• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
With less than a month from E3 I'm a bit excited for what's to come. I don't know who the final two characters are and honestly I've given up at predicting who it might be, it really could be anyone.

I'm less interactive on this site than I once was before but I'll still stick around for E3 and when the final character is close to reveal. Most characters I really want to see playable are either deconfirmed or unlikely, it's hard to keep speculating on who is coming when you don't have the motivation to do so, but hey, it was a fun ride even if it started losing momentum at the end.

The only thing I want from the last two characters is for them to have banger reveal trailers even if they aren't necessarily characters I want.
I'm reasonably optimistic. That's all I really got to say.

Also, I love your profile picture!

When E3 comes and goes, and if Crash isn't one of the last two fighters revealed, what picture do you guys see his supporters spamming Nintendo's social media with? I'm just asking out of morbid curiosity.
I just imagine it'll be different gifs of Crash Bandicoot death animations right?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Yeah, the results are pretty questionable. As this relates to Smash, I would argue even being considered "iconic" is too subjective compared to measuring game sales or outright Smash fan demand. Sometimes the series may be iconic but individual characters aren't as much. With that in mind and more, you also don't really need to be iconic to get in even if you're a third-party such as Bayonetta, Joker, Hero, or Terry. Also, it's way more interesting to look at the other 26 characters. Some interesting choices... some very interesting results.
Some things about the poll results are really really weird but funny. For instance, Gordon Freeman and Doom Slayer aren't even on the list but Duke Nukem is and ranks pretty high. Higher the GLaDOS from Portal or Shadow from Sonic. I love Duke but the numbers don't really add up.

Metroid isn't that huge of a game series but Samus ranked higher than Kratos. Sure, you could point to Smash helping here but Master Hand and Meta Knight are big players in the Smash series yet they both rank lower than Trevor Philips from GTA V. I would argue GTA as a series is iconic but the protagonists always being shuffled out makes them just naturally less iconic. Also, they only ranked one GTA series character and not one of the two that recently arguably became more iconic through huge memes.

Also, Marcus Fenix ranked higher up in recognizability compared to Master Hand, Meta Knight, Trevor Philips, John Marston, and GLaDOS... Really?? No disrespect to this character, the game, or the fans, but I didn't have any idea who Marcus Fenix was till I looked it up just now. He's the protagonist of some Gears of War games. I could imagine some people know of the series in passing like me, but I can't imagine many recognizing the character by name. Especially considering the series of 5 games as a whole has sold less than Red Dead Redemption II did alone and has sold around the same amount as Smash Bros Ultimate did, so that's the same fans owning multiple games in the series compared to most unique people buying a new game once. Also, it's so weird to see Gears of War on the list but not Assassin's Creed or even Call of Duty. They're all from that generation of gaming and with them being multiplatform instead of console exclusive, I would argue they have a higher chance to be recognized.

I have a feeling Arthur Morgan would've likely passed John Marston in terms of being recognized by now since I'm pretty sure that Arthur's game sold more than John's did in the weekend of the release. I'm not sure though.

I also completely forgot Ganondorf's last name was "Dragmire". Is that actual canon?? I don't remember.
I really don't think there's any reason to doubt these results.

Duke Nukem, Samus, Marcus Fenix, and Arthur Morgan can largely be explained by the fact that this poll was exclusively millennials, meaning everyone sampled grew and likely invested the most time playing games between 1995 and 2010. This is a generation that grew when Duke Nukem 3D, Metroid Prime, and the first three Gears of War were some of the biggest games on the American market. Samus also has the reputation of being one of gaming's leading ladies, so a lot of people who have never played Metroid still know the character through cultural osmosis. Likewise, I imagine much of the sample either only played or invested more time into Red Dead Redemption than its sequel simply because the former came out at a more opportune time than the latter.

Trevor Phillips likely beat out all other GTA protagonists simply because he's more memorable to an average consumer. That's not to say the other protagonists are poorly written or anything, but Trevor is the Joseph Joestar of Grand Theft Auto. His actions and personality are so outrageous and deviate so far from the genre's standards that he immediately stands out in people's minds.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Damn we got 73 guests did we ever reach that much in the past

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
When E3 comes and goes, and if Crash isn't one of the last two fighters revealed, what picture do you guys see his supporters spamming Nintendo's social media with? I'm just asking out of morbid curiosity.
I imagine we'll get the exact same situation as Waluigi, where the same three screencaps of a fan going too far are shared around to prove that the character is either unfit for Smash because they're "toxic" (as if a character's belonging in Smash is somehow impacted by that) or how the Smash fanbase is the most toxic and terrible on Earth.

The best part is, this is inevitable. If Crash does get announced, the next biggest on the chopping block will be used instead.

SKX31

Smash Master
Some things about the poll results are really really weird but funny. For instance, Gordon Freeman and Doom Slayer aren't even on the list but Duke Nukem is and ranks pretty high. Higher the GLaDOS from Portal or Shadow from Sonic. I love Duke but the numbers don't really add up.
That in particular made me think that's a poll that primarily asked console gamers (or even more so Nintendo fans / people who grew up in the 90s).

If the poll were to ask those who primarily play computer games, Gordon would've ranked highly, but so would Steve and Jonesy (who are missing - edit: and so would a LoL character come to think of it). Which feels strange since Kerrigan actually is on there - and she's very much a PC-centric character. If mobile gamers are asked, chances are pretty good that Angry Birds' Red, Candy Crush's mascot and Clash of Clans' barbarian guy (IDK) place rather highly.

If the poll combined all three or made a more cohesive overview the results would've been more accurate, needless to say.

Damn we got 73 guests did we ever reach that much in the past
Hold on.

guests.png

I saved this image 2nd November last year, ca. 18.00 EST (midnight my time).

And that's probably not the most this board has had given its history (I'd imagine even more during the Melee / Brawl days, what with the hype surrounding Brawl + the intense firestorm over tier lists / the "casual vs. competitive conflict" that also occured on GameFAQS, but also raged on these boards).

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Here's some more confidential info from the Epic vs Apple trial that are making it's way to the public. This time it includes possible negotiations with Microsoft and Nintendo in including Game Pass to the Switch. The deal could've been dropped instead of it succeeding, but either way it seems negotiations did happen.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's some more confidential info from the Epic vs Apple trial that are making it's way to the public. This time it includes possible negotiations with Microsoft and Nintendo in including Game Pass to the Switch. The deal could've been dropped instead of it succeeding, but either way it seems negotiations did happen.

This is how the Steep Switch port finally wins.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Its gonna be odd when it turns out this entire negotiation to get Game Pass (and thus Microsoft conent) on Switch was all done to justify including Blinx in the next Smash Bros.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Plot Twist. Nothing was actually redacted, Nintendo and Microsoft Executives just write in ominous black rectangles.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
I really don't think there's any reason to doubt these results.

Duke Nukem, Samus, Marcus Fenix, and Arthur Morgan can largely be explained by the fact that this poll was exclusively millennials, meaning everyone sampled grew and likely invested the most time playing games between 1995 and 2010. This is a generation that grew when Duke Nukem 3D, Metroid Prime, and the first three Gears of War were some of the biggest games on the American market. Samus also has the reputation of being one of gaming's leading ladies, so a lot of people who have never played Metroid still know the character through cultural osmosis. Likewise, I imagine much of the sample either only played or invested more time into Red Dead Redemption than its sequel simply because the former came out at a more opportune time than the latter.

Trevor Phillips likely beat out all other GTA protagonists simply because he's more memorable to an average consumer. That's not to say the other protagonists are poorly written or anything, but Trevor is the Joseph Joestar of Grand Theft Auto. His actions and personality are so outrageous and deviate so far from the genre's standards that he immediately stands out in people's minds.
I'm not really trying to trash the results or characters chosen that much, it more or less makes sense given it's only polling a small sample of American Millenials but it's still a little odd when looking at the more objective sales numbers to me (I know that wouldn't necessarily correlate perfectly with the polling here but still). Not completely off, just a little funny. Master Hand appears right at the beginning of Smash 64 yet he's so low is a good example of what I mean.

I understand why those characters were likely chosen by the list creators but I'd still argue some of the choices are a little odd like no Half-Life, Doom, or Mortal Kombat. I also kinda wish to see know just out of morbid curiosity if John or Arthur would be more recognizable to these 600ish people. Considering Red Dead II's numbers, it's likely 99% of the people who played the first game played the second one and that includes new millennials just deciding to jump in.

You're pretty much right with Trevor as he and his actor became huge deals around 2013 when the game first came out, but I think it's fair to Millenials don't live in a vacuum either, I'm assuming many still play a rated M game like GTA and have nostalgic memories about San Andreas and may have more clear memory on recent memes like Big Smoke and CJ. Likewise, the Franklin and Lamar blowing up recently to the level GTA is today probably places Franklin right alongside Trevor in terms of recognizability. The power memes have is strong. Who knows how many of those Millenials even got their YouTube recommended flooded with that meme anyway though right? I guess that could go certainly go either way. In the end, I guess doesn't really matter to our Smash speculation. It's just a fun list and I wanted to see how more characters stacked up, especially from the same series.

Tying it back a little more to Smash speculation, I noticed that makes this list a little less useful is how Lara Croft is at the top and Sephiroth closer to the bottom... considering who got into Smash, yeah they're probably going with more objective numbers, broader demographics, and a more worldwide view which isn't surprising. Unless they double dip this Pass which I just feel would be unlikely. It is a little bit of a shame because I feel a character like Lara Croft would have a lot of interesting stuff to bring into Smash moveset wise.

That in particular made me think that's a poll that primarily asked console gamers (or even more so Nintendo fans / people who grew up in the 90s).

If the poll were to ask those who primarily play computer games, Gordon would've ranked highly, but so would Steve and Jonesy (who are missing). Which feels strange since Kerrigan actually is on there - and she's very much a PC-centric character. If mobile gamers are asked, chances are pretty good that Angry Birds' Red, Candy Crush's mascot and Clash of Clans' barbarian guy (IDK) place rather highly.

If the poll combined all three or made a more cohesive overview the results would've been more accurate, needless to say.
Duke Nukem's biggest game was Duke Nukem 3D. That was primarily a PC game so that's one of the big reasons it was weird to see him. Doom and Half-Life also got console ports. I guess Duke Nukem did have a few Nintendo games like on the N64, GBA, and Nintendo DS... maybe that helped him in terms of being recognizable with the people voting who primarily only knew about Nintendo games?

You know what? Screw it, Duke Nukem at E3 or bust!!!

Paraster

Smash Lord

If Game Pass comes to Switch, how would it work? Would they port the games over or would it be a cloud system?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So many good choices...know what? Imma do the reverse of what the tweet says. See ya, Master Chief.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So many good choices...know what? Imma do the reverse of what the tweet says. See ya, Master Chief.
Maybe it's just Mandela Effect kicking in, but I feel like I've seen a lot of "Choose one of these guys" tweets before and they all have the same general characters to choose from

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Maybe it's just Mandela Effect kicking in, but I feel like I've seen a lot of "Choose one of these guys" tweets before and they all have the same general characters to choose from
It's an extremely cheap way to farm engagements, one rung below the "1 like = 1 answer" stuff

SKX31

Smash Master
It's an extremely cheap way to farm engagements, one rung below the "1 like = 1 answer" stuff
TBF I could see the reason why those tweets stay within the same general confines though: Getting as many people as possible to vote on the topic at hand and going with characters most involved will at least be somewhat familiar with. That and there's always the case where some people seeing those tweets will never have been deeply in speculation. I strongly doubt HBox dabbles much in speculation given that a lot of his attention is still at Melee - where he first became well known - Ultimate's competitive scene and clickbait content creation.

Then again, now I want Tweek (linking to this again shamelessly) to tweet a similar question, only with these characters:

• Porky
  • Chun-Li
  • Conker
  • King Bomb-omb.

And just watch the ensuing carnage. (All four characters were mentioned in the linked podcast)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Stick around long enough and it won't be the same characters. It would never have been those four characters prior to last year. Circa Smash 4 the only one that might be there is Sora, it definitely would've been at least three different choices. People focusing on the most popular characters is nothing new, but who those characters are will shift over time.

Hold on.

View attachment 315699

I saved this image 2nd November last year, ca. 18.00 EST (midnight my time).

And that's probably not the most this board has had given its history (I'd imagine even more during the Melee / Brawl days, what with the hype surrounding Brawl + the intense firestorm over tier lists / the "casual vs. competitive conflict" that also occured on GameFAQS, but also raged on these boards).
November 2nd, 2020? What was going on then?

But yeah I imagine during the Grinch leak we peaked higher than that.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wish Smash Ultimate had this funny song in its library:

Aw heck no! Anything but that! Not really that good, in my opinion.

SKX31

Smash Master
November 2nd, 2020? What was going on then?

But yeah I imagine during the Grinch leak we peaked higher than that.
Aaaaand after some digging, found Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura 's post (I took the guest screenshot 15 minutes after this occured, because she asked a similar question back then):

So uh

I’m hearing someone is trying to DDOS the Geno thread like what happened with Rayman a few months ago

i know we all have differing opinions about that place but can we all agree that DDOSing is a real ****ty thing to do? You’re even making people who aren’t Geno supporters suffer
So, yeah, that low point happened that day.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Well I choose Sora obviously. I'd hate never ever land. Eggman second.

Hey guys, You are given a special invitation from Sakurai to GUARANTEE one of these characters becomes the next DLC for Ultimate.

However, he will immediately de-confirm the others from ever becoming Smash characters.

Who are you choosing?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Obviously Crash is my best bet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom