• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe the pandemic affected amiibo production? It’s totally possible

of new amiibo that is
It's sad too, cause it might mean we won't get an Alex one either. At least Mythra is guaranteed since she's her own fighter member.

I was very disappointed in no Erdrick amiibo as is. Just only Luminary. I get that it's a lot of extra licensing for that(amiibo clearly are far harder to work with and can't even release in a similar order to the character releases. We got PP, albeit partially cause it's pure first party but also for promotional reasons before any Pokemon, veteran or not. Though they're more 2nd party, so that makes sense). It's possible we could get Pyra/Mythra before Steve/Alex and Sephiroth if the issue relates to licensing. However, I doubt this as the rest were in order. But as you said, the pandemic is a different factor, so...

PacificFun

Smash Ace
So like...I found this...

Its the most recognized video game characters in the USA from a poll from roughly 600 Millienals. Now, that's a laughably small pool to ask from but I'll bite. According to that poll, these are the most recognized video game characters in the USA:
20210518_132908.jpg

So even though this is just a dumb poll, I still think it's fun to see the potential most iconic video game characters out there.

Remember, don't take this that seriously as the rest of the results are...questionable. But for the USA, I could believe this.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Its the most recognized video game characters in the USA from a poll from roughly 600 Millienals. Now, that's a laughably small pool to ask from but I'll bite. According to that poll, these are the most recognized video game characters in the USA:
View attachment 315686

So even though this is just a dumb poll, I still think it's fun to see the potential most iconic video game characters out there.

Remember, don't take this that seriously as the rest of the results are...questionable. But for the USA, I could believe this.
Y'know, I'm pretty sure we've seen this poll before...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We...have?

no seriously have we? This is the first time I’ve seen it
It was posted some pages back.

I don't consider it good since it forgot to list Steve, a major gaming character. So... it's pretty bad, imo. Even ignoring the joke selection of real life people(not that they aren't recognizable), it's missing a massive gaming icon. I can't take that seriously at all.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Personally, nowadays Mega Man's Smash look feels a little weird to me. It made sense when the latest games were Mega Man 9 and 10, and there weren't really any 3D games in the series besides Powered Up (which is honestly pretty close). So obviously you want to base it off of the NES sprite because that's, like, quintessential Mega Man. But now we've got Mega Man 11, and that's got a 3D Mega Man that looks a lot closer to the official art - and I suspect that'll stick. With that in mind, Smash's weirdly stout take looks... a little off.

Shroob

Sup?
Personally, nowadays Mega Man's Smash look feels a little weird to me. It made sense when the latest games were Mega Man 9 and 10, and there weren't really any 3D games in the series besides Powered Up (which is honestly pretty close). So obviously you want to base it off of the NES sprite because that's, like, quintessential Mega Man. But now we've got Mega Man 11, and that's got a 3D Mega Man that looks a lot closer to the official art - and I suspect that'll stick. With that in mind, Smash's weirdly stout take looks... a little off.
The Smash characters are more or less based on their more iconic looks, and I'd argue that sprite-Megaman is way more iconic than how he looks in 7, 8 or 11.

It's why Simon looks like a he-man knockoff from the 80's then the red-headed edgelord redesign, or Pac looks like he does as opposed to Ghostly Adventures.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I was kinda hoping they'd use his Mega Man 8 appearance. This may or may not have something to do with MVC1/2's Mega Man and Roll being based on MM8.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Smash characters are more or less based on their more iconic looks, and I'd argue that sprite-Megaman is way more iconic than how he looks in 7, 8 or 11.

It's why Simon looks like a he-man knockoff from the 80's then the red-headed edgelord redesign, or Pac looks like he does as opposed to Ghostly Adventures.
Man, I wish I knew a better way to describe Pac-Man's secondary design. Since it was used later on for GA, but wasn't made for it.

Well, that's what happens when a bad work comes out. You become famous for it(that said, I still enjoyed some concepts of the show. The Ghosts being all unique was cool, and having him the son of Pac-Man isn't a bad idea in itself. But if anything, they at least made it clear he's not the Pac-Man in this case, but a different person of the same species. Arguably they saved the character a tad, since normal Pac-Man doesn't look like that). It's still a bleh show otherwise, due to poor writing, poor jokes, etc.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

If you really wanna get technical, the most iconic Pac-Man design is :ultpacman: . You know it's true.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If you really wanna get technical, the most iconic Pac-Man design is :ultpacman: . You know it's true.
It is, but even back in the arcade days they were using Pac's Smash look on the side of machines.

Pac's Pizza design is iconic, but I'd argue his other form is as well.
And either way Pac-Man tends to suddenly regress to his retro pizza-sphere design for his attacks so that's still represented anyways

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
...Which is why it's part of his moveset. Sooooooo, it's handled.

Also, what Shroob said. They're both iconic and were used up until the reboot design(which then got used for Ghost Adventures, and is pretty much treated like a GA thing when that's not entirely accurate. Not that it matters, since the reboot design was unpopular regardless).

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Headline's a bit misleading
There was a problem fetching the tweet
The only timeframe we've really been given for Genshin Switch was "Sometime later." They're just giving some insight as to the development; Nothing's actually changed
Not falling for clickbait articles again

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
oh yeah. it’s all coming together.

wait nevermind
I think they need to make sure it works on Switch hardware that DEFINITELY exists first.

BTW what's the weakest phone Genshin can run on, and how does it compare to the Switch's hardware?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think they need to make sure it works on Switch hardware that DEFINITELY exists first.

BTW what's the weakest phone Genshin can run on, and how does it compare to the Switch's hardware?
I think they’re basing it off the PC/PS4 version, not the phone version

btw I have an iPhone 8 Plus, tried Genshin for a bit, I do recall it being kiiiiinda laggy

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Mega Man sprite work, I always wanted to see something based off the Wily Wars design; always felt like a good compromise between the stout NES aesthetic and the lankier SNES/PS1 looks.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think a big problem with Bass being a Megaman echo is the proportions Smash gave Megaman and basing him off his earlier Sprite design rather than the taller version from later games in the series. I think Bass would look a little weird shrunken down to Smash Megaman’s size.
You mean...exactly the way he looks in MM10?

Yeah, Bass wouldn't work here. He's fine in concept, but MegaMan isn't the correct shape in this case.
They're the exact same size in every game that they both appear in. The only difference is Bass wears a bigger hat.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
FP2 is supposed to be over by December 31. But do you actually think they'll make us wait that long or not?
Assuming there's one character revealed at E3, does it mean we would wait around six more months for the final character? Or will the pass finally manage to be finished before the deadline?
I'm thinking October or possibly September for the last character

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Bad news for Genshin Impact fans.

It’s been delayed on the Switch.
Headline's a bit misleading

The only timeframe we've really been given for Genshin Switch was "Sometime later." They're just giving some insight as to the development; Nothing's actually changed
It's been kind of a meme for a while. I'm glad it's been confirmed for this year... but I'd rather keep playing on PC.

But I guess that's another F2P game that I like that will get a Switch version and thus Nintendo connections, hmmm? :4pacman:

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 315686

Yeah, the results are pretty questionable. As this relates to Smash, I would argue even being considered "iconic" is too subjective compared to measuring game sales or outright Smash fan demand. Sometimes the series may be iconic but individual characters aren't as much. With that in mind and more, you also don't really need to be iconic to get in even if you're a third-party such as Bayonetta, Joker, Hero, or Terry. Also, it's way more interesting to look at the other 26 characters. Some interesting choices... some very interesting results.
01a.png

Some things about the poll results are really really weird but funny. For instance, Gordon Freeman and Doom Slayer aren't even on the list but Duke Nukem is and ranks pretty high. Higher the GLaDOS from Portal or Shadow from Sonic. I love Duke but the numbers don't really add up.

Metroid isn't that huge of a game series but Samus ranked higher than Kratos. Sure, you could point to Smash helping here but Master Hand and Meta Knight are big players in the Smash series yet they both rank lower than Trevor Philips from GTA V. I would argue GTA as a series is iconic but the protagonists always being shuffled out makes them just naturally less iconic. Also, they only ranked one GTA series character and not one of the two that recently arguably became more iconic through huge memes.

Also, Marcus Fenix ranked higher up in recognizability compared to Master Hand, Meta Knight, Trevor Philips, John Marston, and GLaDOS... Really?? No disrespect to this character, the game, or the fans, but I didn't have any idea who Marcus Fenix was till I looked it up just now. He's the protagonist of some Gears of War games. I could imagine some people know of the series in passing like me, but I can't imagine many recognizing the character by name. Especially considering the series of 5 games as a whole has sold less than Red Dead Redemption II did alone and has sold around the same amount as Smash Bros Ultimate did, so that's the same fans owning multiple games in the series compared to most unique people buying a new game once. Also, it's so weird to see Gears of War on the list but not Assassin's Creed or even Call of Duty. They're all from that generation of gaming and with them being multiplatform instead of console exclusive, I would argue they have a higher chance to be recognized.

I have a feeling Arthur Morgan would've likely passed John Marston in terms of being recognized by now since I'm pretty sure that Arthur's game sold more than John's did in the weekend of the release. I'm not sure though.

I also completely forgot Ganondorf's last name was "Dragmire". Is that actual canon?? I don't remember.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
With less than a month from E3 I'm a bit excited for what's to come. I don't know who the final two characters are and honestly I've given up at predicting who it might be, it really could be anyone.

I'm less interactive on this site than I once was before but I'll still stick around for E3 and when the final character is close to reveal. Most characters I really want to see playable are either deconfirmed or unlikely, it's hard to keep speculating on who is coming when you don't have the motivation to do so, but hey, it was a fun ride even if it started losing momentum at the end.

The only thing I want from the last two characters is for them to have banger reveal trailers even if they aren't necessarily characters I want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom