• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
he has nothing but presence in video game lore, and i am pretty sure if people saw a game with DK but no diddy they would be like, "where's diddy?". i certainly would be. and they obviously wouldn't have put him in those games if he lacked presence, would they?

i barely recognized IC when i played em but i learned about them, and people can do the same for G&W. people win with G&W all the time in Africa. just because he might have sucked doesn't mean he should be removed, case in point, bowser and mewtwo weren't high up on the tier ladder, but most people just want them improved, not removed completely. not everyone can be at the top of the tier list you know. and G&W does not have to be the final unlockable this time, he could be available from the star which would btw make unlocking all the characters by playing versus mode a lot more fun. nothing is ever certain in the ssb franchise, and to quote Stepthen king from the book cell, "assume makes an *** of u and me".

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
What about DK's solo act in SSB, Melee, Mario Kart DS, Strikers, etc.?

I think the reality is that people really don't care about DK games/characters as much as other franchises. If Diddy isn't in Brawl, it won't be like if they cut Link. "Oh well", people will say. Going on that, how many people really expect or look for Diddy in multi-character games?
This all builds upon the idea that Diddy just isn't a big name in games (like G&W, but NOT like Bowser, which is why he's staying while G&W is outta' there!) to take the roster spot of other candidates.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
aren't we arguing about diddy kong's appearance in brawl BECAUSE he wasn't in the other ssb games. and as for the two other games, we can always hope for a sequel. and if people really didn't care about the DK character and franchise, then why don't we just remove DK from brawl to make room for other franchises.
yah, i guess no one cares about diddy, thats why diddy kong racing pre-ordered 800,000 copies in the two weeks before Christmas 1997. yes the game was so bad it was critically acclaimed and had an enhanced remake made for the DS. i guess that is also why DKC2 did so bad because donkey kong wasn't playable in that game. and you are killing me with the G&W slander, HE WAS ONE OF THE FIRST NAMES IN GAMES, he was around when mario was still called jump man, hell he was around since before mario was even born!!!!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Man, I was upset when I found out Diddy wasn't in Melee. I really loved Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing 64, and he was my fav character in both of them by a long shot! It is almost eminent he'll be in SSBB and I really want him in it! Don't doubt it dude, you're setting yourself up for dissapointment!

Plz put me on that list of my fellow Diddy Kong supporters! I support him in my Signature, and I say he should be in Brawl, no questions asked. I doubt he won't be in it, and I'm sure most people will agree with me.

If you argue he isn't popular or big enough to be in it, I say bull! Diddy Kong Racing was one of the biggest sellers on the N64, and the remake on the DS faced the same success. Not to mention the Mario Sports, Kart, and Party. Not to mention DKC 1-3, and Donkey Kong 64.

He is simply in SSBB, otherwise Nintendo will have to deal with an angry DK fanbase. Doing so would be a mistake, plus he'd be easy to make (steal this thread's moveset, it works). Plus I'm pretty sure Dixie's porbably in SSBB. Go Diddy and Dixie (as individuals)! Even though they are probably in already, lol!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones is the best game in the series to date.
No it's the second worst.

Sacred Stones had single most complex and innovative class upgrade system to date.
Someone's never played FE4, the branched promotion system was a good idea but it was excuted very very poorly.

It also feature the awesome Dark/Light/Anima magic circle
So does FE6 and FE7

instead of the stupid Fire/Wind/Lightning circle found in the new Laguz filled consol instalments.
You mean the circle found in FE4/5?

Also, you can't say that DK still doesn't draw from DKC. Before DKC, DK was the bad guy appearing in a construction site, a zoo, and a greenhouse. DKC created the image of DK in the Jungle, and gave him his red necktie. Every game DK has appeared in since has given him that necktie and a Jungle setting.
Ok if Mario still has his regular clothes but also a huge smile with lots of teeth that he shows off every 2 seconds, is put in a similar enviroment. Changes his personality from a friendly plumber to a bloodthirsty jerk, ditches all his friends and his brother to randomly go beat up someone else is he still the exact same Mario?

Nintendo did, in fact, have reasons for letting Rare go.
They've made nothing but fantastic games for us that cater to a different market so they expand out sales, GET RID OF THEM!

What I am arguing is his lack of a competent design when contrasted to the other Smash characters.
You seem to be saying that you think that he doesn't fit in with other Nintendo characters. None of them follow a strict pattern, Diddy is perfect in the DK series and perfect in the Nintendo world.

By this point, Diddy was no longer the "spritely sidekick", but the "crazy kid" of the series. This is where my argument gets a little hazy, as the distinction between the two is rather hard to spot. The best way to put it is how Diddy was presented in DK64. Corkguns? Jetpacks? Why? Diddy never needed these tools before, so why?
Well it was on a new console, Mario does more than just jump on people now, Diddy can still cartwheel and throw barrels, he just gained new abilities. Why is this a problem? Should everyone remain with their original ablities and never get anything new?

He hasn't made any platforming appearances.
So King of Swing doesn't count?

This is because noone wants to touch a property with such uninspired characters.
Or because Nintendo doesn't care about that series and is too busy reconnecting it with the Mario series (I.E. Killing it)

There is a reason Rare was sold...
Because they catered to a new audience Nintendo refused too? They made pretty much all best sellers and player's choice games for Nintendo, it was a poor buisness choice on Nintendo's part selling Rare, allthough they are prone to bad choices *cough mini disks, gamecube's lack of online, subpar graphics, no DVD player for wii cough*
To wrap things up (my library's about to close!), Diddy's image as a "crazy kid" doesn't mix with the rest of Brawl.
I hate to sound mean but that is the most stupid reason I have ever heard.

There are many more deserving characters than Diddy.
Like Who?

Sumo Kong or Stanley would be more unique than Diddy, who I imagine would play like a Falco/Pikachu hybrid. As for Sakurai...er, uh...Ninja Kong FTW!
Why would Sakurai add in an unpopular generic character from an unpopular game like Jungle Beat over an extrodinarilly popular and well known character?

1) Hero/Main Protagonist of a game (Mario, Link, DK, Kirby etc.)
2) Most recognizable character of a game (This is where Captain Falcon or Pikachu comes into play)
3) Main Villian of a game (Bowser, the 'dorf, Mewtwo in a way, kinda Metaknight)
4) Sidekicks and other either playable or important Characters (Luigi, Diddy, etc. fit in here)
Thanks to DKC2, DKL2, DKR and DKRDS Diddy can fill in spot 1 and 4.

What about DK's solo act in SSB, Melee, Mario Kart DS, Strikers, etc.?
Well Diddy was added into Strikers: Charged, they made a mistake with ROB in MKDS, and there is a very large chance that Diddy will be in Brawl.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
OH! two above posts proved my point, thanks to johnknight1 and xianfeng. btw can i get added to diddy kong supporter, i've done nothing but argue in support for diddy.
anyways, i have a new down b move for diddy, i call it the banana peel. it would work similar to peaches turnip move except if you put it on the ground and someone walked on it, they would go sliding across the arena. it would be an interesting move that also pays homage to MKDD.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
OH! two above posts proved my point, thanks to johnknight1 and xianfeng. btw can i get added to diddy kong supporter, i've done nothing but argue in support for diddy.
anyways, i have a new down b move for diddy, i call it the banana peel. it would work similar to peaches turnip move except if you put it on the ground and someone walked on it, they would go sliding across the arena. it would be an interesting move that also pays homage to MKDD.
Ty, Diddy simply deserves it, as does maybe another DK character or 2. As much as I proved the point, xianfeng just owned like no other!

The banana sounds neat, but I think, and I'm pretty sure that could possibly be a item. It should make an appearance as an item, simply because there is not just only DK being the only representing of his series, and there is only one DK item: the barell cannon! I like that item, though most don't: it steps players out of the ordinary (fish out of water), when they go into it. Most don't like it, and c''mon, 1 item?

Banana peel, banana, and maybe another 2 items would help the franchise. Also there needs to be a stage from DK 64 (DK rap only if it uses "hell", lol jjk). A Diddy Kong racing course would own, too. Much like the Mario Kart shown, only a Diddy Kong racing course. That would be neat! Go Diddy!:) :) :)"And Kremlins beware, cause' he's after you!!!" O ya!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'd quote you, xianfeng...but my Wii'd kill itself if I even tried.

So I'll do this thang in segments. First, Rare.

What were the last games Rare made for the 64? Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, and they were working on Dinosaur Planet.

What can explain the sale? Could it be that Rare's final three Nintendo games simply weren't that good, didn't sell, and ate up resources like nobody's business? Even after the move to MS, what'd they make? Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Perfect Dark Zero. Kameo. Viva Pinata notwithstanding, no Rare games have met with critical success since Perfect Dark. And only PDZ sold well enough to justify it's creation.

Oh, and the only audience Rare served was the weird kids who hadn't heard of Quake before playing Goldeneye.

kingkirby7714

Smash Rookie
the thing is this, say we made diddy and dixie a team, but we give diddy all of his moves from 64. what is dixie kong gonna do while he is shredding licks on his guitar?
what is she going to do when he pulls out that kickass jetpack of his and goes for a ride?
what is she going to do when he starts going postal with his peanut popguns?
what is she going to do when he does his chimpy charge across the stage?
she has no musical instruements to back diddy up, she has nothing to fly with when he pulls out his jetpack, aside from grab hold of his feet which would excede the rocket's weight limit and cause them to crash. she doesn't have any ranged attacks to use when didy whips out his peanut popguns, and she has no move fast enough to catch up to him with his chimpy charge. the point i am trying to make is that if they were a team, both characters would have to sacrifice alot of rocking move to be a team. i guess it all depends on if your willing to make the trade-off for a type of character that already exists, i for one do not.
and i have confidence in sakurai to the point where this will be the best game of all time, and it would end the gaming industry because no game could ever compare to it's greatness.
and i am ok with dixie and kiddy being a team because it would make diddy his own character and give you the fighting monkey team you have to have so badly.
actually, in donkey kong country 2: diddy kong's quest, it was dixie that played a guitar and diddy had a boom box. so even though diddy used a guitar in donkey kong 64, dixie used it first. maybe it's just because i loved diddy's quest and it's my favorite dk game, but i think diddy looks better with the boom box. either way would be fine. i would rather diddy be by himself, however. and i don't think it's likely that there will even be anymore team characters. one team character pops up and now everyone thinks there will be more. according to most forums i've read, ice climbers are a very unpopular character (although they are my favorite and i hope they're kept). if a team character is so unliked and wanted to be removed by a lot of fans, i don't think nintendo would add anymore. but these are just my opinions, and i repspect yours...:)

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
R.O.B. is so not a mistake. Hell, that and the keyboard (which my roommate STILL has) almost single-handedly saved video games in the United States.

At the time of the NES launch, people were so burnt out on video games because of Atari's especially craptacular run for the last like 4 years, and E.T. and the home version of Pac-Man, that the only way Nintendo was able to push it on American consumers, was by adding all kinds of extra crap to it. Then whiz-bang, around the late 1980s, people started to play again. Yay.

Nintendo's entry into an American market when people were not happy with Japanese products is a fascinating read, I recommend it to anyone who is curious about video games, technology or even foreign relations.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Could it be that Rare's final three Nintendo games simply weren't that good, didn't sell
Starfox Adventures made Player's choice and showed a whole new side of Fox. Not to mention the brilliant graphics, amasing music and fantastic VAs.
DK64 recieved mainly positive reviews, usually from around 70% - 100% and won E3's game critic award for best platformer in 1999.
Banjo Tooie I can't find much on though.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Perfect Dark Zero. Kameo. Viva Pinata notwithstanding, no Rare games have met with critical success since Perfect Dark. And only PDZ sold well enough to justify it's creation.
Viva Pinata has been very popular so far, it shows the return of Rare, which Donkey Kong Racing would have done anyway.

Oh, and the only audience Rare served was the weird kids who hadn't heard of Quake before playing Goldeneye.
No it catered to a more mature audiance (as evident in Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and even Conker's bad fur day) while Nintendo was sticking with their family friendly image, Rare went and catered for bothe the Nintendo vibe and an older audiance.

The person who calls R.O.B. a mistake needs to be forcrd to play Gyromite for 24 hours.
He was a Mistake for Mario Kart DS.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Oh I won't disagree with that. With such a deep well of characters in the Mario universe...

He was perfect for his cameo in WarioWare though

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay, time to finish all xianfeng's points from the last page.

What does Mario do so differently now other than jump? Don't bring up FLUDD; Sunshine's considered one of the least popular Mario games because of it's oddities. And now look at Galaxy: Mario jumps. Mario isn't given an uninspired excuse for Rare to give characters in DK64 ranged attacks and a double jump. That's my problem there; instead of structuring DK64 to fit with Diddy's abilities, they gave him off-the-top-of-their-head tools that fit with his stereotype (the crazy, kooky kid).

No, KoS is more of a puzzle/action game. I don't see no platforms! But that's just splitting hairs.

"Like who?" You're kidding me, right? There are so many great suggestions lying around just here on SmashBoards. We've only got about 15-20 spots to fill with new characters, and in my view, Diddy isn't up to par.

"Why would Sakurai add Sumo Kong?" Because the one game he appeared in is basically the single greatest platformer since Yoshi's Island?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay, Wii ran out of space. Sorry for the abrupt stop up there.

So, just because you don't see Diddy or a red necktie in DKJB doesn't mean it sucked. You can blame it's poor sales on the whole "stagnation of the industry" baleyhoo that's been going around.

The Sumo Kong battle is an absolute blast, and he's much more menacing than King K. Rool any day.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
then add sumo kong in for a DK villain, but please let diddy kong have his day in the sun, he deserves it. so what if they added a double jump to DK64, the characters double jump in melee and no one here is complaining. monkeys use projectiles anyways, from rocks to coconuts to their own poo. rare didn't just give them stuff for the sake of giving them stuff, they gave them that stuff to build upon the characters and reinvent the series. oh and mario also shoots fireballs, throws enemies, uses a hammer, does his spin move from ssb, and he plays every sport known to man and some known only to alians, mario curling ftw.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I get you're a DKC hater! It all makes sense now!

then add sumo kong in for a DK villain
Over my dead body! K.Rool has been in the series since it's start in DKC and he is very popular and much more unique, popular and well known than Sumo kong.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i agree with you xianfeng on k. rool, but for brawl he is an eh character for brawl, meaning i don't care if he does or doesn't make it. and i thought the DKC games were ok, i got the first one on my wii.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay, he has fireballs. But in the regular Mario games, that's about it. He throws one guy in one game. My point is, he hasn't been burdened with extras that have nothing to do with what makes Mario games fun.

But Rare DID give them stuff just to make the game work. They certainly didn't add them in an attempt to improve the characters (and if they did, then all the more reason Ninty got rid of them).

For the record, I'm not totally opposed to Diddy, just as long as The Studio doesn't give him "Rare moves" like popguns and jetpacks (a double jump works fine). DK's never used his Rare moves in Smash, and Diddy doesn't need to either.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I get you're a DKC hater! It all makes sense now!

Over my dead body! K.Rool has been in the series since it's start in DKC and he is very popular and much more unique, popular and well known than Sumo kong.
A "krool" (get it? If you put his middle initial next to his last name, it looks like 'krool', as in 'cruel': perfect for a villain!) alligator with pinkeye is unique how? I can guarantee 5hat outside of support threads like this, you'll find people that know him, but not who like him.

As we've seen with Dr. Mario, Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch, "popularity and history" do not always good Smashers make.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
donkey kong was around before rare and diddy kong was a love child of rare and nintendo, plus he is a gorilla which makes it easy to base moves off of. the reasons diddy should get some rare moves is because 1. DK64 needs rep in brawl because donkey kong didn't rep it, 2. if we were to give diddy monkey based moves then it would takes away from donkey kong's gorilla moves, sure they would work differently but its been done before, and 3. diddy's items in those games are remembered more than the other guys, except for donkey's bazooka which can't be added now because snake has one, and the bongo drums which are used in most dk series games now. of course not all of his moves will be rare based, a lot of his a moves will be monkey based and probably one of his b moves. also, unless one of those double jumps is a floaty one which is completely out of character for diddy, he will need a third jump. why try coming up with a new one in character when you can use a jet pack which is completely original and in character for diddy.

and it makes me so angry when people bad mouth G&W and IC, they were some kickass characters that deserve respect. the only ones that need cutting are roy, pichu, dr. mario, and maybe Y. Link. IC and G&W were completely original and all they need is maybe some fine tuning, like bowser and mewtwo.

phate

Smash Apprentice
Okay then, let's elaborate.

1. Sonic the Hedgehog
After Sonic Adventure, the 3D Sonic's fell apart. Too many bland sidekicks, stubbornly 2000-esque controls, and no changes to the overall formula have really damaged the franchise's reputation. The recent Secret Rings shows just how much for the better a formula switch can change a series.

...Still with me?

So where was I? Ah yes, Diddy in Brawl. Since DK64's release, all Diddy's done is race in cars. He hasn't made any platforming appearances. This is because noone wants to touch a property with such uninspired characters. There is a reason Rare was sold...

To wrap things up (my library's about to close!), Diddy's image as a "crazy kid" doesn't mix with the rest of Brawl. Not the best conclusion, but I'll answer any extranneous concerns later from my Wii.
I think what you said in sonic happens in a ton of series. Its sad to see that tails isn't a character anymore and he is a "amigo" because we had to make room for the 3,000 other sonic characters being spawned with every new release. I think this has also happened to the donkey kong seiries. Diddy isnt a huge part of any game now, hes just there.

I would really love to have diddy in brawl, but I just dont see it happening.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Well, I guess that's one way to look at it. Diddy's not central to the DK series (as he once was). Nintendo (rightly so) doesn't really want to use a Rare character whereever they take the DK series from here.

And ClarkJables; IC and G&W wouldn't be cut due to those reasons, but rather because they're just not popular enough. IC only had one (unpopular--and not like Kid Icarus, which has a huge cult following) and not so good of a game. G&W didn't even have a NAME until Melee.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
This is for xianfeng's response to my "Rare was sold" comments.

In case you didn't notice, anything with Starfox (or Sonic, or Mario) sold really well on the GC. That does not, however, make it a good game (what's a "Bafmodad" anyway?). And if you think the VAs in SFA were great: igna mrka bu papu je sika GENERAL SCALES, shipopo muja hitara wu KRAZOA SPIRITS!

What other platformers came out in 1999?

Viva Pinata, in spite of it's awesomeness, is selling like crap. In other words, Rare hasn't had a financial success since Banjo 1.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
This is (again) for xianfeng's response to my "Rare was sold" comments.

Rare catered to an adult audience? Nuh-uh. Don't think so. Just because it's an FPS doesn't make it adult.

Goldeneye wasn't an IP. Anyone can make a licensed game with guns where you shoot people. And when Rare made their own original FPS, we got...

A smart-talking alien named Elvis. I think that sort of speaks for itself.

And no self-respecting adult would be caught dead with Bad Fur Day. The game wasn't bad, but potty humor and beer jokes doesn't quite say "mature" so much as "juvenile".

xianfeng

Smash Hero
A "krool" (get it? If you put his middle initial next to his last name, it looks like 'krool', as in 'cruel': perfect for a villain!) alligator with pinkeye is unique how? I can guarantee 5hat outside of support threads like this, you'll find people that know him, but not who like him.
Have you ever got to any of the K.Rool boss fights? I sincerly doubt that you have.

If you think that Diddy isn't a central character that's because Nintendo HATES catering towards a non-japanese market, I think it's pretty obvious. They screwed over everything Rare worked so hard to establish and turned it into an angry jerk with big flaring grin who went on a subpar quest to randomly go and beat up some generic losers with no personality.
You think Diddy is just there now, that is 100% Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamoto's fault.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
well, i disagree with mendez on everything he has said, and especially for not wanting diddy in brawl. for one thing, diddy is a great character. everyone who has played dkc or dk64 knows that diddy had some cool moves (especially the jetpack, i loved to use that). diddy has a fan base that rivals that of sonic and some of nintendo's greats. So stop bit**ing and look deep into your thick skull and realize that diddy will appear in brawl and many smash gamers will main him!

so suck that...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I guess that's one way to look at it. Diddy's not central to the DK series (as he once was). Nintendo (rightly so) doesn't really want to use a Rare character whereever they take the DK series from here.

And ClarkJables; IC and G&W wouldn't be cut due to those reasons, but rather because they're just not popular enough. IC only had one (unpopular--and not like Kid Icarus, which has a huge cult following) and not so good of a game. G&W didn't even have a NAME until Melee.
Your funny... Even though Rare's gone, Diddy is still a mayor part of the DK franchise. In every game up to date not called Jungle Beat Diddy's atleast there. He was only not playable in DKC3 and DKL3. PAON is taking the job Rare did with DK and they're doing a good job.

And Nintendo frankly DOES care about Diddy, since they even helped Rare making the sequel from Diddy Kong Racing - Diddy Kong Racing DS. But he didn't "only" drive a car since Rare left. He's been in alot of Mario Sports, the Donkey Kongas and he was the sole unlockable character in King of Swing story mode so he's CLEARLY not forgetten!

Also, this game isn't made by Nintendo themselfs but by Sora. And Diddy is deffinatly the most deserving DK character out there. And please don't bother about Jungle Beat characters... The sequels are only coming on arcade systems don't expect them to go back to consoles.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
well, i disagree with mendez on everything he has said, and especially for not wanting diddy in brawl. for one thing, diddy is a great character. everyone who has played dkc or dk64 knows that diddy had some cool moves (especially the jetpack, i loved to use that). diddy has a fan base that rivals that of sonic and some of nintendo's greats. So stop bit**ing and look deep into your thick skull and realize that diddy will appear in brawl and many smash gamers will main him!

so suck that...
Owned ^^^! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Diddy is simply the most desired left character (probably). If not, he is easily in the top 3 or 5. With MK and Wario already confirmed, Diddy is the last of that once top three most desired SSB characters left. The jetpack owns all, and would be another great item for SSBB (TY for giving me that idea), plus he could use his guns, lol! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Diddy is simply, and quite frankly, awsome. Disageeing with me=Me singing (or writing the lyrics to) the DK Rap (DK 64 version). "And Kremlins beware, cause' he's after you!" IC and G&W own, so does Pit, c'mon respect the classics man! Ice Climbers game=almost as fun as Ballon Fight.

I wonder if Diddy would have those orange gernades from DK 64, lol! Another good DK item idea, that would be awsome! DK series not just needs more characters, but items! Seriously, barrel cannon=not enough, and same with DK! They need some serious backup and support!

Diddy has been in: DKC 1, DKC 2, DKL, DKL 2, DK 64, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Diddy Kong Racing (hence the name), Diddy Kong Racing DS, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Mario Power Tennis, Donkey Konga, Donkey Konga 2, DK: King of Swing, Mario Superstar Baseball, and Mario Hoops 3 on 3. He's also suppose to be in DK: Bongo Blast, and DK: King of Swing DS. Now that is a lot of games! There is proof he is in Brawl! :) :) :) Go Diddy! :bigthumbu

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
First of all, and this applies to everyone: stop telling me what games Diddy's been in. I know. I played most of them.

Now, let's clear two things up: Diddy Kong Racing DS is a B-A-D game. We all loved the 64 game, but this remake (not a sequel) is completely overshadowed by MKDS. Also, we don't know who Brawl's developers are. We know Sakurai's working with an unnamed studio built out of Nintendo employees for the sole purpose of making the 3rd Smash Bros.

I've fought K. Rool twice. It was okay.

"Diddy is still a major part of the DK franchise"...wait, at the top of this page, weren't you explaining why he isn't?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Overshadowed eh? Is that why it's in the Top 3 of the best selling games of the month February and scored even higher than Twilight Princess? Hmm... Maybe?

Maybe the story mode isn't as appealing anymore, but online it's ALOT of a better game than MKDS... Which isn't that hard with 50% recyceled tracks, lack of unique unlockable characters (okay they've got R.O.B but Daisy? Waluigi? Couldn't they just be there from the start?) and unbalanced items... DKRds relies on SKILL, not items... >_>;

Also the "unknown company" already has a name, it's called Sora. And Diddy scored really well on Sakurai's poll which was unfortunatley Japanese only. Strange, cause DKC is loathed there yet Diddy is loved. He scored just below King DeDeDe and has the same score as favorites as Ike (Fire Emblem) and Ridley (Metroid) so again... His changes are huge.

Komayto

Smash Apprentice
Also the "unknown company" already has a name, it's called Sora.
Actually, if I have understood correctly, Sora was Sakurai's personal company, but he is working on Brawl with a team that was given to him by Nintendo. So the development team consists of Sakurai and a selected bunch of Nintendo employees.
Of course I could be wrong here, but I'm fairly certain that Sora is not making Smash.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Go here now: →smashbros.com→english→enter→"How This Game Came To Be Made". This is standard stuff: we don't know what The Studio's name is yet. Sora's Sakurai's independent company, but they're not involved in Brawl.

Yeah: overshadowed. The turbo start's suck, bananas are gone, and the whole game (a 64 game without an analog stick) feels antiquated next to MKDS.
I'm aware of the online advantage, but online in a DS game really isn't something that turns tables.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ohh and since MKDS never had a analoge stick in the first place it doesn't mather, am I getting that right? DKRds offers way more strategy and ways of testing player's skills than MKDS. Yes the bananas are gone and the turbo isn't as good but those are just SMALL details!

God why can't people hold their judgement about DKR's small details while Mario Kart is getting worse every game since MK:64 (which is still the best MK out there)? The only advantage which Mario Kart DS has above Diddy Kong Racing DS is it's more famous name... But since DKR is still selling good it doesn't mather much.

And if online mode in a DS game isn't turning labels then what is? The DS's online features are a strong point on the system, not this a neat little feature. DKRds shines in Online, whereas MKDS's really sucks and I think that counts more than small details as sucking turbo boosts... I'm sure if as it where the same as in MKDS you Mario fanboys would complain about how similair the games are. -_-;

EDIT: You got me with Sakurai's company though...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay, we can go on about which kart racer is better, but that's off-topic. However, I will remind you that DKR is only one game, whereas Mario Kart's had a whole six games to show off it's kart racing dominance.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
I'll just chuck my two cents in. Maybe it'll help? My basic thought process for a character like Diddy is as such: Will they expand the number of characters from this series in Brawl? My answer for DK is: probably. Who's the second most popular character in the series, most likely to take the first slot past the main character? In this case, probably Diddy.

When it comes to that "who'll fill the second slot," I think the laws of proper representation say it's either got to be another main character/sidekick, or a major villian, either one presenting both foil and support for the previous character. K. Rool just doesn't seem nearly as...marketable as Diddy. DK and Diddy make a pair, and with DK highly likely to return, well...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Donkey Kong doesn't return then all other characters can be dumped easly aswell. DK is a just as important character as Mario and has been around just as long. He'll come back, easly. Just a little note; Diddy is just as populair, if not more populair than DK himself... Just to point it out.

And yeah duh Mario Kart has more games, I've never denied that... Infact I've said the same thing before.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Don't kid yourself: DK is in no way, shape or form as important as Mario. That said, other characters like C. Falcon'd get the oust before DK.

And another thing, where do you get these "popularity" standings from? Is there some poll somewhere that constantly rates the popularity of various Nintendo characters?

As for the list of Mario Kart games, I'm just pointing out that maybe--just maybe--it might indicate which series has better gameplay.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mario is the spoiled kid of Nintendo sure he's got the better series, but does that mean it's instandly better? You know games as Baiten Kaios? Never heard of the name before, but it's a much better game than lets say... Super Mario Sunshine or Super Mario 64 DS.

And the populairity thing is pretty obvious. The most DK fans like Diddy better than DK, and DK is not much loved by the Mario fans either. But he's SURE important to Nintendo! You can't deny it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I am torn. Never had I expected to put down Baten Kaitos...but what you say is simply untrue (unless you have some strange card fetish).

How is it obvious? Do you have some kind of exclusive insider source from everyone who's ever enjoyed a Donkey Kong game?

Top Bottom