I’d love that were at least villains at one point are Magus, Kerrigan, Illidan, Arthas, Xemnas, Jena Anderson, Medusa, Fulgore, Nightmare, Sub-Zero, and Lu Bu. Pretty much every character you listed would be great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom