• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You know, Mother 3 celebrated its 15th anniversary last month, and the first Fire Emblem was recently localized...

But in all seriousness, I'm hoping we get something crazy this E3 that nobody was expecting outside of Smash. Nintendo is gonna want to show that the Switch still has a few years of life left, right?
It's sad that this would be a surprise since it was actually announced a couple years ago, but I'd be shocked if Pikmin 4 finally shows up.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
An enhanced Switch model feels like something they'd announce more on their own terms. It's gonna be a somewhat niche counterpart to the Switch and Switch Lite, with its main advantage being a stronger third-party lineup and some better performance on first party games that currently struggle (such as Bowser's Fury). Perhaps some 1440p/4k nonsense too for those hoodlums into that.

I do wonder if it'd be console-only, since I feel like packing truly competitive specs into the Switch's form factor - while certainly doable - would result in a product that is forbiddingly expensive. Like - Neo Geo AES type beat.
And you'd probably need a pair of gloves to hold onto the damn thing without burnin' ya fingers.

Maybe October/Novemeber would be a more likely time to announce such a thing.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
You know, Mother 3 celebrated its 15th anniversary last month, and the first Fire Emblem was recently localized...

But in all seriousness, I'm hoping we get something crazy this E3 that nobody was expecting outside of Smash. Nintendo is gonna want to show that the Switch still has a few years of life left, right?
Nintendo will always have surprises up their sleeve (having their whole presentation leaked notwithstanding) but things like a 2D Metroid and DK would've been pretty surprising in my opinion had they not already been leaked up and down.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Even if the LeakyPandy stuff never happened, I'm pretty firm in my belief that Dark Souls 2 will be ported to the Switch someday.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I got you fam.

Matt, NOT a recreation, but THE original, in Smash Ultimate : smashbros
Hey, I'm the one that did this. Right down to the moveset, that's my screenshot. I ripped Matt's Mii data from my Wii Sports disc and injected it into my Wii, and through some shenanigans, took it from my modded Wii, to my 3DS, and then to my Switch via an amiibo. Then I just made the Mii fighter as per usual and tossed it on shared content back when I was subscribed to NSO. It made the rounds online, which was a neat surprise. I went by Tomo at the time and nowadays go by Momo on everything that isn't Smashboards. Funny to see it pop up again over a year later, haha.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey, I'm the one that did this. Right down to the moveset, that's my screenshot. I ripped Matt's Mii data from my Wii Sports disc and injected it into my Wii, and through some shenanigans, took it from my modded Wii, to my 3DS, and then to my Switch via an amiibo. Then I just made the Mii fighter as per usual and tossed it on shared content back when I was subscribed to NSO. It made the rounds online, which was a neat surprise. I went by Tomo at the time and nowadays go by Momo on everything that isn't Smashboards. Funny to see it pop up again over a year later, haha.
That’s crazy impressive :o

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
An enhanced Switch model feels like something they'd announce more on their own terms. It's gonna be a somewhat niche counterpart to the Switch and Switch Lite, with its main advantage being a stronger third-party lineup and some better performance on first party games that currently struggle (such as Bowser's Fury). Perhaps some 1440p/4k nonsense too for those hoodlums into that.
You think a noticeably more powerful Switch is going to be "niche"?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
You think a noticeably more powerful Switch is going to be "niche"?
If it's gonna cost a kidney, then probably, yeah. Niche doesn't mean bad, y'know. There's nothing wrong with targeting a narrower demographic, that's why you have options, such as the other two currently available Switch models.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
One thing I wonder about the more “hardcore” Switch is: will it be dock only, or will it be like the current not-Lite Switch, just more powerful and with a bigger handheld screen?

D

Deleted member

So..did anything interesting come from these leaks? Did these leaks even leak at all? I felt like the morning was spent preparing for their coming and then nothing happened. Did I just miss them?

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Unless they price a revision exorbitantly or provide very limited stock, I don't think any Switch revision that releases this year or next will be aptly described as "niche". Nicher than the original model? Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's actually niche.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So..did anything interesting come from these leaks? Did these leaks even leak at all? I felt like the morning was spent preparing for their coming and then nothing happened. Did I just miss them?
Well, the leaks give us an excuse to have this discussion:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So far there’s been Final Fantasy Origin which is essentially a Dark Souls-like game set in FFI’s world

there MIGHT be more yet to be revealed tho

I hope something Star Ocean is one of them...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Still nothing that wasn't already floating around beforehand

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I really don't think the Switch Pro is meant to be a niche item. Most industry analysts are predicting the price to be somewhere between $349 and $399 USD, which is still very reasonable for a brand new electronic device from a major brand. Hell, $349 is considered to be a bargain for a new smartphone, while the PS5 Digital Edition is priced at $399 and is deliberately designed to be a more affordable option relative to the standard PS5.

Nintendo has introduced an updated model of the existing handheld halfway through the system's life since the Gameboy Advanced SP in 2003 (hell, you could even make an argument that the practice happened even earlier depending on how you view the relationship between the Gameboy and the Gameboy Colour. It worked so well for the DS that it happened 3 times throughout that console's life.

I don't see Nintendo fixing this business model when it continues to work. Hell, the current market actually makes beefier models of the same device more viable than in the past, given that companies like Apple have made regular hardware updates standard in mainstream consumer tech.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If it's gonna cost a kidney, then probably
Why the hell would it? The original Switch is 4 years old now. Nintendo can use tech that is 4 years better than what's in the original Switch, for the same price.

When the new Switch comes out, it'll just become the new default. The same way the DSi did back in the day.

One thing I wonder about the more “hardcore” Switch is: will it be dock only
There's no way.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Yeah, the DSi wasn't niche, it sold over 40 million units. And the Switch line is set to be Nintendo's biggest success story since the DS line. I'm not sure how "high end" people expect the Pro to be, but this is still Nintendo - a more powerful system is still not going to be chasing power to the point it prices out a large swath of the consumer base.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Did we get a leak or is it still a leak that there was a leak that could potentially leak?

Will anyone call a plumber????

dream1ng

Smash Lord
How powerful would a Switch DX be? I'm thinking slightly above a base PS4, but I don't know for sure.
Nintendo hardware feels like it's always 3/4 of a gen behind, so that's a pretty good estimate, I'd say. But I think it will have some tricks like 4k (upscaled, not native) and DLSS to make it seem slightly more advanced than it is.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I am hoping for that as well. Also because I'm kinda worried about Nintendo's year. No better place to announce the rest of their 2021 lineup than E3. Their weak 2020 was understandable due to how the pandemic affected (and is still affecting) companies, but I hope they managed to have a more juicy lineup for the second half of this year.

And I think they're going to have a good E3. Nintendo and Square Enix are the ones I'm more interested in for E3.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of pandemic I read Japan is ramping up vaccine distribution

I hope Sakurai can get vaccinated soon... 🤞

MattX20

Smash Hero
As far as E3 is concerned, I'm fairly convinced we'll get both of the remaining fighters in the pass revealed. We all know FP10 is going to be a June reveal and release, so it would make more sense to reveal FP11 (who may or may not be a first party choice) towards the end of the Direct because I doubt Nintendo wants another Byleth level of backlash after months of no news and buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom