• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Kazuya is fuuuuun. He hits like an absolute truck. I’m excited to learn, he might become one of my favorite characters.

It’s weird that Capcom fighters are my favorite but I like Terry & Kazuya way more than Ryu/Ken in Smash.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Had a massive idiot dream last night. Just imagined me watching the final character presentation and Sakurai was like "Oh you were expecting one character? You sad naive fool! Take a look at this!" and then a redo of everyone is here now showcasing hidden dlc characters like Crash Bandicoot, Master Chief, Rayman, etc that were secretly in development from another development team. Then I woke up.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sakurai must have a ****ing crush on Yoko Shimomora because she sure remixes a lot of songs for Smash
I actually don't mind that one bit, even though she was never involved with the Layton series, a lot of her remixes sound so Layton-esque that I might as well consider it the closest thing to us having any Layton content in Smash... :drsad:

If by some miracle Layton ever where to make it into Smash as a playable character, I actually hope that she gets to remix quite a few songs from the series and give them that more of an action oriented flair. She seems like the perfect candidate for the job, if that day where to ever come...

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Had a massive idiot dream last night. Just imagined me watching the final character presentation and Sakurai was like "Oh you were expecting one character? You sad naive fool! Take a look at this!" and then a redo of everyone is here now showcasing hidden dlc characters like Crash Bandicoot, Master Chief, Rayman, etc that were secretly in development from another development team. Then I woke up.
that last sentence I think is the most important one here

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Now that you mention it, I also had a dream yesterday.

The thing is, it wasn't a character reveal, but rather a Mii costume showcase. Sakurai started off by saying some Sonic costumes were coming, but no Sonic costumes were actually shown, so that was a ****ing lie.

One of the costumes I actually don't remember what it was, but aside from that, one of them was Corviknight. Don't ask me how it'd work, cause I didn't actually see what it looked like, but the person to my side was like "oh **** it's corviknight" and I did see the SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X POKEMON title card, except the Pokemon logo had a weird subtitle I don't remember.

Another Mii shown was Helix, and I popped off, cause Helix is my dude. It covered the whole head with his face and the costume even had, like, blob physics and ****. It was epic.

However, my favorite part of the dream: after the Mii that I don't remember but before Corviknight and Helix, a title card showed up saying SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X SHINOBI. I popped off hard cause of course, I thought "OH **** JOE MUSASHI MII LETS GOOOOOOOOO". However. The costume shown afterwards was not any actual Shinobi character, but ****ing Lightning from Final Fantasy 13. I felt a combination of confusion and crushing disappointment.

So there you have it, if Dream Theory continues to hold up for me, then not only will CP11 be Kiryu, but some of the Mii costumes to come with him include Corviknight, Helix and everyone's favorite Shinobi character, Lightning FF13

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Now that you mention it, I also had a dream yesterday.

The thing is, it wasn't a character reveal, but rather a Mii costume showcase. Sakurai started off by saying some Sonic costumes were coming, but no Sonic costumes were actually shown, so that was a ****ing lie.

One of the costumes I actually don't remember what it was, but aside from that, one of them was Corviknight. Don't ask me how it'd work, cause I didn't actually see what it looked like, but the person to my side was like "oh **** it's corviknight" and I did see the SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X POKEMON title card, except the Pokemon logo had a weird subtitle I don't remember.

Another Mii shown was Helix, and I popped off, cause Helix is my dude. It covered the whole head with his face and the costume even had, like, blob physics and ****. It was epic.

However, my favorite part of the dream: after the Mii that I don't remember but before Corviknight and Helix, a title card showed up saying SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE X SHINOBI. I popped off hard cause of course, I thought "OH **** JOE MUSASHI MII LETS GOOOOOOOOO". However. The costume shown afterwards was not any actual Shinobi character, but ****ing Lightning from Final Fantasy 13. I felt a combination of confusion and crushing disappointment.

So there you have it, if Dream Theory continues to hold up for me, then not only will CP11 be Kiryu, but some of the Mii costumes to come with him include Corviknight, Helix and everyone's favorite Shinobi character, Lightning FF13
Corviknight Mii sounds like a recipe for cursed imagery, not gonna lie.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Here are characters I think have at least a decent shot at being CP11. I could obviously be completely wrong, but I guess we'll have to wait and see, lol.
Reasoning and notes:
1. Alis is the protagonist of the original Phantasy Star. It's one of the most important JRPG franchises not yet in Smash. PSO is also very important to Japanese gaming as a whole. With New Genesis now on Switch, this might be the perfect time for a Phantasy Star rep. I picked Alis, but it could be any number of Phantasy Star characters. Alis in particular does fit purple theory, tho...

2. Ryu Hayabusa still has a strong shot. I don't really see the interviews as deconfirmations as some others think. Ryu Hayabusa is the last big NES icon not yet in Smash. And Koei Tecmo has been a huge supporter of the Switch, as well as helping with the development of multiple Switch titles with Nintendlo. With the previous rumor that there have been negotiations with Koei Tecmo for Smash content, it might be his to finally join Smash!

3. Gordon Freeman fits in the category of surprise big character. A character no one suspects that's from a rather big and important franchise. Very few FPS franchises have that level of importance that Half-Life does. Gordon is also often ranked among the most beloved western video game characters there is. With the rumor that Nintendo had been working with Valve to make a Switch exclusive Half-Life game, Nintendo might see something in Half-Life that it doesn't see in many other western Third-Party franchises. Namely, a deserved slot in Smash.

4. Waluigi is probably the most wanted Nintendo not yet in Smash. And after the big stink people made at E3 2018, I could see Nintendo wanting to finish off Ultimate with him to appease those fans. Plus, he does fit purple theory...

5. Phoenix Wright is basically the last Capcom character standing not named Amaterasu. Unlike Amaterasu, though, Phoenix is part of a long-running franchise. Not to mention its strong ties to Nintendo (Okami has that too, tho). While not as big as Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, or Devil May Cry, Nintendo might have wanted him due to that closeness as well as giving the visual novels their deserved due. Plus, Capcom continues to support Smash DLC with new Spirits. With the recent Cloud glitch potentially fitting his moves, he might just be the most likely character right now.

6. Master Chief has a few good things going for him. Microsoft's ongoing support of the Switch, rumors that Game Pass and/or xCloud might be coming to Switch Pro, the whole Vergeben thing, and the fact that he would be perfect with the whole "finish the fight" tagline. Not to mention it would be such an epic way to end Smash.

7. I'll combine Demi-fiend with the SMTV protagonist points. Demi-fiend is arguably the most popular SMT character. And like Square Enix and Microsoft did, Atlus might get another character this pass. They have also continued to support Smash DLC with the recent Persona 5 Strikers Spirit. With its major presence on Nintendo systems, as well as Nocturne's more recent port, Demi-fiend might be something Nintendo wants to put in Smash. However, Nintendo might also want to go with the SMTV protagonist to help push the upcoming title this November. It would be a good idea and did help with Fire Emblem. Too early? Roy begs to differ (though, he was a clone), and the game has been in development for years. Nintendo might already have all the info they need to make him work in Smash. Either way, an SMT character seems incredibly likely to be CP11.

Note: Crash seems not as likely to me anymore. Sorry, Crash fans. 😢
So, what do you guys think of my points? And who do you think is most likely to be CP11?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Looks like a tournament for 2010s characters, which means the final DLC fighter probably isn't from the 2010s.
Means LITERALLY nothing. We got a tournament for characters with their dads as Spirits a week before they released a character and his dad as a Spirit.

With Sakurai mentioning that the Mii Costumes we got this round were highly requested as fighters, I wonder if we'll get a similar bunch of popular requests in the last bunch. It feels like Sakurai still wants Ultimate to have as much as possible and he clearly sees Mii Costumes as compensation and somewhat playable representation, so maybe we'll get more popular picks to top it all off. At that point it probably wouldn't sting as much either as if they're not the last character, a Mii Costume is still better than nothing.
I have to say, I REALLY want them to announce the FP11 Miis BEFORE announcing the FP11 fighter. Since it's the last one, tell us who it isn't before telling us who it is.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Means LITERALLY nothing. We got a tournament for characters with their dads as Spirits a week before they released a character and his dad as a Spirit.
The thing is, it seems that THEY ARE literally holding onto Tournaments for certain characters release, as multiple time, the number jumped in the data for a tournament, until a certain character was out.
Doesn't mean it 100% isn't a character that is not from the 2010, but it's something to consider.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The thing is, it seems that THEY ARE literally holding onto Tournaments for certain characters release, as multiple time, the number jumped in the data for a tournament, until a certain character was out.
Doesn't mean it 100% isn't a character that is not from the 2010, but it's something to consider.
No thanks. It's inconsistent, which makes it just another pointless fanrule.

