• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
She's the main heroine and the deuteragonist of PSO2, at least in the earlier chapters.

TBF, it's still a big series. It wouldn't be a weirder addition than say, Persona.

But it'd certainly be a weird way for us to get our first MMO character.
I think it's just weird in that if anything, they'd probably be our next character if I were a betting man. Like, they don't 'have' to be, but it kinda feels like they would be.

And dropping a character like this at E3 of all places would be... odd?

Like, maybe I'm being a bit greedy here, but it almost feels crazy not to pull a repeat of 2019 in this case, because you're gonna have one part of the globe going nuts, while a good majority of the rest has no idea what they're looking at. Like, even Terry, a character who's arguably the smallest 3rd party this game, was still decently well know.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think it's just weird in that if anything, they'd probably be our next character if I were a betting man. Like, they don't 'have' to be, but it kinda feels like they would be.

And dropping a character like this at E3 of all places would be... odd?

Like, maybe I'm being a bit greedy here, but it almost feels crazy not to pull a repeat of 2019 in this case, because you're gonna have one part of the globe going nuts, while a good majority of the rest has no idea what they're looking at. Like, even Terry, a character who's arguably the smallest 3rd party this game, was still decently well know.
I don't know that much about PSO2, but I know Western fans have been begging for years for it to come to the West so it has at least a notable overseas fanbase. Plus, they can always do a double reveal with a more Banjo/Ridley-like character.

Matoi doesn't seem likely to me btw. But if we get her, I expect a lengthy "Sakurai teaches Smash fans video game history" session and they're always fun.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Sakurai being a man of taste with how horny he is as the years passes and let it slip in smash.
Reject speculation. Return to Horny Theory.

It's the only theory worth entertaining besides Fire Theory and Neutral B Projectile Theory. :4pacman:

I mean, the moment we get PSO, we literally pass the mark where the only 'major" franchise that Sega did not put in smash would be Football Manager and Yakuza.

I let you guess why one of them is probably not possible.
Puyo is also considered major, no? Maybe that data is old by now, but I remember seeing it listed in the top 3 for Sega franchises - at the very least, in Japan.

That said, I still have a hunch that a Puyo Spirit Event is coming...

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I mean, the moment we get PSO, we literally pass the mark where the only 'major" franchise that Sega did not put in smash would be Football Manager and Yakuza.

Kiryu would never hit a women, ruling Yakuza out. This means Tom Brady will be the final DLC rep.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Call me a slowpoke, but IF we get Lloyd Irving, I think it would be funny if he got revealed as the last fighter during the Mii Costume showcase for the next fighter (as in his Mii Costume gets revealed at the same time the man himself does).

osby

Smash Obsessed
I forgot when was the last time Sega even claimed that Puyo was one of their major IP in a report, but I guess Puyo would count
There's also Total War but I think it's safe to say it won't be getting a character in Smash.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Because Football Manager is too realistic?

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Dante and Demi-Fiend double reveal crackpot theory

Back in Smash 4, Corrin and Bayonetta were the final two fighters, being revealed together in the final Smash Direct. Bayonetta was also a popular hack and slash character who people wanted in Smash, there is precedence of the last two DLC characters in Smash being both a JRPG rep and a hack and slash rep put together.

Back in December 2018, Hideki Kamiya did a poll asking for what characters people wanted in Smash that he made, where Dante won by a landslide before he deleted the tweet. Kamiya often uses Twitter to survey for collabs and future projects.

In February 2019, Hideaki Itsuno did an interview and claimed that Dante should only get in Smash after his games release on Nintendo systems. A few months later, Devil May Cry 1 would release on Switch, with 2 and 3 later releasing. DMC3 on the Switch got its own special edition with new mechanics that was not in the original game.

Some spirits that have come to advertise a new game that are downloadable (Tockles and Sophia) already have a Spirit Board they can go to, with Tockles going to the Dragon Quest spirit board and Sophia presumably will go to the Persona 5 spirit board. Arthur on the other hand, does not have any spirit board, as it is unlikely Ghosts n Goblins will get a character after the Arthur Mii Costume. This means that they would likely put the Arthur spirit with a Capcom character to follow the pattern, which could very well be Dante.

Xenother, a leaker associated with Vergeben, claimed that Dante was originally planned for the base game, but could not get the character to work, leaving them to be DLC similarly to Steve. This fits Second Chances Theory which is the idea that this second Fighters Pass is all about bringing back characters that were attempted to be made during the base game.

Demi-Fiend and Dante have had crossovers before, in SMT 3, Dante is an optional boss fight and is the cause of the “Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series” meme that was put on the box art of Nocturne. In addition, Nintendo referenced this on Twitter when advertising Nocturne.

This also would not be the first time an ATLUS character has had a meme referenced, with ATLUS’ Twitter account making a “You’ll never see it coming” joke after Joker’s reveal in Smash.

So far, unlike Square and Microsoft, there is no second character for SEGA in this pass. Joker also only brought Persona content, not Shin Megami Tensei content. Demi-Fiend would add another SEGA character similarly to Square and Microsoft. In addition, SMT III Nocturne has just released recently, with SMT V news at E3. They could reveal Demi-Fiend to market SMT III and SMT V, similarly to Hero.

epicmartin7 epicmartin7 ’s colour theory could also fit Dante and Demi-Fiend as a double reveal, as the last characters are looking to be red and green, with Dante heavily associated with red and Demi-Fiend associating with green. In addition, EpicMartin7 got the colours for CP9 correct, as they were revealed to be Pyra/Mythra with the colour of green, though with a different tinge.

Sakurai also said the Fighters Pass will end "soon", with several insiders speculating a double reveal to happen. In addition, Sakurai said there will be "Over 100 POTD" being posted before the pass ends, and now there is over 150, making it very soon for the POTD's to end, presumably with the final character reveals, at E3.

TL;DR
300px-Pepe_Silvia.jpg

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I forgot when was the last time Sega even claimed that Puyo was one of their major IP in a report, but I guess Puyo would count
There's this report from 2017. It comes from Sega Sammy's site as an internal document, so I'm assuming it's legit.

On page 73, Puyo is listed as one of Sega's biggest IPs, at 25M units/downloads total, making it second only to Sonic.

Then there's the fact that between PPT, PPT2, Champions and Quest, it's got a decent number of releases in the past few years, so I'm assuming it's turning a good profit for them.

EDIT: Also lol the pages upon pages about pachislot

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I find it funnier how we talked in length about a potential newcomer to a fighting game and I still have no idea how she fights.
I haven't played PSO2 beyond the character creator (the hardest part of any game) buuut if I had to take a guess... she'd use a sword for her regular attacks, and all her special attacks look like animations from her game. ...like the other 5 JRPG characters added as DLC. At least they're easy to balance, apparently.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
she'd use a sword for her regular attacks,
Bzzzt
She use a magic/tech staff/lance

and all her special attacks look like animations from her game
Like everyone in smash? Or rather mostly everyone in smash?

like the other 5 JRPG characters added as DLC.
**** me, all of the smash character are JRPG characters then

I don't know if it's irrony, or not, but with how you seems to have been against her "horrible design", I'm sure it's not

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Xenother, a leaker associated with Vergeben, claimed that Dante was originally planned for the base game, but could not get the character to work
I'm sorry, what? This is the first time I've seen this and you'd think this would be brought up a lot more considering how popular a request Dante became, only basegame rumours I saw for him was the one from the DMCV leaker

osby

Smash Obsessed
Bzzzt

I don't know if it's irrony, or not, but with how you seems to have been against her "horrible design", I'm sure it's not
Well, after spending an entire day explaining why tribalistic behaviour against JRPG characters is unhealthy and pointless... time to do it all over again. :cheep:

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'm sorry, what? This is the first time I've seen this and you'd think this would be brought up a lot more considering how popular a request Dante became, only basegame rumours I saw for him was the one from the DMCV leaker
He posted this on the Geno thread.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Bzzzt
I mean
Joker/Hero/Byleth/Sephiroth/Pyra,Mythra: normals are slashes and stabs not particularly based on anything except their main weapon. Specials are all namesake things from their games
Banjo/Terry/Steve: practically every move they have is a callout to their original games, on par with Game and Watch or Mega Man
there's a predictable pattern to how JRPG characters are implemented in Smash. they're never particularly inspired.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean
Joker/Hero/Byleth/Sephiroth/Pyra,Mythra: normals are slashes and stabs not particularly based on anything except their main weapon. Specials are all namesake things from their games
Banjo/Terry/Steve: practically every move they have is a callout to their original games, on par with Game and Watch or Mega Man
there's a predictable pattern to how JRPG characters are implemented in Smash. they're never particularly inspired.
Yeah, let's ignore Hero's animations being lifted and referencing Akira Toriyama's multiple work, notably Dragon ball panels.
Joker's Stylish dagger animation, alongside Arsène omnious presences fighting behind him in tandem.
Pyra and Mythra showing how, just by timing and feedback, on a same animation, you can give a sense of power or speed.

That's such a narrow minded view....What the hell man?

xzx

Smash Lord
I don't know if this has already been discussed in this thread or not (I don't come here very often), but hasn't Sakurai kinda deconfirmed a lot of characters during the Pyra & Mythra presentation video? He said that he has figurines of each character (hidden in a safe) since they are a big help to him when creating the character models for the game. If I remember correctly, he said that he has the last two figurines hidden in his safe and can't reveal them yet. Doesn't this indirectly confirm that video game characters that don't have a figurine of some sort (like Paper Mario for example, my most wanted character since Brawl) won't appear in the FP2?

Just a thought.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Yeah, let's ignore Hero's animations being lifted and referencing Akira Toriyama's multiple work, notably Dragon ball panels.
Joker's Stylish dagger animation, alongside Arsène omnious presences fighting behind him in tandem.
Pyra and Mythra showing how, just by timing and feedback, on a same animation, you can give a sense of power or speed.

That's such a narrow minded view....What the hell man?
The Hero animation references I didn't know about, but the other two are more examples of dissonance between their original appearances and their Smash appearances. Arsene -and only Arsene- just floating behind Joker for a while before disappearing, and Pyra/Mythra being the same moveset but at different speeds feel nothing like their original games. They feel like afterthoughts.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Arsene -and only Arsene- just floating behind Joker for a while before disappearing
Open up your game.
Do a move with arsène behind.
No actually, do so with ALL of joker's move, even in slowmotion in training mode

Please do so,

Ignorance shouldn't be an excuses for trashing stuff.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean
This is just in, :ultmegaman:,:ultgnw: and :ultsteve: are only inspired characters in Smash, everyone else can go home.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
He posted this on the Geno thread.
Yeah I really don't think this is worth anything, especially as it uses that large list of names which failed to call some **** that only got any consideration because if you throw a large enough net, you're bound to catch something

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't know if this has already been discussed in this thread or not (I don't come here very often), but hasn't Sakurai kinda deconfirmed a lot of characters during the Pyra & Mythra presentation video? He said that he has figurines of each character (hidden in a safe) since they are a big help to him when creating the character models for the game. If I remember correctly, he said that he has the last two figurines hidden in his safe and can't reveal them yet. Doesn't this indirectly confirm that video game characters that don't have a figurine of some sort (like Paper Mario for example, my most wanted character since Brawl) won't appear in the FP2?

Just a thought.
It's not like every single character in Smash needs to have a figure in order to be included; Little Mac, for example, didn't have any merchandise prior to his amiibo that I know of, and Greninja and Byleth wouldn't have had any kind of merchandise when they were developed, since they were based on concept art or pre-release versions of the game.

If a figure exists, he'll use it for reference, but it doesn't seem to be necessary. (he got some kind of robot figure as a placeholder for some unknown character - maybe Inkling? It's unclear)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Open up your game.
Do a move with arsène behind.
No actually, do so with ALL of joker's move, even in slowmotion in training mode

Please do so,

Ignorance shouldn't be an excuses for trashing stuff.
It's almost like they don't actually care about their fake complaint and just creating nonexistent issues to unfairly downplay the characters they dislike with a bad faith argument.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's not like every single character in Smash needs to have a figure in order to be included; Little Mac, for example, didn't have any merchandise prior to his amiibo that I know of, and Greninja and Byleth wouldn't have had any kind of merchandise when they were developed, since they were based on concept art or pre-release versions of the game.
And to add to this, it wouldn't be outside of the idea, it's even common, for company to create figures/statue only for internal uses for artists and such. If Sakurai would need references for Byleth and the weapons, I'm sure Koei Tecmo would have given him 3D models, or any internal figures they'd need

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Just thought of something...

What characters would get Japan to act in a salty way?

We always discuss salt in regards to the western demographic, after all. oh I don't want this mcjrpg dude this scramble mcbimbo guy is stupid etc

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

We always discuss salt in regards to the western demographic, after all. oh I don't want this mcjrpg dude this scramble mcbimbo guy is stupid etc
I... don't know. I've heard that Japan rarely gets upset at Smash inclusions and whatnot. They are WAY more mature than us...

osby

Smash Obsessed

I know a lot of people in there were taken by surprise over Little Mac and Ridley's additions but not sure how much salt there was.

I think characters like Doom Guy and Master Chief also aren't big in Japan and get some "green Samus" remarks.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I... don't know. I've heard that Japan rarely gets upset at Smash inclusions and whatnot. They are WAY more mature than us...
Sad, isn't it? Why can't we just act responsibly?
I know a lot of people in there were taken by surprise over Little Mac and Ridley's additions but not sure how much salt there was.

I think characters like Doom Guy and Master Chief also aren't big in Japan and get some "green Samus" remarks.
Good to know. Least they welcome such surprises.

Also, I just realized, if neither of these last two fighters are western, that means Microsoft should consider themselves lucky, being the only western third party company to get playable representation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom