• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

BlueFlames

Smash Apprentice
I accidently made another Diddy Kong thread, but it luckily got erased. >.>
Okay, i STRONGLY believe that Diddy Kong is the PERFECT candidate for Brawl, simply because that he:
-is owned by Nintendo
-is the star of his own games (some of them, anyways)
-as xianfeng said earlier, he has enough moves to be an individual, not as a pair
-has cool moves, taunts, and specials
-has LOADS of moves
-represents the Diddy Kong Fanbase!

Oh, and xianfeng, can we be online buddies?
and can i join the Diddy Kong fan base?
Thanks!

BlueFlames

Smash Apprentice
I got bored, and made a sig...

hey, can you make me a sig? if so, then great!

Okay, this is what i want on my sig please:

I want a blue mario (melee version, or brawl), holding out his hand, like delevering a fireball or something. Out of his hand shoots a fireball, and my username, BlueFlames. Can you do that for me please? Thanks! If that's too hard or complicated for you, here is another thing i want:
i want a black diddy kong, blue mario, black game & watch, black dr. mario, white kirby, blue yoshi, and blue falco, all standing around each other, or something like that. and under the part where they're standing, i want my user name their, in Blue/Gold plated words, BlueFlames. And it also to be on fire. Can you do that, too? Thanks!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion

I want a blue mario (melee version, or brawl), holding out his hand, like delevering a fireball or something. Out of his hand shoots a fireball, and my username, BlueFlames. Can you do that for me please? Thanks! If that's too hard or complicated for you, here is another thing i want:
i want a black diddy kong, blue mario, black game & watch, black dr. mario, white kirby, blue yoshi, and blue falco, all standing around each other, or something like that. and under the part where they're standing, i want my user name their, in Blue/Gold plated words, BlueFlames. And it also to be on fire. Can you do that, too? Thanks!
Did he say he's taking requests? Because I have a few...

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
I would love seeing Diddy Kong. Thinking about it maybe he was going to be in Brawl because there is no trophy of Diddy, just Dixie and K. Rool. Diddy bring me many memories from those Donkey Kong Country games (which was my very first game of my very first system, the SNES).

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace

He's taking requests!? omg i want one soooooo bad. Like one with metaknight being super cool (possibly fighting someone) with a nice backround and it says meta_owns _ur_dad in the backround.

ON TOPIC, i skipped all the pages so i dont know how many times this was already said but Diddy is really cool and id be suprised if he isnt in. He can easily have a nice moveset.

And if you DO make me a sig, i WIL LOVE YOU!!!!!! ah u dont have too lol.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
Even though i haven't been on for a while, i just would like to return and say that diddy is still one of the top of my list of canidates who SHOULD be in brawl. xianfeng, congrats on having this thread last this long. i'm outie

DIDDY FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Even though i haven't been on for a while, i just would like to return and say that diddy is still one of the top of my list of canidates who SHOULD be in brawl. xianfeng, congrats on having this thread last this long. i'm outie

DIDDY FOR EVERYTHING!!!
hey i remember u! i used to be meta_owns_ur_mom. i remember when i first encountered you.. you were pissed off bc i dissed leon lol. good times...

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Diddy would be an excellent addition to Smash. He's so glaringly obvious, I'd be shocked if he wasn't in. That's a very good moveset on the first page, too; I don't think I've seen any others that are quite that in-depth.

Brawlmatt, I may as well ask you, because it's been driving me crazy ever since I got here; where does everyone get those little SSBB images, like the ones that you have in your sig?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
I agree with the guy from above. He's become such a regular in the Marioverse these days, first off, and secondly he's DK's sidekick. He's the logical choice for a new character from the SNES era, DKC franchise, OR Mario franchise. Easy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How I see it is that the only reason that Diddy won't be in Brawl, is if Donkey isn't in there either... Or DK would have a serious Jungle Beat makeover and they have a random boss from Jungle Beat in there. But both seem very unlikely.

Also, thanks for the compliment KKR. ;)

Goomba Joe

Smash Rookie
Diddy's probably the character I want most for Brawl. I love the Donkey Kong Country games dearly, and Sakurai did say that he planned to add more content for underrepresented series. Diddy's just perfect for the bill, I'm pretty positive he'll be in. If he's not... I might get a tad upset. D:

Oh, and I love the taunts the topic creator thought up. Great homages to the DKC series. :D

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This place is getting more lively... Good! You know what even would be better... If all the Diddy supporters would use the same avatar as me and xianfeng, since many people are now mistaking me with xian and xian for me.

Xianfeng, if you read this edit the first page please.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I've never liked the Rare DKC designs that much (even if I loved the games), so I'd prefer Donkey Kong Jr. over Diddy Kong. Anyway, it'd be cool ^_^

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
This place is getting more lively... Good! You know what even would be better... If all the Diddy supporters would use the same avatar as me and xianfeng, since many people are now mistaking me with xian and xian for me.

Xianfeng, if you read this edit the first page please.
Sorry, but then it would get too confusing. I usually tell who people are by their avator.

Besides, I prefer my current avator.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Why Solo Diddy? Wouldn't it be more like Diddy to be a team character with Dixie? Think about it. His first appearance in DKC was as a sidekick. Then, in his second appearance in DKC2, the one where he became a full-fledged videogame hero at the end, was as a team with Dixie.
It seems to me that Diddy is most himself when he's part of a pair. Besides, a fighting monkey team is awesome, right? Why pass that up?

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
Why Solo Diddy? Wouldn't it be more like Diddy to be a team character with Dixie? Think about it. His first appearance in DKC was as a sidekick. Then, in his second appearance in DKC2, the one where he became a full-fledged videogame hero at the end, was as a team with Dixie.
It seems to me that Diddy is most himself when he's part of a pair. Besides, a fighting monkey team is awesome, right? Why pass that up?
diddy kong has also soloed in a decent amount of games, namely DK64. he has enough moves to be his own character, his peanut popguns, his electric guitar, his chimpy charge, his cartwheel move, his jet pack, etc..
just think about how many of those great moves he wouldn't be able to use if he was paired with dixie, and think how many moves dixie would loose. they deserve to be their own characters, leave the duo thing to the IC.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
diddy kong has also soloed in a decent amount of games, namely DK64. he has enough moves to be his own character, his peanut popguns, his electric guitar, his chimpy charge, his cartwheel move, his jet pack, etc..
just think about how many of those great moves he wouldn't be able to use if he was paired with dixie, and think how many moves dixie would loose. they deserve to be their own characters, leave the duo thing to the IC.
I think DK64 is probably Diddys only solo appearance of any real merit. Most others are in non-platformer games, such as Mario tennis and Diddy Kong racing.
And I would say that DKC2 is his most definative appearance. It's the game where his design was finalized and where he officialy was given videogame hero status (provided he had the coins).
And Diddy could use all of those moves teamed with Dixie. I mean, the Ice Climbers can shoot ice and create little glaciers and do plenty of hammer attacks despite being a team. In fact, just one ice climber has enough moves to be a complete character, yet they're still a team. What prevents Diddy from doing the same?
And I don't want to "leave the duo thing" to the Ice Climbers. One team character isn't enough, I want more options. And I think it's incredebly rare to find a nintendo character so custom made for teamship as Diddy.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Diddy Kong kinda has his own series now (Diddy Kong Racing) now that it's got two games that sold brilliantly and may be continued so he would need to be solo. Also if DKR isn't a full series than neither is Golden Sun, they both only have two games. Diddy's series is just more well known and often thought of as the DK series because it's a spinoff.

Also Diddy is best known as being either with DK or by himself and because it would be stupid to have him paired with DK he is best off solo.

Also it's pretty obvious Nintendo hates DKC (They proved this in Jungle Beat, they even said that they didn't like DKC) so I doubt they would put in something from the games they hate so much (because they are jeleous that it was better than Super Mario World)

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Diddy Kong kinda has his own series now (Diddy Kong Racing) now that it's got two games that sold brilliantly and may be continued so he would need to be solo. Also if DKR isn't a full series than neither is Golden Sun, they both only have two games. Diddy's series is just more well known and often thought of as the DK series because it's a spinoff.
Wait... you're saying Diddy needs to be solo so he can race in a hovercraft? I don't buy that. Besides, I think his platforming games offer more in the way of moveset potential than his appearances in racing games, and he's usualy part of a team in his platforming appearances

Also it's pretty obvious Nintendo hates DKC (They proved this in Jungle Beat, they even said that they didn't like DKC) so I doubt they would put in something from the games they hate so much (because they are jeleous that it was better than Super Mario World)
Yeah, they hate DKC and won't use anything from it... Which is why Donkey Kong always appears as he did in DKC (with the red necktie), and why cranky made a cameo in Melee, and, and... You know what, that's just a silly thing to say, Xianfeng.
Maybe nintendo doesn't like DKC, maybe they do, but either way to say that they won't use something from those games is idiotic. Diddy Kong is from those games! As are the kremlings, and every jungle setting Donkey Kong has ever appeared in since the days of the snes. In fact, EVERY appearance made by Donkey Kong since DKC has been drawing heavily those games.

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
How about this how is game and watch a character, he was in some very crappy game that nintendo owned. He wasn't even popular in our time of video games Yet he appeared in the greatest fighting game in the century and you are saying that a monkey that is know can't get a spot by himself.

ps in my oppinon he was wit king kong so let him follow up to the next game. :093:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Game and Watch is basically one of the first handhelds of any merit... ever. So you can't knock him, unless you know your history.

As for Diddy, why not? I mean, DK needs some representation, and other than King K. Rool, there's no one else who is even really worthy of consideration.

And what the hell did you mean by he was with king kong?

EDIT: To an earlier point made about DKC being hated by Nintendo. No Way.

DKC saved the super NES, so there's really no reason for Nintendo to hate on it, at all.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Oh, sorry, I follow you now.

I sometimes forget the Cranky Kong-to DK connection.

Now this is something I've never been sure of...
Is this DK "Donkey Kong Jr." as in the old arcade machine/NES game?

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
The DKC canon states that Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong, and DK Jr. grew up to become the current DK, the one with the red necktie. Nintendo hasn't really stated if this is official or not, since this is Rares view of things, so DK is currently in some kind of identity limbo. However, I usualy just accept the DKC timeline as fact.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Ah, ok. That stands to make the most sense anyway. I'm sure Cranky's, well Cranky, about DK Jr.'s meandering through beatnik-esque bongo-playing.

Why in Cranky's day, giant apes stole women from Italians, climbed up a bunch of girders, and threw barrels at leaping immigrants.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
the Cranky = Original DK, Current DK = DK Jr. thing is a theor y made up by Rare when they did the Donkey Kong Country games.

Nintendo, or at least Shigeru Miyamoto, I'm not entirely sure, doesn't support this idea at all. Dispute some clues and hints here and there...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
I think DK64 is probably Diddys only solo appearance of any real merit. Most others are in non-platformer games, such as Mario tennis and Diddy Kong racing.
And I would say that DKC2 is his most definative appearance. It's the game where his design was finalized and where he officialy was given videogame hero status (provided he had the coins).
And Diddy could use all of those moves teamed with Dixie. I mean, the Ice Climbers can shoot ice and create little glaciers and do plenty of hammer attacks despite being a team. In fact, just one ice climber has enough moves to be a complete character, yet they're still a team. What prevents Diddy from doing the same?
And I don't want to "leave the duo thing" to the Ice Climbers. One team character isn't enough, I want more options. And I think it's incredebly rare to find a nintendo character so custom made for teamship as Diddy.
IC can shoot glaciers and use hammers because they both have the same moves, which is why they make such a great team. diddy kong would not be able to use his guitar, his guns, his jetpack, or even his chimpy charge because dixie kong has no moves that parallel those. he also couldn't use his tail because dixie has no tail, and dixie could not use her ponytails because diddy has no ponytails. to be an effective team the characters need to be able to parallel each other, and in DKC, all diddy and dixie really did were jump and roll which wouldn't make for that unique of an experience. now i have no problem with dixie teaming with kiddy kong from DKC3, but leave diddy kong to his own devices please.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
IC can shoot glaciers and use hammers because they both have the same moves, which is why they make such a great team. diddy kong would not be able to use his guitar, his guns, his jetpack, or even his chimpy charge because dixie kong has no moves that parallel those. he also couldn't use his tail because dixie has no tail, and dixie could not use her ponytails because diddy has no ponytails. to be an effective team the characters need to be able to parallel each other, and in DKC, all diddy and dixie really did were jump and roll which wouldn't make for that unique of an experience. now i have no problem with dixie teaming with kiddy kong from DKC3, but leave diddy kong to his own devices please.
I guess I just have more confidence in Sakurai than you do. Diddy and Dixie don't have to parallel each other exactly to make a good team. In DKC, Diddys cartwheel and Dixies ponytail attack functioned exactly the same despite looking different. I figure with a little creativity the Brawl team will be able to do the same thing with them here.
Or, alternatively, Diddy could always be the leader of the team, and Dixie always the back up. Diddy gets all his moves and Dixie uses hers to back him up. That could work too.
Either way, there's plenty of creative ways around that little snag, just use your mind.

Also, why are you ok with Dixie and Kiddy Kong as a team? Aside from being an abomination, Kiddy has less in common with Dixie than Diddy does, so by your own logic they wouldn't be able to use any of their moves. Isn't that the same problem?

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
the thing is this, say we made diddy and dixie a team, but we give diddy all of his moves from 64. what is dixie kong gonna do while he is shredding licks on his guitar?
what is she going to do when he pulls out that kickass jetpack of his and goes for a ride?
what is she going to do when he starts going postal with his peanut popguns?
what is she going to do when he does his chimpy charge across the stage?
she has no musical instruements to back diddy up, she has nothing to fly with when he pulls out his jetpack, aside from grab hold of his feet which would excede the rocket's weight limit and cause them to crash. she doesn't have any ranged attacks to use when didy whips out his peanut popguns, and she has no move fast enough to catch up to him with his chimpy charge. the point i am trying to make is that if they were a team, both characters would have to sacrifice alot of rocking move to be a team. i guess it all depends on if your willing to make the trade-off for a type of character that already exists, i for one do not.
and i have confidence in sakurai to the point where this will be the best game of all time, and it would end the gaming industry because no game could ever compare to it's greatness.
and i am ok with dixie and kiddy being a team because it would make diddy his own character and give you the fighting monkey team you have to have so badly.

Dark Iori Yagami

Smash Lord
I say they are a broken team and they should be seperated. In return creates the possibilitys of them later on staring in diff games alone because of a growth of popularity.

ps due to the weather?? ClarkJables i like your team set for brawl ?? who is ray 01

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Why the amazing focus on DK64, ClarkJables? Diddy has made other appearances, and won't draw every move he has from one game. Does Donkey Kong use his Coconut shooter? Or his Bongos? Does he do the Baboon Blast? Nope, he does not. So why assume the same for Diddy?
Besides, if wikipedia serves, Dixie didn't make an appearance in DK64. Which gives you two options: either give Dixie her younger sister Tiny Kongs moves (crossbow, saxophone), OR create an entierly new set of moves for Dixie, which could be tailor made to suit Diddys needs. There, problem solved.

Top Bottom