• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diddy Kong Social Thread

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Apparently glide tossing is out.

Oh man, Diddy. :( This hurts Wario as well, but to a lesser extent.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ohh... Well, this is gonna require some change in strategy... Hope Diddy's range buffs make up for this. The fact alone that characters seem to blast off stages much earlier in Brawl is already good news though. Cause Diddy has no problem damaging his foes, more like finishing them off. Just hope he won't be slower cause he'd a Brawl character. He still needs to be faster than be was in Brawl, and that is causing me concern... Cause Diddy seemed to look slightly sluggish in he Little Mac reveal...

Luigi player

Smash Master
I'm hoping there's still the jump cancelled item throw. So he could at least have this. Without any movement he will be really awkward like in Brawls release.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
How did they find that out though? (not being able to glidetoss)
I'd assume they just tried it, it's not like it's a hard tech or anything

This will seriously change how Diddy plays, and considering thrown Bananas don't trip anymore I can't see Diddy's playstyle even remotely looking similar to Brawl. These are two pretty hefty nerfs (even though the removal of Glide Tossing was likely considered a bug fix rather than a Diddy Kong nerf specifically), so I'll be interested to see where Diddy ends up this game. With the information we've got right now I'm not picturing him breaking mid tier :\

On another note HI GUYS, it's been too long lol

Last edited:

GOofyGV

Smash Lord

This will seriously change how Diddy plays, and considering thrown Bananas don't trip anymore I can't see Diddy's playstyle even remotely looking similar to Brawl. These are two pretty hefty nerfs (even though the removal of Glide Tossing was likely considered a bug fix rather than a Diddy Kong nerf specifically), so I'll be interested to see where Diddy ends up this game. With the information we've got right now I'm not picturing him breaking mid tier :\

keep in mind that not every character can use a glidetoss in brawl either so we don't know for sure if the character that was used to try a glidetoss was able to. thats what I try to say

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Well, that's unfortunate...

I can still see Diddy benefitting from the new mechanics due to him being able to KO easier. But I hope that at least the Popgun is able to make up for the lack of banana play. But I doubt it. It's not like Diddy is doomed or anything. However it's gonna take some changes in playstyle.

Diddy still has more range on his moves now so I hope this is gonna make up for things!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Apparently aerial approaching is heavily nerfed in general and lots of aerials have a lot of landing lag.

Diddy is a pretty grounded character but it makes me wonder if his fair is hit by this. It already has the most lag out of all his aerials.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Apparently aerial approaching is heavily nerfed in general and lots of aerials have a lot of landing lag.

Diddy is a pretty grounded character but it makes me wonder if his fair is hit by this. It already has the most lag out of all his aerials.
It isn't so much a question of whether his not-auto-canceled F-Air is laggy; rather, it's whether or not OTHER characters will still be approaching in the air anymore, because if not, Diddy's F-Air won't be able to be the catch-all anti-air option that was so powerful in Brawl.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not approaching with Forward Air is gonna hurt... Damn! Guess we are gonna need to depend on the cartwheel and Side B a lot. Let's hope those won't get any nerfs....

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If thrown nanas don't trip, what do they do on contact? Just damage and provide some hitstun? What happens to the nana after?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bananas will cause tripping. Look at Diddy's page on the site. One of the 3DS pics with Fox on Gerudo Desert clearly shows Fox in his tripping animation.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Could someone use their Photoshop Magic Powers and make a SSB4 Styled version of Diddy's SSBB Green Team Color, please? :b:
Y'know,
<--This, but colored like
<--That.
Please? :roll:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bananas will cause tripping. Look at Diddy's page on the site. One of the 3DS pics with Fox on Gerudo Desert clearly shows Fox in his tripping animation.
I meant when you throw a nana and it hits them when the nana is still in the air, not when it's on the ground.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
From the Japanese commercial I've seen that the Peanut Popgun has been sped up greatly, and doesn't fire in the same arc anymore as in Brawl. Rather it fires the peanut straight forward, and it seems to have decent hitstun as well!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think we've seen any customized moves in any trailers yet that didn't exactly where about them. I have good hopes for a Peanut Popgun buff now!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yeah it would be kinda weird if a banana disappeared in someones hand.
So either:
- you can still get two (while having the first one picked up)
- you can make bananas disappear in the hand of others if they took it away (if not that would be REALLY bad) and get them back by pulling out the new one

Either way seems okay. Still two bananas or a way to take a banana back from an opponent. Now we just need to hope that Diddy doesn't suck with only one and that the bananas aren't nerfed too drastically.

This does nerf Diddy though... he won't have his bananashelters/cover ups and multibanana combos are no more. Kinda sad, but I'm interested in how the new Diddy will be.

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm okay with being able to take away the banana from the opponent in exchange for only having one if that's how it is.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Man that sucks.

Too early to say how this will affect Diddy, but I suspect he'll have a whole new playstyle that's less reliant on bananas. Dunno how I feel since I thought the bananas were half the fun.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Diddy doesn't need two bananas to be good, he needs glidetossing.

Now he's not going to be as great because he has to jump to move with bananas, and that's not nearly as good.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Masked Man said:
• Diddy
He can only pull one banana; if you try to pull another, he does the throwing motion, nothing comes out, and he shrugs. USmash definitely feels like it extends further. (I was able to reach the Yellow Devil's eye, fwiw.) UpB against the side of the stage caused Diddy to ricochet off and die, lol. I'm still adjusting to move/tilt/smash with the Circle Pad, but I'm pretty sure you can adjust the SideB distance. Wasn't able to latch onto anyone, sadly. Peanuts seemed the same.
source @NeoGAF

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
keep in mind that not every character can use a glidetoss in brawl either so we don't know for sure if the character that was used to try a glidetoss was able to. thats what I try to say
uhhhh im pretty sure every character can glide toss in brawl. However some character's glide toss are so marginal they are regarded as useless. So if it doesn't work for one it doesnt work for all. that being said I couldve sworn i saw someone glide toss down with Diddy lol.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
dang ninjalink is alive? you still rocking those godlike motorcycle gloves lol

DFEAR

Smash Hero
getting bananas for dk rofl.

nah dood i quit in 2011 cuz of life johns, went to university got my **** together and now im back rdy to take names again. whens the next time im gonna see ya

Top Bottom