• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Mii costumes I'd like to see come with Master Chief John would be:

Conker as a Mii Gunner
Battletoad as a Mii Brawler
Fulgore as a Mii Brawler
Joanna Dark as a Mii Gunner
Marcus Phoenix as a Mii Gunner

Also, mind you that Sakurai personally stated at one point that he played and love both Halo 2 and Half-Life 2.
Oh cool, hope that increases Chief's chances of Joining the Battle.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Funny you mention this, RGFS RGFS : EA TECHNICALLY has Smash content:

Maxis is an American video game developer and a division of Electronic Arts. The studio was founded in 1987 by Will Wright and Jeff Braun, and acquired by EA in 1997. Maxis is best known for its simulation games, including the SimCity The Sims, and Spore.
^^^Dr. Wright's an AT.

Also, mind you that Sakurai personally stated at one point that he played and love both Halo 2 and Half-Life 2.
Yup! All this stuff and more is why I love that Sakurai is in charge of Smash. As Reggie put it, “Mr. Sakurai, he’s not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he’s had his hand in a few, but he’s a student of video games from a total perspective." It's so cool to see what has come together in Smash when you take a step back and don't just look at the Character Select Screen. It's debatable how much of a hand he actually has had in picking the DLC now but I think he does have some influence and has done an amazing job even before Nintendo allegedly had a bigger hand in selection.

It's pretty cool to have the legendary Will Wright basically represented in Smash since Brawl now. There's a really awesome article about what he thinks of the appearance in Smash and his relationship with Miyamoto. It's super interesting how Dr. Wright is like a reverse Geno. He's a character from a third-party series that Nintendo owns. Also, unlike SE with Geno, they actually treat Dr. Wright pretty well. It's cool to have SimCity in Smash in some way but I really wish we also got spirits from The Sims. A fighter would be pretty interesting and funny if it was one of the final two.

Also, the article Sakurai wrote in 2004 about the feel of American games is a fascinating read too. He primarily talks about Half-Life and states how it has a bit of a "Nintendo vibe." when talking to the interviewer. It's so cool to see what Sakurai had to say years before even Brawl came out.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I had a wild dream last night where the final characters revealed were Scorpion and the Doom Slayer. The only thing I can remember is that Scorpion’s stage was Shao Khan’s Arena.
On one hand it ought to be The Pit because it's the most famous stage but Shao Khan's Arena entails him **** talking you so it's automatically the better choice

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Yup! All this stuff and more is why I love that Sakurai is in charge of Smash. As Reggie put it, “Mr. Sakurai, he’s not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he’s had his hand in a few, but he’s a student of video games from a total perspective." It's so cool to see what has come together in Smash when you take a step back and don't just look at the Character Select Screen. It's debatable how much of a hand he actually has had in picking the DLC now but I think he does have some influence and has done an amazing job even before Nintendo allegedly had a bigger hand in selection.
Hence why Smash Ultimate is Ultimate: beyond its playable characters, a myriad of impressive crossovers have come to life!

Also, if we're gonna talk about EA content in smash BESIDES Dr. Wright and Sims spirits (hypothethically)...

Crazy Dave, anyone?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hence why Smash Ultimate is Ultimate: beyond its playable characters, a myriad of impressive crossovers have come to life!

Also, if we're gonna talk about EA content in smash BESIDES Dr. Wright and Sims spirits (hypothethically)...

Crazy Dave, anyone?
I don't think Crazy Dave would work well in Smash as the ideas I see would require a lot of models which I fear would be too much of a task, though I can see a fun moveset revolving primarily around stage control so I wouldn't mind being wrong

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Crazy Dave, anyone?
Someone made a great concept art for his moveset.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Someone made a great concept art for his moveset.

Looks great!
Have you checked this moveset idea out?

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I actually do think a part of the reason they added Terry was because he was cheaper. And it is possible they offset the costs of third-party DLC with first-party DLC. Nintendo is a very wealthy company, but it doesn't mean the budget they allocate for DLC is limitless. You could especially see as much last time, when DLC trailers didn't utilize CGI and Ryu and Cloud came with nearly the bare minimum. I think it's entirely possible that's what's kept Sora out. And Nintendo couldn't reacquire Snake last time. Maybe it was due to Konami ****ery, or maybe it was just because without Kojima pushing for it, they were asking for more.

I think they've afforded more towards DLC this time on the back of its previous success (and planned it as part of the budget from the outset), but that doesn't mean Nintendo cut Sakurai a blank cheque, either. We can only guess as to who costs what, but something like a pass full of Sephiroths wouldn't be tenable, cost-wise.
I think what you're saying is mostly fair since if it costs too much, they don't make any profit, but that's what negotiations are for. Any company that doesn't fairly negotiate is essentially just rejecting the Smash offer. Terry absolutely got in on merits. It isn't fair to say he got in because he was cheap even if that was a bonus. Cheaper negotiations still probably have SNK taking a percentage of sales anyway and Nintendo probably isn't stingy enough to not give the smaller company more than exposure.

What likely hurt the DLC budget the first time around is probably how it was during the Wii U era and they didn't really have as much money made from Smash. I think Snake didn't get in because he was probably not compatible with Sakurai's vision for Smash 4 alongside Konami meddling.

With Sephiroth in, the most local conclusion for me is that Sora didn't get in because Sakurai vetoed it. He probably felt the Disney characters aspect was integral to what made Kingdom Hearts the series was and decided not to do it. He could change his mind someday but I think that and the allure of adding Sephiroth also hurt Sora. I really doubt it was Disney not fairly negotiating considering they even made Spider-Man work again with Sony a while back and they were clearly open to the idea when asked a few times right?

Crazy Dave, anyone?
I remember I saw a really cool concept for a Crazy Dave Mii Gunner with a peashooter. Maybe if we do get The Sims that could happen in the Mii Wave? Also, The Sims' Green Diamond Plumbob would be an awesome Mii Hat that floats above you and gets redder as you get hit would be such a cool feature.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Just curious:

What's a company that you all think gets slept on in terms of getting representation? Whether it has 0 representation or whether it means getting more.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I would recommend looking the tweet being quoted here. No, this isn't a leaker.
Just curious:

What's a company that you all think gets slept on in terms of getting representation? Whether it has 0 representation or whether it means getting more.
Definitely Bandai-Namco. It's weird that they only have one rep when, like SEGA or Capcom, they have plenty of options to choose from (Tales, Dark Souls, goddamn Idolm@ster, etc.).

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Definitely Bandai-Namco. It's weird that they only have one rep when, like SEGA or Capcom, they have plenty of options to choose from (Tales, Dark Souls, goddamn Idolm@ster, etc.).
I personally think more people are expecting more Bandai-Namco content, especially given the mysterious whereabouts of Lloyd's Mii Costume (returning, that is), but sure.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Speaking of EA content, Getting any sort of Mass Effect content in the game would be really cool. Mass Effect wouldn't be that Farfetched as Mass Effect 3 was on the Wii-U

Commander Shepard would be fun, but the more realistic option would be N7 Armor being added as a Mii costume.

if FFXIII-2 could do it, smash could do it.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Just curious:

Namco and Tecmo (Ryu Hayabusa would have made a lot of sense if Nintendo had given his company an invitatrion).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just curious:

Namco for getting more (I mean they’re making the game for crying out loud)

for no representation whatsoever: Spike Chunsoft? LOOK I WANT MY ZERO ESCAPE AND DANGANRONPA CONTENT.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Namco for getting more (I mean they’re making the game for crying out loud)

for no representation whatsoever: Spike Chunsoft? LOOK I WANT MY ZERO ESCAPE AND DANGANRONPA CONTENT.
Spike Chunsoft published Crypt of the NecroDancer and Cadence of Hyrule in Japan, so am I allowed to count Cadence as a SC character?

(Also, fun-yet-irrelevant fact: thanks to a chain involving Cadence of Hyrule and Smash, Danganrompa is a mere five degrees of separation from Homestuck.)

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Got some dedicated halo fans in here, ugh I love it. Sakurai being a fan of the series is something many people forget.

Also as some people have pointed out but not fleshed out: It's not that Japan doesn't like Halo/Master Chief, it's just not a series they've had the opportunity to really be exposed to. Xbox accounts for less than 1% of console sales in Japan. I'm not sure how much MCC hitting PC has helped that exposure. I think his status as one of gaming's biggest characters is quite well established, which is why it looking like game pass, in some form, heading to the Switch would be a huuuuge deal for Halo's exposure in the eastern market. Plus, once exposed, Japan players can then get into Infinite on their PCs. (since game pass or not, there's like zero chance infinite will hold up on Switch, or a potential Switch Pro)

Also, I know we're like two pages past it, but no one brought it up.

There is a mini master chief printed on the motherboard of every single Xbox made.

Not their mascot? Puh-leez.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think what you're saying is mostly fair since if it costs too much, they don't make any profit, but that's what negotiations are for. Any company that doesn't fairly negotiate is essentially just rejecting the Smash offer. Terry absolutely got in on merits. It isn't fair to say he got in because he was cheap even if that was a bonus. Cheaper negotiations still probably have SNK taking a percentage of sales anyway and Nintendo probably isn't stingy enough to not give the smaller company more than exposure.

What likely hurt the DLC budget the first time around is probably how it was during the Wii U era and they didn't really have as much money made from Smash. I think Snake didn't get in because he was probably not compatible with Sakurai's vision for Smash 4 alongside Konami meddling.

With Sephiroth in, the most local conclusion for me is that Sora didn't get in because Sakurai vetoed it. He probably felt the Disney characters aspect was integral to what made Kingdom Hearts the series was and decided not to do it. He could change his mind someday but I think that and the allure of adding Sephiroth also hurt Sora. I really doubt it was Disney not fairly negotiating considering they even made Spider-Man work again with Sony a while back and they were clearly open to the idea when asked a few times right?
I think you're focusing too much on questions of fairness in business negotiations. I mean there can be mutual back-scratching that informs the agreement they reach, but ultimately a company is going to have a bottom line of how much they charge, and "fairness" is only going to sway the needle so much. Ask PSASBR. And some companies are going to be more austere than others. Disney strikes me as among the more stringent, in that regard.

But I will stand by Terry partially getting in because he was cheap. There are many characters out there that have merit, Terry is one, but there aren't that many that Fighting EX Layer can afford to license. Plus, look how much more content he came with than everyone else. I think his price tag was a not unimportant factor to Nintendo. It's very easy for people who don't have to deal with the financial aspect to say the financial aspect isn't that meaningful.

Plus, your Disney example is a little off. Not only does it deal with an entirely different division of Disney, but if you're referring to Spider-Man leaving then returning to the MCU, that happened because Sony declined further collaboration after Disney wanted their cut of the box office revenue to jump 45%. They ended up coming to an agreement, but I guarantee you they ended up with more than the 5% they started with. That's not exactly an example of Disney not wanting a big cut. That sounds very much like two companies playing hardball over money.

Here's another few things: Disney wants Spider-Man. They are much more willing to compromise over something that meaningful, whereas Nintendo are the ones who would approach Disney, and then the ball is basically is Disney's court. Disney also devalues their own property to the detriment of the fans, trying to force the hands of other rights holders to relinquish control. Disney is not the pinnacle of fairness.

Also Nintendo tried for Snake last time so he had to have been at least somewhat compatible with Smash 4's vision. I also question the idea of Sakurai vetoing Sora over partial viable content considering for a while he was amenable to representing Final Fantasy with Cloud, Midgar, two songs, and that's it. Not exactly the breadth of Final Fantasy. It still isn't.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I really love and still regularly play the first PvZ game on the PC (though everything past that is just a hot mess.) So I could definitely be down for Crazy Dave. Though really, it'd be an interesting case, using him as merely the "face" to essentially represent an entire game in fighter form, rather than focusing much on the character aspect. We know Dave is clearly a skilled (albeit unhinged) survivalist, but we've never actually seen him doing it.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Got some dedicated halo fans in here, ugh I love it. Sakurai being a fan of the series is something many people forget.

Also as some people have pointed out but not fleshed out: It's not that Japan doesn't like Halo/Master Chief, it's just not a series they've had the opportunity to really be exposed to. Xbox accounts for less than 1% of console sales in Japan. I'm not sure how much MCC hitting PC has helped that exposure. I think his status as one of gaming's biggest characters is quite well established, which is why it looking like game pass, in some form, heading to the Switch would be a huuuuge deal for Halo's exposure in the eastern market. Plus, once exposed, Japan players can then get into Infinite on their PCs. (since game pass or not, there's like zero chance infinite will hold up on Switch, or a potential Switch Pro)

Also, I know we're like two pages past it, but no one brought it up.

There is a mini master chief printed on the motherboard of every single Xbox made.

Not their mascot? Puh-leez.
I'm in a bit of a weird spot because the Halo game I played the most was Reach, and I'm pretty sure Master Chief was only a voice clip in that game, but HELL, any Halo content would be awesome. I wanna see some Energy Swords, Warthogs, and teabagging.

FJA147

Smash Cadet
The trick in my opinion of never being disappointed is for a smash reveal is thinking that it will be the worst case and learning to be happy for the people whose character got in. Just giving this advice because I know it is going to happen with a lot of people with these last two slots. It has worked for me so far in FP2.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If a fighter being cheap to negotiate for is somehow relevant... I'm gonna add that to the list of reasons why I still have hope for the Shrine Maiden... Seriously, they wouldn't even be "negotiations."
Actually, there would; Specifically, Nintendo paying for all of ZUN's beer for about a month...

...And knowing how much that guy drinks, that would completely bankrupt Nintendo and suddenly make's Reimu's price tag that much higher

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Just curious:

I'd say Level-5. They're basically a second-party studio in all but ownership with how much of their games are Nintendo exclusive. I'd be shocked if they got nothing in Ultimate.

But really every unrepped company is slept on. I attribute that partially to the fact that it's easier to come up with several candidates for the companies already in whereas new companies only have a handful of obvious reps, but still. I've actually seen people go "oh if Hayabusa isn't in then we're not getting anyone from a new company" and I'm like lmao what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom