• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Has anyone brought up this possilibity?

We do get a Tales character but it's Alphen to promote Arise.

Just food for thought. What do you all think?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

It's possible, considering that Sakurai has played other games before they released to get an idea of what the character is like. But if they do go for a Tales character it would also be a safe bet to choose someone else like Lloyd and Yuri who are already established characters that are very popular. Plus I don't think Arise is confirmed for the Switch so I don't see an incentive for Nintendo to choose Alphen when they could instead go for Yuri for example who is uber popular to the point of being banned from fan polls and already has his game on the Switch.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's possible, considering that Sakurai has played other games before they released to get an idea of what the character is like. But if they do go for a Tales character it would also be a safe bet to choose someone else like Lloyd and Yuri who are already established characters that are very popular. Plus I don't think Arise is confirmed for the Switch so I don't see an incentive for Nintendo to choose Alphen when they could instead go for Yuri for example who is uber popular to the point of being banned from fan polls and already has his game on the Switch.
Lloyd I feel is out of the running being at this point with all the Sm4sh Miis having returned, I don't see how with all having returned why he'd be the sole exception and expect him to return as a Mii with a swordfighter character being the last in line of the returning Sm4sh Miis.

Which is why if it comes down to a Tales character it's between Alphen and Yuri coming with the Lloyd Mii.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How about the “other” Arise protagonist, Shionne?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
How about the “other” Arise protagonist, Shionne?
If anyone from Arise is gonna get in it's Alphen being he's the actual focused and main protagonist whereas Shionne is just a deuteragonist.

"But Minm-"

As Sakurai stated according to ARMS creator that everyone is the protagonist so it doesn't count.

Simply put protagonist and deuteragonist isn't exactly the same thing.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Lloyd I feel is out of the running being at this point with all the Sm4sh Miis having returned, I don't see how with all having returned why he'd be the sole exception and expect him to return as a Mii with a swordfighter character being the last in line of the returning Sm4sh Miis.

Which is why if it comes down to a Tales character it's between Alphen and Yuri coming with the Lloyd Mii.
Just because all the other costumes returned doesn't mean that Lloyd HAS to return as a costume too. I could see people being confused on why he would be the only costume upgraded if Monster Hunter and others weren't able to take that leap, but with Smash you never know. That is why I will continue to believe that Lloyd still has a chance until I see that costume.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
If anyone from Arise is gonna get in it's Alphen being he's the actual focused and main protagonist whereas Shionne is just a deuteragonist.

"But Minm-"

As Sakurai stated according to ARMS creator that everyone is the protagonist so it doesn't count.

Simply put protagonist and deuteragonist isn't exactly the same thing.
But Pyra and Mythra

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just because all the other costumes returned doesn't mean that Lloyd HAS to return as a costume too. I could see people being confused on why he would be the only costume upgraded if Monster Hunter and others weren't able to take that leap, but with Smash you never know. That is why I will continue to believe that Lloyd still has a chance until I see that costume.
I mean 39 or so out of the 40?

Yeah...I don't see it at this point.
But Pyra and Mythra
Ok, you got me there. That one slipped my mind apparently.

Edit: As Dangan mentioned. Sakurai was going to make it Rex as the playable character but couldn't due to technical issues. Plus some argue being they're the focal point of the story that Pythra are basically the protagonists.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
But Pyra and Mythra
Technical limitations as Rex & Pyra didn’t work out.

Doubt it. All the promotional characters we have gotten are first-party because that would make more business sense than putting in a third-party character for promotion as Nintendo would get all the profits from those game sales. Even Hero and Joker, the newest third-party characters, are a 2017 and 2016 character respectively and the furst pass was decided in 2018. If any Tales of character is going to get in due to recency, it would likely be Velvet.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I noticed it didn't seem to fit the other renders too
View attachment 314227View attachment 314228
Look at their overalls. Look at Waluigi's. Based on the differences, we can safely conclude this new render has nothing to do with Smash.
Not that I really think the new render has anything to do with Smash, either, but it's worth keeping in mind that every fighter has their own fighter spirit, which do not necessarily fit Smash's art style. Mario and Luigi have their usual, far less detailed and non-realistic overalls in their fighter spirits, while Wario's Overalls fighter spirit (and his Biker one, for that matter) isn't even in the same dimension. There is absolutely no chance that the new render is Waluigi's Smash render, which would appear on the fighter select screen and elsewhere, but there's almost nothing in the way of it being his new fighter spirit.

I say "almost," because fighter spirits tend to be from older games. On the other hand, we have no way of knowing how old this never-before-seen render actually is. I do believe it might point to something, but I have no real reason to assume that this something is Smash. Nor should I rule it out.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doubt it. All the promotional characters we have gotten are first-party because that would make more business sense than putting in a third-party character for promotion as Nintendo would get all the profits from those game sales. Even Hero and Joker, the newest third-party characters, are a 2017 and 2016 character respectively and the furst pass was decided in 2018. If any Tales of character is going to get in due to recency, it would likely be Velvet.
One could argue Sephiroth though being he was revealed in December, the month the first Final Fantasy came out.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
One could argue Sephiroth though being he was revealed in December, the month the first Final Fantasy came out.

Also technically Steve as he was revealed the weekend before Minecon.
Even then, they were highly established characters from 1997 and 2011 respectively. We haven’t gotten a third-party character that didn’t even debut in a game after Fighter Pass/base roster was decided so I don’t see that as likely.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Looks at Galaxy and Skyward Sword.

Sigh.....

Can't blame Retro Studios to be honest. If they're skeptical of porting the Metroid Prime Trilogy to the Switch, then it's their thoughts on it. It's not a 2D anthology that Nintendo can easily port to the Switch (like they did with Street Fighter 30th Anniversary, Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection, or SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium).

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Can't blame Retro Studios to be honest. If they're skeptical of porting the Metroid Prime Trilogy to the Switch, then it's their thoughts on it. It's not a 2D anthology that Nintendo can easily port to the Switch (like they did with Street Fighter 30th Anniversary, Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection, or SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium).
For the record, this dude hasn't been apart of Retro since like 2011.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

In other news Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins has been trademarked in EU. The games have never been released there.
On the one hand, Origins never released in Europe. On the other hand, Bandai Namco doesn't seem to care about their Monolith Soft IPs, namely Xenosaga.

Also, when's Klonoa Encore coming?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I think the lack of Tales content so far could have to do with Kousuke Fujishima's involvement. As far as I know, no other third-party Mii required Nintendo to consult the character designer for licensing, and make their name appear in the copyrights list.

Still think it's weird that Tales hasn't gotten anything yet. Then again, I think it's weird that Dark Souls hasn't gotten anything yet.

On the one hand, Origins never released in Europe. On the other hand, Bandai Namco doesn't seem to care about their Monolith Soft IPs, namely Xenosaga.

Fun fact: the song Valedictory Elegy, from Baten Kaitos: Origins, is in Smash for some reason.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
For the record, this dude hasn't been apart of Retro since like 2011.
Clickbait gonna clickbait, I guess

Fun fact: the song Valedictory Elegy, from Baten Kaitos: Origins, is in Smash for some reason.
That reason being that Nintendo published Origins instead of Namco, although that probably doesn't give them ownership of the IP as a whole.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think the lack of Tales content so far could have to do with Kousuke Fujishima's involvement. As far as I know, no other third-party Mii required Nintendo to consult the character designer for licensing, and make their name appear in the copyrights list.

Still think it's weird that Tales hasn't gotten anything yet. Then again, I think it's weird that Dark Souls hasn't gotten anything yet.
But we already got Lloyd's costume. And multiple characters from Tales designed by him have appeared in other games beyond Tales games, like Yuri in Project x Zone.

As of now there's nothing that suggests he could be a hurdle if Nintendo wants a Tales rep. They would have to talk with him because he owns his designs, and also he's the one who decides how they are personality wise so Sakurai would probably have to be in contact with him during development. But it doesn't necessarily mean he would be opposed.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
But we already got Lloyd's costume. And multiple characters from Tales designed by him have appeared in other games beyond Tales games, like Yuri in Project x Zone.

As of now there's nothing that suggests he could be a hurdle if Nintendo wants a Tales rep. They would have to talk with him because he owns his designs, and also he's the one who decides how they are personality wise so Sakurai would probably have to be in contact with him during development. But it doesn't necessarily mean he would be opposed.
I'm not saying he would be opposed, but it could be a possible explanation if Lloyd doesn't become a character. Like an explanation for the lack of base game Tales content.

Every other 3rd party Smash 4 Mii series has gotten something in Ultimate's base game. Tales was the exception. I'm just saying that if he isn't upgraded, and remains a Mii, this could have something to do with it.

To be fair, though, Tekken and Tower of Druaga only got Pac-Man taunt cameos. Both of them were pre-existing sprites, and since Lloyd doesn't have a retro styled sprite like that, that could be the reason he was excluded. Maybe it's just a Bandai Namco thing.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'd rather get an entirely new game with 32 new tracks
Lol, I'm sure you would. But every MK game has only had 16 new tracks.

MK8 eventually got 9 more, but as DLC.

but eventually I got bored of it and stuck with MK8/MK8D or even went back to Double Dash or Mario Kart 64..granted, that might just be that I wasn't that into MK Wii after a while..kinda like I wasn't with MKDS or MK7.
Now imagine if all of those courses were playable in MK8?

EVERYCOUSE IS HERE!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Hopefully soon

The account has also listed this recently:
So in other words, we just narrowly dodged a bullet. Or, perhaps it's not that narrow, if we're that far along already. Funnily enough, this announcement was posted on my birthday.

Technomage

Smash Champion
This thread is starting to slow down right now, so I'm gonna propose a new question: Of the 3rd-parties that already have a character in the roster, assuming any of them would get another character, what would each of their candidates be?

My theories:
Konami: Theoretical next fighter would likely be Bill Rizer, with Lance Bean as an alternate costume.
SEGA: Either Arle Nadja or a second Sonic character (most likely Dr. Eggman).
Capcom: Possible candidates are Chun-Li, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Morrigan Aensland
Namco-Bandai: Probably either Yuri Lowell, Velvet Crowe, Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Agumon, Solaire, or the Chosen Undead.
Square Enix: Possible candidates include YoRHa 2B, Sora, Neku Sakuraba, and Lara Croft
Microsoft: The most likely would most definitely be Master Chief, and other candidates include Fulgore and the Battletoads.
SNK: Since Terry Bogard and the rest of his Pass's content pretty much reps the entire SNK company pretty well, the only thing that seems lacking would be more Metal Slug content, which in my opinion, makes Marco Rossi the most likely 2nd SNK rep.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hopefully soon

The account has also listed this recently:
So in other words, we just narrowly dodged a bullet. Or, perhaps it's not that narrow, if we're that far along already. Funnily enough, this announcement was posted on my birthday.
Ok but Splatterhouse is dead despite having the potential to be absolutely amazing so this is bad news actually

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
This thread is starting to slow down right now, so I'm gonna propose a new question: Of the 3rd-parties that already have a character in the roster, assuming any of them would get another character, what would each of their candidates be?

My theories:
Konami: Theoretical next fighter would likely be Bill Rizer, with Lance Bean as an alternate costume.
Capcom: Possible candidates are Chun-Li, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Morrigan Aensland
Namco-Bandai: Probably either Yuri Lowell, Velvet Crowe, Nightmare, Solaire, or the Chosen Undead.
Square Enix: Possible candidates include YoRHa 2B, Sora, Neku Sakuraba, and Lara Croft
Microsoft: The most likely would most definitely be Master Chief, and other candidates include Fulgore and the Battletoads.
SNK: Since Terry Bogard and the rest of his Pass's content pretty much reps the entire SNK company pretty well, the only thing that seems lacking would be more Metal Slug content, which in my opinion, makes Marco Rossi the most likely 2nd SNK rep.
Konami: Raiden or Bill Rizer
SEGA: Dr Eggman, Tails or Arle
Capcom: Dante, Phoenix Wright or Chun-Li
Namco: Lloyd Irving, Yuri Lowell, Nightmare, Solaire or Chosen Undead
Square Enix: Lara Croft, 2B
Microsoft: Master Chief
SNK: Geese Howard

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

My theories:
Namco-Bandai: Probably either Yuri Lowell, Velvet Crowe, Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Agumon, Solaire, or the Chosen Undead.
Konami: Raiden (MGR Revengeance) I mean they went so far as to give him a spirit in base
Sega: Arle or Violet (P5R); the latter is per the Jane with the ponytail in Joker’s string, it fits Violet to a T
Capcom: Dante or Phoenix Wright... or maybe Amaterasu
Bandai Namco: Tales of character, Soul Calibur character, Dark Souls character, or KOS-MOS (+ T-elos?)
Square Enix: 2B, Neku Sakuraba, Crono
Microsoft: Master Chief... or Ori please let me dream
SNK: Metal Slug character, or a (HEAVILY censored) Mai Shiranui

taking into account vanilla Ultimate, a hypothetical Ultimate Deluxe/Encore, AND future installments

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Assuming this is for Ultimate and not future games:
Konami: Raiden or Bill Rizer & Lance Bean
Sega: Arle, a Phantasy Star character or another Sonic character.
Capcom: Dante, Morrigan or Chun-Li.
Bandai Namco: A Tales of character, Dark Souls character or Tekken character.
Square Enix: Either a Final Fantasy character from a different game, 2B or Lara Croft.
Microsoft: Master Chief
SNK: Either a Metal Slug rep or Nakoruru.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I don’t think we’d see something like that for a third party. Especially Namco since they’ve been really sheepish about adding characters as to not seemed biased. Skipping demanded characters with legacy like Lloyd, Yuri or Heihachi for a promotional pick would not go well at all.

Arise looks awesome though, so I wouldn’t be angry personally lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'm kinda doubtful for a couple reasons.

For one, the four characters chosen in advance in recent times - The two Pokemon and the two FE reps, you all should know who by now - Had a sizeable game between their game's release and their addition to Smash. In this scenario, Alphen would have to be debuting and getting DLC at the same time, which seems pretty unlikely to me.

The second is the fact that Arise isn't on the Switch, giving Nintendo no reason to promote it. We've had some content from upcoming third-party games like Joker's grappling hook from The Royal, but the bulk of the content is from games that have been out for a decent amount of time. An Arise pack would be almost entirely from a game that wasn't even out when it was chosen. When there's much safer characters who have already cemented themselves like Lloyd, Yuri, and Velvet, I don't see why Nintendo would pass over them to promote a game that's not even on their own systems.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

The issue here is that while characters like Byleth were planned in advance, that was the case because Nintendo published Three Houses and had insider knowledge about the production of the game. Nintendo has nothing to do with the Tales series so I doubt they would have any prior knowledge of what Arise would have been back in November 2019 where Fighter Pass 2 was seemingly finalised.

Technomage

Smash Champion

The chances of that happening depend on when Tales of Arise was announced; if it happened before November 2019, then I don't see Alphen happening (also, I don't think Nintendo would have been privvy to Arise's information before FP2's announcement).

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The thing is, Cloud and Bayonetta were only as damaging as they were because Smash 4 wasn't well balanced. It had a really small number of viable characters and then two characters come along that completely outclass anything in the game already. Ultimate has more viable characters than not so even if we got a character as broken as those two, it probably wouldn't be a huge deal.

Now that I think about it, as Ultimate had already entered development at that point, I do have to wonder if they were designed as Ultimate characters rather than Smash 4 characters.
Smash 4's balance actually wasn't all that bad for a while. There were 8 characters in A tier and another 8 in B tier. Plus the three S tiers and you had at least 19 viable characters - and that's not going into how much of B and C tier were arguably viable as well. If you count B tier as viable, then there were more viable characters in Smash 4 then there were characters in Melee.

The problem was just how dominating Cloud and Bayo became. Cloud was too easy to play and took over the meta, and Bayo was so effective in the right hands that people got sick of seeing her 0-to-deaths in grand finals. It made us forget how balanced the game really was before they were dropped in (and well, after the Hoo-ha got patched).

I'm pretty sure the Ultimate developers have learned from the past and will try to keep the final DLC characters from being too overtuned, but a part of me is still worried.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Arise isn't coming to the Switch as far as we know, and unlike Cloud, there is no overwhelming popularity compared to other characters in the series that do have their games on Nintendo systems (in fact, quite the opposite, characters like Yuri and Lloyd who have their games on Nintendo systems also have the advantage of having years to establish themselves as fan favorites, while Arise is brand new). Even Joker had his game released for a couple years before he was added to Smash, allowing Persona 5 to establish a solid fanbase before getting a character added.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
After the news about Toys for Bob I am hardcore pulling for Crash right now. I know Crash still has a chance to be in the public eye going forward if they get one of their other studios to do it, but Crash in Smash would just be a solid confirmation that Crash is here to stay and, honestly, I kinda need that for the Bandicoot.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I have many characters in mind, but Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon seem to be among the best choices.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey so uhhh has this been discussed yet

We do have one (1) Baten Kaitos song in Smash, no Spirits... 🤔

nah I don’t think it’s for a character, but nevertheless interesting they’re bringing this IP back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom