• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
There is zero creepy tone to Melee. Brinstar Depths and maybe Venom. The rest of the game is a carefree light hearted toned game. Brawl was darker than Melee. And Smash 64 is basically Smash in a vault.
I can see how the game can come off as "creepy". It kind of has that unintentionally startling/uneasy vibe to it that "plagues" lots of 90s and early 2000s media (THX logo, Walt Disney Home Video logo, Playstation 2 UI, Xbox startup, Windows XP startup and shutdown sounds, etc).

In particular, Melee's menu design sort of feels like an empty void (Smash 64 feels the same tbh). Couple that with some other unintentionally creepy stuff and I can see where he's coming from.

These things being creepy in retrospect reeeaaally depends on your age.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
can see how the game can come off as "creepy". It kind of has that unintentionally startling/uneasy vibe to it that "plagues" lots of 90s and early 2000s media (THX logo, Walt Disney Home Video logo, Playstation 2 UI, Xbox startup, Windows XP startup and shutdown sounds, etc).
Don't forget about TV production company logos after the credits from a TV show/cartoon/sitcom.

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Don't forget certain TV production company logos after the credits from a TV show/cartoon/sitcom.
This always startled me when I was a child.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I disagree. The only genre that has gotten more than one rep are RPGs. Everything else is one spot only.
So you disagree because a single genre has more than 1 character, which goes against your argument of a hard limit? Like, Nintendo would have also kept that to 1 if they genuinely had a limit, it's not a hard rule, but rather a coincidence other genres only got 1 per pass

Twilord

Smash Ace
Yeah I just don't see Starcract. I thnk its more likely LOL. Lol is bigger than just Korea btw. Its also very popular in China, and the west.

I disagree. The only genre that has gotten more than one rep are RPGs. Everything else is one spot only.

Are we counting each pass seperately? If not, fighting games.

If we are counting those two seperately - yeah the first pass had two turn-based RPG characters in Joker and Hero. Tactical RPGs are kind of their own genre so Byleth doesn't really count.

Xenoblade is definitely not turn-based so is its own beast entirely; but it feels like a bit of a lie to say the say the same about Sephiroth... OR it would if FF7R weren't itself a wildly different type of RPG.

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

papagenos papagenos Suggests that Practicalbrush12 could start leaking Nintendo stuff pretty soon. Though don't have high expectations because he might not be able to leak a Smash charatcer/BOTW2 because last direct he didn't leak Pyra/Mythra and Splatoon 3.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Saw people discussion Mario Kart before.

I'm in the camp that would rather see WarioWare characters, Captain Syrup, more DK characters, and characters from other Mario spinoffs and the RPGS get into Mario Kart before we even entertain the idea of turning Mario Kart into "Super Smash Bros 2.0 but with cars"

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Anyone else still expecting a Pokemon newcomer at this point?

I'm not counting it out until it's all over, honestly.
yes im 100% expecting zarude to be playable in smash to promote the movie. mewtwo and lucario also had movie clout before being added. and jiggly, charizard, squirtle, and greninja were all prominent in the anime

edit: now that I think abt it, decidueye is a very real possibility since its a starter in the games coming out next year and it was almost base roster. like for all we know, there's a fully functional model & moveset floating around in the dev's storage somewhere

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Saw people discussion Mario Kart before.

I'm in the camp that would rather see WarioWare characters, Captain Syrup, more DK characters, and characters from other Mario spinoffs and the RPGS get into Mario Kart before we even entertain the idea of turning Mario Kart into "Super Smash Bros 2.0 but with cars"
If Captain Syrup gets acknowledged again after what, 13 years...I'm going to pop off so hard.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
yes im 100% expecting zarude to be playable in smash to promote the movie. mewtwo and lucario also had movie clout before being added. and jiggly, charizard, squirtle, and greninja were all prominent in the anime
Greninja wasn't added because of the anime. Sakurai chose it because it appealed to him, because all he had in terms of reference for it was concept art. By the time it was revealed it hadn't even made a proper anime debut yet. Neither was Jigglypuff, which was added because it was similar, both in design and aesthetics, to Kirby. All of the Smash 64 unlockable characters reused assets from other fighters, but out of the four of them only Luigi could be considered a clone.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Ah yes promoting a movie that was supposed to come out in July 2020 as of when the fighter's pass was finalized, that didn't end up airing until December and still does not have a finalized release date in the west.

The only character that was chosen because of the anime was Jigglypuff, but that was the 90's.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ah yes promoting a movie that was supposed to come out in July 2020 as of when the fighter's pass was finalized, that didn't end up airing until December and still does not have a finalized release date in the west.

The only character that was chosen because of the anime was Jigglypuff, but that was the 90's.
Jigglypuff also has the benefits of having a similar body type to Kirby, allowing them to reuse some of Kirby's animations.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Greninja wasn't added because of the anime.
never said it was lmfao

u can spin it however you want but all the pokemon in smash were prominent in the anime or had their own movie, plus no western release date for the zarude movie means absolutely nothing since the game is centralized around japan

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If you're talking about creepy/unsettling, I think the first game actually does that best. The main menu and 1P mode clear songs in particular seem to try to be eery

Nothing beats the Subspace themes when it comes to eerie Smash original tracks. Especially Version 3.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm sitting in such an amazing spot where everyone I've ever wanted is playable or is an assist trophy. The only standout 3rd party I'd be super excited for is Master Chief since I'm a huge Halo fan, but even if that doesn't happen Ultimate has treated me sooo kindly after Smash 4 was a personal dud.

So outside of Chief, if I had a preference I'd probably prefer 1st parties. Dunno who tho. I think I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Seeing Giga Bowser nowadays and hearing his theme is very whatever. But damn, Seeing Giga Bowser pop up out of nowhere in Melee after beating normal Bowser and hearing the distorted, twisted-sounding FD theme was some real **** as a kid back in the day,
Seeing Giga Bowser nowadays will be all fun and games until he suddenly pops up in a mainline Mario game and makes Fury Bowser look like a cuddly kitten.

But in all honesty, Giga Bowser appearing in a mainline Mario game would still be quite shocking considering mainline Marios almost never have spin-off stuff or references.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Talking about a Pokemon rep at this point is kinda silly. Feel free to do so, but I'll explain why they really have no chance, even though I'll be repeating myself for some of it.
  • Mewtwo, a returning and the most-requested veteran aside, we have never gotten Pokemon for DLC. Sakurai seems to specifically save one slot in the base game for a Pokemon each new release of Smash, and will go for the newest generation whenever he can it seems, even if he doesn't have much gameplay to base their moveset off of. This sets a current precedent of not getting Pokemon as DLC.

• Pokemon doesn't need shilling, and even when it does Nintendo does a good job of that outside of other franchises. In addition, TPC is rumoredly not keen on Pokemon DLC for non-Pokemon games.

• Past generations have been skipped before. We currently have no Gen 3 or Gen 5 Pokemon playable, however Sakurai has made no effort to go back and plug those gaps. There have also been Pokemon cuts each new release, presumably to let the newer ones shine and dedicate time to other characters, so it's not as if Pokemon is some golden goose Sakurai has to chase whenever possible.

• The above facts kill the chance of a Pokemon from a past generation being in this pass, as well as how most people voted for Gen 8 Pokemon for some reason in the Mega Smash Poll, which represents general perception of character requests and speculation at the time. Sceptile was the highest past-gen Mon at #92 with 30 votes, getting rather beat out by Rillaboom, Cinderace and Toxtricity. In addition, it;s likely seen that all the Pokemon in the game give enough representation in Smash so there is no need to include older Mons, and in comparison to other requested characters, Pokemon in general falls far down the list. Take into consideration that Travis was #14 and got only a costume (and for those of you 100% counting out Geno for some reason, he was #2 in by your stance got only a reused asset), where as the only character in the Top Ten to make playable thus far is Steve/Alex, so the highest Pokemon being #52 really isn't much of a consideration in terms of fan requests. An older Mon has a better chance in base game, like Pichu, Pokemon Trainer and solo Zard.

• Gen 8 has it's chances gutted not by the Spirit Event, although it is good evidence against it, but due to timing. Take a look back at each Pokemon inclusion and when their game released in comparison to that version of Smash.

• Red & Blue: Sept 1998 - Smash 64: April 1999 (Yellow Version was out in Japan in 1998 but would hit US until after Smash 64 later in 1999)
    • Gold & Silver: Oct 2000 / Crystal: July 2001 - Melee: Dec 2001
    • Ruby & Sapphire: March 2003 / Emerald May 2005 - Skipped.
    • Fire Red & Leaf Green: Sept 2004 / Diamond & Pearl: April 2007 - Brawl: March, 2008
    • Black & White: March 2011 / Black & White 2: Oct 2012 - Skipped.
    • X & Y: Oct 2013 - Smash 3DS: Oct 2014 / Smash WiiU: Nov 2014
    • Sun & Moon: Nov 2016 / Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon: Nov 2017 - Ultimate: Dec 2018
    • Sword & Shield: Oct 2020 - Shows all the same signs of being skipped.

• Considering how rushed Pokemon games are anymore, it's very likely that Sword & Shield got the CoD/NBA 2K/Assassin's Creed treatment and got pumped out very quickly. It was teased in 2017, which doesn't mean lots of work had been done by then, but regardless at best this means development on Sword and Shield started after Ultimate's development as it was teased at E3 2017 while we know Sakurai started the building blocks of Ultimate in late 2015. This clashes heavily, and due to the issues GameFreak has openly admitted to having, it's likely that nothing from SwiSh was in a ready-enough state for Sakurai to work with, which is odd since he made Greninja from just concept art but here we are.

• The next generation of main-line Pokemon games are hopefully far off into 2025+ territory, and thus there is no chance of any new Pokemon from a Gen 9 or whatever getting into Ultimate.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Talking about a Pokemon rep at this point is kinda silly. Feel free to do so, but I'll explain why they really have no chance, even though I'll be repeating myself for some of it.
  • Mewtwo, a returning and the most-requested veteran aside, we have never gotten Pokemon for DLC. Sakurai seems to specifically save one slot in the base game for a Pokemon each new release of Smash, and will go for the newest generation whenever he can it seems, even if he doesn't have much gameplay to base their moveset off of. This sets a current precedent of not getting Pokemon as DLC.

• Pokemon doesn't need shilling, and even when it does Nintendo does a good job of that outside of other franchises. In addition, TPC is rumoredly not keen on Pokemon DLC for non-Pokemon games.

• Past generations have been skipped before. We currently have no Gen 3 or Gen 5 Pokemon playable, however Sakurai has made no effort to go back and plug those gaps. There have also been Pokemon cuts each new release, presumably to let the newer ones shine and dedicate time to other characters, so it's not as if Pokemon is some golden goose Sakurai has to chase whenever possible.

• The above facts kill the chance of a Pokemon from a past generation being in this pass, as well as how most people voted for Gen 8 Pokemon for some reason in the Mega Smash Poll, which represents general perception of character requests and speculation at the time. Sceptile was the highest past-gen Mon at #92 with 30 votes, getting rather beat out by Rillaboom, Cinderace and Toxtricity. In addition, it;s likely seen that all the Pokemon in the game give enough representation in Smash so there is no need to include older Mons, and in comparison to other requested characters, Pokemon in general falls far down the list. Take into consideration that Travis was #14 and got only a costume (and for those of you 100% counting out Geno for some reason, he was #2 in by your stance got only a reused asset), where as the only character in the Top Ten to make playable thus far is Steve/Alex, so the highest Pokemon being #52 really isn't much of a consideration in terms of fan requests. An older Mon has a better chance in base game, like Pichu, Pokemon Trainer and solo Zard.

• Gen 8 has it's chances gutted not by the Spirit Event, although it is good evidence against it, but due to timing. Take a look back at each Pokemon inclusion and when their game released in comparison to that version of Smash.
    • Red & Blue: Sept 1998 - Smash 64: April 1999 (Yellow Version was out in Japan in 1998 but would hit US until after Smash 64 later in 1999)
    • Fire Red & Leaf Green: Sept 2004 / Diamond & Pearl: April 2007 - Brawl: March, 2008
  • Considering how rushed Pokemon games are anymore, it's very likely that Sword & Shield got the CoD/NBA 2K/Assassin's Creed treatment and got pumped out very quickly. It was teased in 2017, which doesn't mean lots of work had been done by then, but regardless at best this means development on Sword and Shield started after Ultimate's development as it was teased at E3 2017 while we know Sakurai started the building blocks of Ultimate in late 2015. This clashes heavily, and due to the issues GameFreak has openly admitted to having, it's likely that nothing from SwiSh was in a ready-enough state for Sakurai to work with, which is odd since he made Greninja from just concept art but here we are.

• The next generation of main-line Pokemon games are hopefully far off into 2025+ territory, and thus there is no chance of any new Pokemon from a Gen 9 or whatever getting into Ultimate.
I don’t think a Pokemon is coming either, but your reasoning seems off. You say we’ve never had pokemon dlc except mewtwo...but we’ve had dlc for only 2 games now so choosing to exclude a pokemon dlc that we did get from such a small sample size seems off. And yes we’ve skipped several pokemon gens, but not ones with release dates so conveniently close to Smash while dlc is on the table.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't think a Pokemon is coming cause I don't think any franchise is going to get a 2nd character in Ultimate.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman

I do agree with your logic, but I used similar reasoning to argue that Byleth wasn't going to happen and then Nintendo struck me with the "YOU FOOL" stick. I think the chance is small but still realistic.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Also, the PS2 and GCN menus scared the **** out of me as a kid.
The Original Xbox was no slouch either
Never had a problem with the PS2 bios/menu, but the Gamecube one had that unsettling feel, yes, expecially when it started at random because the console failed to read the disk and was unexpected.

I didn't have an X Box but that one seems to be the same if not worse, and unrelated but it also looks a bit like Melee's menu lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom