• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
With fighter: Another Sonic character. Amy, Metal Sonic, Shadow, Tails, Blaze, etc.

Not yet: Hehehehehehe. Y'all thought it was gonna be Ryu Hayabusa. It's not. Guy deconfirmed it. Turns out all along, it was a ninja illusion all along! You were hunting for a Hayabusa, when you SHOULD have been hunting for a Kasumi instead! You were hunting for one ninja when a completely different ninja burst out of nowhere and kicked you in the head.

View attachment 314739
Speaking of Ryu: If he got in, should he have his animations mirror his NES games, like what Simon and Mega Man got?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With fighter: Another Sonic character. Amy, Metal Sonic, Shadow, Tails, Blaze, etc.

Not yet: Hehehehehehe. Y'all thought it was gonna be Ryu Hayabusa. It's not. Guy deconfirmed it. Turns out all along, it was a ninja illusion all along! You were hunting for a Hayabusa, when you SHOULD have been hunting for a Kasumi instead! You were hunting for one ninja when a completely different ninja burst out of nowhere and kicked you in the head.

View attachment 314739
I would... actually be okay with this

ZelDan

Smash Master
I want to hope that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is not the last game of the series because there are so many characters that could come as newcomers.
As long as Nintendo continues to like money, we will continue to see more Smash bros in the future. What forms it will take, nobody knows, but it will take form nonetheless.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
For the first one, Octoling or Elma
For the second one, either Reimu, KOS-MOS, LoL or Neku
Dr. Eggman and Amaterasu for me

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I never once said or even hinted that I hated the character. All I said was that Daisy was in no way on the same level of 'mass appeal' as Steve or Sephiroth, which is already so ludicrous its hilarious, but the fact that you went as far as to call her 'more iconic than 90% of the cast' shows that you are clearly a tad obsessed.

Listen man, she's a videogame character, take it easy and go outside. It'll be OK.
I don't think Daisy is necessarily one of the most popular characters to ever exist or anything like that, but that said, I'm pretty sure she has a really huge and notable following all the same.

Wasn't the reason she was added as an echo in the first place was because of her popularity?
I'll take some fire for that statement:

I THINK DAISY IS MORE POPULAR THAN STEVE, SEPHIROTH, BANJO, MEGAMAN AND SNAKE

Though the question is, will every fighter return?
Depends, either they make a new game from scraps and no, they won't. Or they make a deluxe Ultimate game and this would be much easier.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I would... actually be okay with this

Bring the other DOA girls as spirits and whatever (Mila spirit fighting Little Mac, Tina spirit fighting Incineroar, etc), some of the music and such... I'd actually love this MORE than Hayabusa if I'm honest.

Nonbelievers will be punched by Marie Rose

WAIT WAIT NO SHE'S GONNA PUNCH YA NOOOOOOOOO DON'T PUNCH MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
E0v8Y1pXsAABFnu.jpg

jk

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I never once said or even hinted that I hated the character. All I said was that Daisy was in no way on the same level of 'mass appeal' as Steve or Sephiroth, which is already so ludicrous its hilarious, but the fact that you went as far as to call her 'more iconic than 90% of the cast' shows that you are clearly a tad obsessed.
She's a Mario character, these characters by default are already more iconic and harbor more mass appeal than nearly everyone else in the game. I'm not gonna argue against Steve, but yes it's not crazy to suggest a Mario character is bigger than Sephiroth. Not that the "hype" is equivalent, which is clearly isn't for a variety of factors (particularly that the response we get is from more hardcore / dedicated fans involved within the community), but I bet you out of the 24 million people who have bought Smash Ultimate... about 24 million of them were already familiar with the entire Mario cast.

Keep in mind one of the only games that has outsold Smash on the Switch is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, with 36 million sales. The mass appeal I'm referring to is your every day casual gamer, who is well familiarized with the cast of Mario Kart but would struggle to identify a very significant chunk of the Smash roster.

It's literally unfair to compare Mario characters (including DK, Diddy, Wario...) to the bulk of the roster because these are characters even your grandmother has at least seen before. The aforementioned Steve is one of the only characters who can challenge that. I should also acknowledge which character is being featured front and center to promote Nintendo's theme park:

1620759510175.png

Also, that isn't all you said. You said "Daisy appealed to one nutjob specifically", which is demonstrably false and reeks of living inside a bubble. Your response to my correcting you was to compare me to a delusional fanboy, to which I gave you a reply that reflected the same lack of respect you gave to me. I don't take kindly to that nor do I think it's fair of you to suddenly act like you're the reasonable one.

Listen man, she's a videogame character, take it easy and go outside. It'll be OK.
This is a lazy deflection and a really immature way to confirm that you were wrong and have nothing else to do but try and insult me. You're also arguing about a video game character on a video game board, this isn't the epic own you thought it was.

The poetic irony of this is that I received your reply while out on my daily stroll. It's very beautiful out today, if you weren't aware.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wouldn't exactly bet on it, especially considering Sakurai's words in the past implying the Everyone is here is likely a one time thing.
To be fair he said that at its initial reveal at E3 2018. After release, it shattered sales expectations and I think as long as third party relations remain good it shouldn’t be an issue to have “EVERYONE IS HERE!... AGAIN!”

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To Smash fans, Mario characters are probably way less "hype" than third party icons, like Sephiroth.
Even then it took Sephiroth actually joining the battle for a lot of Smash fans to go "oh, right, he's hype because he's mother ****ing Sephiroth, coming from a game that already has a fighter be damned".

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This one is really tough because there are so many characters I really want both from existing and new franchises but if I had to pick just one from each, I think I would probably choose:

Existing - Gengar (Pokémon)
New - Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Since talking about Mario, never forget that Toad wearing a hat is canon.
This is him without it.

You've all been cursed with this knowledge now.

Edit: Oh they retracted it in Odyssey, shoot. Anyway take this cursed picture.
9b6d7104c24ed7169c749722de37b73f-700x529.jpg

The old Super Show from when I was a kid, he took it off when he was crying during the Tiger Mask-style "wrestling for orphanage money" episode.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
View attachment 314744

The old Super Show from when I was a kid, he took it off when he was crying during the Tiger Mask-style "wrestling for orphanage money" episode.
Nintendo is really changing the lore however they want. At least they didn't go too far as below:

Artist realizing these black holes could have been not eyes but nostrils.
A terrifying concept.

Apparently it was either that or drawing Peach cutting down trees while eating wonderbread.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
For the first one, I really had to think about it, and ended up deciding on Decidueye.
As for the second one, I think everybody here knows my answer.

D

Deleted member

She's a Mario character, these characters by default are already more iconic and harbor more mass appeal than nearly everyone else in the game. I'm not gonna argue against Steve, but yes it's not crazy to suggest a Mario character is bigger than Sephiroth. Not that the "hype" is equivalent, which is clearly isn't for a variety of factors (particularly that the response we get is from more hardcore / dedicated fans involved within the community), but I bet you out of the 24 million people who have bought Smash Ultimate... about 24 million of them were already familiar with the entire Mario cast.

Keep in mind one of the only games that has outsold Smash on the Switch is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, with 36 million sales. The mass appeal I'm referring to is your every day casual gamer, who is well familiarized with the cast of Mario Kart but would struggle to identify a very significant chunk of the Smash roster.

It's literally unfair to compare Mario characters (including DK, Diddy, Wario...) to the bulk of the roster because these are characters even your grandmother has at least seen before. The aforementioned Steve is one of the only characters who can challenge that. I should also acknowledge which character is being featured front and center to promote Nintendo's theme park:

View attachment 314741

Also, that isn't all you said. You said "Daisy appealed to one nutjob specifically", which is demonstrably false and reeks of living inside a bubble. Your response to my correcting you was to compare me to a delusional fanboy, to which I gave you a reply that reflected the same lack of respect you gave to me. I don't take kindly to that nor do I think it's fair of you to suddenly act like you're the reasonable one.

This is a lazy deflection and a really immature way to confirm that you were wrong and have nothing else to do but try and insult me. You're also arguing about a video game character on a video game board, this isn't the epic own you thought it was.

The poetic irony of this is that I received your reply while out on my daily stroll. It's very beautiful out today, if you weren't aware.
Nah, it's massively humid near me. Its rarely 'nice' here.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144

View attachment 314741

I never knew you to be such a savage, Louie. Those comebacks were as hot as the current temperature in Florida (83 degrees Fahrenheit).

For the first one, definitely another Mega Man rep. I mean, just look at my signature!
The second? I have many, many, manymanymanymanymany, MANY possibilities, so I'd rather just not explain them.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, all the fighters returning in future entries seems very unlikely as Sakurai himself said. I guess there's a chance they manage to do it again but I think it's just better to assume Ultimate is a one time thing... which will probably be the case.

Well, why not.

For the already repped series I'm lately in the mood for Alucard or Zero.
And for the new series, my first pick would be Dante.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Since talking about Mario, never forget that Toad wearing a hat is canon.
This is him without it.

You've all been cursed with this knowledge now.

Edit: Oh they retracted it in Odyssey, shoot. Anyway take this cursed picture.
Three strands of hair?

EEnE_Titles.jpg

He's an ed boy!

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
For returning series, I'm on the team of a "second Sonic fighter". I would prefer Eggman or Knuckles.

For new series, yeah Dark Souls. Chosen would be my first choice, but this guy might fit a little better if we're not taking the protagonist path. I know Nintendo and Sakurai probably wouldn't, though.
dark_souls__artorias_the_abysswalker_by_hq_kamissar_d74e148-pre.jpg

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I have two plausible scenarios:
  1. BWD and Crash
  2. Dr. Eggman and Sora

7NATOR

Smash Master
Anybody have guesses at the potential spirit event for tonight? Probably another tourney, but maybe.
It probably be another Tourney this time. Maybe this tourney could be helpful for speculation, but probably not this time, except for maybe stressinthe weirdness of the absense of certain tourneys

You clearly haven't paid attention to companies like Ubisoft, Activision and EA. There's a reason why they have a pattern of making less game and including more micro-transactions wherever they can get away with it. Do a little Google search my friend and you will find out how game companies nowadays make most of their money via DLC. I mean, EA is the king of releasing almost the same sports game with almost no changes every year, but they have what is essentially a gacha game within these games that requires real money to get powerful athletes and they reset every year when the next game launches.

See, any informed person will tell you that, in the gaming industry, the $60 you pay for your game barely scratches anything in terms of the costs put into making the game just as fast as they will tell you that any new console that comes out is being sold at a large loss to the company. This is why products need to meet and exceed thresholds in general, so as to make a profit and not go broke. Now Ultimate is incredibly successful, and surely they made back and then some on the money spent on resources to create the base game, but facts are that DLC is much easier and less costly to make in a shorter amount of time.

Now, suppose they do exactly what people are suggesting here, and after the last two characters they wait until the next console comes out. What if that console is the next WiiU and fails, thus hurting the sales of the next Smash by default (don't forget that numbers show that Smash 4 WiiU sold poorly in comparison to other titles in the franchise, perhaps the worst)? Nintendo has been on this weird off-again-on-again with home consoles since the N64 did well and the Gamecube didn't originally, so it could happen. If they have to make all these cuts to the roster, flat out they will lose out in sales massively. Losing most or all of the third party picks will be a huge blow, especially since they brought in a huge number of players who would rather play Steve on their Switch. Considering how massive the success is, much like Melee and Brawl, Ultimate could end up being so big that it's successor is actually doomed to be a failure. What happens if the costs aren't covered or it barely makes a profit?

And Ultimate Deluxe solves all this by being able to keep the whole roster and just add to it while updating it just enough for the newer console, but it screws over all the original buyers since they paid for the DLC already, especially so if it's still within the Switch's lifetime. The PR from this would be yet another notch on the 'Nintendo is bad company now' belt and since it's a controversy over Ultimate, one of their biggest games, it could very well get out of hand.

Or they could just do more DLC, make more profit since more DLC that attracts players from outside the Smash circle sells more copies of the game (a la Steve) and costs much less in resources, and then when the time comes they just bite the bullet for the next Smash game, knowing it will never reach the heights of this one...but at least we made all the sweet DLC money while we did! They could also do what I just said AND somehow port it all over for the next console after the Switch and just add on then, or perhaps they just re-sell characters? You want to play as Snake in Super Smash Bros Universe? Well we had to renegotiate for him, so rather than him being in the base game he will cost ya $5.99. We'll give you his stage with him as a bundle, and don't worry we added nothing to him but graphical upgrades!
Ubisoft, EA, and Activision do alot of Microtransactions and DLC, and yes I've heard that the $60 is not enough these days as games are getting bigger, and with inflation counted, games are technically cheaper to buy. DLC is a great way to recoup more costs and gain more profit, that is the truth. With that being said, If DLC were all these companies needed, they wouldn't be releasing games on a yearly or Bi-yearly basis.

Activision takes the time to make New Call of Dutys, Ubisoft takes the time to make new Assassins Creed, and EA takes the time to make New Sports games, because they know that there is alot of Money to be made from Casuals buying the base game. There's a massive drop-off between people that buy just the base game and people who also buy the DLC after all. As games also get older and more DLC Costs (for the consumer) starts piling up, less and less people buy into the DLC

DLC Gets money from the more Hardcore players that stay with the game. The Actual game gets money from those people, but also the Massive amount Casual players as well

You can even see this when it comes to Fighting games with NRS. NRS Typically releases new games on a Bi-yearly Basis. MK9 in 2011, Injustice in 2013, MKX in 2015, Injustice 2 in 2017, MK11 in 2019, and these games have lots of DLC as well, yet they don't just rely on DLC forever. Other Fighting game publishers keep releasing DLC for years and years because they don't have the resources or Completed plans to make a whole new game, and DLC Sustains the Company and dev team until they can get to that point. NRS, and Nintendo have the resources to be able to more quickly plan out and Make New complete games

Now as for Smash Ultimate Deluxe, and also the problem of the next Console or next revision failing, for the Console thing, I'm sure that if there were a New Smash game or a Upgraded/Rebranded version of Ultimate, they would have a version on the current console. Perhaps there may be an Exclusive version on the New consoles that has features that could only work on there, but I'm sure they have a plan for people that might stay behind. Splatoon 3 and BOTW2 are releasing on the Same console as their predecessors, so I'm sure a New Smash could also do the same

Now One thing that I do see in this debate is that compared to the Examples I listed, Smash more heavily takes content from more 3rd party sources than usual, and I bet that trend will continue into the next game, so Costs for licensing are more of a factor into this, as well as cooperation and such. that might affect

This is the Scenario I predict is actually gonna happen when it comes to what the Last 2 Fighters are...though I got to make sure and pay attention to what tourney they have today

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It probably be another Tourney this time. Maybe this tourney could be helpful for speculation, but probably not this time, except for maybe stressinthe weirdness of the absense of certain tourneys

Ubisoft, EA, and Activision do alot of Microtransactions and DLC, and yes I've heard that the $60 is not enough these days as games are getting bigger, and with inflation counted, games are technically cheaper to buy. DLC is a great way to recoup more costs and gain more profit, that is the truth. With that being said, If DLC were all these companies needed, they wouldn't be releasing games on a yearly or Bi-yearly basis.

Activision takes the time to make New Call of Dutys, Ubisoft takes the time to make new Assassins Creed, and EA takes the time to make New Sports games, because they know that there is alot of Money to be made from Casuals buying the base game. There's a massive drop-off between people that buy just the base game and people who also buy the DLC after all. As games also get older and more DLC Costs (for the consumer) starts piling up, less and less people buy into the DLC

DLC Gets money from the more Hardcore players that stay with the game. The Actual game gets money from those people, but also the Massive amount Casual players as well

You can even see this when it comes to Fighting games with NRS. NRS Typically releases new games on a Bi-yearly Basis. MK9 in 2011, Injustice in 2013, MKX in 2015, Injustice 2 in 2017, MK11 in 2019, and these games have lots of DLC as well, yet they don't just rely on DLC forever. Other Fighting game publishers keep releasing DLC for years and years because they don't have the resources or Completed plans to make a whole new game, and DLC Sustains the Company and dev team until they can get to that point. NRS, and Nintendo have the resources to be able to more quickly plan out and Make New complete games

Now as for Smash Ultimate Deluxe, and also the problem of the next Console or next revision failing, for the Console thing, I'm sure that if there were a New Smash game or a Upgraded/Rebranded version of Ultimate, they would have a version on the current console. Perhaps there may be an Exclusive version on the New consoles that has features that could only work on there, but I'm sure they have a plan for people that might stay behind. Splatoon 3 and BOTW2 are releasing on the Same console as their predecessors, so I'm sure a New Smash could also do the same

Now One thing that I do see in this debate is that compared to the Examples I listed, Smash more heavily takes content from more 3rd party sources than usual, and I bet that trend will continue into the next game, so Costs for licensing are more of a factor into this, as well as cooperation and such. that might affect

This is the Scenario I predict is actually gonna happen when it comes to what the Last 2 Fighters are...though I got to make sure and pay attention to what tourney they have today
What if it’s a new Spirit Event (I.e. completely new Spirits, not a “themed” one)?

SKX31

Smash Master

To add to your point:

Zhuge recently posted a list over the biggest video game corps during last year. The list went:

1. Tencent ($29,30 billion)
2. Sony ($22,67 billion)
3. Nintendo ($15,79 billion)
4. Microsoft ($13,83 billion)
5. NetEase ($8,37 billion)

This includes only game-related revenue, but also hardware (and in Tencent's case, revenue gained through its social media business).

It's pretty damn telling that Nintendo became one of gaming's biggest corps with Mario and his series being a primary factor behind it. To the point Nintendo outperforms Microsoft's game business. Something which again, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe helped achieve (its getting kinda close to outselling the Xbox One!).

FTR, Sony and Microsoft need no introduction as to why they're on this list - the PlayStation / Xbox ecosystems are vast and sprawling. Tencent is not just here because of the number of studios they have shares in, but also since as alluded to above they have a Facebook-esque social media system in China (WeChat) and tons of mobile games, most of which are on said social media system. Including the two biggest (PUBG Mobile and Honor of Kings). NetEase might be a bit surprising, but they also have a lot of mobile games*, a couple of which (Knives Out and Identity V) are really big in Japan, and are themselves A-B's and Minecraft's partner in China.

*(The Chinese hardcore call Tencent "The Penguin Factory" and NetEase "The Pig Factory" presumably due to them churning out a lot of games.)

Also, whoops Universal Display Corp (the OLED guys):

oled.jpg

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To add to your point:

Zhuge recently posted a list over the biggest video game corps during last year. The list went:

1. Tencent ($29,30 billion)
2. Sony ($22,67 billion)
3. Nintendo ($15,79 billion)
4. Microsoft ($13,83 billion)
5. NetEase ($8,37 billion)

This includes only game-related revenue, but also hardware (and in Tencent's case, revenue gained through its social media business).

It's pretty damn telling that Nintendo became one of gaming's biggest corps with Mario and his series being a primary factor behind it. To the point Nintendo outperforms Microsoft's game business. Something which again, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe helped achieve (its getting kinda close to outselling the Xbox One!).

FTR, Sony and Microsoft need no introduction as to why they're on this list - the PlayStation / Xbox ecosystems are vast and sprawling. Tencent is not just here because of the number of studios they have shares in, but also since as alluded to above they have a Facebook-esque social media system in China (WeChat) and tons of mobile games, most of which are on said social media system. Including the two biggest (PUBG Mobile and Honor of Kings). NetEase might be a bit surprising, but they also have a lot of mobile games*, a couple of which (Knives Out and Identity V) are really big in Japan, and are themselves A-B's and Minecraft's partner in China.

*(The Chinese hardcore call Tencent "The Penguin Factory" and NetEase "The Pig Factory" presumably due to them churning out a lot of games.)

Also, whoops Universal Display Corp (the OLED guys):

View attachment 314750
WELP it’s happening soon boyos

still hate the name Switch Pro. It’ll confuse people looking for the controller

7NATOR

Smash Master
What if it’s a new Spirit Event (I.e. completely new Spirits, not a “themed” one)?
Well Hopefully this time I won't forget to do the Actual event because I missed both the Monster Hunter and Bowser's Fury Spirits

Though for Speculation purposes, unless the Spirit event is from a New Company or something like that, I doubt it would change much for Speculation purposes. I actually think Tourneys as of now are a bigger deal when it comes to speculation, though I know that opinion is unpopular. In any case today should be a tourney since last time was Spirit event

ZelDan

Smash Master
WELP it’s happening soon boyos

still hate the name Switch Pro. It’ll confuse people looking for the controller
If we are to get some sort of new Switch model, I doubt they'd call it the "Switch Pro." That's too...straight forward or predictable considering how Nintendo is when it comes to hardware naming/branding.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If we are to get some sort of new Switch model, I doubt they'd call it the "Switch Pro." That's too...straight forward or predictable considering how Nintendo is when it comes to hardware naming/branding.
I think that's exactly why they'd call it the Switch Pro. One of the big takeaways from the Wii U was that general consumers were confused about whether it was an add-on to the original Wii or a new console altogether, which really harmed sales. As such, a straightforward name that immediately explains the Switch Pro's relationship with the original (it's a slightly more powerful model of the same hardware) seems like it would fit perfectly.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
CP 10:Reimu
CP 11: Porky Minch

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I think that's exactly why they'd call it the Switch Pro. One of the big takeaways from the Wii U was that general consumers were confused about whether it was an add-on to the original Wii or a new console altogether, which really harmed sales. As such, a straightforward name that immediately explains the Switch Pro's relationship with the original (it's a slightly more powerful model of the same hardware) seems like it would fit perfectly.
Well sure, I could see, and hope, that Nintendo has learned from their past branding mistakes (New 3DS, Wii U). I still wouldn't exactly be surprised if they try to be more creative or think outside of the box for a name for a new Switch model though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom