• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong's Barrels of Matchups~ Character #15~ Ice Climbers

DFEAR

Smash Hero

Discuss the grabbing duo. Input as MUCH info as needed + the following.

Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:
Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:
Moves To Avoid and HOW to avoid them:
Diddy's Moves to Utilize In The Matchup:
Personal Strategies To Help With Matchup:
Overall Character Ratio:

cong

Smash Journeyman
Both Characters Air Game Against Each Other:

diddys fair is **** :)

IC's most used aireals are gonna be Uair, it juggles so watch out, Bair comes out pretty fast aswell

Both Characters Ground Game Against Each Other:

IC's probaly gonna approch with the blizzard (down b)
IC's cant really desynct against diddy cause of nanas,

obivously make sure you dont get grabbed.

as diddy you should pretty much aim to gimp nana, i mean if ya get a gimp its pretty much a solid stock cause single IC has like no chane against diddy, but watch out of CG at lower percentages

easy way to gimp IC is to throw the main IC off stage and nana will walk off stage and jump, so its like a perfect time to spike.

Moves To Avoid and HOW to avoid them:
theres nothing you really need to avoid apart from getting grabbed, we got a better projectile so we can force them to approch if we wanted. the ice blocks are easy to get passed, with jumps and side B its easy stuff.

Diddy's Moves to Utilize In The Matchup:
just dont leave ya self opend to get grabbed

Overall Character Ratio: really depends if we gimp or if they get a grab in. i would probaly say its in diddys favour

ADHD

Smash Hero
Ban seige :)

Bthrow and fthrow are fast ways to get nana or popo offstage and separate them, but do not hastily do this as you'll eat an fsmash from the other. Only f/bthrow when popo is in a trip animation or has rolled away, otherwise it's pretty dangerous. SH throw the bananas over the ice blocks, if popo or nana have a banana then don't panic, use the other one. If they have both, they'll hold on to it for too long and treasure them too much to throw it, so shoot peanuts. Remember, if they're camping nanas go through blizzard, but do not hastily follow a trip if you punish the move, it's very dangerous. Once nana is offstage, you'll practice getting a feel for when the AI will jump or stay put, if she is still onstage after the throw FH fair, then dair her. If she is at a very low percent, you can dair her offstage, then non-fast falled dair her again. She's dead on impact.

I wouldn't suggest using side b on them, only very, very rarely. Remember, our grab range > their's by far. You can grab them before they do anything if they running shield at you, or attempt to dash grab. Then it's a free nana kill. Pressuring them aggressively without getting grabbed is the key thing, and popo has a 0-80 buffered cg over us, so do not be an idiot and underestimate him.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
IC's probaly gonna approch with the blizzard (side b)
Blizzard is down b. I was confused when I first read it because I thought you meant squall hammer and I was laughing at the idea of ICs approaching with that.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i dare someone to dash attack this character safely and not get grabbed

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't diddy drop a banana while being chaingrabbed? If so this matchup should be pretty **** in diddy's favor.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Both Characters Air Game: Diddy's fair is going to space any of ice climbers airials. Avoid the IC dair though, I believe it out prioritizes diddy's uair.

Both Characters Ground Game: Tilts are going to be a lot of help in here. So long as they aren't throwing out dspec then you can use dtilt and ftilt to space them when they get to close. Other than that stay away.

Moves to Avoid and How to Avoid them: GRABS! Stay away from their grubby little paws! Essentially the IC's are ALWAYS going to try leading into that grab. Knowing this, you really just need to be wary of what they are doing. Once again, utilize those tilts if they get within scary grab range, and ALWAYS have bananas ready to trip them up, so that even if they get the grab, something is there to mess with them.

Diddy's moves to Utilize: Peanuts and bananas to keep spacing. You don't want to go toe-to-toe often because they will just go for the grab and then ream you. Keep those projectiles pumping to keep them constantly avoiding something. Seperate them with by tripping one, or both if you can, and while they are recovering, throw one away with bthrow or dthrow. Tilts to outspace their ground attacks, fair to ruin their airial game.

Personal Strategy: I tend to play very defensively against IC. Because of the terror that comes with getting grabbed by a proficient ice climber, I normally will just play keep away and seperate them only when I have a great opportunity. Other than that I aggravate with bananas and peanuts, avoiding their dumb little ice blocks, and wait until they are forced to approach me. At that point I try to throw one off stage or hit them with a banana and dsmash to seperate them.

Overall Character Ratio: 55:45 in diddys favor.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't diddy drop a banana while being chaingrabbed? If so this matchup should be pretty **** in diddy's favor.
Supposedly, if you are holding L or R during the chaingrab and press A during hitstun (VERY small window), you'll drop the Banana. That's some tricky **** timing, though.

I think that is how that works, anyway :confused:

Pheno

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrieferPheno
3DS FC
2277-7164-2088
How would Barrel Canceling play into this sort of situation
I know a decent if not good IC who just started and I already have trouble with his chain grabs and having him use my nanas and since this is a defensive game, I have some trouble reaching my nanas after Glide tossing either toward or away from IC
I find that as brawlers become more experienced, spiking becomes lesser used somewhat
Are there certain situations to this? Or a thread? Im kind of new to smashboards still heh

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman
Diddy would straight up destroy the Ice Climbers. Or at least he should.

How would Barrel Canceling play into this sort of situation
I know a decent if not good IC who just started and I already have trouble with his chain grabs and having him use my nanas and since this is a defensive game, I have some trouble reaching my nanas after Glide tossing either toward or away from IC
I find that as brawlers become more experienced, spiking becomes lesser used somewhat
Are there certain situations to this? Or a thread? Im kind of new to smashboards still heh
I disagree with your theory of spiking. Spiking the enemy allows, if a KO, a huge lead over a opponent, especially right at the beginning of the match. As I watch people get more experienced, I see people spike MORE than usual whenever they have the opportunity to do so.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Diddy would straight up destroy the Ice Climbers. Or at least he should.

I disagree with your theory of spiking. Spiking the enemy allows, if a KO, a huge lead over a opponent, especially right at the beginning of the match. As I watch people get more experienced, I see people spike MORE than usual whenever they have the opportunity to do so.
I don't think you are correct. In higher levels of play, player A will be aware of player B's spike, and will make efforts to stay away from it, thererfore minimizing the amount of spikes/game when compared to lower echelons of players. Obviously when the gold opportunity arrives, more experienced players will go for it more often, but the total amount of attempts per match will be much lower for more experienced players.

Pheno

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrieferPheno
3DS FC
2277-7164-2088
I don't think you are correct. In higher levels of play, player A will be aware of player B's spike, and will make efforts to stay away from it, thererfore minimizing the amount of spikes/game when compared to lower echelons of players.
I suppose this is true, But then again you have to take into account that every player is different in some way
Me for example, no matter who Im fighting or who Im using, I enjoy spiking and so do many other players. Especially against players way better than themselves. It makes that golden moment feel oh so much sweeter :D

Plus Im sure some point in life that someone's going to come up with new styles/types of smashes

Count

Smash Champion
Played lain last weekend and managed to take a game despite relatively low knowledge in the matchup.

I think diddy wins slightly.

Me vs lain vids up Saturday.

since

Smash Journeyman
its a hard matchup in some ways just run trip and run again keep the ice climbers in the air thats all i know to do

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
ice climbers because diddy doesnt have much strong smash attacks and the ic final smash is awesome also it depends what stage

sai_:)

Smash Ace
ice climbers because diddy doesnt have much strong smash attacks and the ic final smash is awesome also it depends what stage
...uhh...

Anyway I'd say its pretty close to even. Somebody could argue an advantage for either side really. I kiiinda wanna say maybe diddy's favor but I honestly can't call it.

2-DJeff

Smash Master
this matchup is in diddy favor because its very difficult for ic to recover from off stage other than that ic can hold there own i say 55-45 Diddy

Yikarur

Smash Master
Diddy ***** Nana and is good in seperating them, this alone should be enough to be in Diddys favor :p

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Okay, so I have to play this match-up semi-regularly, and so far my strategy has worked. However, the Ice Climbers that I play aren't exactly pro-level yet, so I'm wondering if my strat will work against higher-level players:

1) Don't worry about stale moves. Hit Nana and Popo with the strongest moves you've got (F-Air, D-Smash, F-Smash, etc.) and/or use quick Throws to either separate them or knock them the **** away from you if you hit their shield.

2) Once they're separated, get Nana offstage and spike her. This is pretty easy of course.

3) This is the state of mind I have during the match: Even if you only deal Popo 30%, as long as you kill Nana you don't need to worry even if you took upwards of 100% in the process (since SoPo's killing power isn't really something to worry about).

4) Only use one Banana at a time, as the ICs pick them up very easily thanks to there being two of them. If you have a second out, keep it behind you in case they try to Dash Grab. Once you get it down to SoPo, bring out the second Banana.

My primary strat is to abuse point #1 until Nana is dead and then worry about gimping/killing Popo with whatever non-stale moves I have left. Am I doing it right?

VonDarkmoon

Smash Apprentice
So in playing ICs a couple weekends ago, again not full pro level, a couple things i noticed in that MU as well, for the most part Sails has kinda my opinion on it with a few added details:

1) If nana has a banana, it's both a good and a bad thing. of course it's bad taht she has a banana, but if popo grabs you, well you have more time to mash out. Too many times did that happen.

2) banana control is more key here than any other MU in my opinion. if you do go with 2 bananas, keep control of them always.

3) i like Dash attack for this MU, but it's really not as safe as it could be. it's good to separate them, but again, have to be careful with it.

Top Bottom