• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
That earlier post doesn't count. THIS is what we're talking about now.

TCG characters in Smash.

I think...

Technomage

Smash Champion

TCG characters in Smash.

I think...
Yeah, it would be interesting to see a card-battler repped in Smash.

Though what other candidates could we have? I know about Culdcept.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Sadly, Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't qualify apparently. Stupid manga coming out first, then introducing the card game later, which then overshadowed the original source material, putting us at risk of another Geralt situation...

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

TCG characters in Smash.

I think...
No, it's Bunston hours now
Please discuss Bunston

Ivander

Smash Legend

Besides Pokemon TCG and Culdcept, some other notable "Card-collecting" video games include Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 by From Software, Baten Kaitos 1/2 by Monolith Soft/Namco/Nintendo, Dinosaur King by Sega, Rage of Bahamut and Shadowverse by Cygames, Phantom Dust by Microsoft and Final Fantasy Fables. Megaman Battle Network and Star Force were also focused on "chip-collecting".

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
No, it's Bunston hours now
Please discuss Bunston
I played that game when I was a kid. Back when I was young and naive...

Bunston is cute.
Besides Pokemon TCG and Culdcept, some other notable "Card-collecting" video games include Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 by From Software, Baiten Kaitos 1/2 by Monolith Soft/Namco/Nintendo, Dinosaur King by Sega, Rage of Bahamut and Shadowverse by Cygames, Phantom Dust by Microsoft and Final Fantasy Fables. Megaman Battle Network and Star Force were also focused on "chip-collecting".
Baten Kaitos always seemed like one of those messes where it's hard to tell who owns what...

Ivander

Smash Legend
Baten Kaitos always seemed like one of those messes where it's hard to tell who owns what...
Namco owns the first one. Nintendo owns the second one. I think that's how it works, as the Baten Kaitos 2 characters are Spirits in Smash Ultimate and the main battle theme of BK2, The valedictory elegy, is a song in Smash 4 and Ultimate, but none of Baten Kaitos 1 is in Smash.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Namco owns the first one. Nintendo owns the second one. I think that's how it works, as the Baten Kaitos 2 characters are Spirits in Smash Ultimate and the main battle theme of BK2, The valedictory elegy, is a song in Smash 4 and Ultimate, but none of Baten Kaitos 1 is in Smash.
A company can own individual games in a series? Huh, the more you know...

Seems a bit pointless, but hey, I'm not the one involved in that.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Just noticed that Motoi Sakuraba arranged a lot of tracks in every Smash game, was MiA in FP1, and is all of a sudden arranging DLC tracks for Fighters Pass 2. He's the composer for Dark Souls, and a co-composer for some Tales games. I wonder if we'll get any songs he actually wrote this pass.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Just noticed that Motoi Sakuraba arranged a lot of tracks in every Smash game, was MiA in FP1, and is all of a sudden arranging DLC tracks for Fighters Pass 2. Wonder if we'll get any songs he actually wrote this pass
Are we saying that a Tales character or Dark Souls character is all but confirmed, considering Sakuraba is a common composer for the Tales series and Dark Souls series?

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Are we saying that a Tales character or Dark Souls character is all but confirmed, considering Sakuraba is a common composer for the Tales series and Dark Souls series?
No, lol. I just thought it was interesting that he's done Smash DLC songs. He's one of my favorite video game composers, so I brought it up

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
The only way I think this could pertain to a potential Tales or Souls fighter is that Sakuraba has had arrangements in every single Smash game since Melee, but has never had a paid DLC track until Fighters Pass 2. Suddenly he has a couple for the first time. Maybe they made a contract for more?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yoko Shimomura has also done remixes of Treasure Trove Cove, Andy Bogard’s Theme (Pasta yes that’s actually what it’s called), Dance of the Blocks and Cosmo Canyon.

I’d love to see her tackle a Smash-specific remix of Dearly Beloved if Sora ever got in.
This just reminded me that if we somehow get Sora and Kingdom Hearts music.....

We also have the possibility of getting these in Smash.
God I love video game crossovers.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If we're getting Yoko Shimomura in Smash for another song, she should really do something related to Mario RPG again. Remix, rearrangement, anything; just to have her do something with that wonderful OST one more time.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
While we're on the subject, who are your favorite video game composers?

Motoi Sakuraba, C418, and Naofumi Hataya for me. I could probably think of others, but those three mainly.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Sadly, Yu-Gi-Oh doesn't qualify apparently. Stupid manga coming out first, then introducing the card game later, which then overshadowed the original source material, putting us at risk of another Geralt situation...
Wait, are you sure that card game characters qualify for Sakurai's "video game characters only" rule?

Ivander

Smash Legend

Motoi Sakuraba, C418, and Naofumi Hataya for me. I could probably think of others, but those three mainly.
Notable ones include Koji Kondo, Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoko Shimomura, Kenji Ito, Nobuo Uematsu, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Motoi Sakuraba, Hiroki Kikuta and Yuzo Koshiro, although ACE/ACE+ and Masayoshi Soken have been really rising on my list lately. But I think the one I like the most is Yoko Shimomura.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Off-topic, TFB's been shoved into the Call of Duty mines.
I wouldn't be surprised if Activision only did this because Crash 4 didn't sell as weel as they'd hoped.

Technomage

Smash Champion

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Off-topic, TFB's been shoved into the Call of Duty mines.
I wouldn't be surprised if Activision only did this because Crash 4 didn't sell as weel as they'd hoped.
Not really surprising since this is the last year of Crash's five year plan so I'm thinking they're wrapping things up with him.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

My 3 favorites would be:

-Yuzo Koshiro. Above all else, I of course admire his work on the Streets of Rage series along with Motohiro Kawashima - these dudes have brought so many bangers to this world through these games, y'all. Though another soundtrack of Koshiro's that I absolutely love is Revenge of Shinobi, and I dig his work on stuff like Kid Icarus Uprising and the early Ys games as well. He's also done some of my favorite Smash remixes such as Norfair and the Psycho Soldier theme

-Hiroshi Kawaguchi. Legendary SEGA composer, responsible for the soundtracks to some of their classic arcade games like Space Harrier and OutRun and so on. Responsible for some iconic-ass tunes to the company and my favorite video game track of all time

-Tim Follin. This one has got a very different resume from the other two, having mainly worked on obscure and licensed NES games, often not all that great. Doesn't sound too impressive - however, he often had the tendency to go absolutely NUTS on that soundchip, creating **** that sounds absolutely ****ing transcendent for the time and honestly some of my favorite NES tracks ever. And we're talking about **** like the Silver Surfer and Pictionary. This man is the living, breathing embodiement of "did not need to go so hard".

Honorable mentions go to Hirokazu Tanaka, Jun Senoue, Nobuo Uematsu and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Yoko Shimomura has also done remixes of Treasure Trove Cove, Andy Bogard’s Theme (Pasta yes that’s actually what it’s called), Dance of the Blocks and Cosmo Canyon.

I’d love to see her tackle a Smash-specific remix of Dearly Beloved if Sora ever got in.
This just reminded me that if we somehow get Sora and Kingdom Hearts music.....

We also have the possibility of getting these in Smash.
Hell, a Smash-remixed anything Kingdom Hearts would be amazing. Whether we're talking Dive to the Heart, the Encounter or Rage Awakened.

Notable ones include Koji Kondo, Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoko Shimomura, Kenji Ito, Nobuo Uematsu, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Motoi Sakuraba, Hiroki Kikuta and Yuzo Koshiro, although ACE/ACE+ and Masayoshi Soken have been really rising on my list lately. But I think the one I like the most is Yoko Shimomura.
I'll mention some that don't get brought up here often (if at all), but deserve mention nevertheless:

For example, Frank Klepacki, the composer of the Command and Conquer games. In particular, Hell March is a highlight of his signature 90s "Rocktronic" style.

Andreas Waldetoft is Paradox's current composer, and is often able to capture the period-specific aspects of Paradox's historical games - Europa Universalis III's A Cruce Victoria is particularily beautiful.

Tetsuya Shibata apparently composed DMC 3, and damn, he did a great job. I personally consider Vergil's 2nd battle to be the best track out of many great ones there.

The current composers of the Civilization series - spearheaded by Christopher Tin - deserve a mention. I've been posting a lot of Civ VI music here for a reason: they're able to blend more traditional genres one might not associate with modernity with an ochestral / electronic flair in the later game eras and create strong cohesive wholes. Tin's collaboration with the Soweto Gospel Choir "Baba Yetu" was the first video game track to win a Grammy award (and the only one so far to even be nominated), and deserves its iconic status as "the Civilization track":

"Baba Yetu" = The Lord's Prayer in Swahili, by the by.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
This Toys For Bob thing is not some conspiracy to kill Crash Bandicoot and Spyro or to get Call Of Duty in Smash or some **** like that, Warzone probably needed some more development as a New COD is probably coming up this year, Activision probably just gave TFB this job because they weren't doing anything.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Not really surprising since this is the last year of Crash's five year plan so I'm thinking they're wrapping things up with him.
This... doesn't quite track to me. They make a five-year plan of what to do with the series, and then just... stop once it's over, instead of making more plans for stuff that'll come afterward? Like, as if the last step of the plan is "shove Crash back in the box for another decade"?

I think I might be misunderstanding your point, here...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Besides Pokemon TCG and Culdcept, some other notable "Card-collecting" video games include Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 by From Software, Baten Kaitos 1/2 by Monolith Soft/Namco/Nintendo, Dinosaur King by Sega, Rage of Bahamut and Shadowverse by Cygames, Phantom Dust by Microsoft and Final Fantasy Fables. Megaman Battle Network and Star Force were also focused on "chip-collecting".
Wasn't there also Card Hero (which I'm fairly sure is owned by Nintendo themselves)?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This... doesn't quite track to me. They make a five-year plan of what to do with the series, and then just... stop once it's over, instead of making more plans for stuff that'll come afterward? Like, as if the last step of the plan is "shove Crash back in the box for another decade"?

I think I might be misunderstanding your point, here...
Maybe they meant like one of those "complex business" things. Like, "we'll give it some time in the spotlight then see what happens", or something? It's also worth keeping in mind that Crash 4 apparently didn't meet expectations, but I don't have a source on that.

Is that a thing companies do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom