• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Personally, if I was going to have a Mega Man fighting game, I'd go with the X series. The Mavericks are just more interesting visually and movesetwise than the Robot Masters.
I can definitely see the argument for that. A lot of Robot Masters are pretty simple compared to Mavericks due to the less powerful hardware they were on. I personally have more of an affinity for the classic series though. It's what I grew up with.

Man I miss the Game Corner from Pokemon.
That one's just the ratings boards going "GAMBLING REFERENCES? IN MY KIDS GAME? UNACCEPTABLE!!!" and then all Pokémon fans going "lol wut it's not even real gambling in-universe. It's just a slots game."

Characters whose series hasn't had a Spirit Event yet:

Lloyd Irving or Yuri Lowell (or maybe even a 0.000000000000001% chance we could get both)
Crash Bandicoot
Nightmare from Soulcalibur
Morrigan Aensland
Freddy Fazbear
Jin Kazama (would have added Heihachi instead, but he has a Mii costume)
Sora
Agumon
Dante
Arle
Any of the main protagonists from the other Final Fantasy games
Rayman
Ezio Auditore
Matthew (Isaac's son from Golden Sun, no pun intended)
Unfortunately Scott has disconfirmed anything FNaF appearing in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate; He doesn't have any crossovers in the works.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Is adding Goku to smash is a step forward or backward?
Would it cause a huge divide in the smash community?
Ok seriously what is the Smash's community obsession with Goku? I don't even see Batman, Shrek, Spongebob, or Spider-Man getting as much as he does.

Sorry for kinda snapping but I don't get how Goku gets to be this "exceptional case" when it comes to non-gaming characters.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ok seriously what is the Smash's community obsession with Goku? I don't even see Batman, Shrek, Spongebob, or Spider-Man getting as much as he does.

Sorry for kinda snapping but I don't get how Goku gets to be this "exceptional case" when it comes to non-gaming characters.
Simple. Goku is the anime dude, and DBZ was a major part of the internet's interests back in the Brawl days, when speculation really started going. Goku just kinda lodged himself in there and was wedged too tightly to get him out. It helps that Dragon Ball Super keeps him in public knowledge, with stuff like Ultra Instinct hitting mindblowing memetic status. He's just stuck there, and people will actually unironically ask for Goku, which keeps the memes flowing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It helps that Dragon Ball Super keeps him in public knowledge, with stuff like Ultra Instinct hitting mindblowing memetic status.
I saw a comment on the Sakurai Presents Pyra/Mythra video that said that they were totally going to add the Ultra Instinct horn when Mythra gets a Foresight, the idea of which amused me greatly.

Mythra gets Foresight Bwam!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Well, unlike the other four you mentioned, Goku is a Japanese character and Smash Bros tends to prioritize those over western characters, so it stands a lot of Smash fans would be weebs.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Simple. Goku is the anime dude, and DBZ was a major part of the internet's interests back in the Brawl days, when speculation really started going. Goku just kinda lodged himself in there and was wedged too tightly to get him out. It helps that Dragon Ball Super keeps him in public knowledge, with stuff like Ultra Instinct hitting mindblowing memetic status. He's just stuck there, and people will actually unironically ask for Goku, which keeps the memes flowing.
Despite Sakurai stating multiple times no video game characters and that Smash celebrates gaming ruling him out yet they still proceed to ask for him.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah. i forgot that Dante/a Capcom rep seems pretty unrealistic at this point considered all the Capcom mii costumes released with Pythra.
I'm not sure what makes a Capcom character unrealistic. To me, that seems like saying that we're not going to get any Konami characters as DLC because there was a single Goemon costume, or that all of Arc System Works is ruled out because of one River City Ransom spirit event - I feel like people are too quick to jump to conclusions and rule out entire companies when it comes to stuff like this.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what makes a Capcom character unrealistic. To me, that seems like saying that we're not going to get any Konami characters as DLC because there was a single Goemon costume, or that all of Arc System Works is ruled out because of one River City Ransom spirit event - I feel like people are too quick to jump to conclusions and rule out entire companies when it comes to stuff like this.
Ah yes, getting an entire Mii Wave just to your company on a character not from your company. Hmmmm...........? I wonder if that’s kinda suspicious???????

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Is adding Goku to smash is a step forward or backward?
Would it cause a huge divide in the smash community?
Adding Goku would definitely cause a huge divide in the community and would validate a lot of non video game characters.

Goku would be unironically cool to see in Smash though. Personally I think non video game characters should have hugely successful video games before they're allowed in, something Goku qualifies in.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Adding Goku would definitely cause a huge divide in the community and would validate a lot of non video game characters.

Goku would be unironically cool to see in Smash though. Personally I think non video game characters should have hugely successful video games before they're allowed in, something Goku qualifies in.
And even then, it's a slippery slope due to opening the floodgates for even characters that have nothing to do with gaming, let alone Nintendo.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think the biggest issue in a post-Goku (or any non-VG pick, really) speculation era is: where would we even go from there?

Even in current speculation, which takes way more characters into account than ever, it's still possible to pick apart things based on stuff like a series' current relevance, how is their parent company's relationship with Nintendo, etc. These aren't hard rules, but they are what makes us think that, say, a Namco or Capcom pick is more likely than a Sony character.

If we start getting non videogame characters... well, you know how we meme about shooting in the dark most of the time and getting **** wrong? It would be that, multiplied by a thousand. Because there certainly would be a lot of deserving characters that have a shot. So many, in fact, that discussion practically becomes pointless, because the possibilities might as well be infinite.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Since getting non-game characters into Smash would be a bad idea, yet there are some people who would like that, even if only partially, what if Nintendo were to add Smash-original characters that are either expies or parodies of non-game characters?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The thing is, it's not just a single Mii or a single Spirit Event. It's an entire dang wave of Miis, casually dumped with a completely unrelated character. Technically, it's counted as four Miis, but apparently the male and female MH Miis have separate variants, so in terms of models that actually six Miis. Regardless, no matter the technicalities you take into account, that's still an entire wave just thrown out there without a Capcom fighter, which I personally rank as quite a bit more meaningful than just one or two Miis.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think the biggest issue in a post-Goku (or any non-VG pick, really) speculation era is: where would we even go from there?

Even in current speculation, which takes way more characters into account than ever, it's still possible to pick apart things based on stuff like a series' current relevance, how is their parent company's relationship with Nintendo, etc. These aren't hard rules, but they are what makes us think that, say, a Namco or Capcom pick is more likely than a Sony character.

If we start getting non videogame characters... well, you know how we meme about shooting in the dark most of the time and getting **** wrong? It would be that, multiplied by a thousand. Because there certainly would be a lot of deserving characters that have a shot. So many, in fact, that discussion practically becomes pointless, because the possibilities might as well be infinite.
Goku in Smash = one of the biggest Pandora's boxes opened there.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Since getting non-game characters into Smash would be a bad idea, yet there are some people who would like that, even if only partially, what if Nintendo were to add Smash-original characters that are either expies or parodies of non-game characters?
Meh. Not gonna count out the idea entirely cuz I'm a huge fan of Ruby Heart, but the general idea of OC's isn't very appealing for Smash when there's so many great characters left to add to the game still.

I think the situation isn't quite the same. The biggest reason I think Capcom being counted out is the release of these costumes so close to the end. While it's true that Capcom is big enough to have another CP filled with another set of Capcom Miis, I personally feel like it's not going to happen.

D

Deleted member

The thing is, it's not just a single Mii or a single Spirit Event. It's an entire dang wave of Miis, casually dumped with a completely unrelated character. Technically, it's counted as four Miis, but apparently the male and female MH Miis have separate variants, so in terms of models that actually six Miis. Regardless, no matter the technicalities you take into account, that's still an entire wave just thrown out there without a Capcom fighter, which I personally rank as quite a bit more meaningful than just one or two Miis.
I will never forgive that Mii wave for robbing me of any Xeno costumes and (most likely) a Capcom character.

Tbf though let’s assume there is a Capcom character coming. Even in this scenario, they’d still probably drop the Monster Hunter and Arthur costumes with Pyra/Mythra since they’re timed promotions for game releases. Any other Capcom costumes they potentially have lined up would instead drop with this hypothetical Capcom fighter. So the Miis hurt a lot but I wouldn’t exactly call them a death knell.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I like the implication that this hell of a community can be any more divided than it already is, literally any and every character either has caused or will cause some sort of divide, the argument Goku would "open the floodgates" is especially funny to me as Snake did that to show third parties are viable, Cloud did that to show Nintendo relevance is simply a bonus rather than a requirement, Joker showed that you can just be a huge recent non Nintendo hit and still get in, I get that adding non gaming characters would literally leave infinite potential characters getting suggested but this is the same **** we've seen since E3 2005, September 2015 and December 2018

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ah yes, getting an entire Mii Wave just to your company on a character not from your company. Hmmmm...........? I wonder if that’s kinda suspicious???????
All of them were tied to two games that were either upcoming or recent Switch releases (Monster Hunter Rise and Ghosts 'N' Goblins Resurrection); Capcom seems to do whatever they want when it comes to Mii costumes. (they seem a lot more open/willing than Bandai-Namco, which has no new Mii costumes even though they're working on the game, or Microsoft, which only has the Minecraft costumes since they didn't own Bethesda when the Fallout costume was added - I don't think that Microsoft owns Cuphead, though I could be wrong)

Their addition seems to be based on a specific time (around the release window of the games), not a specific character. (it would be weird to have these costumes promoting MH Rise and GnG Resurrection in June or September, if we happen to get a Capcom character as one of the next two)

It just seems weird to me to rule out Ace Attorney, Devil May Cry, Okami, Darkstalkers, Viewtiful Joe, etc. because of Mii costumes that were added to promote two games from other Capcom series. I can understand saying that those costumes mean that we aren't going to get someone from Monster Hunter, or Arthur from Ghosts 'N' Goblins, but Capcom has a lot of series that people want to see in Smash, and it feels like jumping the gun to say that none of them are going to happen because of one set of Mii costumes.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
No Goku. please. I find him a terrible character who is mostly uninteresting and often requested because it was persons first anime. If he gets in, then there is nothing stopping the Sponge Bobs, the Barbies, the Spidermans and the Tony Hawks from being requested and memed into the game. There are so many great video game protagonists that still have not been added (with many being miied or ATed) and they deserve there shot well before a "4th" party character.

As an example. People have been clamoring for Ryu Hayabusa. If Goku is added, his position on the list of possible drops significantly. Because now Shrek, Goku, Vegeta, Naruto, Saitama, SpongeBob, Ninja Turtles, Batman, Superman, Barbie, Lego characters, Tony Hawk, NFL football player, Michael Jorden, John Madden, Scrooge Mcduck, Mickey Mouse, and any other super big licensed characters would be viable. Since their sales numbers would vastly outgross Hayabusa, say goodbye to him.

No. No Goku.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pretty weird of Nintendo to actively screw over their PAL userbase by including a character from a game that isn't officially available in their region

And yeah I know :ultness::ultlucas::ultmarth::ultroy:, but those were a long time ago.
I'm actually still waiting for Earthbound to be released on the SNES Switch app, I never played any official version, coming from Europe and all.

Yeah I know it was on Wii U, but I didn't own one.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
All of them were tied to two games that were either upcoming or recent Switch releases (Monster Hunter Rise and Ghosts 'N' Goblins Resurrection); Capcom seems to do whatever they want when it comes to Mii costumes. (they seem a lot more open/willing than Bandai-Namco, which has no new Mii costumes even though they're working on the game, or Microsoft, which only has the Minecraft costumes since they didn't own Bethesda when the Fallout costume was added - I don't think that Microsoft owns Cuphead, though I could be wrong) Their addition seems to be based on a specific time, not a specific character. (it would be weird to have these costumes promoting MH Rise and GnG Resurrection in June or September)

It just seems weird to me to rule out Ace Attorney, Devil May Cry, Okami, Darkstalkers, Viewtiful Joe, etc. because of Mii costumes that were added to promote two games from other Capcom series. I can understand saying that those costumes mean that we aren't going to get someone from Monster Hunter, or Arthur from Ghosts 'N' Goblins, but Capcom has a lot of series that people want to see in Smash, and it feels like jumping the gun to say that none of them are going to happen because of one set of Mii costumes.
It's not that I think they are out of the running, but IMHO I think the Mii wave was a blow. Specifically doing a Capcom wave of costumes and nothing else, and specifically making note it was Capcom themed seems like a weird decision if there was a Capcom character coming in the immediate future to me.

Plus, with all of the content Capcom's already given and still no character, it just seems a little odd. Multiple Spirit events, costumes, and still no character in sight does lead me to believe some are maybe hyping Capcom up a bit too much and there's a very real chance they aren't getting anything more than what they've gotten (which is admittedly quite a lot).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm actually still waiting for Earthbound to be released on the SNES Switch app, I never played any official version, coming from Europe and all.

Yeah I know it was on Wii U, but I didn't own one.
INB4 Earthbound collection as a timed exclusive.

Mother 3 not included. It's just Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings.

Meh. Not gonna count out the idea entirely cuz I'm a huge fan of Ruby Heart, but the general idea of OC's isn't very appealing for Smash when there's so many great characters left to add to the game still.
Yeah the closest thing to an OC that would be somewhat OK in Super Smash Bros. would be the same kind of OC that Ruby Heart, SonSon, and presumably, Amingo were; characters that exist, but they or their game didn't really make the cut. Even then though, it'd have to be a character or game that people were really excited for or something.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
What’s also interesting about this case though is that Sakurai gave a reason for why the wave was happening now. Ordinarily (at least how I think of it), a Mii costume appearing in an unrelated DLC wave hurts a related character’s chances because it would make more sense to put them with their company’s character if it were happening. Essentially “there wouldn’t be a reason to put them in this wave if a related character was happening after.”

Sakurai did give a reason in this case, though — MH Rise and Ghosts & Goblins had spirit events tied to their releases, so the Mii costumes are timed with both the releases and those spirit events. That would be the reason why they’d put them now as opposed to later if one of the last two is Capcom.

That’s not to say I think a Capcom character is a lock or super likely or anything like that — with only two spots left and no clear frontrunners, I don’t really have any big predictions. I just don’t agree that the Capcom Mii wave is as explicit of a deconfirmation as a lot of people think.

Flying_pan

Smash Rookie
Well I'd be maining a different fire cat. Though maybe I wouldn't also have Joker and Sonic as co-mains, since I started playing both for their being really good in addition to doing well in the Wario MU. Would depend on if Solgaleo at least went even with Wario/was a more viable character than Incin. I'd also have a Solgaleo Amiibo, which would be pretty lit! While I do like Incin more than Solgaleo, I like Solgaleo a lot too, so I wouldn't mind this trade.
A completely different alola rep would be better, to be honest

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Actually, about the Capcom Mii Costumes, wasn't the Arthur Mii coinciding with a new Ghosts n Goblins game a coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom