• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master
I would chalk up NSO's lack of titles to some third-party companies not wanting to have their classic titles available through a service/they have other plans to release their classic titles....

....but then Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound are strangely absent and we still aren't getting N64 titles almost two years after the SNES games started to get added. Not to mention all it seems we get are games nobody cares about or obscure cult classics.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Idk about y'all, but that Nintendo REDACTED stuff really screams imminent Game Pass announcement to me. I don't think Nintendo would be jumping through hoops to hide it if something wasn't coming of it.
I do. It's Nintendo. They would redact an internal conversation over how blue to make Mario's overalls.

I certainly hope something comes of this, though. Nintendo and Microsoft clearly have something in the works.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Idk about y'all, but that Nintendo REDACTED stuff really screams imminent Game Pass announcement to me. I don't think Nintendo would be jumping through hoops to hide it if something wasn't coming of it.
Certainly seems that way - I'd be genuinely shocked if we go this E3 without finally getting MCC Switch dropped on us, too. Sounds like some exciting collaborations on the horizon, whatever it may be.

And the case for Master Chief at E3 grows ever stronger.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think if something does come out of this Microsoft thing I don't think it will be the full on game pass I think it will be the xCloud version of it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Quick question; would Fighters Pass sales have increased any if Sans was the Mii costume you get when purchasing Vol. 1 and Cuphead was the Mii costume you get when purchasing Vol. 2?
Yes

Because I don't think the costumes they've chosen to be the incentives were much incentive at all. However, they're first party, so Nintendo doesn't have to factor that into their profit division.

Honestly I think it's great they add smaller more obscure stuff to the NSO libraries (assuming said stuff is atleast decent of course).

It'd still be nice if we got a bigger game here and there too to spice things up though.
Sure, it's nice to have all kinds of games. But I think the lack of notable third-party games is a pretty glaring weakness though, especially because the two systems currently on offer were the two Nintendo systems with the best third-party support.

There's a reason the VC was so well-regarded.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Didn't somebody claim that awhile ago?
There have been a few people to claim that. Zell, Jeff Grubb (sort of), Shpeshel Ed (or however you spell his name). Plus Microsoft keeps peppering their background dressing with Switches. And Phil Spencer, at least, is known to hint at things with his choice of decor. Don't see any PS5s back there.

There have been breadcrumbs here and there.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Quick question; would Fighters Pass sales have increased any if Sans was the Mii costume you get when purchasing Vol. 1 and Cuphead was the Mii costume you get when purchasing Vol. 2?
Probably yes, since the Mii Gunner's rise in popularity was caused by those two costumes.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
GBA and N64 games, for one.

But more importantly, I wouldn't fill the services we DO have with useless shovelware. Even some of the more divisive NES and SNES games deserve it more than some of the games in their services.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
"Master Chief? You mind telling me what you're doing at E3 this year?"

"Sir"

"Joining Smash."

View attachment 315748
If at any point the trailer has the choir doing their thing, my head does this

I've been fine with Chief since back when that would make you a pariah, so it would be nice to get some payoff for that once heresy

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The issue with niche ass titles being added to NSO is the infrequency of updates and Nintendo's ridiculous love of trickling down instead of giving people frequent updates with variety, they pulled this **** for the Wii U meaning it wouldn't get 64 games until the end of it's lifespan despite the Wii having had them years prior
To be fair, people complain whenever the opposite happens. Samus Returns gave you a legit reason to want the amiibo, and everyone got mad.
This is a weird argument, not just because it's locking off content from the main game, but because people already have a legit reason to want amiibo, they're collectable figures. The sheer novelty of a cheap figure of some of your favourite characters in cool poses haa always been a bigger selling point than "Oh if you scan it in game you get a neat bonus".

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
GBA and N64 games, for one.

But more importantly, I wouldn't fill the services we DO have with useless shovelware. Even some of the more divisive NES and SNES games deserve it more than some of the games in their services.
I think Nintendo has their hands tied on getting prolific third-party titles. They're going to have to change their system if they want a more rounded selection.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Still no Earthbound on the Switch.
I'm convinced they will release Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound separately and sell them for $5 on the eshop or something like that.
Pretty sure we won't see any N64 library either, Mario 64 being part of the All Stars package with Sunshine and Galaxy makes me believe that Nintendo still consider the N64 games worth selling at a high price, even if it's part of a bundle.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
This is a weird argument, not just because it's locking off content from the main game, but because people already have a legit reason to want amiibo, they're collectable figures. The sheer novelty of a cheap figure of some of your favourite characters in cool poses haa always been a bigger selling point than "Oh if you scan it in game you get a neat bonus".
Even though most people probably collect amiibo for the figures themselves that doesn't mean they never wanted a bigger incentive to purchase them. There's definitely a medium between too little content and too much content given from an amiibo.

I mean, Nintendo sells these things promising that they'll get you special perks in certain games. Not saying they have to lock an entire bonus chapter or an extra playable character behind an amiibo, but it'd be nice if the "perks" amounted to more than just, "You can use this amiibo in one specific game; it gives you a 1-Up Mushroom or an item that you could easily acquire somewhere else in the game for only a couple seconds of your time."

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I would chalk up NSO's lack of titles to some third-party companies not wanting to have their classic titles available through a service/they have other plans to release their classic titles....

....but then Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound are strangely absent and we still aren't getting N64 titles almost two years after the SNES games started to get added. Not to mention all it seems we get are games nobody cares about or obscure cult classics.
I get the reasoning behind NSO, personally I'd rather have the Virtual Console. There's so much potential with N64, GCN, and GBA games...

And yeah, Mother was really pushed during the Wii U era with one of the biggest eShop titles being EarthBound Beginnings, and then both games are absent... E3 2021, I humbly request you bring these games back and Mother 3. I acknowledge I have asked for Mother 3 for 11 years now, but I might as well keep going until I die.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Even though most people probably collect amiibo for the figures themselves that doesn't mean they never wanted a bigger incentive to purchase them. There's definitely a medium between too little content and too much content given from an amiibo.

I mean, Nintendo sells these things promising that they'll get you special perks in certain games. Not saying they have to lock an entire bonus chapter or an extra playable character behind an amiibo, but it'd be nice if the "perks" amounted to more than just, "You can use this amiibo in one specific game; it gives you a 1-Up Mushroom or an item that you could easily acquire somewhere else in the game for only a couple seconds of your time."
The bigger incentive is always figures of characters who rarely get them or figures of characters being affordable, as for the perks, I disagree, putting a big QoL change that vastly improves the experience isn't something that should be locked away behind on disk dlc, imagine if Wind Waker HD's improved sail could only be used with an amiibo, that'd male the game significantly worse. As for your examples of lackluster perks, the second one isn't even bad as seen in Kirby Robobot, you can get an ability whenever you want and that includes rare abilities that are either hidden away very well or behind 100%, for a game in which freedom of choice is a big deal, being able to pull a Milky Way Wishes of sorts isn't lackluster in the slightest

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The ideal amiibo bonus is a cool little extra connected to the character you scanned. Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World went all out on this - people like seeing Ness or Shulk or Robin as 8-bit Mario sprites they can control or as garish Yoshi palettes. Things like facilitating crossovers in games that otherwise wouldn't make sense for them are neat too (like the Codename STEAM Fire Emblem stuff, which you may know of from the 4 songs it got in Smash), although I still think those should be difficult unlocks.

It's just weird seeing a Shulk amiibo get made, be used for one 3DS port of the game for game-specific playcoins and then ignored in X, XB2, Torna and XBDE. Y'know?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I get the reasoning behind NSO, personally I'd rather have the Virtual Console. There's so much potential with N64, GCN, and GBA games...

And yeah, Mother was really pushed during the Wii U era with one of the biggest eShop titles being EarthBound Beginnings, and then both games are absent... E3 2021, I humbly request you bring these games back and Mother 3. I acknowledge I have asked for Mother 3 for 11 years now, but I might as well keep going until I die.
->Nintendo when they hear people still asking for Mother 3

Though a year later they announced Earthbound Beginnings.
If another person is burnt for asking Mother 3, we might get something Mother related at E3 2022.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
->Nintendo when they hear people still asking for Mother 3

Though a year later they announced Earthbound Beginnings.
If another person is burnt for asking Mother 3, we might get something Mother related at E3 2022.
The Mother 3 memes are just as relevant today as people still asking for the game itself to be localized. For that reason alone, I still believe that one day in the future, we will finally get a Westernized Mother 3. Wasn't the first Fire Emblem translated for the Switch? Or was that already localized and never released like Mother 1?

Regardless, I really do think it's possible and likely that all three Mother games will be released as a collection in the future, whether it be on the Switch or another console. Nintendo knows very well how much people love the games and the demand for Mother 3 remains to this day.

Mother is anything but a forgotten series. Ultimate is the best example of how much love and dedication the series gets. Itoi even launched the Hobinichi Mother Project last year to celebrate the series's 30th anniversary with lots of new official merch.

I shouldn't put all my eggs into one basket because it's also a very Nintendo thing to do if they never release all three games together, BUT I find it more likely Nintendo will want to capitalize on all the love in a big way someday. No matter what happens, it just makes me so happy that a once niche franchise known for the "PK Fire kid" is able to get the mainstream attention it deserves.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The Mother 3 memes are just as relevant today as people still asking for the game itself to be localized. For that reason alone, I still believe that one day in the future, we will finally get a Westernized Mother 3. Wasn't the first Fire Emblem translated for the Switch? Or was that already localized and never released like Mother 1?

Regardless, I really do think it's possible and likely that all three Mother games will be released as a collection in the future, whether it be on the Switch or another console. Nintendo knows very well how much people love the games and the demand for Mother 3 remains to this day.

Mother is anything but a forgotten series. Ultimate is the best example of how much love and dedication the series gets. Itoi even launched the Hobinichi Mother Project last year to celebrate the series's 30th anniversary with lots of new official merch.

I shouldn't put all my eggs into one basket because it's also a very Nintendo thing to do if they never release all three games together, BUT I find it more likely Nintendo will want to capitalize on all the love in a big way someday. No matter what happens, it just makes me so happy that a once niche franchise known for the "PK Fire kid" is able to get the mainstream attention it deserves.
In Europe, we finally had an official release for any Earthbound game in 2013.
People forget about us but Earthbound never release on the old continent. Only in America.
And I'm happy to see a franchise that started as being obscure got a good following over the years. Sure, it's not Pokemon or Mario level, but for a series with only three games, it's really amazing.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Projectile glitch

There I just dug up a can of worms for you all to play with for the next couple hours until you get bored. :4pacman:

I don't think it means anything but just imagine if it really was the Needler lol

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Projectile glitch

There I just dug up a can of worms for you all to play with for the next couple hours until you get bored. :4pacman:

I don't think it means anything but just imagine if it really was the Needler lol
Honestly the Needler sounds like another version of Shadow Flare in how it'd be implemented and Shadow Flare is ****ing dumb, I wholeheartedly support this idea

Shroob

Sup?
Wouldn't that be a double dip?

(Both Master Chief and Steve are from Microsoft)
Does double dipping matter?

Remember when a company wouldn't get a 2nd DLC character, and then Banjo and Steve?

Remember when a 3rd-party series already represented wouldn't get a DLC character, and then Sephiroth?

It'd definitely be a new experience for 2 characters from the same company in the same pass, but I'd argue that if any company would do it, it'd be Microsoft.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So many good choices...know what? Imma do the reverse of what the tweet says. See ya, Master Chief.
Hmm, if I pick Sora or Master Chief, I can still have Eggman as a Boss while I kill Crash. That's win-win.

But which one to pick...they're both massive gets...

Hmmm...I think Master Chief.

Honestly I think it's great they add smaller more obscure stuff to the NSO libraries (assuming said stuff is atleast decent of course).

It'd still be nice if we got a bigger game here and there too to spice things up though.
Maybe if they added more than 4 games every 2-3 months, they could do both.

2000% more games. And GB/GBC/GBA games.

But especially Little Samson.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Don't care about Crash, actively do not want Sora, and Eggman can at least be a really cool boss while other Sonic characters can still get in.

Master Chief, easily.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Does double dipping matter?

Remember when a company wouldn't get a 2nd DLC character, and then Banjo and Steve?

Remember when a 3rd-party series already represented wouldn't get a DLC character, and then Sephiroth?

It'd definitely be a new experience for 2 characters from the same company in the same pass, but I'd argue that if any company would do it, it'd be Microsoft.
At the same time though, it seems like "nah they can double dip" is used solely for Chief and Chief alone, and not, say, Lara Croft.

Shroob

Sup?
At the same time though, it seems like "nah they can double dip" is used solely for Chief and Chief alone, and not, say, Lara Croft.
I haven't seen anyone do that irt Laura.

Granted, I also rarely see Laura brought up outside of like, 2-3 users though. Hell, people still talk about Sora on the regular, and that'd be double dipping.

I think "double-dipping" is very much on the table.

I mean hell, if you wanna get technical, Nintendo's already done it this pass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom