• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diddy Kong Social Thread

Dairz

Smash Ace
Welp, Diddy confirmed with buffed range. Sheesh, he's like Mr. Fantastic or something...

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
boom diddy has been revealed, can this thread be part of the "confirmed" smash veterans now?

also... bananas are returning as diddy's down B.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Called it.
i thought it would be released last week during the nintendo direct as a result of it being released in japan that day. instead we got little mac. i found it odd that sakurai released a character due to its game release in a country other than japan. perhaps we will get meta knight as kirby triple deluxe releases in america.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
For a moment, I thought a tag team of Diddy and Dixie was going to happen, but ultimately I felt that Sakurai was going to keep him pretty much the same from Brawl. Looks like I don't need to revise my recent roster prediction at all.

It's good to see that Diddy's "flexibility" will make him more interesting this time around. I just wonder if this characteristic has a basis in one of the Donkey Kong series games.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766

notice how in these 2 screen shots, the boxing ring is a smash bros stage?

and in this one its the punch out stage?

link2702

Smash Champion
mr.fantastic stretches in

Diddy kong....with rubber arms...

Sakurai keeps claiming he wants to make smash4 more focused on balance....but yet here he is buffing characters that don't really need any.

Last edited:

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

Smash Apprentice
mr.fantastic stretches in

Diddy kong....with rubber arms...

Sakurai keeps claiming he wants to make smash4 more focused on balance....but yet here he is buffing characters that don't really need any.
Have you see anything to prove hes overpowered from 11 pictures? Please, elaborate. (Not saying I disagree but you can't prove this yet)

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I hope this does not disconfirm King K Rool..maybe he will be revealed at a later date..anyway personally i loved using Diddy Kong so i am very glad he is returning

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Diddy kongs tilts were never the problem. His nanners that so heavily limit the opponent's options were. How good he is relies almost completely on how good his stage control options will be with them. Trip duration, glide tossing, banana infinites and, how many bananas he can pull at once are all unknown at this point. Seriously. If dude'ss limited to a single nanner this time around, a little help in his spacing game may be warranted.

...but real talk, wtf, Diddy should get that **** checked. His fist are as big as his stomach.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Glad to see Diddy back, but something feels a little off, and I can't place what it is specifically. Anyone else think that his model and render are a little underpar compared to the rest of the cast?

link2702

Smash Champion
Have you see anything to prove hes overpowered from 11 pictures? Please, elaborate. (Not saying I disagree but you can't prove this yet)
We have brawl to look at and see that he didn't really need any buffs thanks to the crazy stuff he could do with his banana's. Not saying he was ever "op'd" cuz when I think "op'd", i think like metaknight in brawl. But he didn't need any buffs that's for sure.

I know smash4 =/= brawl, but we have seen enough of it in action to know that its physics probably feel more similar to brawl's than anything from melee. So with that known, If diddy's banana's aren't really altered(which it doesn't seem like they are from one of the 3DS pics) we can assume that he'll more than likely have just as strong of a banana game as in brawl. Unless they make the forced tripping of banana's techable like in project M, I doubt he's going to drop much from how he was in brawl(unless...he gets greatly overshadowed by the newcomers....which tbh it seems a lot of the vets are going to be..., but against the other vets, he'll more than likely still be just as strong)

So buffing his reach on some moves wasn't really needed...

again, i know smash4 =/= brawl, and we don't know everything yet....but with sakurai's kind of track record, I don't think he realizes just how crazy diddy's banana's with how they worked in brawl were, and he's likely to carry em over almost completely unchanged in smash4

Last edited:

VictoryIsMudkipz

Smash Journeyman
YES! Diddy was my favorite character towards the end of my brawl days, and now that he's back (alone might I add :D) I'm happier than ever, especially with his new buff

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
They should legit just give Diddy one banana.

His biggest problem in brawl was that he can have one on the ground, and one in hand. That coupled with his ability to glide toss, allowed him to punish anyone attempting to land passed the first banana or trying to grab the banana with a glide toss. He basically got a free approach everytime the opponent attempted to jump, into any follow up he wanted.

If he only gets one banana he basically has to choose between stage control by leaving the banana on the ground and camping by it, or a really good out of shield option with the banana in hand.

Really hope they go this path.

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I see Diddy has been taking lessons from Dhalsim. I kinda wish his backpack from returns was part of his design.

1. I kinda want Monkey Flip to be replaced with Chimp Charge.
2. It's Banana Peels!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Welp, Diddy confirmed with buffed range. Sheesh, he's like Mr. Fantastic or something...
It seems like he "borrowed" that from Lanky Kong, which IMO effectively deconfirms Lanky Kong.

But alas, if I remember correctly the Project M crew gave Diddy Kong added range. That's another thing that Project M did similar that Smash 4 did as well. Alas, I don't think his bananas will be as big of a problem in either game because he will most definitely have more offense and be in a more offensive game, and IMO the more either of those happen, the less the bananas are effective and the more the rest of Diddy's core moveset becomes the primary focus of Diddy Kong's playstyle.

We saw that happen in Project M, and we'll see it happen in Smash 3DS and Wii U (especially Smash Wii U in my estimation).

Also, other than the fact the fur looks incomplete sans his character portrait (which the portrait is fantastic, I don't like how Diddy's neutral B still explodes. I thought that was a worthless feature in Brawl, and I still think it is now. It literally does nothing for the game IMO.
Called it.
Please good sir...

...TELL ME WHEN TO EXPECT ANY OTHER CHARACTERS!!!

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am so happy my main is back, and my most wanted character ever in general! His design is awesome, and he got range buffs? The main thing I asked for all this time? Awesome! I always said there´s no need to nerf Diddy. Why? Glide tossing might be out, and we don´t know how well the bananas will work this time around. That would be the same as assuming Fox would be Top Tier in Brawl again, cause he had his shine again, and could then OF COURSE do wavedash shine spike combos again. :rolleyes:

Diddy is looking awesome, and his range buffs are great! He´s definitely my main again now.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Me three, I guess.

Diddy doesn't look too different from his Brawl-self, at least when compared to DK's updated model. Hmm... perhaps he didn't need much changes to adapt on the setting and visual aesthetic direction of Smash 4.

But I'm digging the Lanky Kong-like range buffs, Diddy was plenty solid (with nanners already), but his approaching options were bit limited in my opinion.

Odd BTW that the Smash Arena seems to be reverted in it's early state in Diddy's shots. What's the deal?

fill

20EggsEggs
Me three, I guess.

Diddy doesn't look too different from his Brawl-self, at least when compared to DK's updated model. Hmm... perhaps he didn't need much changes to adapt on the setting and visual aesthetic direction of Smash 4.

But I'm digging the Lanky Kong-like range buffs, Diddy was plenty solid (with nanners already), but his approaching options were bit limited in my opinion.

Odd BTW that the Smash Arena seems to be reverted in it's early state in Diddy's shots. What's the deal?
I wonder if its only when little mac is there it converts, similar to toon link/alfonso

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
OMG John, just let me live in the spotlight for once! I just like that I called it before the direct... :shades:
Well truth be told a few of us called it after the Direct, but you are the only person who called this date before the Direct.

I'm asking you because I want you (and said character) in the spotlight.

just don't pick a bad character like Toon Baby Daisy in her sports outfit... :glare:
Yeah he looks like he got ported from brawl and and they called it a day.
Well the character portrait looks fantastic. The rest looks several months away from being finished, which is okay, and yet again more proof that both games won't be released until at the earliest in the Fall.
Well, time to bring out this gif again:
Ahhhh good ole pre-Brawl days gifs! :)

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Well truth be told a few of us called it after the Direct, but you are the only person who called this date before the Direct.

I'm asking you because I want you (and said character) in the spotlight.

just don't pick a bad character like Toon Baby Daisy in her sports outfit... :glare:
Toon Paper Birdo then. :troll:

Well in that case, I'm gonna go ahead and predict K.Rool at E3. *crossed fingers*

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
again, i know smash4 =/= brawl, and we don't know everything yet....but with sakurai's kind of track record, I don't think he realizes just how crazy diddy's banana's with how they worked in brawl were, and he's likely to carry em over almost completely unchanged in smash4
While I don't think we can say where Diddy is at until we see where the rest of the cast lands, I agree that Sakurai has no clue, here.

Hopefully, it's the Tekken team that's doing the balancing and not Sakurai or we'll end up with this crap again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnSS9eMZQoA

And that's far from the worst thing that made it past Sakurai and into Brawl: bugs, infinites, etc...

Last edited:
Top Bottom