• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well, we don't know how far in advance the Mii Costume was made, so your guess is as good as mine.
I'm assuming they weren't made 2 years in advance, not to mention that GnG has timed exclusivity for Nintendo judging from that Capcom hack, so why wouldn't they say "Yo we need an Arthur costume"?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
And even then, it's a slippery slope due to opening the floodgates for even characters that have nothing to do with gaming, let alone Nintendo.
Then again, Is it really that big of a slippery slope when people seriously consider Geralt and Hatsune Miku for smash despite not originating from video games?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Same. Not the first time I said this but I'd sort of disappointed if that's it for Capcom. Which kinda amazes me considering how open and collaborative they have been with Smash. I guess it is what it is, not everyone can get new characters.

If they're not getting a character which does seem to be the most likely outcome I at least hope for some Ace Attorney/DMC/Okami content, be it in form of spirits, costumes or anything.

Also, I agree Sega kinda feels more likely than other companies already involved in Smash. N3ON brings a valid point against that but even with that, I still think Sega has been strangely MIA in Pass 2. I don't think they had a spirit event for one of their series, beyond the Sophia one for P5 Strikers and that was a promotional thing for people who owned the game.

A second Sonic rep isn't the scenario I'd like but I could totally see it. Among Sega's library, a Sonic character is probably the most "fitting" option for a potential E3 reveal.
Not that Arle, Sakura, Kiryu or Demi-fiend couldn't be there, but I feel they would only appear at E3 if we get a double Smash reveal.

April 2019:

I think Yakuza has become big enough in the west to be an E3 reveal. It’s not at the same level as a Sonic character, but if they thought Joker was a good TGA reveal (he was) then Kiryu could be a good E3 reveal.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No Goku. please. I find him a terrible character who is mostly uninteresting and often requested because it was persons first anime. If he gets in, then there is nothing stopping the Sponge Bobs, the Barbies, the Spidermans and the Tony Hawks from being requested and memed into the game. There are so many great video game protagonists that still have not been added (with many being miied or ATed) and they deserve there shot well before a "4th" party character.

As an example. People have been clamoring for Ryu Hayabusa. If Goku is added, his position on the list of possible drops significantly. Because now Shrek, Goku, Vegeta, Naruto, Saitama, SpongeBob, Ninja Turtles, Batman, Superman, Barbie, Lego characters, Tony Hawk, NFL football player, Michael Jorden, John Madden, Scrooge Mcduck, Mickey Mouse, and any other super big licensed characters would be viable. Since their sales numbers would vastly outgross Hayabusa, say goodbye to him.

No. No Goku.
Couldn't have said it any better.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
no fortnite reps please, toxic 9 year olds is not what we need lol
You say that like the majority of the smash fanbase isn't toxic children. Honestly, as long as the character's fun and comes with good music, I couldn't care less about their fanbase playing smash. I've only actually seen it work in reverse, with a lot of smash fans playing p5 when joker was added. (That's one of the reasons I wish P1 and 2 content was added to smash, because people might ignore those games less if that happened).

The music's also really good:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
What happened with Capcom is curious. I understand if some people are counting them out. It was for sure a blow to a possible Capcom character until we're proven wrong but as I expressed a few times I still think they're not completely out.

Sakurai saying the costumes were announced because "MH Rise and GnG Resurrection were releasing soon" is basically my main point against Capcom being completely out. That's the first time, I think, that Sakurai justified an entire Mii costume wave.
So even if it's unlikely, which I can understand, it makes me think maybe Capcom wanted the costumes now in order to promote their new releases. Which would also benefit Nintendo because both Rise and the new GnG are temporal exclusives for the Switch, and it's an easy way to make some marketing and improve relationships with Capcom, so even if CP10 or CP11 is a Capcom fighter, that shouldn't be a problem at all, more considering they have a big library of series and characters to pick as a costumes.

And that's assuming a Capcom rep would NEED Capcom costumes. Pyra and Mythra didn't come with Xenoblade costumes, same for Banjo. So if we get Phoenix Wright, to name one Capcom character, coming with Ace Attorney costumes wouldn't really be mandatory according to what we know, even if it would suck not to get some new costumes from Capcom.

I think Yakuza has become big enough in the west to be an E3 reveal. It’s not at the same level as a Sonic character, but if they thought Joker was a good TGA reveal (he was) then Kiryu could be a good E3 reveal.
I kinda agree actually. But I think most people wouldn't agree.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Pretty weird of Nintendo to actively screw over their PAL userbase by including a character from a game that isn't officially available in their region
Right...because having a character from outside your region is "screwing you over" somehow...

"We don't have this game. Nintendo is screwing me!"

Is adding Goku to smash is a step forward or backward?
Forward, but downward.

Would it cause a huge divide in the smash community?
Yes.

Ok seriously what is the Smash's community obsession with Goku? I don't even see Batman, Shrek, Spongebob, or Spider-Man getting as much as he does.
He's Japan's Mickey Mouse.

Boo, you two are no fun.
Wanting Smash to become "Funko Pops: The Game" isn't fun.

Yeah, I do see the double standards there.
I don't. Nobody takes those people seriously. Everyone but them knows they're wasting heir time.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What happened with Capcom is curious. I understand if some people are counting them out. It was for sure a blow to a possible Capcom character until we're proven wrong but as I expressed a few times I still think they're not completely out.
You bring up some pretty solid points here, but my stance is that the logic behind returning Mii Costumes hasn't proven me wrong yet. I'd be over the moon if it does end up falling through and we somehow get Chun-Li or Phoenix though. It's not like the possibility isn't there for even more costumes.

Like, it kinda baffles me that we still don't have proper Street Fighter costumes. Making at least a Guile costume would be so easy with his AT already there.

He's Japan's Mickey Mouse.
Not really, that'd be more like Doraemon.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And that's assuming a Capcom rep would NEED Capcom costumes. Pyra and Mythra didn't come with Xenoblade costumes, same for Banjo. So if we get Phoenix Wright, to name one Capcom character, coming with Ace Attorney costumes wouldn't really be mandatory according to what we know, even if it would suck not to get some new costumes from Capcom.
While I mostly agree with your post as a whole, it's less "The fighter needs costumes" and more "The costumes would come with the related fighter if there was one." Kinda like how all the Persona Miis came with Joker instead of strewn all over the place, or how the SNK Miis were released with Terry and not scattered throughout the pass. It's not the fighters that would require the costumes, it's the costumes that would need to come with a fighter, if there was one. Granted, companies aren't as tight as the same series, as the Virtua Fighter Miis demonstrated, but the sheer volume of Capcom Miis all at once is a red flag.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I kinda agree actually. But I think most people wouldn't agree.
On the topic of Yakuza, I agree that it's already mainstream enough to be considered an E3 level reveal.

It exploded in popularity in recent years and it finally got nominated for an award at TGA 2020 (for the best RPG category mind you which is no small potatoes). Game pass probably had a lot to do with it imo. A ton of people who haven't played the series before got a chance to try it out on PC and Xbox via game pass, which contributed to it's recent popularity.

I can only see the series grow moving forward. It has momentum on it's side and if SEGA plays their cards right it can even be one of their top franchises. Despite Yakuza starting in 2005, which is relatively young compared to other SEGA franchises, it has achieved over 14 million in sales. For reference, Persona is only around the 13 million range.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I recall he's actually even more popular then Goku or Dragon Ball overall. Why aren't people asking for him then if that's the case?
I'd imagine it's a matter of worldwide popularity, at least when Smash spec was still fresh. The English-speaking side of the internet would probably favor anime bigger in the West.

And that's all I can really say on the matter because in all honesty I don't even know who Doraemon is.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
The reason I'm not counting Capcom out just yet is because they're honestly giving me Square Enix vibes. Square got a promotional Tockles spirit and 3 whole Spirit Events that were solely used to promote their newer games (Trials of Mana, Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default II). Square ended up with two playable characters in Hero and Sephiroth. Considering this, it strikes me as a bit strange that Capcom is now getting a bunch of stuff like Mii Costumes, a Spirit Event and a Special Spirit specifically meant to promote their newer games just like Square Enix did.

Of course, maybe I'm trying to cope with the idea that we're not getting any Capcom character at all. Capcom has so many amazing characters, it'd be such a shame if we have to wait until the next Smash game for them to get more playable characters.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Yeah the closest thing to an OC that would be somewhat OK in Super Smash Bros. would be the same kind of OC that Ruby Heart, SonSon, and presumably, Amingo were; characters that exist, but they or their game didn't really make the cut. Even then though, it'd have to be a character or game that people were really excited for or something.
Well in that case, should a character from Dragon King: The Fighting Game (which ended up becoming Smash 64) get put on the roster?

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
As I said for Capcom again, they're down but not out. The mii costume wave is more strange than the other ones because this wave was likely paid by Capcom to promote their 2 newest releases in March.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Something I like about brawl is some characters had better voice acting
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultsonic::ultlucario::ultike:
They sound more serious
Eh. most of these are about the same to me. I do agree with Ike's Brawl voice being a little more fitting though, and Sonic's current re-used voice clips don't really cut it.

I think Falco sounds better now than before though.

Well in that case, should a character from Dragon King: The Fighting Game (which ended becoming Smash 64) get put on the roster?
Nah, we don't need 3 reps from that series. :ultfalcon::ultganondorf:

:4pacman:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Plus, they got rid of "You're too slo-ow!" :(
This and "The fight is on!" are my two most missed taunt quotes.

Also, if they bring back Dr. Mario again please bring back his voice actor to give him the voice clips he needs. reusedvoiceclip.winscreen never fails to bug me.

Also with how much better the actor has gotten over the years Mario could really benefit from another recording session in general.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I'd imagine it's a matter of worldwide popularity, at least when Smash spec was still fresh. The English-speaking side of the internet would probably favor anime bigger in the West.

And that's all I can really say on the matter because in all honesty I don't even know who Doraemon is.
Doraemon has more legacy than actual popularity I think. He's more akin to something like Bugs Bunny over here for cartoons, or Mickey Mouse like someone mentioned earlier. If we're drawing from popular media characters that are popular in Japan, I imagine a Gundam or Hatsune Miku would actually be the pick.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Capcom got 2 spirit events (Resident Evil and MH Rise), 1 extra spirit (Ghost n Goblins Resurrection) and 8 mii costumes in three waves (from megaman, monster hunter and ghost and goblins series). 0 fighters as DLC.

Square-Enix got 3 spirit events (octopath, trials of mana and bravely default 2), 1 extra spirit (DQXI S) and 9 mii costumes in two waves (from Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Super Mario RPG series). 2 fighters as DLC with their own stage, music and spirit board.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For me, :ult_terry: and :ultsephiroth:, easy.
Character-wise, Pyra, with Sephiroth, Steve, and Terry coming very close. In terms of overall content, Terry by a mile.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Generally, it depends on what we're judging it specifically (songs, stage, moveset, etc), but if we're judging the packs as a whole, then I'd say :ultbanjokazooie: and :ultsephiroth: are easily my favorite additions for each Volume (so far).

cashregister9

Smash Hero
no fortnite reps please, toxic 9 year olds is not what we need lol
It's okay to not want or like a character or game but shaming others who want or play said game/character is not necessary.

Terry or Sephiroth in terms of overall satisfaction but personally Joker or Steve I was a big fan of with everything surrounding them.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
For me

As a character: :ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:
Playstyle: :ult_terry::ultsephiroth:

Objectively (obviosuly imo)

As a character: :ultsteve::ulthero3:
Playstyle: :ultjoker::ultminmin:ultsephiroth:
I think Joker stands out by virtue of being the only fast, aggressive DLC character, and Min Min has a simple, distinct playstyle even if some find it annoying. As for Sephiroth, I think he's just very cleanly designed, with some unique qualities like the long sword, OWA and Side-B shenanigans, while remaining simple to play.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Terry is the full package and embodies so much of what I love about Smash. I’m so happy that despite being a relatively unknown addition he grew into one of the most beloved Ultimate newcomers.

Just like Ness, Captain Falcon, Pit etc in the past, that’s such an important part of Smash’s identity. I know Terry is, by default, bigger than most of those characters were when they were included, but my point is that I love when Smash takes the time to celebrate something that may not always get the credit and recognition it deserves. Celebrating video games isn’t just a checklist of icons, it’s paying homage to the niches and crevices too.

Also he’s just really cool lmao. Fits like a glove and fun to play too. I have a lot of great things to say about most of the DLC but Terry is something special. And he brought Psycho Soldier so...

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Gotta agree with :ult_terry: and :ultsephiroth:. Terry was a character I wanted to see and Sephiroth was one of those pipe dream picks. Both are also incredibly fun to play and brought some good content.

I was also pretty happy with :ultminmin's inclusion, but uh.... playing against her isn't exactly the greatest thing in the world lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom