• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I live in the UK, so I'll probably stay up to see if they announce anything, but I don't know if I can be bothered staying up to watch a reveal for the new switch i xl pro, with a 1mm bigger screen.

Speaking of which, it's sometimes annoying that during the day, nothing happens here, but the thread moves forwards 20 pages overnight. I guess that's the pain of being in not-america™. The same thing happens with a few directs, and the game awards.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'm going to make a prediction..

IF the next character is a LoL character, then I think they will do the ARMS style "this fighter's from __ but tune in on blah to find out who" BEFORE the 15th.
Doing it during the direct and the giving us like half a minute to decide sounds plausible but at the same time a bit iffy to me.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of League of Legends, I love a lot of the nonhuman designs from that game like Kha’Zix and Nocturne but they all seem to be much less popular than the human characters. Are there any that are popular enough to stand a chance of getting chosen for Smash or is it basically guaranteed we get a human?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Speaking of League of Legends, I love a lot of the nonhuman designs from that game like Kha’Zix and Nocturne but they all seem to be much less popular than the human characters. Are there any that are popular enough to stand a chance of getting chosen for Smash or is it basically guaranteed we get a human?
Teemo?

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
I’d go with Deoxys, Kabutops, and Guzzlord. I’m not entirely sure how Guzzlord would work as a Smash character but it would definitely be interesting. I think Nihilego fused with Lusamine is an awesome idea and probably better than Guzzlord.

Kabutops is one of my favorite Pokémon ever and I even made a completely custom model for it back in Brawl as a mod over Wolf and Falco.

View attachment 317668
Okay, now that's pretty ****ing sick.
You should even come back to that and make a PSA/custom moveset for that too, now that Project+EX is out.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This is what it mostly boils down to and why it kind of frustrates me when people act like it's stupid to suggest that it'd be cool to see a new genre in Smash speaking in broad terms. A lot of the time people will kneejerk react to what sounds like a "quota" and dismiss it as not important when it fails to acknowledge that some people just play other kinds of games that have never been given that fair shake.

Which is why, like what was mentioned before, it frustrates me even more that people use the genre thing toward platformers of all genres. It really trivializes what I personally stand for when desiring more variety and a wider spread of game types because people just use it to be like, RPGs lame platformers cool. When personally I'm kind of tired of both of them getting precedent over every other kind of game. Although to be fair, those labels are incredibly vague.

Don't get me wrong either, I'm not trying to put you in particular on blast SNEKeater because I agree with what you said for the most part. I'm just using this as a springboard to vent further about the trivialization and misunderstanding of what I mean when I suggest that like, I want a puzzle character or a rhythm character or whatever. I have my preferences within that sphere but chances are I'd be happy to get not only the first actual character from a kind of game that I'm much more actively invested in but also a style of game that offers brand new gameplay opportunities untapped by any character we've seen thus far. Something more emblematic of my own gaming experiences while also providing a new voice among the roster.

So it's just lame that when I say something like "I'm tired of seeing one genre get all the love" most of the pushback I get is from... people who really like JRPGs or platformers or actively support characters from those genres. If the scenario was flipped I think everyone would be a lot more empathetic. But as I've said in the past, it's just on me for preferring weird ass niche games lmao.
Yeah I agree that Smash could do a bit better at showcasing more genre's in gaming than it currently does.

And seeing how some folks tend to trivialize the interest in some wanting to see more gaming genre's represented in Smash so much never quite sat well with me either, especially since some of these same folks tend to bring up often about how Smash is a "Celebration of Gaming" that Sakurai and Nintendo like to market it as well these days. You'd think you'd want to showcase the different and diverse aspects of gaming culture in the roster a little more in that case. Especially since some notable ones such as FPS, Puzzles and Rhythm games are still largely absent from the roster, barring a clone and an echo I suppose.. :ultdoc::ultdarksamus:

But that's just me, I guess I have no real horse in the race on how many JRPG and Platformer characters we get, and I understand why we do, but a little more variety wouldn't really hurt either imo...

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think one of the bigger wasted opportunities in Smash is that even if we can't diversify the kind of games fighters come from, something like stages should be a more open area for stuff like that. Why not have some Rhythm stages, a Panel de Pon level, areas with shoot em up inspired elements, or a backdrop set around a pinball setting or something.

I get that for third parties it make not be considered worth paying to utilize third party properties if it doesn't include characters, but even within Nintendo's franchises there's chances to do more with the varying kind of games to pull from for stages.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Teemo.

Sadly, as much as I love the more monstrous designs, they've been historically incredibly unpopular with the playerbase unless they're currently in the Meta. It seems weird, but it really does end up boiling down to "Why would I want to play an ugly monster when I play an absolute chad or a hot girl with booba?"

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I’d go with Deoxys, Kabutops, and Guzzlord. I’m not entirely sure how Guzzlord would work as a Smash character but it would definitely be interesting. I think Nihilego fused with Lusamine is an awesome idea and probably better than Guzzlord.

Kabutops is one of my favorite Pokémon ever and I even made a completely custom model for it back in Brawl as a mod over Wolf and Falco.

View attachment 317668
Mother. Of. God.

That model looks ****ing awesome!

Incineroar also did something that no other character in Smash could do, be a pro wrestler. And they made a fun moveset based on that idea.
The most important thing: THE GERMAN SUPLEX!!! 'roar's gonna take everyone to Suplex City!

While we're still on the topic of Pokemon: You know about the categories of Pokemon we have in the roster? You know, Starters, Legendaries, and Pikachu Expies (including Pikachu itself and its other evolutionary forms). Well, there are categories of Pokemon we still don't have yet: Mythicals, Pseudo-Legendaries (though I used to think Lucario counted as such due to that Lucario-and-Mew movie), Fossils, and Ultra Beasts.

With that said, what Pseudos, Mythicals, Fossils, and UBs would you like to see in Smash? I'd pick Zarude, Dragapult, and Dracozolt due to them repping Gen 8. As for Ultra Beast, I'd pick Nihilego fused with Lusamine (since that'd add another human to Pokemon's representation without resorting to a Pokemon Trainer 2).
For this list: Kubfu, Tapu Koko, Genesis, Kabutops, Dracovish, and Pheromosa if I had to choose

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Mother. Of. God.

That model looks ****ing awesome!

The most important thing: THE GERMAN SUPLEX!!! 'roar's gonna take everyone to Suplex City!

For this list: Kubfu, Tapu Koko, Genesis, Kabutops, Dracovish, and Pheromosa if I had to choose
Thanks, I had a lot of fun making it and other custom models back in the day. It’s funny you mention that about Incineroar because I named mine Suplex Kitty after Brock Lesnar lol.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Teemo.

Sadly, as much as I love the more monstrous designs, they've been historically incredibly unpopular with the playerbase unless they're currently in the Meta. It seems weird, but it really does end up boiling down to "Why would I want to play an ugly monster when I play an absolute chad or a hot girl with booba?"
I know nothing about League of Legends beyond the Ctrl+Alt+Del edit.

However, I know Teemo from Tails Gets Trolled and he's great in that, so I fully support his inclusion:teemo:.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I guess I’m going to have to fall back to Blizzard if I want a darker, nonhuman character. Diablo and Illidan would be awesome in Smash and would both really stand out from the rest of the cast. It feels like Blizzard’s nonhumans are more popular within their community than League’s. Other characters like Death (Darksiders) and Raziel (Soul Reaver) would be amazing too but they’re even less likely. I wonder if anyone here even remembers who Raziel is at this point.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You have a point here, but I think we should also note that Rayman, Crash and Spyro are basically the only feasible options in the eyes of most Smash fans. Like, it's not like there are not more platformers out there, but no one is expecting Yooka Layle to get in, for example, so support for said characters barely exists.

This crosser over with the fact that for multiple reasons, in the last years we have barely seen new platformers gaining traction. Most of the fans of the genre are folks that are behind series that aren't precisely recent. It doesn't help as well that most of video game development has shifted to different projects. Companies still make platformers but these projects are usually a low priority for them, and therefore, said projects get low budgets. The market beyond Nintendo has been changing and these games have kinda faded from the mainstream, unless you're Sonic/Crash/Rayman.

The most interesting platformers in recent times are probably from indie devs, and well, it doesn't seem like we will get an indie character in Smash anytime soon. (inb4 we get an indie fighter at E3)
Not to say, most of the biggest names in the genre are already in Smash. I'm convinced Crash will eventually make it to Smash, not so sure about Rayman to be honest.

In the other side, as others said, JRPGs have been gaining popularity again, after being kinda "despised" during the PS3-360 era by most of the media and the general public. Nekoo already explained how groundbreaking Persona 5 was. Souls games have basically created a new genre. Then you have multiple latest games from different JRPG series becoming the best selling games of their franchises, like Dragon Quest XI, Persona 5 or Kingdom Hearts 3.

The community talking more about JRPGs can be sort of explained, in my opinion, by that, and the fact that Ultimate as we all know has been adding characters no one expected before. Characters such as Joker or Terry opened the floodgates and a lot of series that were seen as impossible for multiple reasons, now are actually realizable in the eyes of most fans. And it's no surprise there are a lot of JRPG series, and I guess maybe JRPG fans are now more passionate than ever.
I agree with you, but then it makes even less sense to say that the fanbase has a bias for platformers when they've actually lost traction when it comes to discussions.

Teemo, pretty much.

For starters, nonhuman designs are the minority among Champions. You can notice 90% of the time, they're either one of three things: Yordles (Teemo's species), Void creatures aka basically aliens (like Kha'Zix) or some celestial entities, gods and demigods (like Aurelion Sol).

Now, some of those are more popular in the meta... but to the casual LoL player, it's more likely they'll stick with someone like Lux, Ahri, Jinx, Ezreal or Ashe.

Doesn't help that roles like mid and ADC - both extremely popular - have mostly humanoid Champions. Top, Jungle and Support are a little bit more spread out, but that kinda helps setting the tone.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
I guess I’m going to have to fall back to Blizzard if I want a darker, nonhuman character. Diablo and Illidan would be awesome in Smash and would both really stand out from the rest of the cast. It feels like Blizzard’s nonhumans are more popular within their community than League’s. Other characters like Death (Darksiders) and Raziel (Soul Reaver) would be amazing too but they’re even less likely. I wonder if anyone here even remembers who Raziel is at this point.
For the human/non-human thing, where would the Demi-Fiend fall? He's technically half and half, but depending on which ending you get, he can become completely human or completely demon (and is literally called the "new demon of darkness"). Although, he does basically just look like a human but with a spike and glowing tattoos.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Which enemy from a Nintendo game scared you most? And I won't say which ones are most prominent in the reply section.
screeeeeeeeee

For the human/non-human thing, where would the Demi-Fiend fall?
If I asked for a non-human, and they picked a character that looks just like a human, but technically isn't, I'd be pissed at them for trying to rules lawyer the situation.

You give me a monster or an animal or some kinda car or something goddamnit!

We have no Dragon Type Pokemon in Smash and Garchomp's just the right mon for that job
No more Pokemon. But if must Pokemon. Then yes Garchomp.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For the human/non-human thing, where would the Demi-Fiend fall? He's technically half and half, but depending on which ending you get, he can become completely human or completely demon (and is literally called the "new demon of darkness"). Although, he does basically just look like a human but with a spike and glowing tattoos.
I would count Demi-Fiend as human for the purposes of Smash. He’s pretty much in the same boat as Pyra and Mythra in that they aren’t technically human but they look just like humans. Not that I have any problems with human characters, I’d just like a bit more visual variety.

I’m not completely sure where I’d group characters like Ganondorf and Magus. They both look very similar to human characters but at the same time, they stand out enough to still be really cool and interesting. Another I’d probably group as nonhuman even though she technically is human is Sarah Kerrigan. She definitely looks cool and unique enough to stand out compared to other humans.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Ok, now I want a car in smash. I don't know how it would work, but I need this.
Well given that we've said there should be more characters from the company developing Ultimate...

Sakurai: Allow me to introduce to you our newest DLC character, its powered by Namco.

trailer plays

Sakurai: It's Ridge Racer.

beat

Sakurai: RIIIIIIDGE RACEEEERR

Points to the RR logo

Sakurai: Remember that one?

Ivander

Smash Legend
I would count Demi-Fiend as human for the purposes of Smash. He’s pretty much in the same boat as Pyra and Mythra in that they aren’t technically human but they look just like humans. Not that I have any problems with human characters, I’d just like a bit more visual variety.

I’m not completely sure where I’d group characters like Ganondorf and Magus. They both look very similar to human characters but at the same time, they stand out enough to still be really cool and interesting. Another I’d probably group as nonhuman even though she technically is human is Sarah Kerrigan. She definitely looks cool and unique enough to stand out compared to other humans.
Ganondorf and Kerrigan I would classify as human or somewhat cause that's what they started as than later got their new forms, but they still have their old forms. Like Ganondorf, despite becoming Ganon, still has his human/Gerudo form to transform into and aside from a couple like Link to the Past, the human form he changes to is the one he's most familiar with, which is the form in which he was born as.
Kerrigan, despite becoming a Zerg, is still mostly a corrupted Terran and as shown by Starcraft 2, when she gets purified, she is no different from what she was before getting corrupted.
I'm quite positive Magus is human and not non-human.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom