• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’d say we already have the successors with Crash & Sora. The third might be weird this time with Doom Slayer in the West & Arle in Japan.
I agree with Crash, but from where I am it seems like Master Chief's the second so far. Then it's... Not sure who the third is, actually, at least not around here. Sora doesn't get brought up much around here... And this site is the one example I have, so I can't say about anywhere else...

That being said, a lot of it comes from likelihood as well. Smash 6 is going to put the likes of Isaac, Geno, and Waluigi unambiguously back on the table, and who knows what the base game's approach on megaton third-parties will be. I'd imagine the tables will shift when the next game swings around.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
See that's the issue, trying to convince people that characters that aren't first parties from the past six months can still join the battle. We still don't want to believe Nintendo characters could get in for any other merits, even when ARMS proved that first-parties older than that could join the battle as DLC, the goalposts were moved so that we could still think all first-party DLC was 1000% like Corrin.
To be fair I believe Corrin was deliberately chosen as someone from a more recent game. Call it advertisement or abhor the notion of calling it that, but that’s the way it is. I believe that being at the tail-end of DLC had a good hand in that so they could decide a bit later in case any new big games popped up, which could be replicated with CP11 now that it’s revealed a year and a half later than the last pass-closer. It‘s a feasible scenario but it does hinge on the first party being a bit of an ad.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I agree with Crash, but from where I am it seems like Master Chief's the third so far. Then it's... Not sure who the third is, actually, at least not around here. Sora doesn't get brought up much around here... And this site is the one example I have, so I can't say about anywhere else...

That being said, a lot of it comes from likelihood as well. Smash 6 is going to put the likes of Isaac, Geno, and Waluigi unambiguously back on the table, and who knows what the base game's approach on megaton third-parties will be. I'd imagine the tables will shift when the next game swings around.
Geno seems to be more of a Square-Enix issue than a Nintendo hold-up based on feedback from rumors. Square-Enix doesn't want to include Geno because they have no intention to revisit the Franchise. They fear that including him in Smash will put pressure to create a new Mario RPG.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Geno seems to be more of a Square-Enix issue than a Nintendo hold-up based on feedback from rumors. Square-Enix doesn't want to include Geno because they have no intention to revisit the Franchise. They fear that including him in Smash will put pressure to create a new Mario RPG.
I was mainly using him as an example of popular characters who were deconfirmed, implicitly or explicitly. Next game will have a period of time before a Mii or whatever deconfirms him, if at all, so people would be able to discuss him a bit more and his support will shoot up because he seems possible again.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I’m not sure how E3 factors into the hype factor of our last characters considering the fact that even if characters were chosen and arranged with reveal time in mind, Min Min and overall COVID-shenanigans probably messed up the timing. They can’t save the best for E3 because these are just...the last two characters.
Considering Sakurai had gone on record saying development remained more or less on track, it's not hard to imagine they may have anticipated one of the last remaining characters could end up at E3. I don't think the timing for say, Sephiroth at TGAs and then Pythra at a normal Nintendo Direct are particularly a coincidence. They probably plot this stuff out roughly beforehand, and even if they don't... we already know they develop like three characters at a time already, so it might be a bit more flexible than we know.

But yes, if we simply don't have two more "hype" picks left we'll just get whoever remains.

See that's the issue, trying to convince people that characters that aren't first parties from the past six months can still join the battle. We still don't want to believe Nintendo characters could get in for any other merits, even when ARMS proved that first-parties older than that could join the battle as DLC, the goalposts were moved so that we could still think all first-party DLC was 1000% like Corrin.
Okay, so who would it be? Who is the character you believe could get in on additional merit right now? Everyone just loves to speak in abstract terms and say like, "a Nintendo character" without elaborating or thinking hard about where we're at with Nintendo characters and where to go from here. That's why I'm not convinced.

ARMS isn't exactly an "older" first party, it's a new IP on the Switch. Xenoblade 2 is also a game released in the last five years on the Switch. I'm not suggesting these characters are shill picks, and I think they're actually great worthwhile additions. But they were also the two most obvious additions to modernize the roster in line with the Switch's output - from Sakurai's mouth, even. Otherwise reasonable suggestions like Astral Chain or Ring Fit have been spirited and it makes their case a lot harder to sell. And beyond this, the precedent is not in favor of Nintendo characters who don't at least correlate with a title from the current generation (ie Corrin and Byleth).

I mean, if we wanna talk precedents and put stock in arbitrary stuff like ending on an underwhelming character, I think it's equally reasonable to acknowledge Nintendo's trend of picking decidedly newer characters from their own pool.

I should also clarify, since you said we don't want to believe it, I WANT to believe Nintendo characters can get in on merits beyond marketability on current gen. More than anything, really. My literal most wanted character is anyone from Rhythm Heaven. There are plenty of retro picks I still want to see, new IPs I want represented, supporting characters from a variety of mainstay first party franchises. But there's just nothing there for me to believe these characters have a shot right now.

Also speaking of Arle, Trails of Azure has a Puyo Puyo minigame which I've sunk about half an hour into today and I must say, I'm kinda hooked now

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
We are living in a world where Bandana Dee is a niche pick that’s deemed unlikely. Would be pretty fun if he blindsided us at E3 and then we’ll all be like ah yes of course a popular character was gonna get in.
Or Impa. As stated, Legend of Zelda seems to make the most sense as a Franchise to add a character.

I would be happy with Bandana Dee (or about any Kirby rep at this point). My #1 Kirby pick would be Prince Fluff mostly due to the creative move-set that could come from the Epic Yard Game (he could also have a Kirby Epic Yarn alt skin).

I am surprised that DLC Pack #2 was not more of a slew of NEW third-party reps. Steve is the only new franchise that we got. The reason being, I thought the creation of the second DLC pack was brought about due to demand from third-parties wanting to put there characters in Smash. Seems like Smash would be great advertising for your IP. I am surprised there isn't more of an aggressive push to get characters in the game from other companies. (There might be and Nintendo maybe saying no).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Who is the character you believe could get in on additional merit right now
I mean, isn't it obvious when I mention how there's plenty of GS content NOT in the game to warrant it being the subject of a challenger pack? They clearly got enough ballot demand from him if they at least (shoddily) brought back his AT.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I mean, isn't it obvious when I mention how there's plenty of GS content NOT in the game to warrant it being the subject of a challenger pack? They clearly got enough ballot demand from him if they at least (shoddily) brought back his AT.
Okay well, I'm not gonna hound on you for it but I think it should be pretty obvious that the reason people aren't anticipating this character isn't because "Nintendo characters can't get in on their own merits", it's because he has a pre-established role in the game.

By default, that takes a lot more "convincing" than you're giving credit for, because it's still something that has yet to be properly challenged. And I understand your disappointment but they literally remade the AT from the ground up, which makes it an even harder sell.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
it's because he has a pre-established role in the game.
Well of course, that's why I got to focus on the content he has that's NOT in the game. A stage, music that wasn't in Ultimate already, a fighter for his series, actually expanding the representation of what Psynergy is beyond summoning giant hands.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Okay well, I'm not gonna hound on you for it but I think it should be pretty obvious that the reason people aren't anticipating this character isn't because "Nintendo characters can't get in on their own merits", it's because he has a pre-established role in the game.

By default, that takes a lot more "convincing" than you're giving credit for, because it's still something that has yet to be properly challenged.
PREACH.

God, I still don't understand why people still want AT's to be promoted in the same game. Spirits? Totally fine. It's better to create a whole new model for a character who used to be a PNG than to try to Frankenstein a model that was already animated for an estabished role.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I don't buy into budget theory at all, as long as the potential profits aren't threatened by the actual cost of rights (like I could theoretically see with Sora if Disney wanted to be a stingy jerk.)

Idk about you guys, but Id like to think that the dlc attach rate to game sales is CRAZY high. I know we're inside a bubble here, but even casual fans are in on it in a way I don't see for other Nintendo series (example: Pokémon)

Given that, I'd also assume that a majority of dlc characters are sold in the pass. Meaning after the first big character in the pass, the rest that follow are probably not going to come anywhere near as close as generating the same level of sales.

Just from a strictly business perspective, it doesn't make sense to assume the last two characters must be lackluster.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
God, I still don't understand why people still want AT's to be promoted in the same game. Spirits? Totally fine. It's better to create a whole new model for a character who used to be a PNG than to try to Frankenstein a model that was already animated for an estabished role.
I would have no problem with and would even invite the idea of Isaac being promoted from an AT role, so I don't think we're exactly on the same page. I just think it has a very slim chance of actually happening.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
PREACH.

Sheen, this is the 7th week in a row you've said Assist Trophies can't be promoted in class.

1622483178253.png

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I think the best option for the next game, assuming that a lot of characters are cut no matter what, is to add as many newcomers as possible to make up for it. Here's a roster I made.
50 characters, and almost half of them are newcomers. There are some tough cuts, but the large number of newcomers should make up for it.
Me trying my hardest not to rip on your character choices because I know that it's just an example of introducing more newcomers but I can't help but call out that some of them I don't see Nintendo picking because they are niche but also reminding myself the irony that two of my most wanted characters are niche.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but they literally remade the AT from the ground up
And they did so in a rather shoddy manner. Isaac's AT is unoptimized like they already had a high-poly model and just downscaled it, instead of making models deliberately designed to be lowpoly like most ATs, and Move/Pound/Lift for whatever reason call for different hand models despite looking exactly the same, alongside not showing what Psynergy truly is.
Just from a strictly business perspective, it doesn't make sense to assume the last two characters must be lackluster
It DOES make sense, because you already bought the pass, you can't turn the 30 you gave Nintendo into 60 just because they added Master Chief.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We are living in a world where Bandana Dee is a niche pick that’s deemed unlikely. Would be pretty fun if he blindsided us at E3 and then we’ll all be like ah yes of course a popular character was gonna get in.
I mean, when has Bandana Dee been deemed as a niche pick? The fanbase has remained strong with the biggest pushback I've seen being at how dull his moveset would be, not because of a lack of a gimmick mind you but in terms of sheer simplicity. It's like why Min Min is so unpopular and why many people wouldn't have been upset had Alucard gotten in over the Belmonts
Ngl I somehow mixed you and 3BitSaurus up which is why I thought to use Arle as a comparison. Pretty weird considering one haa a ****ing Arle avi and the other doesn't
I would have no problem with and would even invite the idea of Isaac being promoted from an AT role, so I don't think we're exactly on the same page. I just think it has a very slim chance of actually happening.
Honestly I'm pretty sure that besides Nelson and Perkilator, everyone agrees on that front. "Would be cool, just don't see it happening." I remember when Zero got brought up a month ago or so and everyone went "yeah he'd be cool" only to get told that people hate the idea of an AT promotion because Isaac isn't universally considered likely for the first time in Smash speculation the very next day

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Me trying my hardest not to rip on your character choices because I know that it's just an example of introducing more newcomers but I can't help but call out that some of them I don't see Nintendo picking because they are niche but also reminding myself the irony that two of my most wanted characters are niche.

This is how I feel when the Astral Chain MC is A: Called Akira when that's actually their twin and B: Has a background from an in-game screenshot instead of being transparent like everyone else on the roster, causing their image to stick out like a sore thumb

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Or Impa. As stated, Legend of Zelda seems to make the most sense as a Franchise to add a character.

I would be happy with Bandana Dee (or about any Kirby rep at this point). My #1 Kirby pick would be Prince Fluff mostly due to the creative move-set that could come from the Epic Yard Game (he could also have a Kirby Epic Yarn alt skin).
Impa‘s momentum crashed and burned when the seemingly perfect design got spirited with AoC and we’re now back in the phase of a composite Impa. Not that I’m against that, she’d be great regardless but we were pretty close to a frontrunner-ish Impa with AoC.

I don’t think it’s the lack of focus on first parties that hinders Isaac’s popularity and I don’t really understand the self-proclaimed dark horse attitude when Isaac was for all intents and purposes a decent frontrunner before The Accident.

I mean, when has Bandana Dee been deemed as a niche pick? The fanbase has remained strong with the biggest pushback I've seen being at how dull his moveset would be, not because of a lack of a gimmick mind you but in terms of sheer simplicity. It's like why Min Min is so unpopular and why many people wouldn't have been upset had Alucard gotten in over the Belmonts

Ngl I somehow mixed you and 3BitSaurus up which is why I thought to use Arle as a comparison. Pretty weird considering one haa a ****ing Arle avi and the other doesn't

Honestly I'm pretty sure that besides Nelson and Perkilator, everyone agrees on that front. "Would be cool, just don't see it happening." I remember when Zero got brought up a month ago or so and everyone went "yeah he'd be cool" only to get told that people hate the idea of an AT promotion because Isaac isn't universally considered likely for the first time in Smash speculation the very next day
True, although Bandana Dee does fall under the umbrella of “would be a front runner if the focus would be placed on first parties that aren’t Picked for Recency”, which is the pattern Nelson was describing.

kylexv

Smash Master
For the inevitable next Smash game (which will be a long time from now), I'd want a roster that evokes the same kind of aura as Brawl's roster. Everyone in that game felt like they should be there to some degree. Of course, I plan on adding some newcomers to freshen things up (a mix of fan-favorite picks and some unconventional ones), but I feel like Brawl's roster would be a good base to start things on:

Returning:
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Luigi
  10. Ness
  11. Captain Falcon
  12. Jigglypuff
  13. Peach
  14. Bowser
  15. Zelda/Sheik
  16. Falco
  17. Marth
  18. Ganondorf
  19. Mewtwo
  20. Mr. Game and Watch
  21. Meta Knight
  22. Pit
  23. Wario
  24. Ike
  25. Charizard
  26. Diddy Kong
  27. Sonic
  28. King Dedede
  29. Olimar
  30. Lucario
  31. R.O.B.
  32. Villager
  33. Mega Man
  34. Little Mac
  35. Pac-Man
  36. Robin
  37. Shulk
  38. Inkling
  39. Ridley
  40. Simon
  41. King K. Rool
  42. Byleth
  43. Min Min
New:
  1. Waluigi
  2. Skull Kid
  3. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  4. Isaac
  5. Retro Character (Balloon Fighter, Takamaru, or Donkey Kong Jr. come to mind)
  6. Ryu Hayabusa
  7. Rayman
  1. Dark Samus
  2. Daisy
  3. Ice Climbers
  4. Dr. Mario
  5. Pichu
  6. Lucina
  7. Young Link
  8. Roy
  9. Chrom
  10. Dark Pit
  11. Zero Suit Samus
  12. Snake
  13. Squirtle
  14. Ivysaur
  15. Lucas
  16. Toon Link
  17. Wolf
  18. Wii Fit Trainer
  19. Rosalina and Luma
  20. Greninja
  21. Mii Brawler
  22. Mii Swordfighter
  23. Mii Gunner
  24. Palutena
  25. Bowser Jr.
  26. Duck Hunt
  27. Ryu
  28. Ken
  29. Cloud
  30. Corrin
  31. Bayonetta
  32. Richter
  33. Isabelle
  34. Incineroar
  35. Piranha Plant
  36. Joker
  37. Hero
  38. Banjo and Kazooie
  39. Terry
  40. Steve
  41. Sephiroth
  42. Pyra/Mythra
Of course, this was a hard list to choose from. Bolded characters are ones I think would work as small DLC with minimal moveset changes from Ultimate.

• Any character that has appeared in at least four out of the five Smash Bros games stays
  • Clones are kept to an absolute minimum (any clone that doesn't fit the above criteria is cut)
  • A decent amount of characters get a moveset overhaul, namely the ones that seem to need it most
    • From Smash 64:
      • The majority of the cast gets some sort of significant moveset change (Everyone except Fox, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and maybe Link)
    • From Melee:
      • Sheik is now a part of Zelda again. They should hopefully be balanced better to give a reason to use both characters in a fight, unlike Melee.
      • Ganondorf is completely decloned
    • From Brawl
      • Wario gets some changes to his moveset to reference the Wario Land titles more
      • Charizard flies solo again and gains some changes to his moveset to compensate
      • Sonic gets a moveset overhaul
      • Lucario's aura mechanic is rethought
    • From Smash 4
      • Little Mac gets a moveset overhaul
    • From Ultimate
      • Very few changes are needed here
  • Custom moves return, but there is only one additional variation per move so they are a bit easier to balance. I feel that Delzethin's videos on potential custom moves cover what I would like to see from them this time around.
  • The scaled-back roster will give the development team an opportunity to rethink how some of the returning characters are implemented into the game and freshen them up for the modern era.

Excuse my diatribe, but I wanted to put my own thoughts out on the topic.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My stance on big character vs. little character is... Well, it could go either way. Precedent has given small-to-mid-tier characters in terms of size, with stuff like ROB, the Duck Hunt Dog, Corrin, and Byleth. Precedent has also given us a lot of big characters at E3; Mega Man, Ryu, Ridley, Banjo, and arguably the Miis (Plus Pac-Man, but he was in a weird situation). I'm leaning towards someone decently big, but I could see either scenarios happening.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don’t really understand the self-proclaimed dark horse attitude
How is it not warranted? He's from a series that lacks enough stuff for a challenger pack, and while he got AT'd, look closely at it and it feels very much like a placeholder. Like they added Psynergy moves that pretty much anyone could learn so his AT could easily be replaced without making more new moves.

kylexv

Smash Master
I think that, out of the last two characters, one will be underwhelming and the other will be big. It's how Smash 4's DLC ended, and I think Ultimate's DLC is likely to end that way as well.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
How is it not warranted? He's from a series that lacks enough stuff for a challenger pack, and while he got AT'd, look closely at it and it feels very much like a placeholder. Like they added Psynergy moves that pretty much anyone could learn so his AT could easily be replaced without making more new moves.
To be fair that was what he did in Brawl.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
True, although Bandana Dee does fall under the umbrella of “would be a front runner if the focus would be placed on first parties that aren’t Picked for Recency”, which is the pattern Nelson was describing
This feels ironic as recency is always used as a pro for the little guy
A darkhorse is someone new or unknown, not someone who's been a frontrunner for a decade

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To be fair that was what he did in Brawl.
I'm talking about the moves added to Isaac's moveset that weren't there in Brawl. The moves they added were ones that didn't require that many resources and are ones any Adept can learn, so anyone from Felix to Garet can replace Isaac as an AT if the AT function is that important.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm trying not to come off rude, but it feels really presumptuous of you to present these tinfoil hat theories and expect people to take it seriously yet act like getting another big third party character on the cusp of E3 is somehow unfathomably ridiculous.

This has the same energy as suggesting Springman was replaced with Springtron or that Shadow would be replaced with... a robot Shadow (yes I've actually heard this before) when in reality if Isaac did make it into the game... he'd probably keep his AT and just have it not show up whenever he's in battle. They do this already with toggling Alucard off in Wii Fit and not letting Knuckles be summoned on Green Hill since he can appear in the background.

And I know we all have our perfect visions of how characters are represented in Smash, and I'm sorry that the way Isaac turned out doesn't do it for you, but there are playable characters who struggle to be properly represented years after their debut, let alone an AT. Smash unfortunately doesn't always knock it out of the park, so that's hardly evidence of anything more to come.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm talking about the moves added to Isaac's moveset that weren't there in Brawl. The moves they added were ones that didn't require that many resources and are ones any Adept can learn, so anyone from Felix to Garet can replace Isaac as an AT if the AT function is that important.
I think they were moreso picked to be visually cohesive with the Move already there but I like your idea better.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think enough thought has been given to the possibility that we get a character that is both popular and hype because it's E3 and lower-profile because they're one of the last 2. Every time someone mentions one of those factors it's to completely ignore the other and I find that silly because there's an overlap between the two (the oft-discussed Bayonetta being a good example even if she wasn't revealed at E3)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Impa‘s momentum crashed and burned when the seemingly perfect design got spirited with AoC and we’re now back in the phase of a composite Impa. Not that I’m against that, she’d be great regardless but we were pretty close to a frontrunner-ish Impa with AoC.
Good point but spirits don't necessarily deconfirmed. I actually think here Hyrule Warriors moveset would be a great option because it would be a unique moveset for Smash. No matter how you spin it, she would share moves with Sheik.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This has the same energy as suggesting Springman was replaced with Springtron or that Shadow would be replaced with... a robot Shadow (I've heard this before) when in reality if Isaac did make it into the game... he'd probably keep his AT and just have it not show up
I'm just saying, if Sakurai and co. were as overly attached to ATs as the fanbase is when speculating who can be DLC, there's a lot of options to replace Isaac thanks to the moves they chose to add. Of course it's not going to ruin my gameplay if they disabled the AT when someone's playing as Isaac, I don't play with items.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
For the inevitable next Smash game (which will be a long time from now), I'd want a roster that evokes the same kind of aura as Brawl's roster. Everyone in that game felt like they should be there to some degree. Of course, I plan on adding some newcomers to freshen things up (a mix of fan-favorite picks and some unconventional ones), but I feel like Brawl's roster would be a good base to start things on:

Returning:
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Luigi
  10. Ness
  11. Captain Falcon
  12. Jigglypuff
  13. Peach
  14. Bowser
  15. Zelda/Sheik
  16. Falco
  17. Marth
  18. Ganondorf
  19. Mewtwo
  20. Mr. Game and Watch
  21. Meta Knight
  22. Pit
  23. Wario
  24. Ike
  25. Charizard
  26. Diddy Kong
  27. Sonic
  28. King Dedede
  29. Olimar
  30. Lucario
  31. R.O.B.
  32. Villager
  33. Mega Man
  34. Little Mac
  35. Pac-Man
  36. Robin
  37. Shulk
  38. Inkling
  39. Ridley
  40. Simon
  41. King K. Rool
  42. Byleth
  43. Min Min
New:
  1. Waluigi
  2. Skull Kid
  3. Bandanna Waddle Dee
  4. Isaac
  5. Retro Character (Balloon Fighter, Takamaru, or Donkey Kong Jr. come to mind)
  6. Ryu Hayabusa
  7. Rayman
  1. Dark Samus
  2. Daisy
  3. Ice Climbers
  4. Dr. Mario
  5. Pichu
  6. Lucina
  7. Young Link
  8. Roy
  9. Chrom
  10. Dark Pit
  11. Zero Suit Samus
  12. Snake
  13. Squirtle
  14. Ivysaur
  15. Lucas
  16. Toon Link
  17. Wolf
  18. Wii Fit Trainer
  19. Rosalina and Luma
  20. Greninja
  21. Mii Brawler
  22. Mii Swordfighter
  23. Mii Gunner
  24. Palutena
  25. Bowser Jr.
  26. Duck Hunt
  27. Ryu
  28. Ken
  29. Cloud
  30. Corrin
  31. Bayonetta
  32. Richter
  33. Isabelle
  34. Incineroar
  35. Piranha Plant
  36. Joker
  37. Hero
  38. Banjo and Kazooie
  39. Terry
  40. Steve
  41. Sephiroth
  42. Pyra/Mythra
Of course, this was a hard list to choose from. Bolded characters are ones I think would work as small DLC with minimal moveset changes from Ultimate.

• Any character that has appeared in at least four out of the five Smash Bros games stays
  • Clones are kept to an absolute minimum (any clone that doesn't fit the above criteria is cut)
  • A decent amount of characters get a moveset overhaul, namely the ones that seem to need it most
    • From Smash 64:
      • The majority of the cast gets some sort of significant moveset change (Everyone except Fox, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, and maybe Link)
    • From Melee:
      • Sheik is now a part of Zelda again. They should hopefully be balanced better to give a reason to use both characters in a fight, unlike Melee.
      • Ganondorf is completely decloned
    • From Brawl
      • Wario gets some changes to his moveset to reference the Wario Land titles more
      • Charizard flies solo again and gains some changes to his moveset to compensate
      • Sonic gets a moveset overhaul
      • Lucario's aura mechanic is rethought
    • From Smash 4
      • Little Mac gets a moveset overhaul
    • From Ultimate
      • Very few changes are needed here
  • Custom moves return, but there is only one additional variation per move so they are a bit easier to balance. I feel that Delzethin's videos on potential custom moves cover what I would like to see from them this time around.
  • The scaled-back roster will give the development team an opportunity to rethink how some of the returning characters are implemented into the game and freshen them up for the modern era.

Excuse my diatribe, but I wanted to put my own thoughts out on the topic.
I like this. The cuts are large, but not unreasonable. Someone mentioned it before, but smash implementing assist characters in a unique-to-smash way would be a really solid way to still get some core gameplay implementation without being confined to a dice roll character spawner. Like a middle between fighter and assist trophy

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If you had to cut half of Ultimate's roster (well about half, since it'd be either 44 or 45), who would you cut?
Since I already had the image made up, here's my Smash Tight 30:

1622484456937.png

Although to be honest, I made this way back before Simon was even announced.

Nowadays, I'd probably replace Olimar, Villager and Inklings with Erdrick, Bub and Crono. Go full retro with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom