• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Technomage

Smash Champion
It always comes back to this...

View attachment 315069
Well then, I'm obligated to move on to a Crash discussion. Let's see:

If E3 is a double reveal, Crash is one of those reveals, and the other character is an Activision-Blizzard character, who would make a great fit? My ideas:

Coco
Spyro
Call of Duty
Guitar Hero
Pitfall Harry
Tracer (though maybe Winston could fit too, since he'd be the first monkey fighter who can actually talk)
Warcraft
The Devil
Kerrigan

7NATOR

Smash Master
I also got a question to ask this Board. I asked this question on Gamefaqs and the responses I got is both Surprising, but also not surprising at all, but I think this board would have different views?

Who do you think would have a more likely chance of being in FP2: Ayumi Tachibana or Shadow the Hedgehog?

I mean, I wouldn't complain if we get Dante and Vergil at the same time, but I don't see why that would happen.
Just a hunch. It depends on the number of Actual slots next roster (that can be developed), and what other options they have, but since Vergil is a Iconic part of DMC, as well as a Very Popular aspect of it, as well as the fact that both Dante/Vergil share similar body types, along with sharing of the base DMC Mechanics and sharing of moves, I could see all those aspects developing into Vergil being added to the roster next game, whether as Base or DLC. I don't think Vergil would be an echo, but would share stuff with Dante nonetheless

Scorpion and Sub-Zero is another example I could see, as well as any FPS character, as I Imagine any FPS Character they add will have the same base moveset formula, with the differences being in their Home game mechanics, Weaponry, etc.

Shroob

Sup?
I also got a question to ask this Board. I asked this question on Gamefaqs and the responses I got is both Surprising, but also not surprising at all, but I think this board would have different views?

Who do you think would have a more likely chance of being in FP2: Ayumi Tachibana or Shadow the Hedgehog?
Ayumi

Bottom text.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If E3 is a double reveal, Crash is one of those reveals, and the other character is an Activision-Blizzard character, who would make a great fit?
If we got an Activision character other than / in addition to Crash I’d be pretty surprised if it wasn’t Tracer or maybe Diablo.

IMHO both of them are incredibly unlikely but at least Ayumi has a new Nintendo game to promote and would be the first choice for an original character from her series.

And well... you know.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion

I pick Ayumi. If Shadow wasn't an AT in Ultimate, I'd think he'd have a much higher chance of being in Pass 2, even more than Eggman.

On the other hand, since AT Shadow only slows down and freezes opponents and can't be attacked, maybe fighter Shadow could still happen (as long as he doesn't have that same move)?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Just a hunch. It depends on the number of Actual slots next roster (that can be developed), and what other options they have, but since Vergil is a Iconic part of DMC, as well as a Very Popular aspect of it, as well as the fact that both Dante/Vergil share similar body types, along with sharing of the base DMC Mechanics and sharing of moves, I could see all those aspects developing into Vergil being added to the roster next game, whether as Base or DLC. I don't think Vergil would be an echo, but would share stuff with Dante nonetheless

Scorpion and Sub-Zero is another example I could see, as well as any FPS character, as I Imagine any FPS Character they add will have the same base moveset formula, with the differences being in their Home game mechanics, Weaponry, etc.
Ayumi with every weapon from Shadow the Hedgehog.

In other words, yes.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

If E3 is a double reveal, Crash is one of those reveals, and the other character is an Activision-Blizzard character, who would make a great fit? My ideas:
Activision does own various Sierra franchises including the beloved point and click series King's Quest (whose fifth entry was on the NES remember), so King Graham in Ultimate would be that genre finally getting showcased.

Plus who wouldn't want quality music like this in Ultimate ;):

Technomage

Smash Champion
Activision does own various Sierra franchises including the beloved point and click series King's Quest (whose fifth entry was on the NES remember), so King Graham in Ultimate would be that genre finally getting showcased.

Plus who wouldn't want quality music like this in Ultimate ;):

LOL That gave me a few laughs, due to how cluttered the music felt.

Pillow

Smash Lord
This. Not to say they would be clones or too Similar to each other....but the Similarity is there though, and in that case, I think we'd get Vergil first, since I think there's a good chance we could get Dante/Vergil at the same time in the next game.
That's a way to see it, I suppose.

If we got an Activision character other than / in addition to Crash I’d be pretty surprised if it wasn’t Tracer or maybe Diablo.
Honestly if we're taking someone from the entire Blizzard pantheon I'd be surprised if it wasn't Arthas/Illidan over Tracer. Warcraft has always been their biggest most recognizable franchise.

SKX31

Smash Master

Coco
Spyro
Call of Duty
Guitar Hero
Pitfall Harry
Tracer (though maybe Winston could fit too, since he'd be the first monkey fighter who can actually talk)
Warcraft
The Devil
Kerrigan
1. Diablo's name is always in Spanish (partly because that's the series' name too).
2. Feels a bit weird to list Kerrigan solely when StarCraft has an ensemble cast like WarCraft, even if Kerrigan's central to StarCraft's story.
3. DK and Diddy can talk... sometimes (bad singing involved).

That said, I do feel that one of their more realistic franchises would make a great contrast. Personally I'm partial to, in order, StarCraft > WarCraft > Overwatch > Diablo > CoD > Spyro > Harry > Coco > Guitar Hero.

That's not to knock on any franchise though, I do think that you can't go wrong with any A-B character. Just grew up way more with the Blizzard side of things.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Honestly if we're taking someone from the entire Blizzard pantheon I'd be surprised if it wasn't Arthas/Illidan over Tracer. Warcraft has always been their biggest most recognizable franchise.
Oh yeah that’s fair, I suppose I glanced over Warcraft just because I’m not super familiar with the series and I don’t know who they would pick. WOW’s legacy is definitely enough for the possibility to be on the table though. I’d argue Tracer as a character is a bit more prominent than any individual figure from Warcraft though, so I think that could go either way.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman

Coco
Spyro
Call of Duty
Guitar Hero
Pitfall Harry
Warcraft
The Devil
Kerrigan
I'm always gonna advocate for Diablo as our Activision fighter.

Highly influential and successful, under-discussed, and very played up on the Switch with that bundle and Amiibo. Seriously, Activision Blizzard chose Diablo over Crash, Overwatch, and WC for an Amiibo.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
LOL I totally forgot about that funny dumpster fire. XD
There are certain video game franchise expansions in other media that have one lament that they don't end up in the games proper, and leading to an internal refrain of "if only we could get that in the mainline titles".

Then you get to the DKC cartoon and you realize that some reticence by the likes of Nintendo to incorporate this kind of stuff into their actual canon is occasionally necessary.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm always gonna advocate for Diablo as our Activision fighter.

Highly influential and successful, and very played up on the Switch with that bundles and Amiibo. Seriously, Activision Blizzard chose Diablo over Crash, Overwatch, and WC for an Amiibo.
That reminds me: Since Diablo and Solaire of Astora are the only amiibos with no Smash Bros. functionality, maybe the last 2 DLCs could be both of them?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me: Since Diablo and Solaire of Astora are the only amiibos with no Smash Bros. functionality, maybe the last 2 DLCs could be both of them?
We've cracked the code!! /s

But really though, I've been thinking about that. I'm obviously biased in favor of DS, but despite that, I think the Amiibos could bode well for those series getting content in Smash. Mii costumes, spirits, or at least something.

They show how much their parent companies care those series' on the Switch, because both were no doubt expensive to make and license, and they remain the only Amiibo from those companies.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
It could add up.

If we go by Tourney theory, We don't have 2010's or Swordfighter tourney, which any Dark Souls character would be. And we don't have a Fire Based tourney, and Diablo would definitly have Fire I believe. Plus Shroob Shroob Fire Theory could live on as one of the most credible theories ever made

I pick Ayumi. If Shadow wasn't an AT in Ultimate, I'd think he'd have a much higher chance of being in Pass 2, even more than Eggman.

On the other hand, since AT Shadow only slows down and freezes opponents and can't be attacked, maybe fighter Shadow could still happen (as long as he doesn't have that same move)?
I do think he'd have a move that involves slowing down time. One of the theories I have about Shadow's Assist, is that they actually added the 2nd Timestop phase to the Assist because they are testing the mechanic for in the Case Shadow becomes a DLC Character. Shadow's Assist is the only thing in the entire series that is able to Completely stop time

Ayumi

Bottom text.
What does Bottom Text mean? also I assume you think the Combination of Assist, other Sonic characters, and Echo Fighter stigma is enough to bring even a Legendary character like Shadow below Ayumi Tachibana in Likeihood

Pillow

Smash Lord
Oh yeah that’s fair, I suppose I glanced over Warcraft just because I’m not super familiar with the series and I don’t know who they would pick. WOW’s legacy is definitely enough for the possibility to be on the table though. I’d argue Tracer as a character is a bit more prominent than any individual figure from Warcraft though, so I think that could go either way.
If it were a couple years ago, I'd be inclined to agree. Blizzard really went ham advertising Overwatch for a while after its release. But the game has been stagnant for a while now (I think they hasn't been a new Hero in over a year now) partly because a lot of development has been dedicated to the sequel, but also because general interest in the game has died down quite a bit. However anyone feels about WoW, no one can deny its legacy. It's been the MMO for over a decade now and released its latest expansion not too long ago. Warcraft has a lot of characters, but the ones Blizzard promotes most prominently are Arthas and Illidan, with Jaina I guess in 3rd place.

Diablo and Starcraft have become similar flagship series for both the dungeon crawl and RTS genres respectively, but I think their cultural and historical impact are quite a few leagues below WoW's, even though I'm more partial to SC personally.

Idk, I can't imagine the Japanese crowd would be too happy with these as the last two picks (yes I know Dark Souls is a Japanese franchise that's popular over there). They both kind of fall under the same gritty realistic style that Westerners prefer and Japan doesn't.

Also, I could be wrong here, but I was always under the impression Solaire specifically is also more popular in the West than in Japan, with his "praise the sun" catchphrase being associated with gaming memes and all.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Ayumi by default. Do I even need to explain why?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
It could add up.

If we go by Tourney theory, We don't have 2010's or Swordfighter tourney, which any Dark Souls character would be. And we don't have a Fire Based tourney, and Diablo would definitly have Fire I believe. Plus Shroob Shroob Fire Theory could live on as one of the most credible theories ever made

I do think he'd have a move that involves slowing down time. One of the theories I have about Shadow's Assist, is that they actually added the 2nd Timestop phase to the Assist because they are testing the mechanic for in the Case Shadow becomes a DLC Character. Shadow's Assist is the only thing in the entire series that is able to Completely stop time

What does Bottom Text mean? also I assume you think the Combination of Assist, other Sonic characters, and Echo Fighter stigma is enough to bring even a Legendary character like Shadow below Ayumi Tachibana in Likeihood
7NATOR 7NATOR , we both like to do long SmashFAQs writeups, so maybe you'll appreciate mine about this.

Who knows? I think spirits are the most likely outcome, if either do end up getting content. Y'know, Amiibo functions and all.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I don’t think Overwatch has a very good shot at being Blizzards rep if one does come.
The game is kinda stagnant while Diablo, Starcraft, and WoW are still really well known and popular.
I’d assume one of those series would get the slot, but I could be wrong.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Also, it's a silly question since we all know 7Nator has a Shadow Agenda, but you guys are cracked if you really think Ayumi is more likely than Shadow. Most people outside of Smash fandom have never heard of Famicon Detective Club, while Shadow is a secondary character from Sonic the Hedgehog.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
For Diablo, despite Diablo himself being the fan-favorite pick (most likely), I think Nintendo would go for Deckard Cain. The concept of "satan" is hard to market no matter how you slice it, especially in a kids game, lol.

The Devil assist trophy and spirit exist, sure, but they aren't on the same level as this guy:

maxresdefault (3).jpg

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
For Diablo, despite Diablo himself being the fan-favorite pick (most likely), I think Nintendo would go for Deckard Cain. The concept of "satan" is hard to market no matter how you slice it, especially in a kids game, lol.

The Devil assist trophy and spirit exist, sure, but they aren't on the same level as this guy:

View attachment 315072
Diablo could be considered too scary for Smash, but I don't personally think he would be considering we have monsters from Castlevania, Rathalos, Pig Ganon, etc. I do feel like he'd make a better boss than playable character though. Too big, etc.

And Deckard is boooooring. Like seriously, any random Diablo class would be better than him. They even all have their own canon names and everything.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, it's a silly question since we all know 7Nator has a Shadow Agenda, but you guys are cracked if you really think Ayumi is more likely than Shadow. Most people outside of Smash fandom have never heard of Famicon Detective Club, while Shadow is a secondary character from Sonic the Hedgehog.
If Smash followed the ideology of "Recognizability is key," we'd probably have at least three Sonic characters now, among others. The thing is, Smash doesn't really have a consistent line of thinking. We have Steve, the player character of the best-selling game of all time (So far), and Sephiroth, the JRPG villain from the JRPG (For the West, at least), right after Byleth and Min Min, from decently successful Switch released but nowhere near the level of Steve and Sephiroth.

Aside from that, first-parties seem to have lower standards than third-parties. I'd presume it's a mix of A: Not having to go through any negotiations, and B: Being able to promote their own IPs, encouraging a stable loop that gives them the full profits without having to share with any third-parties. Well, it's probably a little more complex than that, but Nintendo seems to be less strict with their own characters than another company's.

But in all honesty... I can't really say who's more likely than who anymore. I have cracked, but in a direction. I've just given up on trying to find precise, accurate results at this point. Now, I'm just gonna name a character go "Yeah, I guess they could happen," and leave it at that.

Shroob

Sup?
It could add up.

Bottom text is just a way to fill out the 10 character limit imposed on posts.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Diablo could be considered too scary for Smash, but I don't personally think he would be considering we have monsters from Castlevania, Rathalos, Pig Ganon, etc.
Yeah, just no body horror (aside from Marx's toned-down stuff) getting into the game.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
It could add up.

I also find the time freeze mechanic weird. There was literally no reason to choose Shadow, over every other AT, for a brand new effect. The effect, like you said, is bound solely to his assist trophy.

Not saying it WILL lead to anything, but seeing as how basically every AT was just ported, making such a unique and game-changing mechanic just for a veteran AT seems like a weird way to spend dev time.

Pillow

Smash Lord
If Smash followed the ideology of "Recognizability is key," we'd probably have at least three Sonic characters now, among others. The thing is, Smash doesn't really have a consistent line of thinking. We have Steve, the player character of the best-selling game of all time (So far), and Sephiroth, the JRPG villain from the JRPG (For the West, at least), right after Byleth and Min Min, from decently successful Switch released but nowhere near the level of Steve and Sephiroth.

Aside from that, first-parties seem to have lower standards than third-parties. I'd presume it's a mix of A: Not having to go through any negotiations, and B: Being able to promote their own IPs, encouraging a stable loop that gives them the full profits without having to share with any third-parties. Well, it's probably a little more complex than that, but Nintendo seems to be less strict with their own characters than another company's.

But in all honesty... I can't really say who's more likely than who anymore. I have cracked, but in a direction. I've just given up on trying to find precise, accurate results at this point. Now, I'm just gonna name a character go "Yeah, I guess they could happen," and leave it at that.
Sure there's no exact science. If recognizability were the only standard, wouldn't have Terry in before Heihachi, or like most our Capcom characters over RE or MonHun. I'm mostly saying that Ayumi is very unlikely while Shadow is only kinda unlikely, especially if we're considering their chances of being included in the next Smash and not just their chances as Ultimate DLC.

Shroob

Sup?
Sure there's no exact science. If recognizability were the only standard, wouldn't have Terry in before Heihachi, or like most our Capcom characters over RE or MonHun. I'm mostly saying that Ayumi is very unlikely while Shadow is only kinda unlikely, especially if we're considering their chances of being included in the next Smash and not just their chances as Ultimate DLC.
I half-jokingly say Ayumi because it just feels like the "Nintendo" thing to do.

I'm already kinda expecting the pass to end on a 1st party rep, and Ayumi will:

1: Have a game on the Switch
2: Has been talked about by the big man himself all the way back in Melee.

We see they're not shy as to adding characters with games on the Switch long after their games have already come out, Byleth, Min Min, P/M, so I feel like Ayumi would be a very Nintendo-thing to do.

Not saying that's a bad thing, nor do I really expect Ayumi, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if she did take CP11 lol.

SKX31

Smash Master
Idk, I can't imagine the Japanese crowd would be too happy with these as the last two picks (yes I know Dark Souls is a Japanese franchise that's popular over there). They both kind of fall under the same gritty realistic style that Westerners prefer and Japan doesn't.

Also, I could be wrong here, but I was always under the impression Solaire specifically is also more popular in the West than in Japan, with his "praise the sun" catchphrase being associated with gaming memes and all.
Well, if those two are indeed the last - or if the last two come from gritty series...

I'll buy a Gritty costume:

:4pacman:

Nah but seriously: I'm kinda curious as to Dark Souls' popularity in Japan - how popular is it over there? Anyone got a source on that?

I also find the time freeze mechanic weird. There was literally no reason to choose Shadow, over every other AT, for a brand new effect. The effect, like you said, is bound solely to his assist trophy.

Not saying it WILL lead to anything, but seeing as how basically every AT was just ported, making such a unique and game-changing mechanic just for a veteran AT seems like a weird way to spend dev time.
It's difficult to say without Sakurai really confirming anything - but one possible explanation is that they might've simply wanted some way to distinguish Shadow from the clock item. That and having the complete freeze mechanic on a fighter might've been very janky (depending on how that fighter would activate the freeze).

Not saying that's a bad thing, nor do I really expect Ayumi, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if she did take CP11 lol.
I do agree, but with the caveat that she would've had very little notability outside Japan when FP2 was chosen. That's what makes me hesitant re: Ayumi (or any FDC character) - for a while the FDC remake was scheduled to be Japan-exclusive, and only after a while did they announce an international release.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I half-jokingly say Ayumi because it just feels like the "Nintendo" thing to do.

I'm already kinda expecting the pass to end on a 1st party rep, and Ayumi will:

1: Have a game on the Switch
2: Has been talked about by the big man himself all the way back in Melee.

We see they're not shy as to adding characters with games on the Switch long after their games have already come out, Byleth, Min Min, P/M, so I feel like Ayumi would be a very Nintendo-thing to do.

That's fair. First parties do operate under different standards in general. But the reason Sakurai didn't include her originally hasn't exactly changed (lack of Western recognizability). Yeah I know he's changed his stance on things many times before, and it's Smash and anything could happen, but I'd be very surprised if they opted for Ayumi over something like RFA, Astral Chain, or a Pokemon assuming we get another 1st party character.

So yeah, I wouldn't be shocked exactly if she appeared, but at this point I'd only be shocked if our next character is ****ing Batman or something.

Well, if those two are indeed the last - or if the last two come from gritty series...

Nah but seriously: I'm kinda curious as to Dark Souls' popularity in Japan - how popular is it over there? Anyone got a source on that?

It's difficult to say without Sakurai really confirming anything - but one possible explanation is that they might've simply wanted some way to distinguish Shadow from the clock item. That and having the complete freeze mechanic on a fighter might've been very janky (depending on how that fighter would activate the freeze).

I do agree, but with the caveat that she would've had very little notability outside Japan when FP2 was chosen. That's what makes me hesitant re: Ayumi (or any FDC character) - for a while the FDC remake was scheduled to be Japan-exclusive, and only after a while did they announce an international release.
Dark Souls itself is very popular there, but specifically for Smash fandom I think it's not really something most Japanese Smash fans are that interested to see in the form of a playable character.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman

The general consensus seems to be that Dark Souls has significant popularity in both Japan and the West. I heard somewhere (don't remember where, this could be untrue) that Dark Souls has been played by most popular streamers in Japan at some point.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we knew being an AT didn't matter for getting selected I'd choose Shadow. Ayumi is first-party and has a current game, but games at this point are probably too late to have factored into things, it is just a remake, which usually don't mean as much, and it's also not the type of game that tends to get selected for promotion. I doubt Nintendo even decided whether they were going to have it localized when FP2 was being assembled.

If we get an original sequel I'd say Ayumi would be likelier than Shadow in general for next time, just because the bar for first-parties is very low compared to not just third-parties, but the fact that even intra-series wise Shadow may not have the best chance - unless Sakurai is looking for derivative additions.

As it is now, both are quite unlikely. I think Shadow has a lot more in his favour, but he's also working against larger hindrances. I think the question is more debatable than people are giving it credit for, but I think that's because I'm giving Ayumi less credit than others are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom