• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I don't care what anyone thinks at this point. I've been certain Mother 3 would be revealed at the next E3 each year since 2011.

I'll do it again. This time the spirit of Terry Crews is in me!
Whether it be this year, next year, or thirty years from now, I'm absolutely convinced that Mother 3 will happen one day. As much as it's a meme, or how unlikely people find it since it has already been fifteen years, crazier things have happened. Nintendo knows there's a demand. It's not even a niche Starmen.net petition anymore. Mother 3 is almost at mainstream level of relevance simply due to people wanting it. And I don't blame them, it's a great game.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Particularly since Pac-Man has barely any spirits and a basic AF assist trophy

God only knows why the Taunt Roulette cameos didn't get spirit battles, 99% of people don't even know they're in the game

Sure, with the role that Nintendo has in picking characters, it's not hard to see how Tales and Tekken and Taiko get continually out-prioritised for playable status - but pump up what you do have
The Namco content in Smash is so bizzarely underwhelming, it's like they obscured it on purpose. It's great that Pac-Man's moveset and song list reference other classic Namco games, as do the couple of Namco items, but the lack of Pac-Maze is baffling. Add to that the fact that the games referenced in the Namco Roulette taunt are relegated to blink and you'll miss it cameos, and don't have Spirits, not even of the same sprites that are literally already in the game as part of the aforementioned taunt, and it seems like they have thus far been intentionally omitted from the Spirit list. And it's not like they just chose to focus on Pac-Man games for spirits, either, because there's only five and they're all from PAC-MAN or PAC-LAND.
I can't think of any reason why Namco wouldn't include Spirits from Dig Dug, Mappy, Valkyrie, etc. in a game they literally developed, except to demonstrate the utmost levels of Japanese modesty and humility.

Technomage

Smash Champion
The Namco content in Smash is so bizzarely underwhelming, it's like they obscured it on purpose. It's great that Pac-Man's moveset and song list reference other classic Namco games, as do the couple of Namco items, but the lack of Pac-Maze is baffling. Add to that the fact that the games referenced in the Namco Roulette taunt are relegated to blink and you'll miss it cameos, and don't have Spirits, not even of the same sprites that are literally already in the game as part of the aforementioned taunt, and it seems like they have thus far been intentionally omitted from the Spirit list. And it's not like they just chose to focus on Pac-Man games for spirits, either, because there's only five and they're all from PAC-MAN or PAC-LAND.
I can't think of any reason why Namco wouldn't include Spirits from Dig Dug, Mappy, Valkyrie, etc. in a game they literally developed, except to demonstrate the utmost levels of Japanese modesty and humility.
Well, the Trivia section of the article I'm gonna post does state that there is speculation about a rule that Namco imposed that prohibits Pac-Man characters from being displayed or implied as dead. I don't know if that's true, though.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Well, the Trivia section of the article I'm gonna post does state that there is speculation about a rule that Namco imposed that prohibits Pac-Man characters from being displayed or implied as dead. I don't know if that's true, though.

If that's the case, it's weird that Pac-Man has spirits, then.

Technomage

Smash Champion
If that's the case, it's weird that Pac-Man has spirits, then.
Well, I think I can figure out why some of those Spirits are exceptions: Both Ghost spirits because they're already dead to begin with, the fairy because fairies are often considered a kind of spirit (even if they're not dead), the Bonus Fruits because they're inanimate objects, and Pac-Man because all fighters have to have at least one spirit of themselves.

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
THIS. Doesn't this all seem a wee bit suspicious at all?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't care what anyone thinks at this point. I've been certain Mother 3 would be revealed at the next E3 each year since 2011.

I'll do it again. This time the spirit of Terry Crews is in me!
If we keep predicting it, then we will eventually be correct.

...Right?

I mean, we’re the customer, and the customer is always right.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Well, I think I can figure out why some of those Spirits are exceptions: Both Ghost spirits because they're already dead to begin with, the fairy because fairies are often considered a kind of spirit (even if they're not dead), the Bonus Fruits because they're inanimate objects, and Pac-Man because all fighters have to have at least one spirit of themselves.
Does this mean Dark Souls is the most eligible Bandai Namco IP, because all of the characters are canonically dead or spirits?

/s

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
fun fact: Pac-Man's spirit comes from some Sonic mobile game, so technically it's not a Namco spirit.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Whether it be this year, next year, or thirty years from now, I'm absolutely convinced that Mother 3 will happen one day. As much as it's a meme, or how unlikely people find it since it has already been fifteen years, crazier things have happened. Nintendo knows there's a demand. It's not even a niche Starmen.net petition anymore. Mother 3 is almost at mainstream level of relevance simply due to people wanting it. And I don't blame them, it's a great game.
Exactly!
Mother 3 is no longer that one obscure game that a bunch of nerds wanted in 2007. It became much more. People started being interested in the series, I think due to Smash making people discover what Mother actually was, but also the fanbase that always kept pushing for the game to be localized, never dropping their efforts.

Nintendo themselves acknowledged Mother 3 in 2014, which is kinda huge given that the game was never released elsewhere at all than Japan, thus technically obscure (which was already not the case anymore, it was already a meme). They finally gave us an official release for Mother 1 in 2015. Earthbound was also released on the new 3DS in 2017. Both games sold extremely well, apparently even topping the best sales of all times on Wii U.

I will be delusional until the very end, but man if they actually port the three games on Switch this year for Mother 3's 15th anniversary, I'll actually create a Twitter account and thank Terry Crews for using his magic.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Dark Souls, like I've said before, is one of the few series out there whose presence in Smash would make canonical sense.

Plot and thematic similarities aside (the lyrics of Lifelight and the overall plot of Smash Ultimate being kinda like DS), it would check out story-wise.

DS characters are long undead, and carry their souls. Putting spirits, or the essences of basically any Dark Souls character into the game, would effectively be like adding their "souls".

Also, NPCs, online play, and phantoms of other players are explained in DS. "Time is convoluted" in the world of Lordan, with heroes of many different ages and timelines fading in and out. The Smash team could just use the Chosen Undead flickering into the world of Smash as a reveal trailer, and it would be perfectly canonically justified.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I love MOTHER 3 to death, and I've gotta ask; why do people want an official localization so bad? So that NoA can mangle it? Go play Tomato's translation instead of waiting for a censored parody of the original script.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I love MOTHER 3 to death, and I've gotta ask; why do people want an official localization so bad? So that NoA can mangle it? Go play Tomato's translation instead of waiting for a censored parody of the original script.
Honestly on my end, and I assume everyone else’s, it’s just to finally “win”. The localization of Mother 3, flawed or otherwise, would be the final chapter of a battle that the Mother community has been fighting for years on years. It’s definitely more about the sentiment than anything else.

And yeah, for the people who weren’t in the know they can finally experience the game to some extent, so long as Nintendo markets it properly.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Dark Souls, like I've said before, is one of the few series out there whose presence in Smash would make canonical sense.

Plot and thematic similarities aside (the lyrics of Lifelight and the overall plot of Smash Ultimate being kinda like DS), it would check out story-wise.

DS characters are long undead, and carry their souls. Putting spirits, or the essences of basically any Dark Souls character into the game, would effectively be like adding their "souls".

Also, NPCs, online play, and phantoms of other players are explained in DS. "Time is convoluted" in the world of Lordan, with heroes of many different ages and timelines fading in and out. The Smash team could just use the Chosen Undead flickering into the world of Smash as a reveal trailer, and it would be perfectly canonically justified.
In that case, this would be the Dark Souls of Spirit Battles
1621890101128.png

Technomage

Smash Champion
Who could even rep Dark Souls?
I'm aware of how logical Chosen Undead would be.

But what about, say, Solaire and/or Artorias?
Well, Solaire and the Chosen Undead are the most frequently suggested DS reps I've seen; I don't know about Artorias, though (I don't even know who he is, nor do I know much about DS).

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, Solaire and the Chosen Undead are the most frequently suggested DS reps I've seen; I don't know about Artorias, though (I don't even know who he is, nor do I know much about DS).
Artorias is a dude who's important to the lore who had a expansion named after him where you fight him.

That's about as much as I remember from Google Theory in regards to him.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
all I know about Artorias is that there was a "leak" that had him in it, Google Theory, shortly before E3 2019.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Artorias is this guy.

Knight artorias.jpeg

He was one of the four Knights of Gwyn, but was corrupted by the Abyss after trying to stop it's spread.

Super cheesy lore, but he's a fan favorite DLC boss from the first game, and for a reason. Knight Artorias is considered one of the best bosses in the series by many, and canonically, he is super strong. When you fight him, his dominant arm is broken, and he's ill. Even still, he can kick your a** repeatedly.

I think Chosen Undead (with a Solaire alt), or Solaire would be the character picked for Smash Ultimate, without a doubt. When the whole "google Theory" thing came up, though, I have to say I liked the idea of Artorias being playable.

He seems like such a Sakurai pick. Artorias getting in would be like Iori becoming playable before Terry, which Sakurai might've preferred.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Artorias is this guy.
View attachment 316364
He was one of the four Knights of Gwyn, but was corrupted by the Abyss after trying to stop it's spread.

Super cheesy lore, but he's a fan favorite DLC boss from the first game, and for a reason. Knight Artorias is considered one of the best bosses in the series by many, and canonically, he is super strong. When you fight him, his dominant arm is broken, and he's ill. Even still, he can kick your a** repeatedly.
Ooohh, sounds so badass; maybe he could make for a great DLC boss (even if it's as a stage boss), if he isn't the playable rep?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Ooohh, sounds so badass; maybe he could make for a great DLC boss (even if it's as a stage boss), if he isn't the playable rep?
That's what I was thinking, too. An Artorias stage boss would be right up there with Gwyn or Ornstein and Smough in terms of "exciting" for me, lol.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Dark Souls has always felt like an interesting concept for a fighter.

I just question how fun they'd be to play/be as.

I don't question Sakurai's ability to give a Dark Souls character a moveset, but knowing Sakurai, he'd try to encapsulate the essence of Dark Souls gameplay in the character itself.... which would mean brutal difficulty. A character with insanely slow attacks that deal considerable damage, but is fairly frail sounds.... unique, to say the least.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Artorias is the Not!Berserker Armour Guts character

Edit: lol that happens when ya get distracted I guess

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman

I don't question Sakurai's ability to give a Dark Souls character a moveset, but knowing Sakurai, he'd try to encapsulate the essence of Dark Souls gameplay in the character itself.... which would mean brutal difficulty. A character with insanely slow attacks that deal considerable damage, but is fairly frail sounds.... unique, to say the least.
Another reason why I think Artorias could be a cool Smash fighter. Whereas Chosen Undead (though they could work for sure) would likely be a heavier, slower-paced character, Artorias' fighting style in the Dark Souls DLC revolves around the following:

1. Leaping across the battlefield and slamming you with a Greatsword
2. Flailing said Greatsword
3. Exploding with abyss energy, and using it to bump his damage output
4. Leaving a trail of Abyss were he walks, which damages anyone who treads in it
5. Zooming across the arena and stabbing you

His buddy is a big wolf with a sword, too.

Generally a more fast-paced fighter.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Sephiroth technically already fulfilled that niche.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly, Artorias feels like a CP11 to me, idk about y'all.
Even with my biases...really? You clearly aren't paying attention to Smash's oh-so-grand finales. Even Bayonetta, while she's no Corrin, is from a less well-known franchise than Dark Souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom