• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
XboxEra guy isn't fully reliable iirc and the "could be pushed again" is giving him a backdoor so I'd say nah to that tweet

I don't think said loophole exists buuuuut...

This is how Spider-Man wins
Spider-Man would be a pretty good choice. Villains are under-represented in this DLC, and this web-swinging menace would be an excellent way to fix that.

Last edited:

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Raymans big in Europe. Bayonettas inclusion specifically cited her popularity in Europe. He's a relatively big want in the US as well. I'm sure he's someone Sakurai has at the least considered to make playable.

However I think what soured Nintendo the most on Rayman was when Ubi delayed the launch of the game, which was supposed to be a wii u timed exclusive, to go multi-platform because the wii u's numbers were bad. I think Nintendo took that personally, and hasn't really revisited the character since.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well, back on the Character Exploration thread days ago, when we were talking about Sora, someone suggested that it's possible that video game interpretations of non-game characters (such as with Goofy Goob and Donald Duck) could work as a loophole in regards to the "no non-game characters" rule; we just need to wait for Sakurai to gives his opinion on that.
I'm gonna be honest

Video game interpretation or not, I'm sure if Disney just allowed Nintendo/Sakurai easy access to Marvel or Disney characters to be added into Smash, They would do it instantly, Video game Clause be damned.

Mario vs Mickey Mouse, or Mario vs Spider Man would be much bigger deal than something like Mario vs Sora, and that's not to put Sora down, but Mickey Mouse and Spider Man are on another league

I just think when it comes to characters from Non-Video game Origin, they tend to have more licensing rights tied to them, or at the least, it's harder to gain and maintain them for Video game appearances if they did not start as Video games.

That's also why Despite Goku being among my Most wanted characters along with Shadow, I know Goku is probably a lost cause, at least for 2 decades, because the Negotiations Nintendo/Sakurai would have to go through would be legendary. Nintendo/Sakurai already talked with Toriyama to get Dragon Quest in the game, but that's just the start for Dragon Ball

Pillow

Smash Lord
If you had to put money on, who do you honestly believe in your heart of hearts, will be revealed at E3.

You can choose give answers for CP10 or CP10 & CP11 if you think we are getting a double reveal.
Money on the line, my instinct tells me it's Crash Bandicoot + Chosen Undead as the last 2 but only because I'm a pessimistic guy. My heart tells me Master Chief and Hatsune Miku though.

Fair, I suppose.

Though I'll take M. Bison if we need another villain 😳
I'd like to see more villain boss fights in general. It's a shame that Wily isn't one.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Going along something I'd like to call "Pass Diversity" we've yet to have, essentially, a non-human character. (e.g. Animal character)
Maybe CP10 will break that. Maybe.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm gonna be honest

Video game interpretation or not, I'm sure if Disney just allowed Nintendo/Sakurai easy access to Marvel or Disney characters to be added into Smash, They would do it instantly, Video game Clause be damned.

Mario vs Mickey Mouse, or Mario vs Spider Man would be much bigger deal than something like Mario vs Sora, and that's not to put Sora down, but Mickey Mouse and Spider Man are on another league

I just think when it comes to characters from Non-Video game Origin, they tend to have more licensing rights tied to them, or at the least, it's harder to gain and maintain them for Video game appearances if they did not start as Video games.

That's also why Despite Goku being among my Most wanted characters along with Shadow, I know Goku is probably a lost cause, at least for 2 decades, because the Negotiations Nintendo/Sakurai would have to go through would be legendary. Nintendo/Sakurai already talked with Toriyama to get Dragon Quest in the game, but that's just the start for Dragon Ball
I mean, if they're going to add just any character to Smash just because they are easy to get and their series is big, we'd have Hello Kitty before Spider-Man or Mickey.

Sanrio already crossed over with Animal Crossing, just saying.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Spider-Man would be a pretty good choice. Villains are under-represented in this DLC, and the web-swinging menace would be an excellent way to fix that.
Making uncle Ben a war criminal and Peter Parker actively hate fast food workers to the point of bullying them in his Spider-Man costume was a weird choice on Raimi's part, but he is an artist and I cannot argue against his views.

I'd like to see more villain boss fights in general. It's a shame that Wily isn't one.
Metal Face should also have gotten a real boss fight. I would also love an Eternatus battle from Sword & Shield (loved the theme).
With how big Smash is, having only ten boss fights in Ultimate, and four of them not being OCs, hell only two of them being Nintendo characters, is really weird.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I look forward to how the Rayman scout will contextualize these posts when he cherrypicks the highlights for twitter.

👋

Raymans big in Europe. Bayonettas inclusion specifically cited her popularity in Europe. He's a relatively big want in the US as well. I'm sure he's someone Sakurai has at the least considered to make playable.

However I think what soured Nintendo the most on Rayman was when Ubi delayed the launch of the game, which was supposed to be a wii u timed exclusive, to go multi-platform because the wii u's numbers were bad. I think Nintendo took that personally, and hasn't really revisited the character since.
They chose Bayonetta before all that, and just cited her European popularity to retroactively justify an inclusion they thought would have performed better on the ballot. In reality I don't think Europe is any more than one facet of the amorphous blob known as "overseas" to the Smash team.

If anything, it seems like Rayman is a character Ubisoft has pushed for but Sakurai/Nintendo haven't accepted yet. Characters with lopsided popularity are going to have a tough go of it, by and large.

Spider-Man would be a pretty good choice. Villains are under-represented in this DLC, and the web-swinging menace would be an excellent way to fix that.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean, if they're going to add just any character to Smash just because they are easy to get and their series is big, we'd have Hello Kitty before Spider-Man or Mickey.

I'd unironically main Hello Kitty in Smash.

7NATOR

Smash Master

To this day, I still can't believe Hello Kitty is I believe the 2nd most lucrative I.P in the World, behind Pokemon. Also what's Sanrio?

What on earth could be THAT hype worthy...?
I mean between New Metroid, New Donkey Kong, Probably more news on Splatoon 3 and BOTW2, News on the New Nintendo Switch, New Smash character,, Maybe new Mario Kart, and all the other possible unknowns, It does seem like this E3 could be popping for Nintendo

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
As someone who has some interest in Cortez entering Smash, I am interested in something: What is it about Cortez that you love so much?
It's because he has this serious tone when he meets someone new but once he gets comfortable, he gets pretty goofy. He gets himself psyched up for another mission that makes him an exciting character but also makes him socially awkward around the companions he's with because he doesn't know how to properly interact with normal people. He's also best friends with himself because he travels through little wormholes that allow him to interact with himself. He's a protagonist with a very exploitable flaw but it makes him feel more human.

I don't know if this makes sense. I just like to type in words sometimes.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Natan: Nintendo Direct seems hype, I give it a solid 9/10 but cannot give any detail.

This is the summary.

What do you even want us to do with this information?

Why is there an article like this?
Comicbook.com is clickbait trash that regurgitates anything regardless of how credible it is or how little there is to it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If you had to put money on, who do you honestly believe in your heart of hearts, will be revealed at E3.

You can choose give answers for CP10 or CP10 & CP11 if you think we are getting a double reveal.
Double reveal.

Swordfighter character (Adol Christin, Chosen Undead, Dovahkiin, Euden, Gran/Djeeta, Nightmare, Yuri Lowell, etc.) and Master Chief.

SKX31

Smash Master
Hmm, what if they gave Dante low damage on normals, but fixed or low knockback for some moves? In theory, that would allow him to focus on combos even at high percents, no?

I've only played the beginning of DMC3, so I could be wrong, but the crux of combat is about juggling and comboing - even more than Bayonetta, where I kinda wanted to get Wicked Weaves or Torture Attacks as frequently as possible for more damage.
For the most part, yes. Although Dante does have access to Devil Trigger (Trigger-able super form, drains energy quickly but can be re-filled by attacks) his attacks are primarily of that kind. While Dante has some bigger attacks as well (his fist weapons for instance) they're usually really telegraphed, meaning that they're most often used on staggered foes or when the player knows the enemy won't guard.

The primary difference between Bayo's and Dante's respective combo games is that Bayo is a hell of a lot more airborne, and that shows in Smash: the ideal scenario for her is when she gets her opponent up there and as close to the blast zone as possible. And thus not only wail on them but also prime / condition them to her mixups or finishers (Smash attacks, B-Air, Witch Time).

Dante OTOH doesn't look to be as airborne. Sure, in the DMC games he can "footstool" enemies indefinetely, but that would 100 % not be a thing in Smash. Instead his air combos are more focused on bringing the enemy back down to the ground for a painful finisher. That would show in Smash as well I'd reckon, where Dante's combo game doesn't venture close to the blast zone nearly as often but instead primes opponents for tech chases and mixups galore. The Smash attacks would probably be also commital but relatively powerful finishers... which again feeds into the tech chase / mixup thing.

It's because he has this serious tone when he meets someone new but once he gets comfortable, he gets pretty goofy. He gets himself psyched up for another mission that makes him an exciting character but also makes him socially awkward around the companions he's with because he doesn't know how to properly interact with normal people. He's also best friends with himself because he travels through little wormholes that allow him to interact with himself. He's a protagonist with a very exploitable flaw but it makes him feel more human.

I don't know if this makes sense. I just like to type in words sometimes.
Case in point: The time he got tricked and Cortez's "DAMNIIIIIIIIIIIIT!" scream travelled through time out of sheer anger (okay, in reality it's due to comedic effect, but still).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To this day, I still can't believe Hello Kitty is I believe the 2nd most lucrative I.P in the World, behind Pokemon. Also what's Sanrio?

I mean between New Metroid, New Donkey Kong, Probably more news on Splatoon 3 and BOTW2, News on the New Nintendo Switch, New Smash character,, Maybe new Mario Kart, and all the other possible unknowns, It does seem like this E3 could be popping for Nintendo
I mean most of those are obvious guesses, could be something else up their sleeve

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I mean, a lot of newcomers are nice... But this looks like you just cut as many characters as possible for the sake of it.

Dark Matter and Gardevoir are cool but those people really want them over Meta Knight and Mewtwo? Or why some characters are directly replaced by less popular characters from their series?
That was kind of the point of it. Only the newcomers who were absolutely necessary returned, and Mewtwo/Meta Knight didn't make it (but only barely). Dark Matter represents a side of Kirby that has never been properly represented (and doesn't feel odd without Meta Knight, unlike Bandana Dee), and Gardevoir is one of the most popular Pokémon from a region that never got a character.

I also tried to add characters who are more popular in their series' fanbase. Chun Li, Alucard, Twintelle, and Lyn are all very popular characters in their series. The only true "downgrade" is Cloud to Terra, and I still tried to go with another popular Final Fantasy entry.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Commit arson on your house for calling me a boy and giving me a painful reminder that I'm French on my mother's side

Dude, people just wanted to make sure your data checked out and corrected you when you provided faulty data, nobody said a damn thing about Rayman sucking. I hoped you improved after "Terry was never on a Nintendo console" too.

Also lmao no need to get homophobic
I provided 6-7 links, he provided 1. Why team up with him?

He is the one that arbitrarily said Rayman was not popular in Japan and gave one link about the Switch sales for one Rayman game that was already outdated on Switch.

Why is it a double-standard that I have to PROVE myself and he doesn't? That is why this is bullying.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nah, Sakurai seems to have been adament in that one and only golden rule.
You MUST be from a video-game/series of Video games.

That's probably the only rule he'd never break knowing how big Gaming is to him from how you see him talk about smash, it's newcomers and games in general in his book and in the famitsu Columns.

Sometimes...having integrity and passion in your work goes beyond "big deal" and Sakurai has been the living proof of that through the years alongside the missed Iwata.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That was kind of the point of it. Only the newcomers who were absolutely necessary returned, and Mewtwo/Meta Knight didn't make it (but only barely). Dark Matter represents a side of Kirby that has never been properly represented (and doesn't feel odd without Meta Knight, unlike Bandana Dee), and Gardevoir is one of the most popular Pokémon from a region that never got a character.

I also tried to add characters who are more popular in their series' fanbase. Chun Li, Alucard, Twintelle, and Lyn are all very popular characters in their series. The only true "downgrade" is Cloud to Terra, and I still tried to go with another popular Final Fantasy entry.
Problem is that cutting popular characters and giving them less popular replacements is on the level of MVCI's bull**** and it's honestly justified

He is the one that arbitrarily said Rayman was not popular in Japan and gave one link about the Switch sales for one Rayman game that was already outdated on Switch.

Why is it a double-standard that I have to PROVE myself and he doesn't? That is why this is bullying.
Quantity of links sent doesn't matter over quality. There's no double standard, perfectchaos proved their claim with official data about how the games sold whereas you grabbed fanpolls and claimed them to be official Smash Ballot results. I can say Miriam's from the best selling indie game of all time and link how Ritual of the Night was the most successful kickstarter game back in the day, but if someone else proves that another game did better, I was wrong and my claims hold no water. You want to say their claim is outdated? Prove it, show evidence of Rayman selling well in Japan, then you'll be seen as right

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Natan: Nintendo Direct seems hype, I give it a solid 9/10 but cannot give any detail.

This is the summary.

What do you even want us to do with this information?

Why is there an article like this?
If Playstation's mascot Nathan Drake says he's hyped about the competition and that the E3 Direct is 9/10 it must mean Nintendo is going to show Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Half Life 3 and Master Chief in Smash or something like that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If Playstation's mascot Nathan Drake says he's hyped about the competition and that the E3 Direct is 9/10 it must mean Nintendo is going to show Breath of the Wild 2, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Half Life 3 and Master Chief in Smash or something like that.
No you idiot, it means Nintendo's gonna announce Super Mario PS5

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Credibility isn't inherently measured in the amount of links posted it's in what the links posted prove, and it only took one post to demonstrate Rayman's unenviable situation in Japan. If you have counterpoints, they're going to need to challenge that, not link to western stuff or stuff that actually supports the point with which you disagree.

What's pretty crazy is everything other than HL3 does have a chance at showing up in the presentation.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Problem is that cutting popular characters and giving them less popular replacements is on the level of MVCI's bull**** and it's honestly justified

Quantity of links sent doesn't matter over quality. There's no double standard, perfectchaos proved their claim with official data about how the games sold whereas you grabbed fanpolls and claimed them to be official Smash Ballot results. I can say Miriam's from the best selling indie game of all time and link how Ritual of the Night was the most successful kickstarter game back in the day, but if someone else proves that another game did better, I was wrong and my claims hold no water. You want to say their claim is outdated? Prove it, show evidence of Rayman selling well in Japan, then you'll be seen as right
How did his link prove anything? I am seriously trying to understand that.

The Smash Polls were Exit polls regularly cited before Smash. I gave you Rayman's all-time sales which is higher than many BIG NAME franchises. I gave you links that Rayman (although number of sales wasn't great) was second in Japan for several weeks on Wii U (Not Switch). I gave you information about Rayman's sales on Playstation (a console in Japan).

That is all DATA. Not circumstance. This is why I don't like posting on here. Sorry that I get so angry at people. Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura is an example of a bully. I don't know what her issue is with me. I even tried to get along with him and have agreed with him on points but she challenges me on everything and likes any negative post directed at me.

Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , seriously what is your deal with me? I apologize if I did something wrong to you.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

And this is the part where Touhou

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I agree with Crash, but from where I am it seems like Master Chief's the second so far. Then it's... Not sure who the third is, actually, at least not around here. Sora doesn't get brought up much around here... And this site is the one example I have, so I can't say about anywhere else...

That being said, a lot of it comes from likelihood as well. Smash 6 is going to put the likes of Isaac, Geno, and Waluigi unambiguously back on the table, and who knows what the base game's approach on megaton third-parties will be. I'd imagine the tables will shift when the next game swings around.
I’m reluctant to say Chief is up there rn because this huge amount of support for him is pretty recent. It definitely makes me happy though lol

Sora’s still really popular on YT, Twitter & Facebook. He’s just died down here because everyone & their mother is saying Nintendo tried but failed to get him. I think they’ll try again in the future though.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
How did his link prove anything? I am seriously trying to understand that.

The Smash Polls were Exit polls regularly cited before Smash. I gave you Rayman's all-time sales which is higher than many BIG NAME franchises. I gave you links that Rayman (although number of sales wasn't great) was second in Japan for several weeks on Wii U (Not Switch). I gave you information about Rayman's sales on Playstation (a console in Japan).

That is all DATA. Not circumstance. This is why I don't like posting on here. Sorry that I get so angry at people. Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura is an example of a bully. I don't know what her issue is with me. I even tried to get along with him and have agreed with him on points but she challenges me on everything and likes any negative post directed at me.

Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura , seriously what is your deal with me? I apologize if I did something wrong to you.
Perfectchaos proved that Rayman Legends flopped miserably in Japan as launch sales are perhaps the most important sales period for games. This is a fact unless you can provide evidence of Legends selling well after launch week in Japan. This was because you claimed Rayman was actually much more popular in Japan than most people would think. You gave faulty info by claiming the fanpolls were the Ballot results. People weren't arguing against Rayman, just the specific points you used that were faulty

Tagging someone directly to ****talk them is considered bullying, so you're the only bully here

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The real answer is none of them, because even Steve didn't.
Even Sakurai tweeted that, effectively, after Steve's reveal, Twitter did go down.
Only other time it happened, if I recall, was after Michael Jackson's death.
Meaning that Michael Jackson getting in Smash would definitely destroy Twitter once and for all.

Sorry that I get so angry at people. Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura is an example of a bully. I don't know what her issue is with me. I even tried to get along with him and have agreed with him on points but she challenges me on everything and likes any negative post directed at me.

You cannot say that you're sorry to get angry at people, call someone a bully, go on a rant about them and immediately apologize to them. Just go in private message.

To this day, I still can't believe Hello Kitty is I believe the 2nd most lucrative I.P in the World, behind Pokemon.
Maybe Hello Kitty has a better lore than we actually know.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I’m reluctant to say Chief is up there rn because this huge amount of support for him is pretty recent. It definitely makes me happy though lol

Sora’s still really popular on YT, Twitter & Facebook. He’s just died down here because everyone & their mother is saying Nintendo tried but failed to get him. I think they’ll try again in the future though.
I feel this pretty hard. I'm also a big Chief supporter, but I just can't bring myself to start believing anyone I want will get in and set myself up for disappointment in the future.

I will say, I do legitimately think there's only a handful of viable contenders left for the last 2 spots and I do consider Chief to be one of them.

Maybe Hello Kitty has a better lore than we actually know.
Even when I was just a young lad I always adored the grumpy penguin guy. I feel we just connected, y'know?

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace

I think the characters I see speculated the most are 100% Crash and Lloyd Irving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom