• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Advancement of Metagame thread |Updated Random ideas 10/28/10!!!

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Cargo downthrow, while still on stage, can sometimes set up a tech chase for your side B if the opponent falls fast enough. It isn't a very reliable one, because if they don't hit the ground (which seems like half the time) they can easily punish you.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Cargo downthrow, while still on stage, can sometimes set up a tech chase for your side B if the opponent falls fast enough. It isn't a very reliable one, because if they don't hit the ground (which seems like half the time) they can easily punish you.
If the enemy DIs up I guess he won't fall on the ground...?

Maybe if they don't DI it you can do this near the edge so the enemy is limited (roll behind DK, stand up, get up attack, teching).

Although you probably don't have much time to follow up with anything... I think down B would be the best.
But most enemys will probably DI up anyway (if just to brake out) so I don't think it's really good to use. =/

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I agree it is situational at best, but it's still there if they don't DI up. And you do have enough time to follow up with a lot of things if you dash fast enough.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I just want to note that DKs aerial giant punches are much weaker (kill about 20 % later) than the grounded ones.

Heres the data:
Tests show when a MK, in training mode and at the middle of FD and with no DI, get's KOd.

Giant Punch:
Grounded:
fully charged: 58 %
9-wind: 37 % / sweetspot: 32 %
8-wind: 44 %
7-wind: 51 %
6-wind: 59 %

Aerial:
fully charged: 77 %
9-wind: 57 % / sweetspot (in air, but about as near to the ground as possible (and still hit an aerial MK)): 43 %

A 9-wind punch get's nearly as "weak" as a fully charged one...

If you initiate the punch in the air and you land on the ground, the punch changes it's properties to the grounded one, but there seems to be another property to it...
During the landing from an aerial to grounded punch (if you're still in the air and really near to the ground it will still be like if you land... (this is only if you land (not jump up) and probably because DKs feet just aren't drawn as much on the ground as he really is during the aerial version) it will be stronger than the aerial one, but weaker than the grounded one... it will start KOing MK at 70 %.

soniclax15

Smash Rookie
What is that one technique called where you do your up-b from the ledge onto the stage where it starts as an air up-b and goes into the ground up-b frames

ook

Smash Lord
^ called the Roflcopter

also that's pretty interesting luigi player... I'm guessing the super armor on the aerial punch is on the same frames as the grounded punch?
Cause otherwise you could do the super kong like the up-b (which would be awesome)

Luigi player

Smash Master
^ called the Roflcopter

also that's pretty interesting luigi player... I'm guessing the super armor on the aerial punch is on the same frames as the grounded punch?
Cause otherwise you could do the super kong like the up-b (which would be awesome)
Yeah that would be too good...

Big O didn't mention anything about the aerial punch in his frame data thread, so I'm aussing they are the same, sadly.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah the stuff about aerial punches being weaker and all that is in my old punch thread the Monkley6 linked to. Lol I was even right about the fully charged punch having a slightly thicker hitbox. Also there is no difference in the frame data or SA frames for aerial and grounded punches. No SA glitch either.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
I played a good game n watch in tourney, i beat him first match with 2 stocks, he counter picked to RC, i was able to lock him with dtilt on the ship and get an early kill. Then when the ship left i was getting ***** pretty bad, he killed me at like 130% or so. Next life we were fighting on top of RC and I punched his 9, the game stalled for about 2 seconds or so, then GnW died, i punched through his 9 with SA. It was so epic, but he still beat me, so ban RC against GnW, cause he ***** everywhere, except we have a decent advantage on ship.

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
Cargo Stage Spike
What is it? This is when you pick up a guy and throw him against the stage so he dies.

How is it helpful? Can get you that early kill sometimes or just get a kill out of a grab. Also fear of this can mess up your opponent sometimes.

When should I use it? Against people who don't know the trick which will not be spoken of here you can use it at like 40% or higher. Against those who do know it at about 90%. Watch out and make sure they dont break out early because it will put you in an awful position. Still worse they can tech the stage and then footstool you.

How easy is it to master? Easy
Is 'the trick' the one where if you hold up/down while DK has you cargo grabbed then you break out really fast (wiggling the cstick breaks you out even faster if added to it)?

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
As far as i understand, yes. Idk if it workswith any direction other than up but from what i've heard it's holding up. Don't see why wiggling the cstick at the same time wouldn't work faster, although it may get you in trouble (buffering smashes)

Honestly, never tried it myself, just assumed it works.

Kitsune-kun

Smash Cadet
Is 'the trick' the one where if you hold up/down while DK has you cargo grabbed then you break out really fast (wiggling the cstick breaks you out even faster if added to it)?
Yes C-stick helps to break faster :(

I think Cargo Stage Spike should be used once (between 90-110%) in a round/set to surprise your opponent when you're near off (from ?) the edge.
I don't use Cargo Stage spike anymore in 1vs1 because I think it's not really safe now :x. But I do sometimes in teams.
Fear the Tech on the stage XD

Tekk

Smash Lord
Kitsune is just traumatized by my tech to footstool on him with ganon on a cargo spike.
But yeah he's right, this not safe at all, except online I guess lol.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I like to cargo down throw off the edge, then jump at the same time as them, then run into them with my up b so it wastes their jumps, then I move back to the stage and grab the edge. When I run into them with up b I say "AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Kitsune-kun

Smash Cadet
I prefer to just cargo down throw someone offstage and bair wall them to death.
It's the best option in my opinion.

Or you can Up B if you Cargo Down Throw after walking off the ledge (then grab the ledge and Up B stage spike or Bair wall), it's effective on characters with bad recovery.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Especially if catch their double jump with your first bair. If they have low percents you better believe they're about to get hit by 4 bairs into the magnifying glass at least.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
That has been deemed as armor guarding, a specific use for the technique known as super kong.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
same with Falco and Fox and it works. Could it be that the hitbox hits the sideB of wolf?
Wait, are you saying that when falco and fox try their forward b to the ledge that we can armor guard them and it will hit them? when you do your armor guarding do you fall to the ledge or go back on stage?

Cause if you fall to the ledge with armor guard i can see it working, but if you are not falling and just go back on the ledge i do not see how that works, but if it does, sweet!

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
It would work if they try going through you to the ledge, but if they snap it from below you then you're basically screwed if you're too low to get back on stage and they're on the ledge.

crifer

Smash Lord
Wait, are you saying that when falco and fox try their forward b to the ledge that we can armor guard them and it will hit them? when you do your armor guarding do you fall to the ledge or go back on stage?

Cause if you fall to the ledge with armor guard i can see it working, but if you are not falling and just go back on the ledge i do not see how that works, but if it does, sweet!
I always go a little (tiny) bit offstage and then go for the ledge. I´m testing it again to be 100% sure.

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Hey guys, I have seen this on almost every other character board and took it upon myself to make a Xat chat room for us DK mains. Come check it out and talk with other DK mains and discuss matchups, strategies, and just have fun chatting with your DK Brethren ^_^

DK Xat Chat- The DK Crew

I already posted this in the DK social thread, but I thought I would try to get as many people to know about as possible on our boards =)

DKwill

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3497-1934-6087
Hey guys, I have seen this on almost every other character board and took it upon myself to make a Xat chat room for us DK mains. Come check it out and talk with other DK mains and discuss matchups, strategies, and just have fun chatting with your DK Brethren ^_^

DK Xat Chat- The DK Crew

I already posted this in the DK social thread, but I thought I would try to get as many people to know about as possible on our boards =)
^^^This^^^ =x

If we could get support to get this on the OP of one of our threads that would be great. It's been a little less active lately, where my DK's at?!

Browny

Smash Hater
So idk if people do this, but I do it with DK sometimes and it works alright.

On the floating parts of delfino, if I'm on the stage and someone is waiting for me to get back I ledgedrop - jump - upb to the other edge and repeat as necessary until you knock them far enough away that you can get up safely or wait till a new stage transform. Its near impossible for people to edgehog you on the other side as the hitbox is coming through the stage the whole time and I seem to be able to damage people with this really often lol. Its succeptible to being spiked by the likes of ganon but otherwise I find its a good change of tactics more than once in a match :) Anyway... if this hasnt been proven to be a fail technique maybe people could try it out, see if it works as well for you as it does for me.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
its pretty effective, but like you said, you're pretty vulnerable to spikes and you have to be careful that your opponent doesnt predict it or you're screwed. you can ledge drop and then try an uair to put some pressure on them and then go for the upb.

thats why i love delfino. its got so much gay stuff that DK can do. :)

ZxChrono

Smash Journeyman
IMO, the less stupid things DK has to play with, the less of a good stage it is for DK. That's why FD is arguably his worst stage: there is nothing there.
the only thing he has there is cargo to dthrow under the stage. that isnt much anyways. :laugh:

Demp

Smash Journeyman
How do you do the b-reversal in the air that changes your DI in the opposite direction?

Top Bottom