So, what do you guys think of my points?
I think Hayabusa is on there, so your points are great!

That said, I don't think Waluigi, Demifiend or SMT5 Protag are happening, because I still don't believe any franchise is going to get 2 Fighters in Ultimate.

And who do you think is most likely to be CP11?
Hayabusa.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That doesn't invalidate his point though, Kazuya has a dad and is a dad
Sooooo

we got a glitch

it ain’t inkling but

Frozen Cross Slash animation = OBJECTION?

… yeah I doubt it. Feenie would be dope tho
Wow it's almost like glitches are an inevitability and not a hint. Unless of course, there's some massive DLC planned for Sonic 06 or Skyrim coming soon

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sooooo

we got a glitch

it ain’t inkling but

I doubt it... Graze Glitch only seemingly meant something because it was a global one, working with multiple characters and projectiles. Which signified a new global mechanic or fix being added.

Character-specific glitches seem to be just that, though.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Wow it's almost like glitches are an inevitability and not a hint. Unless of course, there's some massive DLC planned for Sonic 06 or Skyrim coming soon
is a beloved character and a fan favorite among Skyrim players
can utilize the shout mechanic without being Dragonborn
represents the common mini-boss battles and one of the selling points of Skyrim
token non-human fighter of Fighter Pass 2
Ridley automatically makes all size arguments invalid
Charles Martinet is easy for Sakurai to contact
What a shocking but bold decision for Nintendo to make Paarthurnax the Bethesda rep.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
In b4 all of it is the work of Jacob Crow - TimeSplitters' bad guy:

Crow anno 2052 teaching his younger self how to use the time machine in an attempt to get the younger Crow to create Smash Bros before Sakurai does, 1994.
So, yes, this is how Cortez wins.

I'll laugh if after tournaments for 80s, 90s, 2000s and new 10s, our last fighter is from 2020 or 2021.
Nintendo proceeds to release Fall Guy as CP11 months after Fall Guys had its popularity peak.

Sooooo

we got a glitch

it ain’t inkling but

While I agree with 3Bit, I'm still interested in what caused that glitch - especially since I've never seen that in all my hours spent playing Cloud. The kanji does linger normally, so the bug might simply be that it in this case freezes when it's supposed to vanish.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here are characters I think have at least a decent shot at being CP11. I could obviously be completely wrong, but I guess we'll have to wait and see, lol.

Reasoning and notes:

So, what do you guys think of my points? And who do you think is most likely to be CP11?
Among my most wanted characters, I feel like these have the most realistic shot at getting in as the final DLC:

1) Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
2) Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft)
3) Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
4) Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
5) Gengar (Pokémon)
6) Arthas (WarCraft)
7) Diablo (Diablo)
8) Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
9) Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
10) Crono (Chrono Trigger)

Pretty much all of these are either considered unlikely or just never brought up at all by the general Smash community. I tend to go against the grain a lot with my thinking so it’s probably just me being contrarian but I think these could all happen and are pretty underrated picks.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Reasoning and notes:

Master Chief has been seemingly dis-confirmed by Brian Jarrard

The Waluigi outcry only seems to be a western thing and from what I've seen Nintendo of America are only a marketing and translation team. I could see Sakurai maybe listening to the outcry but Japan Nintendo are picking out the characters and I don't see them paying any mind to the Waluigi craze. Especially when most of the characters in both fighter passes aren't particularly requested by fans in the west. I mean Banjo & Kazooie got in but I doubt that was done entirely by Nintendo's free will when they're the only characters who were revealed and released with another character being Hero and Terry so I assume they didn't have much confidence in the bear & bird duo.

The other five I have no idea what to think of them so you're probably right about them.

As for who I think is most likely, I know everyone thinks Cortez is a long shot but this is probably the best chance he has ever got into being an actual Smash character. The revival of the series happening within the Fighter Pass 1 & 2 range has brought me a lot of hope. Especially when they brought back Steve Ellis and David Doak to work on the project and uh... Sakurai likes to get the original devs on board to accurately make the characters soooooooo...

Time to Split!

Yo we splittin over here.gif

Paraster

Smash Lord
I think Gordon Freeman is slept on. He's not necessarily super likely, but he's vaguely similar to Master Chief in concept and much moreso in origin; I'd say he's a little under Chief in likeliness.

Demi-Fiend is also slept on, but mostly because Nahobino is given priority nowadays. I think Demi-Fiend is more likely, though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I still don't think that the SMTV protagonist is likely. They have never used a third party to shill an upcoming release. Also, the characters were decided back in November 2019, and possibly earlier than that. Also, assuming that the final character releases in September, we would have another Roy situation on our hands because SMTV doesn't come out until November.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I've listened to about half the Tekken tracks now, and so far...I haven't liked any of them...
I’ll have to judge for myself later today. There is a good chance it’s turning into a Killer Instinct stage if I mod the game. It definitely resembles Jago’s stage from the X-Box game and KI has amazing music.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I still don't think that the SMTV protagonist is likely. They have never used a third party to shill an upcoming release. Also, the characters were decided back in November 2019, and possibly earlier than that. Also, assuming that the final character releases in September, we would have another Roy situation on our hands because SMTV doesn't come out until November.
I'd say hero was both a legacy pick and a promotional pick for DQXIS, and an SMT rep could easily fit that description.

Among my most wanted characters, I feel like these have the most realistic shot at getting in as the final DLC:

1) Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
2) Sarah Kerrigan (StarCraft)
3) Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
4) Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
5) Gengar (Pokémon)
6) Arthas (WarCraft)
7) Diablo (Diablo)
8) Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
9) Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
10) Crono (Chrono Trigger)

Pretty much all of these are either considered unlikely or just never brought up at all by the general Smash community. I tend to go against the grain a lot with my thinking so it’s probably just me being contrarian but I think these could all happen and are pretty underrated picks.
I know next to nothing about the series, but a Dynasty Warriors character would make sense. Ryu overshadowed them, but it could easily happen.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'd say hero was both a legacy pick and a promotional pick for DQXIS, and an SMT rep could easily fit that description.
That wouldn't really fit the SMTV protagonist unless they included other SMT protagonists as alts like they did with Hero, and that would be weird.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Youve heard of the Korean Back dash
get ready for the Korean forward dash

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I was going to put together a list of characters I think are most likely, but then I realised it was mostly characters that I actually really want + Waluigi as number 1.

If Crash actually does make it in as the final slot, what will all the doomposters and rageposters do with their lives?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Kazuya is fuuuuun. He hits like an absolute truck. I’m excited to learn, he might become one of my favorite characters.

It’s weird that Capcom fighters are my favorite but I like Terry & Kazuya way more than Ryu/Ken in Smash.
This, Terry was a big surprise to me in terms of how fun he was and Kazuya is shaping up to be a blast as well.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
That wouldn't really fit the SMTV protagonist unless they included other SMT protagonists as alts like they did with Hero, and that would be weird.
The I, II, IV and IVA protagonists also use swords, but the first 2 can't use magic, and the V protag's sword being an extension of his arm makes it work slightly differently. So they could do it, but it would look weird, and wouldn't represent some characters properly no matter what.

The only character that I feel would fit as a legacy and promo pick is the Jack bros, since they're iconic and at least Jack Frost and Jack O'Lantern are guaranteed to be in V (Jack the Ripper is less likely, but has been used in recent artwork so he has a chance).

I don't want that though, because even though I really like Jack Frost, he doesn't represent SMT as well as a protagonist.

Edit: This just posted itself without letting me finish it. Weird.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Looks like I'll have a gap in my spirit line-up until the next character comes out. I was willing to get Ghosts 'N' Goblins Resurrection because I heard that the game had several easier difficulties, which made the game more accessible than the classic ones, but Monster Hunter Tri was too clunky for me to get into (no lock-on, lots of resource management mid-combat between stamina and sharpening, and weapons either take an absurdly long time to swing or do next-to-no damage with nothing in between), and from what I've seen of the later games, I don't think they've gotten better in that regard.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Looks like I'll have a gap in my spirit line-up until the next character comes out. I was willing to get Ghosts 'N' Goblins Resurrection because I heard that the game had several easier difficulties, which made the game more accessible than the classic ones, but Monster Hunter Tri was too clunky for me to get into (no lock-on, lots of resource management mid-combat between stamina and sharpening, and weapons either take an absurdly long time to swing or do next-to-no damage with nothing in between), and from what I've seen of the later games, I don't think they've gotten better in that regard.
Well, this is Monster Hunter Stories. It's more like a Pokemon game than an actual Monster Hunter game, if that's helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom