• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Discussion on Frigate Orpheon

Tury94

Smash Rookie
Hey Smashboards, what do you think about Frigate Orpheon and its features?

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
I can live with it or without it. The sudden changes in layout add a little interest, I suppose. They can also end up getting kills, of course, but aren't anything especially gamebreaking. Pretty straightforward imho.

Tury94

Smash Rookie
Personally I think it would be better if the background would have a bit more action or a bit more interaction with the parasite.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It seems there's little discussion going on.

Alright, to jumpstart this, how do you guys feel about the stage flip? Is it a threat, or do you just jump?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It seems there's little discussion going on.

Alright, to jumpstart this, how do you guys feel about the stage flip? Is it a threat, or do you just jump?
It's a threat.

inb4 'learn teh savespots'

No, you cannot always be on the place you wish to be. That's how this game works, in a game of pressuring/zoning/spacing/stuff you cannot be at one of the savespots all the time. Too often you just got blasted towards one of the 'dangerspots' and you just couldn't help it unless you would have DIed in a lame trajectory.

As for the nonexistent ledge you sometimes have to face: it hurts. Really badly.

The stage itself isn't that much of a deal, there's too little stages with the setup anyway and it's a fun break from all the flatness you have to deal with on most other stages.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
This stage is ok until it flips.

No ledge on the left side is dumb. It doesn't help with that platform that goes up and down.
That random platform that comes from the sides is dumb.
The flip is sooo dumb because it messes up stage control and sets up a new one and bahhh. Forcing your opponent into a bad position is all that parts about, unless both of you decide to go "neutral".

DarkAura

Smash Lord
i love this stage... it easily is one of my top three stages

and the flip is no problem i know all the safe spots and danger zones so i try and put i opponent in the danger zone while staying in a safe area

Mythic02

Smash Journeyman
I like frigate, it's a bit interesting. The Layout is quite a bit different than most other stages. I don't know why, but I'm very lucky on this stage. I've only been caught under the stage once or ttwice, and it's never killed me. I haven't even bothered memorizing any safespots. I really like this stage.

Graewulf

Smash Rookie
Well, I personally like it. Adds a bit of variety, and good for casual matches. As with lots of other people, the lack of ledge on the left side (or was it the right one? I forgot, haven't played it in a while.) is quite annoying, and can screw up people with tether recoveries.

Overall though, it's a rather nice stage. The flip CAN be lethal, but it just depends on how you and your opponent react to it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Oops, my baddd
I meant left >_<

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
WOW

Ok, I quit life sorry

RIGHT
RIGHT

TEECO

Smash Ace
Olimar does exceptionally well on this stage.
All chracters with bad recoveries do!

Umm no, But this stage is awesome.

The only part that gets on my nerves is the center of the stage on the second transformation because of the slants.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Can someone make 2 diagrams of the danger zones for stage flipping on this stage? and the exact directions the stage flips?

number1ricky

Smash Cadet
This is one of my favorite levels! It doesn't have a lot, it's a small stage, yet a lot of cool stuff can happen on it ;)

Stage fliping never seems to harm me to much, but that's cause I always migrate to the middle ;)

I never have trouble recovering, learn where the edges are~!

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
The stage flip is cheap and doesn't give sufficient or ample warning. I've lost a life to it in tourney simply because it was so loud around me (has anyone been in a room with over 100 people and 30-50 set ups that isn't loud ?) I couldn't hear the warning signs.

highfive

Smash Lord
Downer. I think it's OK for friendlies but other than that it's a pain fighting in it because of the flip and ledges.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
The stage flip is cheap and doesn't give sufficient or ample warning. I've lost a life to it in tourney simply because it was so loud around me (has anyone been in a room with over 100 people and 30-50 set ups that isn't loud ?) I couldn't hear the warning signs.

qft

Really, it already gets noisy in a room with 30 people, so in major tournaments you can't hear anything whatsoever.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
When it is about to flip it flashes with a yellow light. You should be able to tell even in tournaments, trust me, i always can >_> even if i can't here anything on the TV.

number1ricky

Smash Cadet
Usually on the sides, and if you get stuck with no ledge it doesn't really help memorizing.

"Oh I see, I have no ledge! Now I can suddenly make it make back on-stage!"
LOL I like your qoute.

Yeah but if you know there's no edge, and you are coming back to recover, then u can be smart and not try to grab it ;)

NO M2k

NO

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No way, the SBR wouldn't be that bad to put it in the stage list if it COMPLETELY shut down a character's game.

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
One time the stage flipped so that I was under it, and couldn't recover... =/

Other than that, I wouldn't say it SERIOUSLY affects gameplay. Not the best choice for competitive Brawling, but not anything like Mario Bros. or WarioWare.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I understand that it blows when this stage kills, but it really is pretty easy to avoid. It's my favorite stage, and it's great for Jiggs :p

JigglyPunch

Smash Apprentice
I like it. Maybe because I have fond memories of metroid prime. Maybe because I tank on this stage. I always go there.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Right side of frigate at beginning hurts characters like ZSS, Ivysaur, and olimar.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
The Frigate of Orpheon is fun to battle on. The ledges annoy me when I can't grab on, but it adds a bit of interest.

AlKrauser

Smash Cadet
this stage is my favorite ones and its one of my usual counterpicks. the first stage is sort of a simplified version of warioware, the moving platform (A) adding a moving element to the stage and (B) it acts as
(1) a fall thru platform,(2) 1/3 of the level, or (3) as a safety net platform, although not at the same time. Then it flips and honestly, jumping anywhere at the middle of the map (as far as I know) keeps you alive at the flip. The second part is pretty much the flying platform on the halberd with 2 safety net platforms on the sides. it offers unique gameplay and mixes things off at stage flip, constantly keeping players on their toes.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
qft

Really, it already gets noisy in a room with 30 people, so in major tournaments you can't hear anything whatsoever.
I've been at some noisy tournaments, but I've never been at one so noisy that you couldn't hear that very loud siren on Frigate Orpheon given that you are probably only a few feet away from the TV. Really, if the tournament was that loud, the police would probably show up and shut it down since the degree of loud that would have to be would be riot level... Of course, I'm assuming you take the precaution of making sure your TV is set to a reasonable volume; sometimes TVs end up getting their sound turned off which always makes those the sucky set-ups to play on if you forget to fix it.

Yeah, it's very possible to never be killed by the stage flipping. Try not to be moving very much when it does, and on the first form to second either be on the left platform or up in the air. I've never seen anyone get stuck under the stage when it goes from second to first. There's an old thread I had about the mechanics.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193606

I think I had the star KO conditions wrong, but you can definitely always avoid it if you aren't in an unusual position (like the corners of the screen), aren't moving very fast, and aren't doing any unusual actions (no guarantees if it flips while you're in the middle of Wario Waft or something). I actually used to lose an average on one stock to this stage every time I played on it, but then I decided enough was enough and figured out how it worked well enough to make sure that never happened again.

As per the stage in general, I can't say I'm a particular fan, but I don't particularly dislike it either. I will never counterpick it, but I'm not going to use my ban on it either, and I don't mind when people take me to it. The moving platform on the first form is kinda fun with under the stage and varying height shenanigans, and the low duckers can use the low section in the second form to really mess with linear projectile users just like on the Halberd. Of course, Mr. Game & Watch is pretty good at handling both counts.

Top Bottom