• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Advancement of Metagame thread |Updated Random ideas 10/28/10!!!

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I love mindgaming charging an SA paunch and your opponent tries to interrupt it, but gets 9 paunched instead.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
what sucks is that its totally possible for paunches below 10 charges to clank with stuff. i've had a 9 wind get clanked out by a sonic fsmash. then i died. :(

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
is it just me or can dk get away with being really predictable with the punch?

I mean, I've watched a lot of dk videos and i can usually call out when they're going to punch 3-4 seconds before it happens. I can even call out punches in my matches and they'll land. are people just ******** vs the punch or is it that hard to avoid?

Luigi player

Smash Master
is it just me or can dk get away with being really predictable with the punch?

I mean, I've watched a lot of dk videos and i can usually call out when they're going to punch 3-4 seconds before it happens. I can even call out punches in my matches and they'll land. are people just ******** vs the punch or is it that hard to avoid?
The punch is really scary... especially if the enemy has >70 %. You (DKs enemy) can basically never charge a smash (or whatever) again since the punch goes right through it and it should have more range too... but it's not only with smash attacks, the enemy must be aware of it all the time and the DK punch can just go through everything... the best thing is staying in your shield (or just use fast and nonlaggy attacks), but DK has sideB/upB/downB...

The punch is so good. I don't get why DKs always appraoch even though they could charge their punch (and it's not like it has so much lag to cancel it if the enemy does try to punish you for it)... just having it charged really reduces the enemys options and he has to be really careful (at high %s).

I feel the same as you though, but sometimes DKs are just gonna use it in situations where they'd otherwise get punished and the enemy thought he could punish, or something... or maybe they just don't know how DKs play... :ohwell:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I'm starting to Power Shield his Punch. Like framewise it's really viable to do, and it lets me punish DK for free. As Wario, that would be a free grab lol.

D0N

Smash Ace
I'm starting to Power Shield his Punch. Like framewise it's really viable to do, and it lets me punish DK for free. As Wario, that would be a free grab lol.
Yea... It can be done I guess. Kadaj counters like 90% of my punches. Even the ones I whiff or do on accident.

Silfa

Smash Ace
I've noticed the predictable punching when I watch videos too. There's that moment where you know that they're going to punch in the next few seconds.

I think it might be because most of the time when this happens it seems to be when DK is facing the opponent as he is falling towards them. Most people probably recognise this as a vulnerable point (which is it is w/o a punch) and try to capitalise, but the punch just goes through whatever the punish is instead.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, DK sucks with bananas, but... it could help him against Chaingrabbers or against D3s infinite... (like throwing a banana up, if D3 grabs you it can hit him...)

Basically his bad MUs would be better but it depends on what move he'd lose for spawning them...

Maybe it would also help a bit against others... not sure though, since they are probably better at using them than DK.

But if he'd really have them, they'd probably change his item frame data, lol.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
If aerial down b made him throw a barrel at an angle down that would be awesome.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
hey, im err, sort of a new dk, but theres something which should really be included that i use and its not in that heavenly guide XD.
anyway, at about 100% on most characters, if you needing to get a kill, hitting the opponent with the very end of your first jab will line them up for a down smash if you time it right, this is very effective on fox, shiek and other fast fallers, however heavier ones need to be at a slightly higher percentage.
(if you needed an explanation, hitting with the end of the jab will knock them right next to you, which makes for a nice kill setup)
not sure if thats meant to go here though, jsut adding me two pence XD

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
hey, im err, sort of a new dk, but theres something which should really be included that i use and its not in that heavenly guide XD.
anyway, at about 100% on most characters, if you needing to get a kill, hitting the opponent with the very end of your first jab will line them up for a down smash if you time it right, this is very effective on fox, shiek and other fast fallers, however heavier ones need to be at a slightly higher percentage.
(if you needed an explanation, hitting with the end of the jab will knock them right next to you, which makes for a nice kill setup)
not sure if thats meant to go here though, jsut adding me two pence XD
Yeah, that is called the Tipper Jab, got to love it. I used it once for a sakurai combo setup.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Yeah, that is called the Tipper Jab, got to love it. I used it once for a sakurai combo setup.
sakurai combo?
ah well, didnt know if it had been discussed before, its great for getting that kill of a fast opponent that a smash normally wouldnt hit if theyre smart, like a meta knight for example. i recdkon the tippered jab would be a serious pain for anyone who NEEDS to aproach dk, but is in K.O percentage...once again i could use meta knight as the example XD

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
sakurai combo?
ah well, didnt know if it had been discussed before, its great for getting that kill of a fast opponent that a smash normally wouldnt hit if theyre smart, like a meta knight for example. i recdkon the tippered jab would be a serious pain for anyone who NEEDS to aproach dk, but is in K.O percentage...once again i could use meta knight as the example XD
Sakurai combo is headbutt to punch

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Ok going to post some random info, not sure if everybody knows about this or not.

If you crouch then shield you stay crouched inside your shield, which means attacks are less likely to shield poke.

The punch has a sour spot, this has happened to me several times. I have munched a pika when it was at 110% and did not DIE! The pika only went as far as if I had hit him with an ftilt.

We can jump off stage and fair, then double jump fair and then up b to the ledge safely.

Something that I have started doing is instead of going for pivot grab, I do b-reverse headbutt. It works great and looks cool intimidating.

We can upB from the smashville platform and do a lagless landing only if you run off the platform and do upb right before you leave it.

We have a chaingrab on Pikachu, down throw -> buffered dash -> dash grab. From 0% guaranteed three grabs and a ftilt.

Thats all I can think of now, will post most later.

Everyone else should post their random DK knowledge that has not really been talked about.

ardirok

Smash Apprentice
When you do the headbutt in the edge you get a boost and slide in the air(like mario´s cape) and when you´re trying to recover after that, DJ and bair to safely land into the stage.If you don´t bair you will grab the ledge or just fall under the stage.

And reverse gliding headbutt is awesome!

Random DK stuff lol

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
hey, I kinda noticed a lot of dks I know don't know their matchups, so, because i've been around since release and played pretty much every character multiple times, I figured I'd give you my short-hand notes on every character, particularly the obscure/****ty ones

if gimping isn't mentioned, you should go for gimps or ledge pressure (space fsmash while they're on the ledge) regularly

ZSS - can't do much vs shields, one recent trick I found is to never jump in or roll, just foxtrot shields, and punish, and she can't do much about it on the ground. don't try to gimp

Zelda - Don't jump. ever. beat her on the ground or you'll wind up getting usmashed

Yoshi - foostools gimp more than your aerials, just space him out and always keep a punch stocked when you're over 140 in case he goes for a usmash

Wolf - force him offstage as much as possible, try to gimp, might not work but you rack up a lot of damage while he's off there. powershield lasers, it's easy against him.

Wario - don't get grabbed, pivot grab a lot and keep him away with bair, don't let him above you

Toon link - shield his full loop and then punish after that. punch ***** his ground game, and if he doesn't have a bomb you can hit his shield with anything really so long as you space right. ftilt is good here

Sonic - space bairs, grab gimps work better than your normal stuff, get him off the ground and try to keep him up

Snake - downb a lot, shield grab landings

Sheik - i dunno, I just space bairs/punch and i've yet to lose to one

Samus - same as sheik, DI is important cause she can't really kill, don't gimp

R.O.B. - juggle, don't gimp, grab a lot/ledge pressure, keep punch stocked at high %

PT - don't approach squirtle, just kinda grab when he comes on the ground and tilt/bair when he comes form the air, charizard is all bair spacing, move a lot against him. not sure on ivysaur, i try to gimp him but outside of that i don't really have a plan

Pit - no clue, ****ing annoying

Pikachu - grab -> through offstage -> try to bair, it works well. other than that no idea, we have like 1 pika here

Peach - don't let her above you, space a lot and go for early kills, don't gimp

olimar - hit on the landing, upb/downb a lot. when he's offstage wait for his second jump, then bair

ness - I just grab release infinite since they only ban the marth one. if it's banned, i dunno space bairs?

mk - too much to write

Marth - hit on landing, don't gimp (ledge pressure ***** though) basic spacing outside of that. don't let him too close on the ground

Mario - recover high, if he jumps, back air, on the ground space and punish, he kinda sucks on the ground

Luigi - keep him away, get him offstage and bair a lot

Lucas - see ness

Lucario - space, ledge pressure, always look for punches around 70-90 so he doesn't get dangerous

Link - grab a lot, throw him offstage and follow up, just shield his bombs and crap because he can't do much else

Kirby - don't approach at all

King DDD - no clue, I main snake because of him

Jiggs - similar to luigi but she dies earlier

Ike - bait and punish, space out the jabs? we don't really have one and I just go for gimps a lot. don't gimp if he's near the stage

Ice climbers - downb, throw nana away, fsmash her as she runs back to popo

ganon - camp, spotdodge a lot

Game and watch - stay on the ground, grab a lot, don't gimp. utilt beats all his air stuff if you do it right

fox - upb pressure for approaches. really i just go for grabs and try to get him offstage/gimp. he has some tricks offstage, but it really doesn't help too much. bair goes through his side/upb. most foxes are dumb and still dair your shield, just shieldgrab it. I could write a whole long guide on him and falco but it'd take too long

Falco - similar to fox but gimping doesn't work as well. platform camp the first 40% and keep him away, but if you let him too far away he'll just start camping. you'll know where you should be when you get there.

DK - dthrow offstage and either spike or sideb depending on how he comes back

Diddy - abuse SA, hit him on landing, go for lots of gimps with the upb ledge stall/bair

Falcon - don't jump, don't approach wait for his spotdodges on the ground. get a % lead and play campy as hell

bowser - bair a lot and hit him with smashes when he lands, watch out for sideb

I did all of them just in case, but I'm pretty sure the only useful information is on ZSS, Zelda, Yoshi, Wario, the space animals, Toon Link, Mario bros, Kirby, ICs, Jiggs, DK, diddy falcon and bowser.

anyway, have fun

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
heya DK mains.

Im just lurking around your boards and I cannot find your up to date MU thread. I found 1 and it hasn't been posted on in over a year.

Is there 1 to look @ that has all the MUs? I can't find it ;p

Sorry for the bother.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
DK can dropzone fairs and still recover. ***** anything trying to recover through your fists.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
i know you can get out of the cargo real quick by just holding up, but is it still unavoidable if you grab someone near the ledge or if they are at a high percent?

Luigi player

Smash Master
i know you can get out of the cargo real quick by just holding up, but is it still unavoidable if you grab someone near the ledge or if they are at a high percent?
What is unavoidable if you grab someone near the ledge at high %? To get cargo stagespiked?

Well, if you're at high enough % and at the ledge chances are you won't break free on time... if DK tries to cargo stagespike you you could try to tech it though.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
What is unavoidable if you grab someone near the ledge at high %? To get cargo stagespiked?

Well, if you're at high enough % and at the ledge chances are you won't break free on time... if DK tries to cargo stagespike you you could try to tech it though.
oops, my fail, and yes i meant the cargo stage spike.
so its unavoidable at high percents/grab near the ledge?
:) gotta love da donkey

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Ok, so my post about a cg on Pika was wrong. My friend was trying to jump out of it, instead of spot dodging. Sorry about that.
I think the only chaingrab that we have is cargo release -> re grab on ness and lucas

Top Bottom