• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So, speaking of things owned by Disney, does that mean games like Ultimate Alliance and SE's Avenger only contain Disney in their copyright? I feel like any game that has a bunch of element from Disney is an automatic property.
I would assume they do unless Disney said **** it and dropped Marvel
They were mentioning Square characters. Sora's owned by Disney so he's not technically a Square character. I believe that was the reason.
Oh lol that is my bad, just woke up, wasnt reading right

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
So, speaking of things owned by Disney, does that mean games like Ultimate Alliance and SE's Avenger only contain Disney in their copyright or should I say Marvel? I feel like any game that has a bunch of element from Disney is an automatic property.
I just booted up MUA3 and it says "(C) Marvel (C) Nintendo Developed by KOEI TECMO GAMES". There's also no mention of Disney during the credits.

So basically, Disney is the absolute parent company, but doesn't have to be credited as copyright holder if they're not involved. I believe it's been this way ever since Disney first purchased Marvel and Star Wars, they only make their branding visible if it actually benefits them to do so.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, speaking of things owned by Disney, does that mean games like Ultimate Alliance and SE's Avenger only contain Disney in their copyright or should I say Marvel? I feel like any game that has a bunch of element from Disney is an automatic property.
That's....difficult. As far as I know, Disney just owns the movie rights to Marvel, not the entirety of Marvel itself, right? Or did they buy the entire company? I forget at this point. I know they bought the rights to Star Wars and Lucas Arts, so they own all of that, but when it comes to Marvel I forget whether they just purchased Movie rights or the whole company itself.

On the other hand, it may not matter. I think Marvel is treated like Pixar within Disney. It's all under the 'Disney Umbrella' but still its own division, so when credited, I believe you'd see both Marvel and Disney credited (much like how you'd see both Disney & Pixar credited in a Pixar movie despite the former owning the latter).

EDIT: Nevermind my answer; seems someone did the smart thing and just booted up the game to check lol

Last edited by a moderator:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Disney do own 100% of Marvel (apart from whatever movie rights were sold before the buyout), they just have a "standing in the corner of the room and observing" relationship for most projects since Marvel still has its own corporate structure. By contrast, The Muppets are now fully one of Disney's IPs and the studio that produces them is a division of Disney.

To stay somewhat on topic: I maintain that saying that "Disney owns Kingdom Hearts instead of Square-Enix!" doesn't work as a gotcha any more than claiming that Android 21 should be considered to be an eligible Smash character. Nintendo likely doesn't have a "one at a time" headcount restriction for publishers, but they do consider variety of representation. Sora looks like Square and he smells like Square. If Nintendo thinks he's unique enough to stand alongside Sephiroth and Pyra, that's their prerogative. But ownership and eligibility just aren't connected.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I feel like if Square is getting another character (I highly doubt it), it'll be Lara unless Nintendo just wants nothing to do with that IP for whatever reason (which is very possible).

Unlike the Resident Evil cast, she would be pretty easy to implement into Smash without losing the essence of Tomb Raider.
The Resident Evil cast is completely fine.

Like, Leon, Chris, Jill and the rest of main characters aren't precisely known for being too violent while fighting. If they were super gory and cruel while killing enemies, like Doomslayer for example, I could understand your point, but they're not like that.

Imagine making such a grandiose statement with the game's massive issues (that people keep ignoring for some reason!).
Nah. It was just kinda of a joke. The game is not even my fave entry, I'd say. But I don't agree with you, people doesn't ignore at all the game's flaws at all, in fact, anywhere I go I always see people complaining about said issues. Issues that, unless I'm thinking of a different ones, aren't even issues in my honest opinion.

I mean the game has issues, yeah, but that happens with any FE game, but for some reason people bring up the flaws of this game with more frequency than other games, at least in my experience. Not to say, a game can have issues or flaws and still be a masterpiece or a 10/10 game. Generic line, I know, but I truly think no game out there is perfect. But if the game has enough strong points in it's favour to compensate the flawed parts, then it's okay.

It also depends on the person. For you maybe the pros of FE4 aren't enough to forget about the cons, but for me it's definitely the case. But maybe if we talked about a different game we would both have a different stance.

If FE4 was ever remaked I would definitely modify some aspects or add some QoL improvements, but things like the big maps or each character having their own inventory and not being able to share it with anyone else (unless they're in love) are integral parts of Genealogy's experience and should be still there. Maybe you were thinking of other things, but I'm mentioning these 2 aspects because it wouldn't be the first time I see someone saying these things are bad. And I don't agree. It could be better executed? Probably, and I'd be open to improve these ideas. Maybe the big maps would be a bit smaller, or give the units more turns or tools to move around the map, for example. But the core idea should be still there.

Admittedly, remaking this game wouldn't be an easy task. Not to mention some of the themes that the story touches,

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I feel like if Square is getting another character (I highly doubt it), it'll be Lara unless Nintendo just wants nothing to do with that IP for whatever reason (which is very possible).

Unlike the Resident Evil cast, she would be pretty easy to implement into Smash without losing the essence of Tomb Raider.
If only. If we get another Square character it'll certainly be a Bravely Default rep at this point. Sora doesn't count as he's Disney so I would consider him separate.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Please avoid image-only posts
To stay somewhat on topic: I maintain that saying that "Disney owns Kingdom Hearts instead of Square-Enix!" doesn't work as a gotcha any more than claiming that Android 21 should be considered to be an eligible Smash character. Nintendo likely doesn't have a "one at a time" headcount restriction for publishers, but they do consider variety of representation. Sora looks like Square and he smells like Square. If Nintendo thinks he's unique enough to stand alongside Sephiroth and Pyra, that's their prerogative. But ownership and eligibility just aren't connected.
If only. If we get another Square character it'll certainly be a Bravely Default rep at this point. Sora doesn't count as he's Disney so I would consider him separate.
DwG0DcLW0AA3VF3.jpg

Bottom text

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
:4cloud: was revealed in a General Nintendo Direct, so it is possible for Master Chief to be the same, just unlikely.
Things are a lot different now. If I’m remembering correctly then the only 3rd party we’ve had revealed in a direct for Ultimate is Terry. Directs tend to be where Nintendo character pops up now.

I guess it depends on how much they want Chief to have the “Finishes the Fight” tag line though; but if that’s the case then I think they’d just reveal both characters at E3 lol

As for Lara, I think her problem within the Smash community is that she doesn’t seem too interesting on the outside despite her fame. Most people just see her as a normal person, so “she wouldn’t be fun” or “she wouldn’t fit”. I disagree with those statements though & think she’d be fantastic.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Nah. It was just kinda of a joke. The game is not even my fave entry, I'd say. But I don't agree with you, people doesn't ignore at all the game's flaws at all, in fact, anywhere I go I always see people complaining about said issues. Issues that, unless I'm thinking of a different ones, aren't even issues in my honest opinion.

I mean the game has issues, yeah, but that happens with any FE game, but for some reason people bring up the flaws of this game with more frequency than other games, at least in my experience. Not to say, a game can have issues or flaws and still be a masterpiece or a 10/10 game. Generic line, I know, but I truly think no game out there is perfect. But if the game has enough strong points in it's favour to compensate the flawed parts, then it's okay.

It also depends on the person. For you maybe the pros of FE4 aren't enough to forget about the cons, but for me it's definitely the case. But maybe if we talked about a different game we would both have a different stance.

If FE4 was ever remaked I would definitely modify some aspects or add some QoL improvements, but things like the big maps or each character having their own inventory and not being able to share it with anyone else (unless they're in love) are integral parts of Genealogy's experience and should be still there. Maybe you were thinking of other things, but I'm mentioning these 2 aspects because it wouldn't be the first time I see someone saying these things are bad. And I don't agree. It could be better executed? Probably, and I'd be open to improve these ideas. Maybe the big maps would be a bit smaller, or give the units more turns or tools to move around the map, for example. But the core idea should be still there.

Admittedly, remaking this game wouldn't be an easy task. Not to mention some of the themes that the story touches,
I can very confidently assure you that said game is not viewed negatively in certain message boards (ahem reddit) and that people don't look at it critically enough, especially when it comes to the plot/themes/pacing. (oh gosh especially the story), although they will absolutely go ham on the similar issues pointed out in the other games. Just go to any of the message boards and you'll see what i mean.

Everyone has a preference to whatever they like, of course! But maybe instead of going off bombastic and vague statements, just saying you like it although it has its issues is perfectly fine. I wouldn't dare to call my favorite games "the best the series has to offer" because despite of my personal feelings, its still very important to try to look at it clearly, warts and all.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
The amount of low key chief support in this thread gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I will agree that Chief at E3 or bust is a pretty reasonable scenario. But I've got half an hour to kill, so I'm just going to keep typing and stop when it feels right.

Imagine, if you will:

Nintendo and Microsoft discuss, and would prefer to keep the first E3 in two years more focused on themselves, both should have some pretty largescale announcements of their own, and don't want to pull attention away from themselves. Halo Infinite gets the blowout reveal we've been waiting for, next DLC comes and goes. Everyone has a happy E3.

Come august/september, Microsoft announces on social media to prepare for a very special Microsoft Direct. Links to Nintendos official Youtube. Same exact Nintendo Direct logo, just green and "Microsoft" instead. Social media blows up. What the hells going on?

The day comes, and the entire thing is shaped just like a regular direct. Opening shot is Spencer and Bowser standing side by side. Bunch of cheesy talk about leaving the days of console wars behind us, moving forward together in a way that benefits all gamers. Introducing: Super Game Pass, a version of gamepass specifically tailored for the Switch. Rare Replay, Fallout 4, Minecraft... there seems to be a game from each developer Microsoft has acquired over the years. Ends with a huge reveal for the MCC. Suddenly, right at the end of the reveal, the screen goes black.

Fade in, and we get a shot of Samus flying on her ship out in space, trying to escape Ridley. Suddenly a giant ship appears out of nowhere, striking Ridley and causing Samus to veer sharply off course, sending the ship careening down to the surface of the world below. Samus craters into the dirt, ship destroyed, and clambers out of the wreckage.

"Where... where am i?"

Camera pans up, and we see the broken remnants of Zeta Halo, the setting for Halo Infinite. The infamous three piano notes from the halo 3 trailer play. Fade to white as Warthog Run starts to play on screen,

bum ba dum badum ba da dum
Smash Bros
X
Halo

Fade back to cinematic, a Warthog rolls over the horizon, kicking up dust and dirt as it winds its way closer to Samus. The hog pulls up a small distance off, and we see a silhouette begin to emerge from the vehicle. A voice sounding vaguely like Captain Keyes speaks through a radio frequency: "Chief, you mind telling me what you're doing in that game?"

"sir..."

Master Chief steps out of the Warthog

SPLASH SCREEN
MASTER CHIEF FINISHES THE FIGHT

"Finishing this fight."

Cut to moveset reveal.

We pick back up at the scene, Chief and Samus are staring eachother down, a la Haloid (RIP Monty Oum) and suddenly rush eachother. Kick ass cinmetics, ended by Ridley showing back up, Samus and Chief acknowledging eachother as non threats, and trailer ends as both Chief ands Samus charge their respective laser weapons and fires at Ridley.

End trailer with the Halo choir.

Internet breaks. Everyone loses their minds. /end scene

Okay I'm done with my fanfic.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The NSO was supposed to be the answer to the trickle down/drip feed, but it's just made certain aspects of it worse. EarthBound and SMRPG are literally the last realisable Nintendo-published games (that are in English), and they're clearly withholding them for some reason, but people are just sick of waiting.
I really do wonder what the reasoning is for holding these 2 games back. For SMRPG, obviously they’d need to be working with Square Enix to get that. But I wouldn’t view that as too much of a problem unless relations with SE are shaky right now. As for EarthBound (and heck, even EarthBound Beginnings for NES), there could be some legal trouble perhaps with certain music tracks (there are quite a few tracks that sound similar to stuff from the Beetles, Chuck Berry, and others). But then again, both those games were on Wii U VC, meaning that those same would-be legal troubles had been overcome. The only other reason to withhold them is to either spite the fan base or because they’re planning to use the games in some sort of Mother/EarthBound Trilogy. And I’m not really sure which of those options is more likely.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The amount of low key chief support in this thread gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I will agree that Chief at E3 or bust is a pretty reasonable scenario. But I've got half an hour to kill, so I'm just going to keep typing and stop when it feels right.

Imagine, if you will:

Nintendo and Microsoft discuss, and would prefer to keep the first E3 in two years more focused on themselves, both should have some pretty largescale announcements of their own, and don't want to pull attention away from themselves. Halo Infinite gets the blowout reveal we've been waiting for, next DLC comes and goes. Everyone has a happy E3.

Come august/september, Microsoft announces on social media to prepare for a very special Microsoft Direct. Links to Nintendos official Youtube. Same exact Nintendo Direct logo, just green and "Microsoft" instead. Social media blows up. What the hells going on?

The day comes, and the entire thing is shaped just like a regular direct. Opening shot is Spencer and Bowser standing side by side. Bunch of cheesy talk about leaving the days of console wars behind us, moving forward together in a way that benefits all gamers. Introducing: Super Game Pass, a version of gamepass specifically tailored for the Switch. Rare Replay, Fallout 4, Minecraft... there seems to be a game from each developer Microsoft has acquired over the years. Ends with a huge reveal for the MCC. Suddenly, right at the end of the reveal, the screen goes black.

Fade in, and we get a shot of Samus flying on her ship out in space, trying to escape Ridley. Suddenly a giant ship appears out of nowhere, striking Ridley and causing Samus to veer sharply off course, sending the ship careening down to the surface of the world below. Samus craters into the dirt, ship destroyed, and clambers out of the wreckage.

"Where... where am i?"

Camera pans up, and we see the broken remnants of Zeta Halo, the setting for Halo Infinite. The infamous three piano notes from the halo 3 trailer play. Fade to white as Warthog Run starts to play on screen,

Smash Bros
X
Halo

Fade back to cinematic, a Warthog rolls over the horizon, kicking up dust and dirt as it winds its way closer to Samus. The hog pulls up a small distance off, and we see a silhouette begin to emerge from the vehicle. A voice sounding vaguely like Captain Keyes speaks through a radio frequency: "Chief, you mind telling me what you're doing in that game?"

"sir..."

Master Chief steps out of the Warthog

SPLASH SCREEN
MASTER CHIEF FINISHES THE FIGHT

"Finishing this fight."

Cut to moveset reveal.

We pick back up at the scene, Chief and Samus are staring eachother down, a la Haloid (RIP Monty Oum) and suddenly rush eachother. Kick ass cinmetics, ended by Ridley showing back up, Samus and Chief acknowledging eachother as non threats, and trailer ends as both Chief ands Samus charge their respective laser weapons and fires at Ridley.

End trailer with the Halo choir.

Internet breaks. Everyone loses their minds. /end scene

Okay I'm done with my fanfic.
Why did the mention of a Microsoft Direct make me think Microsoft buys Nintendo in this scenario? Have I REALLY seen enough to think that?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People say something like this every time and the conversation is always very accepting toward Lara Croft when she's brought up as well.

I feel like it's pretty easily understood why Master Chief gets the most attention in this context, though. Square Enix has Cloud and Hero - representative of its two biggest pillars. Microsoft is a little weird though, despite having two characters in Smash none of them are "Mr. Microsoft". Steve is representative of the bigger game, but Master Chief is inarguably the mascot of the Xbox. I'd argue it remains the sole third party company in Smash without its mascot (except maybe Konami? I don't even know who would qualify for that role).

Lara is a big character, but going down this Square Enix ladder beyond her the characters lack the same notoriety and / or dedicated community support that Banjo, Steve and Master Chief possess. I've been accepting toward discussions of say, 2B and Neku as well, although they definitely fall a little short of their predecessors. I don't think anyone here is against discussing these characters, but compare either of them to Master Chief and it's pretty apparent why he's the one dominating these discussions as... well, one of the most iconic video game characters of all time.

It does beg the question as to why Lara hasn't really caught on though. I dunno. Personally I could just never really jive with her and I have a hard time envisioning it but she's as legit and worthy of conversation as anyone else.
I think this is her problem in general. Everyone's accepting of Lara, but that's as far as it goes. They don't have enough knowledge and/or interest to really bring her up and keep the conversation going. It feels like when it comes to Square reps, people would rather talk about the likes of 2B and Neku (And arguably Sora, but that's another can of worms I don't feel like busting open this early in the morning).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Just an FYI; Nintendo is nowhere near as bad as companies who basically force their employees to get PTSD during a game's development (Netherrealm and, IIRC, Naughty Dog), announce DLC characters who are on the disc before the game launches and still not releasing them until AFTER the game (Capcom during the last gen), riddle every single game they make with microtransactions even during the worst of times and stage a fake Christian protest (Electronic Anti-Christ), or send their devs off to the CoD mines when just one thing doesn't go their way (Activision).

But since they're a company, they don't give a **** about the consumer to begin with, even if they have devs or dev teams who DO. They're no less susceptible to doing annoying and sometimes scummy things than any other gaming company, so criticizing them for those things is totally fine.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just an FYI; Nintendo is nowhere near as bad as companies who basically force their employees to get PTSD during a game's development (Netherrealm and, IIRC, Naughty Dog), announce DLC characters who are on the disc before the game launches and still not releasing them until AFTER the game (Capcom during the last gen), riddle every single game they make with microtransactions even during the worst of times and stage a fake Christian protest (Electronic Anti-Christ), or send their devs off to the CoD mines when just one thing doesn't go their way (Activision).

But since they're a company, they don't give a **** about the consumer to begin with, even if they have devs or dev teams who DO. They're no less susceptible to doing annoying and sometimes scummy things than any other gaming company, so criticizing them for those things is totally fine.
Is this about NSO or the Zelda thing?

PacificFun

Smash Ace
The Resident Evil cast is completely fine.

Like, Leon, Chris, Jill and the rest of main characters aren't precisely known for being too violent while fighting. If they were super gory and cruel while killing enemies, like Doomslayer for example, I could understand your point, but they're not like that.
Haha, no no it has nothing to do with gore. If that was an issue, Bayonetta would NOT be playable, lmao. I'm talking about translating the gameplay of RE into a Smash moveset.

Like, you can make it where the character always has extremely limited resources but they might not be very fun to play due to that. Then again, Hero, Banjo, K. Rool and Robin all have "resources" that deplete over time (all in different ways). I just don't know how you would make a Smash moveset work for them while making it fun (yes, I know fun is very subjective).

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I think this is her problem in general. Everyone's accepting of Lara, but that's as far as it goes. They don't have enough knowledge and/or interest to really bring her up and keep the conversation going. It feels like when it comes to Square reps, people would rather talk about the likes of 2B and Neku (And arguably Sora, but that's another can of worms I don't feel like busting open this early in the morning).
Sadly i think it boils down to how SE tend to have a wide array of iconic and big IPs, and how the following IPs are clearly taking the spotlight (Nier/FF/DQ, even TWENY with its new game) naturally tend to lead people to believe that Nintendo would gravitate to those. Kind of like a issue where there's too much good stuff not to be included for squeenix, and sadly lara just falls lower to the totem pole given her franchise's current status.

But hey, banjo exists, so it's not completely not out of the question, is it?

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Whats that gotta do with people talking about him?
The people need to learn to not bring up Disney whenever Sora is even simply mentioned
Someone claimed that Sora wasn’t likely because he was owned by Square and since we already got Sephiroth, Sora would be double dipping. I brought up that Sora was owned by Disney in order to counteract that.

Which easily could have been seen, if, you know, you read the post I was replying to.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
I thought this way until characters like Travis were "killed".

We have two "small" third-party characters (Joker and Bayonetta) and both of their circumstances are very unquie. Bayonetta is basically an honorary Nintendo character and Joker is a rising star (both are also Sega).

We have four "fallen" stars (Mega Man, Simon, Banjo and Terry) who have sizable legacies (and fan request).

The rest of the third-party characters are bombshells (Snake, Sonic, Ryu, Cloud, Hero, Steve and Sephiroth).

All of these franchises dwarf a series like Bravely Defualt. All of these series hit the relative "big" time at least once (outside of Bayonetta but once again, honorary Nintendo character at this point and technically popular on the ballot though I still think that's a load of crap).

Square Enix has brought only the big guns as of now. If Geno wasn't picked, I can't see a character even "smaller" than him getting in as the next SE character.

And that is why I think the next SE character would be Lara Croft. TR is the third and final pillar of Square Enix (like The Legend of Zelda is for Nintendo).

But hey, Smash is pretty unpredictable (well...kind of). Maybe they would throw in a Bravely character for the hell of it. Moveset should be relatively "simple" to implement. The groundwork is already there with characters like Robin and Hero.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I thought this way until characters like Travis were "killed".

We have two "small" third-party characters (Joker and Bayonetta) and both of their circumstances are very unquie. Bayonetta is basically an honorary Nintendo character and Joker is a rising star (both are also Sega).

We have four "fallen" stars (Mega Man, Simon, Banjo and Terry) who have sizable legacies (and fan request).

The rest of the third-party characters are bombshells (Snake, Sonic, Ryu, Cloud, Hero, Steve and Sephiroth).

All of these franchises dwarf a series like Bravely Defualt. All of these series hit the relative "big" time at least once (outside of Bayonetta but once again, honorary Nintendo character at this point and technically popular on the ballot though I still think that's a load of crap).

Square Enix has brought only the big guns as of now. If Geno wasn't picked, I can't see a character even "smaller" than him getting in as the next SE character.

And that is why I think the next SE character would be Lara Croft. TR is the third and final pillar of Square Enix (like The Legend of Zelda is for Nintendo).

But hey, Smash is pretty unpredictable (well...kind of). Maybe they would throw in a Bravely character for the hell of it. Moveset should be relatively "simple" to implement. The groundwork is already there with characters like Robin and Hero.
Watch instead we get 2B.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
Guys seriously

yall are sleeping on my son Neku HARD

if not Ultimate then I think he’s for sure got a shot next smash
Honestly, Square Enix is pushing TWEWY a lot this year: not only a sequel, but new merchandise and a freaking anime that I'm half-convinced was specifically produced to promote NEO.

And they're the people behind Dragon Quest XI S, which Nintendo wouldn't shut up about when discussing Hero in Smash.

If anyone is going to become a "promotional pick" this round, it'll probably be Neku (and/or Rindo).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
In all honestly though I find 2B far more likely than Lara Croft if we get another Square character for the same reason as Joker.

As oppose to Lara who has been always overlooked by folks due to other Sora (Despite ties is 100% Disney) and Geno. Not that I can blame them being to them she's "normal".

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sadly i think it boils down to how SE tend to have a wide array of iconic and big IPs, and how the following IPs are clearly taking the spotlight (Nier/FF/DQ, even TWENY with its new game) naturally tend to lead people to believe that Nintendo would gravitate to those. Kind of like a issue where there's too much good stuff not to be included for squeenix, and sadly lara just falls lower to the totem pole given her franchise's current status.

But hey, banjo exists, so it's not completely not out of the question, is it?
To be far, Banjo was a unique situation where he pushed by through fan demand rather than size. He's kinda tricky to compare to other series that one would assume would get in by "conventional" means.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The only issue with 2B is she has NO Nintendo presence currently. Cloud at least appeared in KH Chain of Memories for GBA and Theatrhythm for 3DS before getting into smash; and Joker was set to appear in Persona Q2 which was in development before his Smash announcement

and Geno is... yeah I’m not opening that can of worms

so yeah I feel our next SE rep may well be Neku. Or even another FF character not from 7

inb4 surprise Crono

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Imagine making such a grandiose statement with the game's massive issues (that people keep ignoring for some reason!).

That game is probably one of the last games i would call "does intricacies and consequences well" considering
arvis/seliph becomes the emperor during their reign and maintains the nobility power structure without examining the issues at heart or showing any takeaway from it. Also something something evil dragon/cult is the crux of the entire plot, similar to the many other games before/after it.
The entire first generation is a deconstruction of the typical Fire Emblem "war is the solution to everything" plot through the lens of "what would happen if a young adult who had no political experience outside of being a soldier came to power?". The fact that Sigurd's only answer to any sort of dissent is to conquer the opposing party slowly drives the entirety of Agustria away from him (including his former friend Eldigan), grants Grannvale the power it needs to slowly turn tyrannical, destabilizes Sileese by being the final push for the state to enter a secession war, and allows Freege, Dozel, and Velthomer to make things even worse by installing themselves as oppressive, colonial governments in his conquered territories.

Also, why would Arvis get rid of the nobility power structure? He's a man driven by his own self-interest and is the goddamn emperor of the continent's superpower that is only growing in influence. Why would he surrender his power through grand reforms out of a sense of personal morality when it's clear he primarily looks out for number one? Plus, he does introduce reform when it benefits him, as seen by his willingness to reintroduce the Loptr Church and its people to re-enter society without fear of being lynched. Likewise, Seliph only becomes emperor in the final cutscene of the game and his story is based around uncovering Julia's past and learning to live up to the massive legacy he's inherited. It's fine that the game doesn't really go into what Seliph is like as a political leader, because for 99% of the game he has no political power.

Just because they're not waxing philosophical every 5 minutes about their ideology like Edelgard doesn't mean that Arvis and Seliph aren't well-written or interesting characters.

Also, just because a theme has been already covered in a pre-existing work doesn't mean it automatically invalidates the new work. The Loptr are much more interesting than the other unambiguously bad FE factions like the Earth Dragons and Those That Slither in the Dark because they have some degree of reasonable motivation to do what they do. They were cast permanently into hiding out of a fear that they will be lynched for their heritage. It's no wonder they want political power and follow an extreme religion, they are at the bottom rung of society by virtually every metric. Likewise, while Loptous is very much just an "evil for evil's sake" character, even he's more interesting than the likes of Medeus simply because there's a tragedy behind him. Julius is permanently corrupted by the tome and undergoes a major personality change, which leads to characters like Ishtar and Arvis tragically continuing to follow him out of a sense that he may return to his old self.

Genealogy does have story issues that need to be ironed out, but the criticisms you provided really aren't some of them.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The only issue with 2B is she has NO Nintendo presence currently. Cloud at least appeared in KH Chain of Memories for GBA and Theatrhythm for 3DS before getting into smash; and Joker was set to appear in Persona Q2 which was in development before his Smash announcement
Watch how that rule of "Nintendo presence" breaks.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Wait so why do you guys think Lara is so unlikely as a potential next Square Enix character (I'm just curious, ain't trying to throw a fit lmao)?

D

Deleted member

and Geno is... yeah I’m not opening that can of worms

so yeah I feel our next SE rep may well be Neku. Or even another FF character not from 7

inb4 surprise Crono
Not to mention the FF series as a whole had its start on Nintendo; it was almost like a homecoming for Cloud to be invited. FF only made the jump to Sony because Nintendo decided to stick to cartridges for N64 instead of CDs and Square knew that wouldn't cut it. I-VI had been on Nintendo and even the remakes continued to stay with them (for GBA I mean). FF VII may never have graced their systems, but FF as a whole kinda occupied the same cousin-status as Mega Man & Castlevania.

History lesson aside, yeah, as nice as 2B would be, I don't think she'd be the 'next in line' from Squareenix to make it. If they were to get yet another, that is.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Calm down, CALM DOWN! Like I said earlier, there's no guarantee this will lead to a new game. The most we can do is hope that the data collected from this is enough to convince Bandai Namco to at least consider it.

Besides, what if it's related to .hack or something? I can totally see that one showing up here...
A bit random, but I WAS RIGHT!!!!!!

.hack is a thing we can talk about now!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Wait so why do you guys think Lara is so unlikely as a potential next Square Enix character (I'm just curious, ain't trying to throw a fit lmao)?
Because she isn't that demanded and overshadowed by the likes of Sora (Disney), Geno, other Final Fantasy characters like Lightning, and other Square reps like 2B.

This factoring in because folks finds her "normal".

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Broke: Shadow as a Sonic Echo Fighter (why do you all want another sonic clone to spam with?)
Because I think Sonic deserves another rep, and a villain, but I'd rather use unique character slots on new franchises.

To stay somewhat on topic: I maintain that saying that "Disney owns Kingdom Hearts instead of Square-Enix!" doesn't work as a gotcha any more than claiming that Android 21 should be considered to be an eligible Smash character.
I'm not sure how it was ever a gotcha. Being owned by Disney does not, on it's own, make something NOT a video game property.

Being from a series based on something that's not a video game franchise(like Android 21) makes something not a video game property.

Nintendo is nowhere near as bad as companies who basically force their employees to get PTSD during a game's development
You have literally no idea if that's true or not considering how secretive Nintendo is about their internal development.

Who got in from a cheesed ballot.
Bayonetta was chosen long before the ballot.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
So yeah.

Gonna put 100 chips down on Master Chief at E3.

Is it foolish to do so? Yeah, absolutely.

But it's like an old saying:

"Everything's made up, and the points don't matter."
I, too, will put some of my chips down for Chief, since he has a decent chance at an E3 fighter reveal.

Well we do need some more animal characters in these passes so Crash Bandicoot is an easy choice. A wacky and silly character for a wacky and silly game.
Well, we got quite a bit of animal characters already, even if you don't label humans as "animals." That said, Smash has mammals, birds, reptiles, an amphibian, and a mollusk in its roster. We're still missing fish, as well as arachnids, insects, crustaceans, and other invertebrates.

For non-animal characters, we got amoebae (Kirby and Meta Knight; yes, I consider the Kirby species to be an amoeba, due to what game Theory said about him), plants (Piranha Plant, Pikmin, and (half-way) Ivysaur), robots (R.O.B. and Mega Man).

For unclassified fighters, we got Luma and Jigglypuff; I don't know what kind of animal or organism kingdom they're a part of. On a similar note, I'm pretty sure that Pac-Man and Mr. Game & Watch are mammals.

What other non-animal characters would people here like to see? My picks are Freddy Fazbear, Zero (from Mega Man), and YoRHa 2B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom