• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Here's mine echo fighter list
:ultluigi: - Gooigi
:ultfalcon: - Black Shadow
:ultsheik: - Impa
:ultmetaknight: - Morpho Knight
:ultsonic: - Metal Sonic or Blaze the Cat
:ultmegaman: - Quint from Megaman 2 GB
:ultpacman: - Ms. Pac-Man
:ultinkling: - Octoling

SKX31

Smash Master
And this is the part where we joke about the horrifying prospect of a 150+ character League of Legends guessing game
I was gonna joke about Danganronpa, but that works too...
"The fighter included in wave 10 of Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC will be...

...from a video game!"
Imagine if there's no character revealed at E3.
(Now any of these would be just as cursed as...)

cursed.png

Seinfeld theme.

We’ll see if anything happens for Smash. Nintendo’s had things on lockdown since Banjo. No leakers talked about Terry until the SNK leak from Nintendo theirselves.

Hell, no one backed up Steve & Sephiroth for FP2 despite their names being all around the leaker sphere in 2018.
And no leakers did get Pyra / Mythra IIRC, right?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Happy North American Birthday to Smash 64!

Still kinda wish :052: was one of the original 12.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
And no leakers did get Pyra / Mythra IIRC, right?
FP2 has been silent for leakers, even on 4chan or gamefaqs. You still have some text leaks but they all got destroyed by Pyra/Mythra.
Really, Steve was just ""leaked"" by Vergeben two years before his inclusion, and if you want to push you could include Sephiroth who was in his list of Square characters. But I seriously doubt he or anyone else knew he would be in another DLC pack.

The same situation as post Ryu in Smash four. Just waiting. With no hints. Just us. Without any indication or leaks for Smash speculation.
We are

Dukefire

Smash Master
Looking back........
Spirits in base game still have a shot. (Pyra/Mythra and Min Min)
DLC spirits on the other hand doesn't seem likely.
Anyone is a guess (as long they are a video game character.)
Assist Trophy isn't likely for promoting to fighter
Sometimes those characters that are under a lot of people's noses may get in (Sephiroth initial reveal at VGA 2020)

There are other factors, but I can't remember them.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Looking back........
Spirits in base game still have a shot. (Pyra/Mythra and Min Min)
DLC spirits on the other hand doesn't seem likely.
Anyone is a guess (as long they are a video game character.)
Assist Trophy isn't likely for promoting to fighter
Sometimes those characters that are under a lot of people's noses may get in (Sephiroth initial reveal at VGA 2020)

There are other factors, but I can't remember them.
All the characters for FP2 were under our noses.
Arms and Xenoblade 2 were directly mentioned by Sakurai, the lack of FFVII spirits could have predicted Sephiroth, and while we had no evidence for Steve, we had leaks concerning Minecraft since March 2018.
I'm being biased on this matter but the characters that feel like under our noses at the moment are Decidueye who was mentioned by Sakurai, Ryu Hayabusa who was rumored for a while now, and Porky who is absent, him and his statue.
But my theory is gonna crumble this E3 because it's going to be a character everyone is seeing coming.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's not mysteriously absent. It will be returning in one of the last two MCWs.

Every single other 3rd Party costume from Smash 4 has returned, and since all 11 characters were decided on in 2018, so was the decision to re-release all those costumes for more money for all parties. However, as I've said a hundred times in the last month or so, his costume means nothing for his chances one way or the other.

As for Gil and Heihachi, their costumes aren't killers either, but rather their situations. Gil is from a franchise that isn't really a thing anymore if we are being honest with ourselves, and Heihachi was attempted but ultimately it was deemed not possible to accurately and properly do Tekken justice in Smash due to the complex nature of Tekken versus the innate simplicity of Smash. See, with games like Street Fighter and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters, characters have iconic moves they always have so grabbing moves to pick is super easy. They are also 2D Fighters and have less variety of inputs, so they are much easier to realize. Go look up a Tekken Movelist in your spare time and look at how complex just some of the directional inputs are, then realize many moves rely on inputting them during a rising-from-crouch animation or during a side-step animation or cause them to crouch/sidestep and now you get a glimpse on why it wasn't possible to do for Smash 4.

The question for Heihachi is if Sakurai found a way to make it work or not, which I doubt he did. Tekken is just too far removed from Smash in base design to make it happen without taking out tons of elements that make Tekken what it is, but you really never know. On top of that, Tales Series is very popular and both Yuri and Lloyd are much more requested, so it really makes more sense to go that route.
Gatekeeping at its finest. If Geno were the only costume that hadn't returned you would 100% be saying it's suspicious and arguing that just because the other costumes returned doesn't mean this one will too.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Gatekeeping at its finest. If Geno were the only costume that hadn't returned you would 100% be saying it's suspicious and arguing that just because the other costumes returned doesn't mean this one will too.
I would advice not getting involved here. We've had this discussion more times than we can count, and he STILL refuses to accept the cold hard reality.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I still think that an indie character could be a fighter, but it looks like they might just be a Mii Costume for the selected highly requested ones.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
All the characters for FP2 were under our noses.
Arms and Xenoblade 2 were directly mentioned by Sakurai, the lack of FFVII spirits could have predicted Sephiroth, and while we had no evidence for Steve, we had leaks concerning Minecraft since March 2018.
I'm being biased on this matter but the characters that feel like under our noses at the moment are Decidueye who was mentioned by Sakurai, Ryu Hayabusa who was rumored for a while now, and Porky who is absent, him and his statue.
But my theory is gonna crumble this E3 because it's going to be a character everyone is seeing coming.
To be fair, we caught on in time to predict Rex, and we would've been right if the Switch was strong enough to handle all the polygons. I'm counting Pyra and Mythra as a win, because either way we were still predicting an XC2 rep.

The problem is that we've exhausted all the obvious second-chancers. Monster Hunter matched up with Final Fantasy not having much content, and look where we are now. Decidueye was dropped in favor of Incineroar, Hayabusa was explicitly deconfirmed by the devs, and Porky doesn't have much going for him beyond the lack of Spirit, which is seeming especially weak now that Spirits are confirmed to be promotable. I'm thinking that the last two characters, or at least one of them, won't fit in with the Second Chance Theory.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To be fair, we caught on in time to predict Rex, and we would've been right if the Switch was strong enough to handle all the polygons. I'm counting Pyra and Mythra as a win, because either way we were still predicting an XC2 rep.

The problem is that we've exhausted all the obvious second-chancers. Monster Hunter matched up with Final Fantasy not having much content, and look where we are now. Decidueye was dropped in favor of Incineroar, Hayabusa was explicitly deconfirmed by the devs, and Porky doesn't have much going for him beyond the lack of Spirit, which is seeming especially weak now that Spirits are confirmed to be promotable. I'm thinking that the last two characters, or at least one of them, won't fit in with the Second Chance Theory.
how would Hayabusa fit into second chance theory tho? is it cuz of the Yuri Kozukata AT in base? as KT also owns Fatal Frame

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think no more DLC since FP2 is done and DLC is finished. Which will leave some sad, but all good things must come to an end
we've all been assuming that until further notice, but the post i quoted was replying to: "Imagine if there's no character revealed at E3." which given the context implies he was saying the last two would be canceled and Sephiroth and Pythra would be our real last two

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
keeping it real, i lowkey think Hayabusa may have been leakbait. there was this papagenos video about a twitter dm exchange with a leaker, who was told by a NoA employee to stop talking about Hayabusa, and said "an L is an L and i'll accept it graciously". i vaguely recall during base game spec that it was confirmed that Bamco did include fake leak info to bait wannabe leakers and get them fired (and possibly blacklisted) so... yeah

SharkLord

Smash Hero
keeping it real, i lowkey think Hayabusa may have been leakbait. there was this papagenos video about a twitter dm exchange with a leaker, who was told by a NoA employee to stop talking about Hayabusa, and said "an L is an L and i'll accept it graciously". i vaguely recall during base game spec that it was confirmed that Bamco did include fake leak info to bait wannabe leakers and get them fired (and possibly blacklisted) so... yeah
With how often Hayabusa's rumored, he's a pretty poor choice of leakbait. If everyone and their mom's listing him off, how can you tell if they have actual connections?

I remember Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones used to give some pretty good explanations of the topic. Though, he doesn't really hang around here that much lately...

Dukefire

Smash Master
The remaining Indie characters I see still in the running are:
The Knight (Hollow Knight)
Quote (and Curly Brace if added as echo)
Shantae
Jason Frudnick (Blast Master Zero)

Though, Idk if Sakurai did decided if one is added.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Shantae

cries in Gunvolt

also, I do believe you're forgetting a certain shrine maiden...

I mean in that scenario, yes.

but there's no way that happens though

right?
hopefully not with this game, but i do know what remained of FFXV's DLC was canceled when the producer left (it was converted to novel format)

though, correct me if im wrong, but UMVC3 was born because the rest of vanilla MVC3's DLC was canceled post Tohoku tsunami right?

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
I mean in that scenario, yes.

but there's no way that happens though

right?
With the third emergency state in Japan due to the coronavirus, it doesn't seem impossible to me that they could delay some stuff meant for E3, including the reveal.. But cancelling the DLC seven months before the deadline? Probably not.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
With the third emergency state in Japan due to the coronavirus, it doesn't seem impossible to me that they could delay some stuff meant for E3, including the reveal.. But cancelling the DLC seven months before the deadline? Probably not.
although, if this really is the end of dlc, wouldn't at least their trailers be ready? or even just a "now in development" teaser a la terry

just thinking back to how Smash 4's final presentation had both of the last two ready at once to show off, even if they didn't become available till later

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
although, if this really is the end of dlc, wouldn't at least their trailers be ready?
The trailers are not made before the direct, they animate it while it's live to make sure no one leaks it. That's why so many animators have their hands damaged, it's because the pace is horrible.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The trailers are not made before the direct, they animate it while it's live to make sure no one leaks it. That's why so many animators have their hands damaged, it's because the pace is horrible.
whoa whoa whoa what can i get a source for the bolded?

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Shantae

I would add Cadence to this list. I mean, she had a crossover with Zelda, you can't really get bigger than that for a indie character (unless you're Undertale or FNAF) and this same crossover got a physical release and dlc, it was pretty huge.

Honestly at this point I don't really see Quote getting in. The game is now 17 years old. Sure, there's fan demand, but he's not really relevant in today's indie scene and I doubt he would be chosen right now.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
though, correct me if im wrong, but UMVC3 was born because the rest of vanilla MVC3's DLC was canceled post Tohoku tsunami right?
can anyone confirm this though? i seem to recall it being the case

Dukefire

Smash Master
In your opinion, which Indie character(s) may have the best shot as a fighter? If not, who will become the next Mii Costume?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
In your opinion, which Indie character(s) may have the best shot as a fighter? If not, who will become the next Mii Costume?
Fighters - Reimu, maybe Shantae
Costume - Gunvolt, Ori, the Knight

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I don't think any indie character will get to be a fighter any time soon.

Miis? Reimu, Quote, Hollow Knight.

As always, I don't consider Shantae to be an indie company.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom