• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If we're talking roster cuts, I'd rather Lucas stay in (surprise, surprise).

Similar to Luigi and Mario, Lucas plays nothing like Ness despite sharing visually similar moves. They're two completely different characters. The only thing you can claim works similarly is their side smash and recovery, and even those work a lot differently.

On top of that, I'd like to think Lucas has evolved to become a Smash staple. Mother 3 may never come to the West, and that's proven to not be a factor against him because he came back in Smash 4. And with the Mother series finished and likely never receiving a new entry, why take away the Smash content we have that keeps the series alive?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
When it comes down to, say, Crash vs Rayman, honestly, I think Crash would be a better move business-wise.

Dude's got a bigger Japanese presence than Japan, is currently more relevant outside of Smash.
Also, remember that one "icons" commercial Nintendo uploaded on YT or something, featuring Crash and Spyro in that video out of nowhere?

Also, please remember that Nintendo NEVER shared the official ballot results with the public.
Fan polls aren't accurate enough to go off of 100%.
To be fair it's not like there was a recent Rayman game to promote in that trailer, right? Just a Wii U port. I don't remember the trailer specifically but I'm pretty sure that all the others on there had brand spanking new games on there

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
1. If you're gonna cite results and such it's on you to bring them to the table in the first place instead of telling people to find it themselves.
2. A fan poll isn't fully representative of the actual ballot, 500 out of a million (lowballing the actual ballot's responses) is less than 0.1% so using the results for a significantly larger sample size would be erroneous.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It didn't chart. The list is right there.
Looked it up, it sold more on PS3 than Wii U and Switch combined. As stated, it is more of a Sony Console. Also Legends did not perform near as well as the Rayman series on original Playstation which did well, even in Japan. Just because Rayman Legends didn't sell good on the Switch in Japan doesn't mean the character isn't known.

You are picking a limited source of data to prove your point.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If you had to put money on, who do you honestly believe in your heart of hearts, will be revealed at E3.

You can choose give answers for CP10 or CP10 & CP11 if you think we are getting a double reveal.
My heart says Crash & Sora (I don't care how many people try to convince me otherwise), but my brain wants to actually be there for the reveal before jumping the gun.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If you had to put money on, who do you honestly believe in your heart of hearts, will be revealed at E3.

You can choose give answers for CP10 or CP10 & CP11 if you think we are getting a double reveal.
That character I keep whining about people not looking at qualities beyond his poorly made AT

volbound1700

Smash Master
Flaming/Harassment
I am done... I have posted links and you guys provide very little data and then team up on me.

Rayman sucks. Happy?

Man you guys are jerks. Done posting in here. This is classic bullying tactics.

Someone mentioned me not providing data which I did, the other guy arbitrary shows one link to Rayman Legends sells in week one on the Switch (one console and one game) to point out he is right and then all his butt-buddies take up for him and team up on me. Done.

Last post. Good bye.

Staarih

Smash Master
Regarding Rayman: just type in Rayman here and you'll get Japanese numbers. Best selling one in Japan is Raving Rabbids for Wii (14k units) and worst selling is Legends for Wii U (3k units). It's missing the Switch version but the latest number for that is like 5k.

So yeah, Rayman doesn't light the charts on fire in Japan but I feel like the western sales make up for it. Though I don't think sales numbers are a big thing anyway. I find it cool of Nintendo to at least find it worth an effort to publish the Wii U game in Japan and we do have Rayman in some capacity in Smash, so he's not a total nobody. Honestly, I'd kinda like to see him playable in Smash with all his... limblessness.

I have this weird hunch about Crash.
But honestly, I'd like it to be someone totally out of the blue.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Going with my gut, Crash Bandicoot. Between Ridley at E3 2018 and Banjo-Kazooie at E3 2019, I'm guessing that the character will be pretty big from the perspective of a western/North American audience, and I figure that we'll only get one character because they might not want to reveal all of the remaining characters right away. (the most I could see us getting is a teaser without gameplay, like the initial reveals for Joker and Terry)

Master Chief seems pretty likely for similar reasons, but I'm not sure if they'd double down on Microsoft in the same Fighters Pass.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Looked it up, it sold more on PS3 than Wii U and Switch combined.
You're moving goal posts. Stop it. I'm not talking about world wide sales and you should know that and have explained it to you already. Rayman Legends on PS3 didn't chart, which means it sold under 1.5k.

You are picking a limited source of data to prove your point.
I'm not sure how a list of the top 50 games sold in Japan the week of Rayman Legends release is a limited source of data.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What are you gonna do once I bring some cheese and frogs on a plate, big boy?
Commit arson on your house for calling me a boy and giving me a painful reminder that I'm French on my mother's side
I am done... I have posted links and you guys provide very little data and then team up on me.

Rayman sucks. Happy?

Someone mentioned me not providing data which I did, the other guy arbitrary shows one link to Rayman Legends sells in week one on the Switch (one console and one game) to point out he is right and then all his butt-buddies take up for him and team up on me. Done.

Last post. Good bye.
Dude, people just wanted to make sure your data checked out and corrected you when you provided faulty data, nobody said a damn thing about Rayman sucking. I hoped you improved after "Terry was never on a Nintendo console" too.

Also lmao no need to get homophobic

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It's only bullying because you're not arguing your point very well and relying on fallicies.

You posted a bunch of fan polls, which are largely useless as Sakurai's own statements contradict what the fans have gathered. I posted Something that comes from official and reliable Japanese sources.

Technomage

Smash Champion
OK about Sora..
I would like KH-designed Disney characters to come with him (like FS cameos) haha, but the odds of that happening.....
Well, back on the Character Exploration thread days ago, when we were talking about Sora, someone suggested that it's possible that video game interpretations of non-game characters (such as with Goofy Goob and Donald Duck) could work as a loophole in regards to the "no non-game characters" rule; we just need to wait for Sakurai to gives his opinion on that.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
You're moving goal posts. Stop it. I'm not talking about world wide sales and you should know that and have explained it to you already. Rayman Legends on PS3 didn't chart, which means it sold under 1.5k.

I'm not sure how a list of the top 50 games sold in Japan the week of Rayman Legends release is a limited source of data.
I'm not sure how reliable the sales of that one game are for determining the performance of a series as a whole, considering that it's a Wii U exclusive (it stayed that way in Japan) during a time where the Wii U wasn't exactly doing great. (though it's still the second-highest Wii U game on the list; the only other one on there is Wind Waker HD) That seems like pointing to Wind Waker HD's low placement on that list and saying that it's proof that Zelda isn't popular in Japan.

Regardless, considering that Rayman made it into the past two Smash games in some form (Smash Wii U and Ultimate), I don't think "the series isn't popular in Japan" works well as a justification/excuse, since if that was something preventing the character from being included, then you'd think that they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of negotiating with a third party company in order to include him multiple times. (plus, that hasn't stopped them from including plenty of characters - Little Mac and the Metroid cast come to mind, and No More Heroes was so unpopular in Japan that nobody showed up to the game's launch, and yet it got content in Smash)

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Also, regarding the Fighting Game genre, I think it's well represented AS A WHOLE if you forget the playable reps for the genre (:ultryu::ultken::ult_terry:) for a second.

We have classic and a bit newer SF content, a myriad of Fatal Fury and KOF content, and some Samurai Showdown stuff. Don't forget the Virtual Fighter content!

While Scorpion and Sub-Zero would be my pipe dreams (and I think they have a better shot than many think), Sol Badguy could do some good "repping" and bring along a lot fo ArcSys stuff; GG, Blazblue, etc.

Sol and Scorpion gang, wya?
p.s. Chun-Li would be nice, but I DON'T think she's CP material. At most, standalone fighter. She'd be so cool tho, won't lie.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Yet another, "the Switch Pro is totally going to be revealed soon!" from Insiders. This time either just a general announcement or a mini direct on Thursday.

Guessing game again on Thursday! :4pacman:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Commit arson on your house for calling me a boy and giving me a painful reminder that I'm French on my mother's side
I'm sorry that not only are you partially French, you also are a woman. Double burden on you. :083:

Rayman sucks. Happy?

Last post. Good bye.
You really shouldn't take it personally. There are always people who are going to agree with X instead of Y. It's OK to stand by your opinion and your view, even if it's challenged every time; also it's just Smashboards so it's not a big deal. In two hours we will all have forgotten what we've been talking about.
There's no reason to be upset.

Yet another, "the Switch Pro is totally going to be revealed soon!" from Insiders. This time either just a general announcement or a mini direct on Thursday.

We are getting Mother 3 before the Switch Pro. Who is willing to take the bet?

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Who dis?

Wanna know if they got the sauce or are just random funny Twitter person. :nifty:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

1622487511987.png

search your feelings, you know it to be true :secretkpop:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Rayman sucks. Happy?

Last post. Good bye.
"This is classic bullying tactics". Proceeds to be homophobic

They weren't lying, gamers ARE the most opressed group.

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace

I’m replying to my own post because I just realized I didn’t put my picks.

CP10: Sora. I just feel it in my heart and in my soul that it’s him. Me wanting him in aside, I truly feel a Sora reveal would break the internet. Both on an eastern and western marketing standpoint. I know it’s most likely me reading into wishful thinking, but God I just feel it.

I think we are only getting one reveal though. Don’t want to throw all your eggs in one basket too soon.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
p.s. Chun-Li would be nice, but I DON'T think she's CP material. At most, standalone fighter. She'd be so cool tho, won't lie.
I mean, I don't really believe in Chun-Li's odds much anymore but Street Fighter content is almost exclusively SFII oriented. There's plenty of opportunity for Chun-Li to come with new content for her series from games that are largely untapped within SF's current somewhat one-note representation. So I don't think they would struggle much at all to give her a Challenger Pack, nor should she come without any additional SF content since that doesn't solve the existing issue (plus she could bring a great street market stage).

I agree though, the treatment of fighting games in Smash has been pretty nice as of Ultimate. You may as well throw Min Min in there too, as a representative for Nintendo's very own modern 3D fighter. As far as I'm concerned though, we're just getting started and there's far more potential to explore.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
XboxEra guy isn't fully reliable iirc and the "could be pushed again" is giving him a backdoor so I'd say nah to that tweet

Well, back on the Character Exploration thread days ago, when we were talking about Sora, someone suggested that it's possible that video game interpretations of non-game characters (such as with Goofy Goob and Donanld Duck) could work as a loophole in regards to the "no non-game characters" rule; we just need to wait for Sakurai to gives his opinion on that.
I don't think said loophole exists buuuuut...

This is how Spider-Man wins

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

My mind says Master Chief/Crash Bandicoot/Sora/1st party/Somebody else

But my heart says Sgt. Cortez because of TimeSplitters being brought up in 2018 when the Fighter Pass was supposedly in progress.

My mind says that it's just a coincidence for the Free Radical team to reform and start developing a new TimeSplitters game.

But my heart says it must lead to Cortez in Smash Bros as well.

My mind says "Bro... you're pretty dumb."

But my heart says "You lookin pretty good though."

Then they both go on a romantic night out and they both agree to disagree.

Technomage

Smash Champion
My mind says Master Chief/Crash Bandicoot/Sora/1st party/Somebody else

But my heart says Sgt. Cortez because of TimeSplitters being brought up in 2018 when the Fighter Pass was supposedly in progress.

My mind says that it's just a coincidence for the Free Radical team to reform and start developing a new TimeSplitters game.

But my heart says it must lead to Cortez in Smash Bros as well.

My mind says "Bro... you're pretty dumb."

But my heart says "You lookin pretty good though."

Then they both go on a romantic night out and they both agree to disagree.
As someone who has some interest in Cortez entering Smash, I am interested in something: What is it about Cortez that you love so much?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I mean, I don't really believe in Chun-Li's odds much anymore but Street Fighter content is almost exclusively SFII oriented. There's plenty of opportunity for Chun-Li to come with new content for her series from games that are largely untapped within SF's current somewhat one-note representation. So I don't think they would struggle much at all to give her a Challenger Pack, nor should she come without any additional SF content since that doesn't solve the existing issue (plus she could bring a great street market stage).

I agree though, the treatment of fighting games in Smash has been pretty nice as of Ultimate. You may as well throw Min Min in there too, as a representative for Nintendo's very own modern 3D fighter. As far as I'm concerned though, we're just getting started and there's far more potential to explore.
Fair, I suppose.

Though I'll take M. Bison if we need another villain 😳

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how reliable the sales of that one game are for determining the performance of a series as a whole, considering that it's a Wii U exclusive (it stayed that way in Japan) during a time where the Wii U wasn't exactly doing great. (though it's still the second-highest Wii U game on the list; the only other one on there is Wind Waker HD)

Regardless, considering that Rayman made it into the past two Smash games in some form (Smash Wii U and Ultimate), I don't think "the series isn't popular in Japan" works well as a justification/excuse, since if that was the case, then you'd think that they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of negotiating with a third party company in order to include him multiple times. (plus, that hasn't stopped them from including plenty of characters - Little Mac and the Metroid cast come to mind)
Unfortunately, Sales from the early 2000's are hard to come by in Japan. I do not know how the series has historically performed there prior to Legends. But I do not think you can use the Wii U as an excuse, I also posted the Sales for the Switch version and it did even worse.

As for "It got content", It seems more like what Happened with Shantae, Ubisoft gave Nintendo Rayman **** to use how they pleased and so they did so. It's also telling that your main examples in favor of Rayman are Nintendo characters which I do think have far different standards set upon them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom