• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
If a fighter being cheap to negotiate for is somehow relevant... I'm gonna add that to the list of reasons why I still have hope for the Shrine Maiden... Seriously, they wouldn't even be "negotiations."
I hear that cheapness can be a factor increasing the chances of indie characters getting into Smash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I hear that cheapness can be a factor increasing the chances of indie characters getting into Smash.
That's the hope. Indie companies are smaller and presumably more willing, without all the legal junk to sift through. We might end up without any indies, but hey, it's something to hold on to for the time being and I generally lean closer to optimism than pessimism, so :drshrug:. I'll keep holding on for a little longer.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would recommend looking the tweet being quoted here. No, this isn't a leaker.
Yeah, I'm not so sure. In that conversation Imran responded to a Sora suggestion with saying they "absolutely approached Disney about it once" and said "Disney Japan specifically [is keeping Sora from Smash]". Those are... rather specific guesses, if guesses. He then did not proceed to correct the multitude of outlets who reported on this to contextualize it as speculation, which is what insiders usually do when taken out of context.

What he didn't say was this forever closes the door on Sora or future negotiations that go differently. That is a leap people made themselves.

I'm thinking the topic was regarding speculation, but the interjection was factual. Or, at least factual to Imran's knowledge. How much credence you want to lend his Smash claims, well, ymmv.

I'm in a bit of a weird spot because the Halo game I played the most was Reach, and I'm pretty sure Master Chief was only a voice clip in that game, but HELL, any Halo content would be awesome. I wanna see some Energy Swords, Warthogs, and teabagging.
Here's the Smash equivalent to teabagging

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, like I’ve mentioned before, I personally prefer more niche characters in general over mainstream ones. I don’t really have anything against the popular choices but none of them really appeal to me as much as other characters.
Yeah, none of the "frontrunners" really overlap with my personal preferences. My two most wanteds are from an indie and a game series that's only sold five million copies or so over the course of almost 35 years and has had a shaky translation history up until recently, respectively, so that should say a lot about my interests. Y'know, when you lay it out like that it makes me seem like I'd mainly be a PC gamer and not a Nintendo one

I suppose that's been influencing my paranoia around the frontrunners, at least subconsciously. Confirmation bias towards what I want and against what I'm not into and all that.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm in a bit of a weird spot because the Halo game I played the most was Reach, and I'm pretty sure Master Chief was only a voice clip in that game, but HELL, any Halo content would be awesome. I wanna see some Energy Swords, Warthogs, and teabagging.
Maybe one of Chief's taunts should be a teabag if he were to get in. XD

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I kind of wish Sakurai never made this statement to be honest. Alot of people took this statement at face value. View attachment 315796
The thing about the statement is that absolutely any character in Smash can get a moveset that's fun to play if you know what you're doing. Sakurai and the Smash Team certainly do know what they're doing. What's funny though is that people ignore the "not just recognizable" part meaning they still do reasonably need to be recognizable to some degree even if they're not worldwide like Little Mac or Terry.

At least the whole quote kind of kills off the idea of fighters not being able to get in if they're not subjectively "iconic" enough.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Wait so why do you guys think Lara is so unlikely as a potential next Square Enix character (I'm just curious, ain't trying to throw a fit lmao)?
I don't even think she's so unlikely. Tomb Raider is a big franchise and Lara is an Iconic character. I will say Lara also is getting more Smash attention than back in the day. If she had more Nintendo love then I would say the situation would favor towards her heavily

I think though when it comes to other Square characters though, Like 2B, Sora, Neku, and even Geno, Lara is nowhere near as flashy in the moveset department, at least in people's heads, because the Tomb Raider franchise is more grounded in comparison (Even if it's still not super realistic). I don't know Sakurai feels about the situation, but I do suspect that's why those other characters get more love than Lara in support, and maybe the support for the other characters would point Square and Nintendo into those franchises direction instead of Tomb Raider, despite Tomb Raider being

I don't think Steve's road to inclusion should be used as any kind of precedent given how atypical it was. I really don't think the norm is for characters to endure such a protracted period of negotiation, and part of the reason for the length seems to be that Sakurai initially turned the character down.

The thing to glean from the situation is that Nintendo and Microsoft have existing lines of communication for Smash collaboration (though this was demonstrated beforehand with Banjo), and that Sakurai changes his mind, or is sometimes persuaded to (which we already knew).

People focus on the five-year aspect too much. It wasn't five years of active development, anyway. It was five years from first talks to final release. There could've been, and probably was, a long period where there was no progression whatsoever, and eventually they returned to the idea.
It's just hard to make any sort of theory on how the DLC will end when we only have on game to make a comparison.
Especially when, apparently, the DLC for Smash 4 wasn't completely planned from the start if I recall correctly.
Ultimate DLC definitely was planned for far longer than Smash 4's.
To be honest, I do think other 3rd Party characters could go for some years and years long period of talks, up until the point where the Negotiations reaches the Legal document signing and such

I don't think every characters takes 5 years long like Steve did, but I'm sure with the Smash 4 DLC like Ryu and Cloud, they were probably discussed for a long while before they actually decided to negotiate legally. Ryu in Particular I think was this case since Mega Man was in the Base game, and I'm sure discussions did at one point navigate towards Ryu, even if the focus was Mega Man. Cloud is just because I Imagine working with a company like Square for the first time, it might be more drawn out in length

DLC for Smash 4 wasn't planned, Just like how Smash Ultimate DLC wasn't planned until January of 2018. That doesn't mean there weren't discussions of potential characters after the base roster was set in stone. I actually don't imagine Nintendo would even approve of DLC unless they had a reassurance that they even had potential characters already in the pipeline.

I also do think that many of the 3rd party Ultimate characters we got started discussions during the Smash 4 era, besides Steve. In particular, Ken Masters, The Belmonts (along with the return of Snake), Sephiroth, Hero, and Banjo.

Ken Masters and the Belmonts being base game would have had to have negotiations finished when they finalized the Project Plan in December of 2015, plus Ken was the only SF character besides Ryu that had a presence during the game, implying that it was already decided he'd be the 2nd SF Character. With how popular Banjo was for Smash fans and seeing how Microsoft and Nintendo started the Collab in 2015 thanks to Minecraft, I'm sure Banjo was on the mind as well. If they were thinking of having 2 Castlevania and 2 Street Fighter characters, I'm sure that the idea of Both Cloud and Sephiroth also sparked early on, and Dragon quest is monumental franchise

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its gonna be interesting to see if/how conversations with third parties now ended up affecting which fighters will get in future games.

I can imagine Nintendo's had a lot of discussions with various companies and that even meetings with ones that didn't get characters now may have still laid the groundwork for them coming in later.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, none of the "frontrunners" really overlap with my personal preferences. My two most wanteds are from an indie and a game series that's only sold five million copies or so over the course of almost 35 years and has had a shaky translation history up until recently, respectively, so that should say a lot about my interests. Y'know, when you lay it out like that it makes me seem like I'd mainly be a PC gamer and not a Nintendo one

I suppose that's been influencing my paranoia around the frontrunners, at least subconsciously. Confirmation bias towards what I want and against what I'm not into and all that.
The funny thing for me is that characters that I would personally love to see are pretty big but aren't seen as frontrunners for one reason or another. As long as they're new series that a large number of people are happy to see in Smash, I'll be very happy.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Oh Miyamoto.

Well, I don't question him. I'd be pretty weak against catgirls. But I don't encourage genetically-engineered catgirls since I'm more certain "CATS"girls will happen rather than the catgirls people want.

All that aside, I'm legitimately curious what he thinks about Peachette, Bowser and the Super Crown. Especially considering it almost actually happened in Odyssey.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, I don't question him. I'd be pretty weak against catgirls. But I don't encourage genetically-engineered catgirls since I'm more certain "CATS"girls will happen rather than the catgirls people want.

All that aside, I'm legitimately curious what he thinks about Peachette, Bowser and the Super Crown. Especially considering it almost actually happened in Odyssey.
Darkest timeline

We've gone too far, go back.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

”CATS”girls
DO NOT BRING THAT EVIL UPON US

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I don't think you were referring to an old internet meme, but when I see "CATS" written like that, I think of this:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Mark my words, Bowsette WILL become canon.

One of these days...

SKX31

Smash Master
Its gonna be interesting to see if/how conversations with third parties now ended up affecting which fighters will get in future games.

I can imagine Nintendo's had a lot of discussions with various companies and that even meetings with ones that didn't get characters now may have still laid the groundwork for them coming in later.
That's kinda complicated by the fact that a couple companies have changed hands post-Smash inclusion. Pointing this out since a couple corps could change hands further down the line, which may impact negotiations:

• SNK was during the negotiations owned by a couple Chinese corps, one of which was a Shanghai bank and the other a mobile game dev. Now the controlling owner is the MISK Foundation under the Saudi Crown Prince.
  • Leyou (and its subsidiary Digital Extremes) was its own when Lotus / Natah were included as Spirit. After some bidding between Tencent and Sony, Tencent acquired Leyou (and Digital Extremes) last year as part of Tencent's absurd buy-in-spree.
  • While WB Games is not part of Smash Bros yet, the on-going AT&T / Discovery deal may wind up affecting it depending on where the division(s) end up.

I wonder if he prefers Peach or Daisy.

...As fighters, of course. :roll:

Speaking of that meme, I just realized something: if Sakurai specified that he likes Pyra more as a fighter... does that mean he actually prefers Mythra in general? :4pacman:
Maybe? I'm fully convinced that Sakurai prefers Pyra as a fighter because Sakurai loves BIG attacks (every single DLC character has one, or a mechanic that allows BIG attacks), so... :4pacman:

WHAT YOU SAY?

Lol
SOMEBODY SET UP US THE BOMB

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What first party character do you think is the most likely, if this pass ends off with one?

Before Sephiroth was announced, I was thinking that Impa seemed plausible (between BotW2, Age of Calamity, and her redesign being really popular), but the Age of Calamity spirit event seemed to squash that idea. They could try to promote something, but there haven't been a ton of major first party releases recently. (maybe a gen. 8 Pokemon or one from Pokemon Legends: Arceus? I'm not sure if any stand out - I'm way behind on Pokemon)

I'd love it if we got something like Porky for Smash alongside a Mother/Earthbound trilogy getting released on the Switch, but I doubt that will happen.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
What first party character do you think is the most likely, if this pass ends off with one?

Before Sephiroth was announced, I was thinking that Impa seemed plausible (between BotW2, Age of Calamity, and her redesign being really popular), but the Age of Calamity spirit event seemed to squash that idea. They could try to promote something, but there haven't been a ton of major first party releases recently. (maybe a gen. 8 Pokemon or one from Pokemon Legends: Arceus? I'm not sure if any stand out - I'm way behind on Pokemon)

I'd love it if we got something like Porky for Smash alongside a Mother/Earthbound trilogy getting released on the Switch, but I doubt that will happen.
taps mic

clears throat

Euden.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I don't think you were referring to an old internet meme, but when I see "Cats" in all capitals, I think of this:

Nah, I wasn't. I was referring to the "movie musical that shall not be named". But seeing CATS and remembering Zero Wing was nice.
DO NOT BRING THAT EVIL UPON US
Then say no to genetically engineered catgirls. The catgirls most people want are literally human girls with cat ears, a cat tail, some noticeable cat fangs and the language of The Knights who Say Nyah. I'm pretty sure there's next to no genetic modifying needed for that whereas actual genetic modifying will give us something much less wanted.
But as a cat lover, if even a catgirl that looked like the actors from CATS ended up on my doorstep, I'd still take care of them, since I know either no one else will take care of them or some dangerous people will do bad things to them.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Say hello to this little octopus friend:
🐙
Why does it not want to show preview 😭 it’s the octoling girl

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion

I'm gonna have to agree with the guy who said Euden, since he'd be repping a new series, repping a mobile game, and has had a decent amount of success and profits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom