• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
New amiibo announced, Zelda from Skyward Sword

And new NES/SNES games for the NSO

SNEKeater

Smash Master
In the meantime the best Fire Emblem game gets added to the NSO... only in Japan :(

If they're not planning to remake older entries anytime soon they should at least give these games the FE1 treatment they did not long ago.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The Skyloftwingbird amiibo unlocks... a fast travel variant? Hm. Not really selling me on this full price Wii game port, Nintendo.
Yeah, that's basically a quality of life improvement that should have been part of the HD remaster.

The amiibo itself looks great, Skyward Sword Zelda is probably my favorite version of the character so I might pick it up, but that feature should have been included with the game.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The Skyloftwingbird amiibo unlocks... a fast travel variant? Hm. Not really selling me on this full price Wii game port, Nintendo.
To be fair, people complain whenever the opposite happens. Samus Returns gave you a legit reason to want the amiibo, and everyone got mad.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
That amiibo looks really cool i'll probably pick it up assuming it doesn't get scalped immediately

People get really angry at SNES online for not adding big game after big game, And like the lack of Earthbound is very weird, but this is an opportunity for a lot of obscure games to be released on modern consoles, it's a necessary evil.

Shroob

Sup?
That amiibo looks really cool i'll probably pick it up assuming it doesn't get scalped immediately

People get really angry at SNES online for not adding big game after big game, And like the lack of Earthbound is very weird, but this is an opportunity for a lot of obscure games to be released on modern consoles, it's a necessary evil.
At this point, I almost unironically expect Earthbound to drop on the Eshop for like, 10-15 bucks.

Earthbound has always been an odd duck of VC releases, always being more expensive. I almost wonder if there's deals they have to cut with Itoi.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

FINALLY the NSO update

I was waiting for this

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is it common or weird to don’t know any of the snes/nes added this month to nso?

At least is something I guess (?)
It's common. There's a lot of obscure games for most systems(and even ones with few games might be obscure anyway due to being a barely known system).

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
To be fair, people complain whenever the opposite happens. Samus Returns gave you a legit reason to want the amiibo, and everyone got mad.
The middleground is unlocking new content relevant to the amiibo that doesn't give advantages, and if it does it can be unlocked in otherways. Things like fast travel and difficulty modes should just be menu options.

Mind there hasn't been a game that used amiibo in an interesting way for yonks. Giving old Zelda Smash amiibo the ability to unlock cosmetic weapons and outfits in BotW made them fly off shelves. Maybe BotW2 will bring that back and the Skyloft...

oh the Skyloft's gonna unlock a mount in BotW like how Wolf Link from TPHD unlocked a companion, calling it now

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Spanky's Quest in Smash. Discuss.
In the meantime the best Fire Emblem game gets added to the NSO... only in Japan :(

If they're not planning to remake older entries anytime soon they should at least give these games the FE1 treatment they did not long ago.
Related:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

This actually kind of bums me out, as it means that an FE4 remake is 95% not happening in the near future. Which sucks, since Genealogy is the Fire Emblem that would benefit most from the tweaking, rebalancing, and expansion that a remake would bring. The plot, cast, and setting are 10/10, so adding things like support conversations and extra scenes that integrate info from stuff like Kaga's interviews and notes would only benefit the experience.

I guess that means we're getting a Binding Blade or Path of Radiance remake if the rumours are to be believed. On the one hand, I get it, it's time for IS to cash out on that :ultroy:/:ultike: popularity and let people experience their games without emulation. However, Binding Blade and especially Path of Radiance hold up fine. Binding Blade's cast could probably benefit from some more characterization, but there are also 54 playable units in Binding Blade so good luck with that. IMO, here's where the rereleases should be focused, not Genealogy.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord

This actually kind of bums me out, as it means that an FE4 remake is 95% not happening in the near future. Which sucks, since Genealogy is the Fire Emblem that would benefit most from the tweaking, rebalancing, and expansion that a remake would bring. The plot, cast, and setting are 10/10, so adding things like support conversations and extra scenes that integrate info from stuff like Kaga's interviews and notes would only benefit the experience.

I guess that means we're getting a Binding Blade or Path of Radiance remake if the rumours are to be believed. On the one hand, I get it, it's time for IS to cash out on that :ultroy:/:ultike: popularity and let people experience their games without emulation. However, Binding Blade and especially Path of Radiance hold up fine. Binding Blade's cast could probably benefit from some more characterization, but there are also 54 playable units in Binding Blade so good luck with that. IMO, here's where the rereleases should be focused, not Genealogy.
That seems doubtful to me tbh. Couldn't you purchase Fire Emblem Gaiden on Virtual Console at the same time you could buy Shadows of Valentia? Plus They seem intent on remaking all the old ones if they even went back to Gaiden. But you are on to something. I have thought for a while that maybe Three Houses was worked on as a stand-in for a remake of Genealogy of the Holy War because it reuses a lot of the same themes. Timeskip, magical blood powers, an emphasis on the intricacies and consequences of nobility and monarchy...

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
That seems doubtful to me tbh. Couldn't you purchase Fire Emblem Gaiden on Virtual Console at the same time you could buy Shadows of Valentia? Plus They seem intent on remaking all the old ones if they even went back to Gaiden. But you are on to something. I have thought for a while that maybe Three Houses was worked on as a stand-in for a remake of Genealogy of the Holy War because it reuses a lot of the same themes. Timeskip, magical blood powers, an emphasis on the intricacies and consequences of nobility and monarchy...
Gaiden was available on the 3DS' Japanese Virtual Console when Shadows of Valentia was released, but it was also added 4 years prior to Shadows of Valentia's release and likely before IS had even considered remaking Gaiden.

The fact that Genealogy is the oldest Fire Emblem without a remake and that Three Houses revisited so many of its themes (albeit doing things differently, such as having the time skip be 5 years instead of 20 and Edelgard and Dimitri deconstructing the Emperor and Lord archetypes in a way that differs from Arvis and Sigurd) was what had actually given me hope for a remake. However, after this news, I just can't see IS giving the go-ahead on an NSO release of a game that is going to be resold as a full-priced experience in the near future.

Then again, I could be (and I'm hoping) that I'm wrong.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
And yet again Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings gets shafted. I hope it does mean an Earthbound collection being in the works.
GOD PLEASE JUST LET ME HAVE EARTHBOUND AND BEGINNINGS ON MODERN CONSOLES AND MOTHER 3 AS WELL. Sorry, that was uncalled for. I am just very passionate lol.

ZelDan

Smash Master
After Three Houses I'm not sure I'm gamer enough to play without the rewind feature to some degree so if we can add that in to Elibe/Tellius remakes I'm all for it

Well, that and, y'know, being able to play the games in the first place.
Well, to be fair, you could always get a copy of Tellius games now if you wanted. You might have to trade in a kidney to the black market to afford it, but you could do it...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, to be fair, you could always get a copy of Tellius games now if you wanted. You might have to trade in a kidney to the black market to afford it, but you could do it...
And seeing as I already sold both my kidneys and my spleen a couple months ago in a demented ritual to ensure the last two would be Adol and Reimu... Uh...
1621391776982.png

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
A couple of months ago, a couple of my friends were buying a used PS2 and one of them said that it didn't make sense for games from that era to be expensive and that they were all getting ripped off.

He quickly changed his tune when I showed him the average price for Path of Radiance on eBay.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Brain Age turns 16 today!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Pic of the Day:

Brain Age turns 16 today!
I guess you can say Brain Age has... AGED well?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
And yet again Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings gets shafted. I hope it does mean an Earthbound collection being in the works.
I think we might still be getting them somehow, and the wait is just because they want it give it a big fanfare. I mean, Iwata himself announced EarthBound on Wii U months before release -
And EarthBound: Beginnings was revealed at the pre-show of the Nintendo World Championships in 2015.
Since then EarthBound was also on the N3DS Virtual Console and the Super Nintendo Mini.
So if they have any plans for anything EB related they're probably gonna make a big deal out of it, which means waiting for E3. Gotta milk it for all the attention they can.

On that note, I replayed and beat EB:B, and I'm up to Deep Darkness in EB. Really great series, rekindled my love for it. Even ordered a Mini Mr. Saturn and a Franklin Badge from the official Mother merchandise store ...and I still think Porky is a dumb addition lmao.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Hmm..... I wonder how the reception is to Nintendo adding games no one cares about for the 50th time while ignoring the stuff people actually want.

Youtube dislikes:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Hmm..... I wonder how the reception is to Nintendo adding games no one cares about for the 50th time while ignoring the stuff people actually want.
Time to repost this spiel from like 10 posts ago.

This is probably the only time most of these games will get rereleased so it's a necessary evil in that regard.

Virtual Console was 100% better tho.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm just happy that they're adding Magical Drop, personally. NSO's lineup may be lackluster to some but with Puyo Puyo and Panel de Pon alone I've gotten more mileage out of the service than most people begging for big ticket SNES games probably have, lmao.

Speaking of which, there's quite a bit on there I've been meaning to replay. The library isn't all that bad, really. The service itself is flawed but I'm kinda glad I don't have to actively pay for these games again. It just sucks that Nintendo seems to have no plans to bring any other classic consoles to the Switch outside of overpriced port collections.

If there's anything I want more of, it's localizing Japan only stuff like Panel de Pon. FE4 would have been nice but it's understandable why they'd hesitate on an extremely text-driven game. Sutte Hakkun is another amazing puzzler that doesn't particularly need a translation and I'd love to have on my Switch - highly recommend to those who haven't heard of it and are looking for a charming mental exercise.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Big
energy with those NSO additions, like usual.

Nintendo sees unique value in leveraging the Mother series games to capitalize off the esteem in which they are held, and we won't see any of them just dropped unceremoniously on the NSO. They'll definitely be used strategically to incentivize or mitigate some future development.

Is it common or weird to don’t know any of the snes/nes added this month to nso?

At least is something I guess (?)
It's pretty common because Nintendo can't seem to license many of the more well-known ones, so we get a lot of obscure stuff from smaller companies.

And seeing as I already sold both my kidneys and my spleen a couple months ago in a demented ritual to ensure the last two would be Adol and Reimu... Uh...
View attachment 315742
Unfortunately those have little use to Sakurai. Should've sold him your tendons or let him siphon off some of your youth. Sounds like you got played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom