• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I think Waluigi to win his place in the Super Smash Bros. series. as a newcomer he must acquire his own video game series.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I think Waluigi to win his place in the Super Smash Bros. series. as a newcomer he must acquire his own series of video games.
Maybe an adventure series featuring other Mario characters who've fallen to the wayside? Like the 8-Bits, or Wanda, or... y'know what, there are far too many to list here. But yeah, that could potentially be Waluigi's golden ticket to a spot on the roster.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Speaking of new spirits, wonder when they'll add the P5S and GnG spirits for us peasants who haven't bought either game.

My guess is the patch in which CP10 drops.
Definitely when the next fighter drops.

Same thing happened with the Let’s Go spirits and Tockles.
Both will likely also receive spirit battles with Sophia’s being exclusive to Joker’s DLC spirit board.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Maybe an adventure series featuring other Mario characters who've fallen to the wayside? Like the 8-Bits, or Wanda, or... y'know what, there are far too many to list here. But yeah, that could potentially be Waluigi's golden ticket to a spot on the roster.
Or maybe an official version of Waluigi's Taco Stand? I'd totally buy that, and it'd also give me a hankering for some tacos and other Mexican foods.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I thought we knew about this for ages? Still, I would've preferred a general Gameboy stage. There's plenty of GB entries of games that could've cameod - Mario Land, a proper Wario Land stage, Metroid 2, Kid Icarus Of Myths And Monsters, flesh out assist trophy/music only franchises like For The Frog The Bell Tolls and X, etc.

oops have dreamland again LOL
Originally, I was crazy hyped for this stage following its reveal in Smash 4 because I thought your idea was precisely what you described, in addition to stuff like Kirby's Dream Land, Tetris, Panel de Pon GB, Balloon Kid, etc.

But instead we got... just Kirby's Dream Land.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think the relative popularity of the E3 reveal is really contingent upon how the rest of the conference is. Nintendo knows that Smash catches eyes, given that Smash was the opening act of 2 of the 3 mainline directs we last saw. If Nintendo is coming a bit empty-handed this year, a big reveal for Smash would be a great crutch to lean on. If Nintendo has a lot of major announcements, they can afford to have a smaller name for Smash.

I think Nintendo will actually have a pretty great show this year. BotW2, Splatoon 3, and the Switch Pro are all basically confirmed to be there, so that's already three massive announcements. Plus, there's a reasonably high chance we see the leaked 3D Kirby and/or the cancelled 3DS Fire Emblem remake. Top those announcements off with an extra wildcard or two and a couple of reasonably strong third-party reveals (Perhaps some AAA ports to show the power of the Pro?), the cries of "That E3 Direct was great!" would definitely drown out the cries of "I can't believe they revealed Ayumi instead of Gex!".

EDIT: I also forgot about Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Pokemon Legends: Arceus. I imagine both of those will be shown in a dedicated Pokemon direct, but they may also get a short segment in the general direct. Either way, that's two more headlines that people are going to notice.

Of course, none of this is an exact science, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
A little over a year ago, a Xenoblade 2 character and especially an ARMS character would have been called "base game picks" and the latter would have been called "bottom of the barrel".
A lot of people were still speculating on Rex getting in. It’s just that no one thought they’d skip over for him just Pyra/Mythra. 🤷

Rayman seems decently popular, but not to Banjo's earthshattering levels. I think the problem is that all the "obvious" popular characters like Banjo and Isaac are either fighters or considered deconfirmed by many, so they either have their stories over or a lot of people don't think they'll get a happy ending. As such, it becomes kinda tricky to try and think up characters who fit that criteria.
Yeah, I don’t think there’s anyone left like Banjo, Ridley & K Rool. They were “smaller” choices but had an insane amount of popularity; they were basically the three biggest requests. The only one left like that is Waluigi.

There’s definitely some popular smaller requests like Isaac or Skull Kid, but they can’t compare to that trio.

The characters that have claimed the trio’s throne are Crash, Sora & arguably Doom Slayer. But they don’t fit with what Guynamednelson was talking about lol

Technically yes, but there's the issue with the fact that he has to fill out a challenger pack. And no, I don't think they'll cover the spirits/music part of the pack with just random Waluigi renders and Waluigi Pinball remixes in every musical genre. It'd have to be someone more challenger-pack friendly.
I think you can pull a good amount of stuff from Mario spin-off games to fill a pack out. It wouldn’t be too interesting, but Waluigi himself would be the draw instead of the other content.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think the relative popularity of the E3 reveal is really contingent upon how the rest of the conference is. Nintendo knows that Smash catches eyes, given that Smash was the opening act of 2 of the 3 mainline directs we last saw. If Nintendo is coming a bit empty-handed this year, a big reveal for Smash would be a great crutch to lean on. If Nintendo has a lot of major announcements, they can afford to have a smaller name for Smash.

I think Nintendo will actually have a pretty great show this year. BotW2, Splatoon 3, and the Switch Pro are all basically confirmed to be there, so that's already three massive announcements. Plus, there's a reasonably high chance we see the leaked 3D Kirby and/or the cancelled 3DS Fire Emblem remake. Top those announcements off with an extra wildcard or two and a couple of reasonably strong third-party reveals (Perhaps some AAA ports to show the power of the Pro?), the cries of "That E3 Direct was great!" would definitely drown out the cries of "I can't believe they revealed Ayumi instead of Gex!".

Of course, none of this is an exact science, so take it with a grain of salt.
A new Donkey Kong game could also be revealed at E3, so in this hypothetical E3 Direct scenario:
  • Breath of the Wild 2
  • Splatoon 2
  • Switch Pro
  • New Kirby game
  • Metroid Prime 4 info
  • New Donkey Kong game
And a few more stuff is enough to male this E3 a good one.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But they don’t fit with what Guynamednelson was talking about lol
Well yeah, because it's too late in the pass to expect any of that "new trio".
but Waluigi himself would be the draw instead of the other content.
Still, they don't want to just sell a character, they want to sell bonus content as well.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Technically yes, but there's the issue with the fact that he has to fill out a challenger pack. And no, I don't think they'll cover the spirits/music part of the pack with just random Waluigi renders and Waluigi Pinball remixes in every musical genre. It'd have to be someone more challenger-pack friendly.
I don't think anyone seriously thinks that's how they would handle it. I also don't particularly think a Waluigi pack is that hard to put together outside of the spirit board... both Mario Kart and especially Mario Party have a lot of room for growth through Smash representation, if they chose to have him carry content from either of those series. Revitalizing Rainbow Road or bringing in a Waluigi Pinball track right alongside him seems easy enough, or a stage centered around a Mario Party board, complete with music hailing from either of those two series (Kart would likely be its own thing since that's how it's handled within My Music anyway).

And then as for spirits, Min Min and Pyra already reused some spirits that were already in the game so Waluigi can do the same for maybe like... those spirits of character renders from Mario Kart? Or for the Mario Party route, maybe some of the hosts / characters from those games that have yet to see proper representation. And maybe even abandoned spinoff characters like Plum? You've got options. Really they don't need to add THAT many new spirits anyway.

Bottom line if there's any series that should be worried about not having enough content opportunities to fill out a proper challenger pack... it's certainly not Mario and its various spinoffs. Even if it would be lame to some people.

I think Waluigi to win his place in the Super Smash Bros. series. as a newcomer he must acquire his own video game series.
None of the other Mario characters needed to do this. Just give it a good five years of intense fan demand leading into the next game and Waluigi will be the next big ticket character like Ridley or K. Rool. I've always found it silly that Waluigi for some reason needs to flat out have his own series of games to earn a spot in Smash but it's a surprisingly common assertion.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
With E3 coming next month, I can guess that either the last week of May or the First week of June might be the time to bring the announcements coming soon at E3.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
new characters revealed
this is what you want, right?
It's really weird that they added Conker before Banjo...

Personally, I'm rooting for Goemon. He's got an ugly N64 model.

Did we really get that few? As much as you don't like it, Echo Characters do count
Uh...no, they really don't.

If base game added 10 echoes and nothing else, everyone would be like "So...uh...no actual new characters huh?"

New topic: What characters would make good Premium Mii costumes in the same vein as Cuphead, Bomberman, Sans, and Vault Boy?
Like, arguably all of them. Every 3P Mii could benefit from a music track and not looking like a bad cosplayer(even if that means they have to look like a nendoroid version of a normal human character).

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think the best way to approach a challenger pack for Waluigi is to just embrace the meme and go along with the joke.

Waluigi Pinball stage
Music remixes only related to Waluigi
Spirits of all Waluigi appearances
Mii outfits of Foreman Spike, Waluigi's tennis outfit, etc

Have the reveal trailer say "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Waluigi"

Technomage

Smash Champion
I think the best way to approach a challenger pack for Waluigi is to just embrace the meme and go along with the joke.

Waluigi Pinball stage

Great idea, though Waluigi's tennis clothes could still easily work as one of his alt costumes.

p1cklee0424

Smash Cadet
i think there's one thing about waluigi that should be debated (outside of whether or not he'll get in, of course): will we get a swole waluigi alt? cuz if thats not in, i might have a stroke

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
i think there's one thing about waluigi that should be debated (outside of whether or not he'll get in, of course): will we get a swole waluigi alt? cuz if thats not in, i might have a stroke
Your idea of Swole Waluigi come from this video?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I know they didn't, but it's kinda funny how much it looks like Nintendo just ripped the Felyne hat from that game

Pillow

Smash Lord
While we're on the topic of FromSoft, how do you guys feel about the chances of Wolf from Sekiro? The release timing of that game is actually good for Smash DLC and as the game was developed by the same parent company, it feels kind of weird to list it among the many Dark Souls clones. It also helps that Wolf is an actual character with a name and personality, and the movement in the game is much less slow and cumbersome than Dark Souls is.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
While we're on the topic of FromSoft, how do you guys feel about the chances of Wolf from Sekiro? The release timing of that game is actually good for Smash DLC and as the game was developed by the same parent company, it feels kind of weird to list it among the many Dark Souls clones. It also helps that Wolf is an actual character with a name and personality, and the movement in the game is much less slow and cumbersome than Dark Souls is.
I think Dark Souls receives more attention than Sekiro because it came earlier, and is a little more iconic. It also had a game on the Switch, and a whole Amiibo.

However, unlike Bloodborne and Demon's Souls, Sekiro was not published by Sony. The salt if wolf was our Activision rep would be tangible.

To be honest, I think Sakurai and the team could make definitely a DS character fun, speeding up the character a little bit.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I think the chances are very low personally. Sekiro is one of my favorite FromSoft games, but I just don't see him getting in over anyone from Dark Souls. I don't think movement speed in a game matters that much when they select characters personally. I can't see them being like "Dark Souls is the more popular and influential series and the first one is on the Switch, but the movement speed is slow so we need to go with Sekiro". I would rank him above a hunter from Bloodborne or someone from Demon's Souls though. I cannot see Sony doing anything with smash.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I would definitely rather have Dark Souls instead of Sekiro. I actually like Bloodborne more than Dark Souls, but if we gotta have a Souls rep... a character from Dark Souls is the best option. That and well, even if that wasn't the case it's not like having Demon's Souls or Bloodborne would be likely to begin with considering Sony owns both.

I actually feel Dark Souls is kinda overlooked in speculation. I don't think a Souls rep is a particularly likely candidate, but considering the influency and the popularity that the series has amassed in the last decade, I feel a character from Dark Souls isn't an option that people has usually brought up.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think Dark Souls receives more attention than Sekiro because it came earlier, and is a little more iconic. It also had a game on the Switch, and a whole Amiibo.

However, unlike Bloodborne and Demon's Souls, Sekiro was not published by Sony. The salt if wolf was our Activision rep would be tangible.

To be honest, I think Sakurai and the team could make definitely a DS character fun, speeding up the character a little bit.
I think the chances are very low personally. Sekiro is one of my favorite FromSoft games, but I just don't see him getting in over anyone from Dark Souls. I don't think movement speed in a game matters that much when they select characters personally. I can't see them being like "Dark Souls is the more popular and influential series and the first one is on the Switch, but the movement speed is slow so we need to go with Sekiro". I would rank him above a hunter from Bloodborne or someone from Demon's Souls though. I cannot see Sony doing anything with smash.
I'm inclined to agree that Dark Souls is simply the biggest most significant franchise (as well as the pioneer for the genre it's literally called "Souls-Like"). I just also kinda feel that as Sekiro is a FromSoft game it's sort of a Dark Souls game in a roundabout way. I feel like most people acknowledge that DS is by far the likely candidate hero, I just wanted to entertain the possibility of someone else from FromSoft.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
For the first one, Octoling or Elma
For the second one, either Reimu, KOS-MOS, LoL or Neku
Mine would be Dixie Kong and Gordon Freeman. Though, if we were allowed to count other Capcom Fighting Games under Street Fighter, then I would definitely replace Dixie with Ruby Heart.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know much about Sekiro, but I hear there's a Posture Meter on enemies you can deplete for an instakill (Which probably wouldn't be put in Smash) and a prosthetic arm with some wacky gadgets (Which hopefully would be put in Smash). Can't explain any specifics, though.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
He'd be very cool (and my brother would love it because he's a huge Sekiro fan), but I'm not sure if I see it happening. Dark Souls is generally more iconic and working with Namco Bandai is likely easier than working with Activision simply because they're already on board, are assisting in Smash's development, and there's no language barrier. Plus, Wolf has never appeared on a Nintendo console, something Sakurai has said might be an issue in his Cloud interview from back in the day.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I sure hope no one here is a big Ubisoft fan because uhhh

I wonder what this really means for Ubisoft because on one hand most of their big single player games already come nowadays with a ton of microtransactions, but on the other hand I worry this might affect production of games that aren't AAA. I like their lowkey games like Valiant Hearts and it would suck if Ubisoft stop experimenting and making these kind of games. I long since stopped caring about Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs, but I still do care about some of their big title games like Tom Clancy and For Honor, and I still somewhat care about some of their smaller titles like Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil.

Regardless, this isn't a problem specific to Ubisoft, it's a problem that has been plaguing the industry for quite a while now and it doesn't seem like it will get any better.

Technomage

Smash Champion

I wonder what this really means for Ubisoft because on one hand most of their big single player games already come nowadays with a ton of microtransactions, but on the other hand I worry this might affect production of games that aren't AAA. I like their lowkey games like Valiant Hearts and it would suck if Ubisoft stop experimenting and making these kind of games. I long since stopped caring about Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs, but I still do care about some of their big title games like Tom Clancy and For Honor, and I still somewhat care about some of their smaller titles like Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil.

Regardless, this isn't a problem specific to Ubisoft, it's a problem that has been plaguing the industry for quite a while now and it doesn't seem like it will get any better.
Regardless, I don't think that'd be an influence on the chances of Rayman or Ezio Auditore (or any other Ubisoft character) entering Smash's roster, since Ubi wouldn't have to do any of the development.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

Waluigi Pinball stage

793px-MP3_Waluigis_Island_Board.png

Waluigi's Island from Mario Party 3 would be:

1. A Waluigi Stage
2. A Late Piranha Plant Stage
3. A Long Awaited Mario Party Stage

Knocking out 3 birds in one stone iffin ya ask me it's the better choice (though I wouldn't say no to Waluigi Pinball).

Also for Mii costumes... don't forget the still missing Red Shell Mii Hat :)

Technomage

Smash Champion
View attachment 314773

Waluigi's Island from Mario Party 3 would be:

1. A Waluigi Stage
2. A Late Piranha Plant Stage
3. A Long Awaited Mario Party Stage

Knocking out 3 birds in one stone iffin ya ask me it's the better choice (though I wouldn't say no to Waluigi Pinball).

Also for Mii costumes... don't forget the still missing Red Shell Mii Hat :)
First you come up with the idea of adding Eggman as the Sonic Forces rep, now you come up with this? You're a genius!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

From what I gathered in that article, it seems like Ubisoft's new plan is to more or less keep course with their current IPs and the way they're handling the production and distribution of non-AAA games, but release their AAA affairs at a more infrequent pace and as free-to-play titles. I expect a greater emphasis on online multiplayer and perhaps even "resource walls" where players have to cough up a large amount of tedious to obtain in-game currency that can be bought with real money to continue the story to make this system work.

That being said, it's most likely going to be irrelevant to Smash. Rayman isn't AAA and is therefore unlikely to be affected by this change. Ezio/Altair are likely also safe, seeing how Sonic 06, FF13, and Metal Gear Survive didn't impact Sonic, Cloud, or Snake's inclusions. Even if AC were to take a massive drop in quality due to this change in management, Smash would likely just reference the games from that series that are unanimously considered good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom