• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
It's amazing to me how you all can easily see one post criticizing the oversaturation of jrpg characters but you don't notice the "oh woe is me as a fire emblem fan because i dont have an axe user" And I know if I posted that one twitter post with 16,000 likes complaining that Lyn isnt playable it somehow "wouldnt count"
Why should someone who wanted Lyn be satisfied with other characters they didn’t want? Why should someone’s personal wishlist conform to arbitrary quotas based on series or, better yet, broad, poorly-defined genres?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Jesus Christ I hope the last two characters are Ayumi and Space Invader so this dumbass victimizing crap can end in disaster for everyone
Won't end in disaster for me!

I'm very much into obscure Nintendo history so I'd welcome Ayumi with open arms. And Space Invader would be an instant main for how out of left field it is.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, **** Xenoblade and Threehouses, you know, threehouses, the game that was voted BY THE PUBLIC game of the year at the game awards, when the journalist left it out from the running.
They're totally not in the top 30 best selling games on switch, right?
Yeah you could combine all the sales of those games and they wouldn't even come close to the best selling switch title. Hell Three Houses ranking drops almost every time a major switch game comes out.

Also don't you guys go "muh japan" a lot? Wouldn't it have made more sense to include a MH rep instead of Byleth or Pyra when MH is more popular in Japan? Hell Rise eclipsed 3H's sales the second it came out.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Honestly, every time it happens, I get the feeling I'm back in ******* high school.

What makes it worse is how childishly vindictive people are. No, it doesn't matter who started it, someone else being an ass to you doesn't excuse you being an ass to others. Someone has to be the better person, or else it never ******* stops.

Anyway, I wonder if we're getting one last new Spirit event before E3? This Tuesday is the last before the presentation, no?
I think this week it's a tournament

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Your issue here is that you seem to think this about what characters people want and not their ****ty attitudes, which is the actual problem. If you actually read, nobody’s complaining about platformer characters or calling the people who want them entitled.
Why should someone who wanted Lyn be satisfied with other characters they didn’t want? Why should someone’s personal wishlist conform to arbitrary quotas based on series or, better yet, broad, poorly-defined genres?
Somehow conveniently doesn't apply to platformers! Curious!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the crazier take going on right now is that amidst the genre warring some people seem behind the fact that Capcom cancelled like four Mega Man games in the span of like a year and then put the series on ice for like a further eight.

That's not curbing oversaturation, because the way to remedy that is to desaturate, not purge a series entirely. I think people are reading the wrong signals. If a series is on thin ice, you don't have like five active projects going for it. There was no huge-budget bomb to necessitate a total overcompensatory course correction.

What did happen, however, is Inafune lead the company down an ill-fated path trying to appeal westward, and then after delivering several poorly-performing titles, "departed" Capcom. Right before Capcom cancelled all those Mega Man games. I think it's a bit more complicated than "oversaturation".

Technomage

Smash Champion
Forget cereal mascots, anime, platformers, and JRPGs. We need some gritty, realistic FPS's. Like Halo, Doom, and Call of Duty.

Oh god, people talk about how difficult a rep would be for LoL, but Azur Lane is even worse. There's over 450 characters in that game.
For people in the unknown, there is an entire list.
And we all thought a LOL guessing game would be bad.

Yep. There are only 3 fighting game characters in the game if you include echoes. But platformer fans are starving. :4pacman:
There are actually 4.

:ultryu::ultken::ult_terry::ultminmin

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It’s from a very cursed French commercial, because of course it’s always the French.
Darn French. The only good thing they've given us is Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir, and I don't even watch that show.

Wait, what's the current discussion again?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You were just making fun of people doing that by buying the DLCs.
... No. I was making fun of people who are going ape **** because they aren't getting specific characters they want despite the season pass not making any promises.

There's a difference between that and someone going "you know, I may not get anything I want here but I'm willing to give it a shot."

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
You know. How would a Space Invader work for Smash?
I had an idea for a Space Invader moveset awhile back.

Basically it's Space InvaderS, so it's three at once, those being the three different types of aliens from Space Invaders. They fight together like Banjo & Kazooie or Duck Hunt, so no Ice Climbers or Pokemon Trainer-esque gimmicks. Their lightweight and have multiple jumps like Kirby, but have really good air mobility and have alright falling speed, but ridiculously quick fastfalling speed. Think Yoshi with Fox's fastfalling. This gives them excellent mobility but to compensate, their attacks are pretty weak and they have trouble KOing. As for the moves themselves, they'd be similar to Duck Hunt or Mr. Game & Watch or PAC-MAN, where they'd draw from other Atari games for some of their moves. I remember one of their smash attacks crushing an asteroid from Asteroids, sending debris around that moves slowly but travels really far, if that's any indication.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
... No. I was making fun of people who are going ape **** because they aren't getting specific characters they want despite the season pass not making any promises.

There's a difference between that and someone going "you know, I may not get anything I want here but I'm willing to give it a shot."
You could just say that either way though. I don't play the charcaters "wow how can you even tell?" I play the characters and dont like them "haha then why did you buy them?"

It's almost as if your issue is anyone who dissents and these strawman attitudes are a cover up.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Who is telling platformer fans to be satisfied with what they have?
The fact that platformer fans were targetted specifically by the scrimblo memes (which almost everyone in this thread defends/agrees with) you're more or less saying that they should be.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nah fam

Space Invader's final smash is gonna be Adam Sandler and Kevin James from Pixels charging into the battlefield and blasting foes like wild gunmen
That sounds hilarious. But I'm one of the few who enjoyed the movie(not saying it was well written, cause it sure as hell wasn't).

But yeah, Space Invader would be a crazy interesting character to get.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Man, as somebody who was super satisfied with K. Rool and BK finally joining the roster, this is just super embarrassing to witness.

I'm not going to pretend as though I waa completely innocent of bashing JRPG characters, as I was salty at Corrin joining Smash 4.

Most of that salt was more so leveled at how back then, we weren't exactly what would happen with Smash as a whole and if the roster as we knew it would even be upheld.

And you know, I would be lying if I said there wouldn't have been a small part that would have been a little disappointed if some of my most wanteds didn't get in, especially since this may very well be the absolute peak of Smash rosters. Some dream picks of mine such as Rayman, who is a so called "Scrimblo Brimblo," will very likely not make it, and that's rough.

That being said.

The people that said that they wouldn't ask for anyone ever again after _____ and _____ would get in and then display this behavior REALLY get on my nerves.

Get out of here with that garbage.

It especially pisses me off when these Twitter users make platforming fans seem tribalistic by portraying JRPG fans as the Boogeyman of the Smash community while in the same breath being absolute hypocrites themselves by supporting the "filthy" JRPG anime swordsmen that they feel so threatened by such as Sora, Dante, etc.

Not that they're not allowed to like those things, but it's especially ironic when said individuals perpetuate this power dynamic being unbalanced towards JRPGs and thus, further stigmatize platformer fans as being super close-minded of other genres.

Because of this, you already know there's going to be a lot of smug smack talk exchanged between these two if a non-JRPG character gets in.

It's going to be an absolute bloodbath of emotions, and we may not see something like this again for a long, long time.

E3 needs to get here fast.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
By the way if almost all the DLC was nothing but mascot platformers with one sword guy and there was this meme making fun of JRPG anime fans of complaining about them like the scrimblo one I'd take the JRPG fans side in that and so would the rest of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom