• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wasn't there also Card Hero (which I'm fairly sure is owned by Nintendo themselves)?
I was mentioning ones that I have heard of or played. And Card Hero was never released outside of Japan. That said, it was done by Nintendo and Intelligent Systems and it has had characters as trophies, stickers and Spirits.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
While we're on the subject, who are your favorite video game composers?

Motoi Sakuraba, C418, and Naofumi Hataya for me. I could probably think of others, but those three mainly.
I kinda feel Michiru Yamane doesn't get enough mentions considering she composed almost every Castlevania game starting with Castlevania: Bloodlines. She has an unique style.

She has also worked on Suikoden and Bloodstained.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
If anything, I think the fact that Sakuraba is on the sound team for Fighters Pass 2 (his first paid tracks) gives a small probability bump to a Tales or Souls character.

The ARMS composer arranged a DLC track for Minmin's challenger pack. ACE had DLC arrangements in Fighters Pass 2, and then had more in the Xenoblade 2 pack, a game they composed for. Kirkhope did Spiral Mountain for Banjo's pack. Yoko Shimomura had a long history with DLC arrangements in both Sm4sh and Ultimate. Beware the Forest Mushrooms, a song of hers from a game she composed for, was played in Nintendo's trailers for the paid Geno costume.

Just gives me a little more hope for a Bandai Namco character. Sakuraba is tied for the most arrangements in the Smash series, so he seems pretty willing to compose for Nintendo. To be honest, I think it's a little surprising that it took him so long to make a contract for DLC tracks.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I hope the bandai namco character is kos-mos
With hopefully a T-elos echo/semi-clone to boot

we need more female villains ya dig

and she’s literally the Sephiroth to KOS-MOS’s Cloud, wherever KOS-MOS goes, T-elos isn’t far behind

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I hope the bandai namco character is kos-mos
I’m personally really hoping for either Velvet Crowe or Nightmare. I love both of their designs and I thought Velvet was a really interesting main protagonist. I think she is probably my favorite main protagonist of any JRPG.

Technomage

Smash Champion

and she’s literally the Sephiroth to KOS-MOS’s Cloud, wherever KOS-MOS goes, T-elos isn’t far behind
Yeah, I thought we already have plenty of females and villains in the roster, but I never thought about female villains; I guess we could use more of those.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, I thought we already have plenty of females and villains in the roster, but I never thought about female villains; I guess we could use more of those.
The only female villain on the roster atm is Wendy and she’s an alt of Bowser Jr.

Only other choice I can think of atm is Dr. Coyle and I don’t see another ARMS rep until next Smash/Ult DX

Technomage

Smash Champion
The only female villain on the roster atm is Wendy and she’s an alt of Bowser Jr.

Only other choice I can think of atm is Dr. Coyle and I don’t see another ARMS rep until next Smash/Ult DX
Well, I personally count Piranha Plant as half a female villain, since plants in real life are hermaphrodites. Still pretty paltry, though.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Definitely. There are a lot of female villains I would love to see in Smash. Sarah Kerrigan, Jena Anderson, Medusa, Sylvanas, and debatably Edelgard and Velvet would be awesome to see.

Technomage

Smash Champion
My most wanted 2nd Namco rep would be Yuri; Smash could use a few more femboys.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Tales characters, I think Yuri might, might have an edge over Lloyd. Not that this matters too much, but Vesperia is on the Switch, and I'm sort of doubting that Lloyd will be the exception when it comes to returning Sm4sh miis.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My most wanted 2nd Namco rep would be Yuri. Smash could use a few more femboys.
Yuri was a great protagonist and would be my second choice for a Tales rep after Velvet. I hope they can get Troy Baker back if it ends up being Yuri. Nothing against Grant George but it feels wrong having anyone but Troy voice him.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
This... doesn't quite track to me. They make a five-year plan of what to do with the series, and then just... stop once it's over, instead of making more plans for stuff that'll come afterward? Like, as if the last step of the plan is "shove Crash back in the box for another decade"?

I think I might be misunderstanding your point, here...
Activision was probably thinking to themselves "Let's see if we can take this significant and valuable IP that many fans have a lot of nostalgia for and see if we can bring it back to it's former glory and not just reintroduce it to old fans, But to a new generation as well and make it one of our flagship franchises for the company".

I assume "5 Years" was a good sized window to test the waters and see how well the franchise can stand in today's gaming landscape to see if it can sink or swim.

After the 5 year window, I think Crash Bandicoot will still get the occasional major release maybe every 3-4 years ,But likely not at the same rate during the "5 Year Window" period which is to be expected as original content takes a lot more time than remastered games.

But I think it's safe to say that when it's all said and done after that Activision has mostly succeeded.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Yuri was a great protagonist and would be my second choice for a Tales rep after Velvet. I hope they can get Troy Baker back if it ends up being Yuri. Nothing against Grant George but it feels wrong having anyone but Troy voice him.
You know what? Velvet inclusion is very possible. Let's not foget that Berseria was the latest game of the Tales series released when the FP characters were decided back in 2018. Tales of Arise was revealed to the public at 2019, so i think it would me much more likely to Bamco to release Velvet as a rep from the most recent Tales game back at the time FP was decided. This would also explain why Lloyd hasn't return yet, as he could return as a Mii costume alongside her.

As for Yuri and Lloyd popularity and likelyhood as characters, that's a huge barrier for Velvet, of course, but Sakurai is the one that usually prefers unique characters over niche ones - and that just screams Velvet.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You know what? Velvet inclusion is very possible. Let's not foget that Berseria was the latest game of the Tales series released and the FP characters were decided back in 2018. Tales of Arise was revealed to the public at 2019, so i think it would me much more likely to Bamco to release Velvet as a rep from the most recent Tales game back at the time FP was decided. This would also explain why Lloyd hasn't return yet, as he could return as a costume alongside her.
Yeah, I feel like most people underestimate her chances. While she may not be as popular as Lloyd or Yuri, she does have a very unique design and play style as well as being from the then most recent game. If I had to put money on it, I’d say Lloyd and Yuri are more likely due to their larger fan bases but Velvet is also very possible.

If Velvet did get in, she would likely need the Mythra treatment with a toned down outfit to fit with an E rating but I don’t see that being a problem since Namco is directly involved in making Smash so they should be easier to negotiate with.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
When it comes to Tales characters, I think Yuri might, might have an edge over Lloyd. Not that this matters too much, but Vesperia is on the Switch, and I'm sort of doubting that Lloyd will be the exception when it comes to returning Sm4sh miis.
To be fair, we got Joker over any of the SMT characters and Cloud before FF7 hit the Switch. I'm not sure if Nintendo connections is really the main concern.

I'll also say that using the Lloyd Mii as something going for Yuri doesn't really sit well with me. I dunno, it kinda makes Yuri out to be a poor man's choice for Nintendo. "Oh no, Lloyd has a Mii that we have to bring back! I guess Yuri's the only other option." If Yuri gets added, the Mii will have nothing to do with it. Either Lloyd gets in on his own merits, or another Tales rep gets in on their own merits and brings back Lloyd's Mii because there's no reason not to. Using the Smash 4 Mii that may or may not come back as an upside to a non-Lloyd character is just a weak and flimsy argument.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Shushafushawachush
Definitely. There are a lot of female villains I would love to see in Smash. Sarah Kerrigan, Jena Anderson, Medusa, Sylvanas,

I don't care if she's more Kid Icarus content! She's one of the earliest Nintendo villains and has a kick-ass redesign.
Uprising_medusa_e3_2011_press_kit.png

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
And this is where I once again lament that Edelgard wasn't our TH rep

In fact, while I'm talkin' FE again, here's who I wish the series' roster in Smash was:
  1. Marth
  2. Roy
  3. Ike
  4. Chrom (Ike's Echo)
  5. Robin
  6. Azura
  7. Edelgard

Gengar84

Smash Hero
And this is where I once again lament that Edelgard wasn't our TH rep

In fact, while I'm talkin' FE again, here's who I wish the series' roster in Smash was:
  1. Marth
  2. Roy
  3. Ike
  4. Chrom (Ike's Echo)
  5. Robin
  6. Azura
  7. Edelgard
Realistically I would have loved either Dimitri or Edelgard. Less realistically, I also really like Petra, Shamir, Katherine, Bernadette, and Felix.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I would've loved any of the house leaders. Nintendo usually goes for protagonists, though, so it's understandable that we got Byleth.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I would've loved any of the house leaders. Nintendo usually goes for protagonists, though, so it's understandable that we got Byleth.
It’s understandable but still disappointing to me. Personally, I think Byleth was the most boring character they could have chosen. I’ve never really cared much for Silent avatar characters, although Joker is an exception.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
It’s understandable but still disappointing to me. Personally, I think Byleth was the most boring character they could have chosen. I’ve never really cared much for Silent avatar characters, although Joker is an exception.
Yeah, for me it wasn't surprising, but still kinda disappointing. Three Houses has so many other cool characters.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking earlier today about non-videogame characters. I don't think it's going to happen, and I don't really want it to happen.

However, in a world where it could happen, who do you think Nintendo would go for? What do you think the most sensible decision for them would be?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I was thinking earlier today about non-videogame characters. I don't think it's going to happen, and I don't really want it to happen.

However, in a world where it could happen, who do you think Nintendo would go for? Who would you want.
The only ones I could every truly see would be characters that are intrinsically tied to videogames or are heavily associated with videogames

so like Geralt... Hatsune Miku... Maybe Sora with full-use of Disney Content...

Characters like Goku, Spider-man or James Bond, are more well known from their content outside the games. (Although Goku was explicitly name dropped so what do I know what is believable and what is not.)

If it was up to me though, I think Luffy could be fun, Kamen Rider Ex-aid would also be cool.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Aren't they the same in appearance? Though I will admit those two incarnations could easily have different abilities from each other (even if they don't give YL his mask transformations; on the other hand, maybe he could have still incorporated a Mask mechanic similar to Shulk's Monado Arts (for example, YL could equip a Bomb Mask that causes an explosion around him whenever he's attacked, or a Stone Mask that makes him invisible even to homing projectiles like Samus's missiles)?).
The basic design for Young Link in Majora's Mask is the same (though his artwork seems less 'childish' in MM (I can't quite explain it..I think its the cheeks?) but his gear is all different from how it looks in Ocarina of Time..and, in most cases, are incarnations Young Link can actually canonically use, since he can not use the Bow & Hookshot in Ocarina of Time..so it would make more sense that he now can use them in Super Smash Bros.
To show what I mean, I'll depict the differences between the Kokiri Swords, Deku Shield & Hero's Shield, Fairy Bow & Hero's Bow, I'll also include the upgrades to the MM Kokiri Sword, the Razor Sword and the Gilded Sword, either of which could be used to give Young Link more distinctness and if the Gilded Sword was chosen, he would then be in league with Link & Toon Link by having his Ultimate Sword instead of his Starter Sword like he currently.
Majora's Mask doesn't have a Boomerang, so that one could either stay the one from Ocarina of Time or be replaced by an item used in Majora's Mask such as the Deku Nut or maybe a spinning move utilizing the Great Fairy Sword.
1619752320236.png
1619753616641.png

1619752605293.png
1619752624012.png
1619752808466.png
1619752833268.png
1619752982260.png
1619753047826.png

1619752449276.png
1619752468101.png
1619752721172.png
1619752753775.png

I wasn't really meaning altering his moveset when I said I wanted him to depict Majora's Mask, just that I feel they should have given Young Link his Majora's Mask appearance for his equipment since its the game he's actually the primary Link of. They could retool his Final Smash to have him don the Fierce Deity Mask prior to performing the Triforce Slash just to make it a little more unique from Toon Link's, even if it would still be functionally the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom