• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I respect Miyamoto as a game creator but from what I've read I do not at all respect him as a man. Still who in the DK series deserves to be in over Diddy?
What does that mean? At least he's no Itagaki (irony, you are a just mistress).

You know, by this point, I'll concede that Diddy'll probably be in Brawl. However: I don't want crap moves like "chimpy charge", "rock out", and those acursed popguns. If The Studio just gives him an original moveset, just like they did with Donkey Kong...then fine.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I respect Miyamoto as a game creator but from what I've read I do not at all respect him as a man. Still who in the DK series deserves to be in over Diddy?
he doesn't even ask for full wage! He asks for just a basic pay, lol! He is humble as heck, how can you not respect him as a man? What have you been reading, GameSpot, rite after seeing a review for Mario Kart 64 getting a 6.4, and them forgetting how that game owns all other racing games (except Diddy Kong Racing)? Go on show me he isn't humble, I dare you!

Ya I watched some rise of Nintendo and the NES thing on youtube, i know but it worked. I thought that was aside the point. He is the true god father of the video gaming market. I think anyone who doubts this (not saying anyone here said he isn't) seriously either knows nothing about video games, or is a fool!

Diddy should have been over Dr. Mario and Pichu at least. It was simply unfair he wasn't in SSBM, and others were. I'm not doubting that, and him not in SSBB could seriously piss some ppl off (including myself). With that said, Diddy followed by King Dedede are the most desired SSBB characters, no doubt! Those two characters are in!

^^^ Can't touch this! Plus he still owns like no other, no matter what anybody says! To heck with almost everyone who isn't on my sig, just as long as Diddy is in (except Toad, Dark Samus, Wolf Link, Ridley, Sonic, Ganon, Wolf, and Dixie Kong). He owns in a way noone else can, can't touch this ^^^!!!

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Hi,I'm new! Anyway, I personally think Diddy would be a great choice! We need more DK characters(not so crazy on K.Rool, in fact the only other one I want besides Diddy and DK himself is Stanley the bugman!) ,he wouldn't be a clone, hes a fun and popular character,and hes been used in a lot of games lately so we could have an amazing moveset(I postive all of this has been said a billion times, but this are thoughts,take them or leave them.)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
What crap are you refering to? He is the recreator of video games, and is the only reason video games were made from like the early-mid 80's on!
I guess "crap" is too strong a word. Some "enjoyable but not really a good game" or "could have put more work into it" is what I meant. Jungle Beat was mediocre, could have been ALOT better. At least Super Mario Galaxy looks like fun.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
how can you not respect him as a man?
He doesn't value the opinion of those outside of Japan, he doesn't donate a cent of his millions to charity and chances are he eats whale, how can I respect him as a man?

Go on show me he isn't humble, I dare you!
Go one show me he cares about non-Japanese people, I dare you!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I guess "crap" is too strong a word. Some "enjoyable but not really a good game" or "could have put more work into it" is what I meant. Jungle Beat was mediocre, could have been ALOT better. At least Super Mario Galaxy looks like fun.
Okay that sums it up (even though he had nothing to do with Jungle Beat). I think I get the point. I seriously can't wait for SSBB, Super Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, which he is leading Super Mario Galaxy, and formed the Metroid Prime team (Retro Studios)!

He doesn't value the opinion of those outside of Japan, he doesn't donate a cent of his millions to charity and chances are he eats whale, how can I respect him as a man?
He doesn't ask for billions, he asks for only a modest wage. He isn't that rich compared to other major video game makers who have been a tenth as successful as he has been. Now that is humble, and does anyone else who could easily have at least 2 billion dollars do that? No, because money doesn't matter much to him, he loves his work, fans, bussiness, and job.

He has all his money he could have earned go to his company, fellow workers, and everyone who works for him. He rides a bike to work a lot of the time! The whole whale thing is irrelevant, show me a GOOD source claiming he eats whale. Just because he is Japaneese doesn't mean he eats whales.

He was one of the people who brought back video gaming in Japan. Then, he risked a enourmous portion of his beloved company he worked for to help bring video games to the US, then the rest of NA and to Europe. He really wanted North Americans and Europeans to go through the rebirth of video gaming Japan went through, but have them here to stay.

He made Twilight Princess, and that is more North American and European than Japaneese. LOZ is clearly meant mainly for NA and European audiences. Same thinkg with Metroid, he made the first three (Metroid I, II, and Super Metroid), then found a video game company (Retro Games), showed them how to do the series, and look how it ended out.

He did the same thing with DK, but he left it with Rare, who did a absoluely fantastic job with DK. Then Rare left Nintendo, and now the series is in not so good hands. He risked his job to bring video games to America, and then throughout the world, because he felt he could change their thoughts of video games.

The Super Mario 64 is universal, LOZ is universal, DK is western mainly, Metroid is western, and by god does Super Mario Galaxy look Japan only? No, he mainly sticks with universal games, that fit everyone. Are you going to go on about how the LOZ is a Japan only series, because it is more liked by Europeans and North Americans, don't even get me started!

No video game designer is anywhere near his calibur, or is nearly as universally pleasing to their fans. The Mario series and LOZ series are the best example of this. If anything, he pleases non-Japaneese audiences a heck of a lot more than Japaneese audiences. Go on, show me LOZ or Mario is only for Japaneese audiences, I dare you to prove me wrong! :mad:

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
He doesn't value the opinion of those outside of Japan
Straight up bull. IF that were the case, Metroid Prime wouldn't exist.

he doesn't donate a cent of his millions to charity
Then why did he order the profits of Pink DS's to go to Breast Cancer research during BReast Cancer awarness onth, and donate DS's to the Penny Arcade's Child Arcade?

and chances are he eats whale
I do not deny this. Or do you mean regularly? In Japan, people rarely eat Whale on a regular basis (I think the only ones are the whalers), because whaling is a dying interest in Japan. Whale is like a rare onece a year meal - to a rare once in a lifetime meal, and is basically the priciest things on menues in fine resturants.

how can I respect him as a man?
You have high expectations, IMO.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It's been my experience that people who don't like Jungle Beat either have no rhythm, or (like most people on this board), can't take the fact that all the Rare-created Kongs weren't included. Seriously, it's a g3m. and for the record, Miyamoto didn't work on it, he just did the usual supervision.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
It's been my experience that people who don't like Jungle Beat either have no rhythm, or (like most people on this board), can't take the fact that all the Rare-created Kongs weren't included. Seriously, it's a g3m. and for the record, Miyamoto didn't work on it, he just did the usual supervision.
Well, I can't do Rythm games like Beat-Mania, DDR, or drum Mania, so I may have not rythm. But I can do Guitar Hero and EBA. I guess it depends on the game :ohwell:

I though Nintendo EAD Tokyo's was Miyomato's sector where he worked, but I suppose I misunderstood.

I was glad Jungle Beat didn't have Tiny Kong and Chunky. They're just rip-off's (<- Proof that Rare makes mistakes)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, I can't do Rythm games like Beat-Mania, DDR, or drum Mania, so I may have not rythm. But I can do Guitar Hero and EBA. I guess it depends on the game :ohwell:

I though Nintendo EAD Tokyo's was Miyomato's sector where he worked, but I suppose I misunderstood.

I was glad Jungle Beat didn't have Tiny Kong and Chunky. They're just rip-off's (<- Proof that Rare makes mistakes)
Well we can all agree Jungle Beat isn't that good. Guitar Heroes is pretty awsome though, played it last week felt like breaking stuff, lol! :laugh: Random fun Guitar Heroes is, the type of random fun I like! :)

If uyou hate Miyamoto, well I have news for you. He is helping quite a bit with SSBB, as he did with the past two SSB games. Lol, the Pink DS owns, hemightbegiant. All the cool kids have it (with the exception of me with only a GBa SP=:( ). I think hemightbegiant sums up why Miyamoto owns! Idc how much money Bill Gates or Microsoft has, they can't (or anyone for that matter) get anyone better at making games! :) :) :)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master

Miyamoto doesn't have any given studio or team that he sticks with. Although if he ever does take part in developing a game (like Galaxy, I'd imagine), he'd probably be working with EAD. But no, he really didn't have any influence on Jungle Beat.

And by the way Johnknight1, I love Jungle Beat. It's the only platformer with muscle. Conversely, I'm not all that into Guitar Hero. Beatmania, Taiko Drum, and other bemani stuff is more my style.

On an unrelated, completely off-topic note: http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2007/04/05/super-smash-bros-brawl-gets-hand-drawn-and-hilarious/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hahaha!
Jungle Beat is a horrible waste... It could be so much better and yet your satisfied with this already? Go and play DKC please... That's atleast a game which was COMPLETELY finished.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Hahaha!
Jungle Beat is a horrible waste... It could be so much better and yet your satisfied with this already? Go and play DKC please... That's atleast a game which was COMPLETELY finished.
I see what you did there...

Yeah, I played DKC. I liked the first and second one, as well as the first GameBoy title. Look, I know you didn't like Jungle Beat, and as much as it pains me to do so, I can accept that. But I loved it. I'm going to assume you didn't like it because you're either too much in love with Rare's characters to accept it, or you didn't like that they reused the same bosses through each world. Great. Now stop posting about how much you think it sucked.

...But for the heck of it, let's seewhat Metacritic has to say on the subject...

Jungle Beat: A respectable 80.

Donkey Kong Country: A respectable (though not as respectable) 78.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Review sites are reable sources in my opinion. But let's not go deeper into that.

Jungle Beat is actually an enjoyable game, but it's the fact that it's based from DKC but doesn't use any elements or characters from it. Yes I admit, I was pissed off that there where no Rare-created characters in Jungle Beat but that's not all.

First of all, DK looks VERY stupid in Jungle Beat. Why MUST he show his teeth everytime? And also, his new goofy imago irritates me. Why can't be just be the character Rare made him to be? A laidback nice guy who only comes into action when his friends, family or living place is in danger like most REAL gorillas...

The bosses where pretty cool I think. However they could have more of them...The Rocs where my favorite of the generic bosses.

To sum it up: Jungle Beat would be alot more loved and better if they included Rare characters (or atleast Diddy), had DKC elements as mine karting and barrel blasting, didn't had a stupid looking DK and had far more levels. Then Jungle Beat would've easly be my favorite game since DKC...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Review sites are reable sources in my opinion. But let's not go deeper into that.

Jungle Beat is actually an enjoyable game, but it's the fact that it's based from DKC but doesn't use any elements or characters from it. Yes I admit, I was pissed off that there where no Rare-created characters in Jungle Beat but that's not all.

First of all, DK looks VERY stupid in Jungle Beat. Why MUST he show his teeth everytime? And also, his new goofy imago irritates me. Why can't be just be the character Rare made him to be? A laidback nice guy who only comes into action when his friends, family or living place is in danger like most REAL gorillas...

The bosses where pretty cool I think. However they could have more of them...The Rocs where my favorite of the generic bosses.

To sum it up: Jungle Beat would be alot more loved and better if they included Rare characters (or atleast Diddy), had DKC elements as mine karting and barrel blasting, didn't had a stupid looking DK and had far more levels. Then Jungle Beat would've easly be my favorite game since DKC...
DK's definitely a beast of a different color in Jungle Beat, but I thought it was refreshing. And his "brawn over brains" design was suited to the way you played the game, especially when you first start and you're blistering your palms with the force you put into the bongos. The way you play is brutal, the boss battles are brutal, and **** are those platinum medals brutal. I also didn't have a problem with the scant 18 levels, since I must've played through em' at least five or six times going for platinum (which I did in every kingdom!).

I liked it like that, but then again, I haven't liked a Donkey Kong game since the first two Countries.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like Donkey Kong's looksmore in the Mario Sports and Mario Party a lot more than Jungle Beat. But hey, you can think what you want, that is after all just my opinion. The teeth do it in for me, lol.

HA HA!
Even if Link would own all of them, ha ha! Even if Nidorina is like my Pokemon in my opinion (I don't like most Pokemon). Lol, and any DKC game is better than Jungle Beat. Jungle Beat was alrite, but Guitar Heroes II is better.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614

Wow, so Shigeru Miyamoto is a bad guy just because you don't like the recent DK games. See you later, I'll play Mario VS DK 2 and eat sashimi.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK's definitely a beast of a different color in Jungle Beat, but I thought it was refreshing. And his "brawn over brains" design was suited to the way you played the game, especially when you first start and you're blistering your palms with the force you put into the bongos. The way you play is brutal, the boss battles are brutal, and **** are those platinum medals brutal. I also didn't have a problem with the scant 18 levels, since I must've played through em' at least five or six times going for platinum (which I did in every kingdom!).

I liked it like that, but then again, I haven't liked a Donkey Kong game since the first two Countries.
I've got nothing against his brawn over brains nature, but must DK ALWAYS show his teeth!? Also, he was way too short and his fur looked horrible. It's not all the teeth that made me hate DK's design in Jungle Beat...

Actually, I've completed Jungle Beat with all the medals too and I didn't had a that hard time. After a little while, you'll be doing the same combos over and over again so it isn't all that hard. The minimum for getting a Platinum Medal is 1200 beats... Well I got approximently 1500 beats each Kingdom so I can't say I find it challenging. I recall even having around 3000 beats in one Kingdom... I found finding the Hero Tokens in DKC2 for example far more challenging,

The Director

Smash Lord
I'll try to get this thread back on the right track...

In terms of a stage that could be used as Diddy's, the first thing that came to my mind was the pirate ship from DKC2. For those of us who have played the game, the best music for the level comes from the 'Rattle Battle' level. (the one where you're the snake)

Check it here:

http://www.midishrine.com/dritidet/sns/Donkey_Kong_Country_2/51rattle.mid

Seems like Diddy Kong material to me!

Also, a lot of people say that Diddy is a sidekick...I think not! He's a full video game hero if you ask me. He proved this point in DKC2, kicking *** all around.

I would be completely devastated if Diddy Kong was left out yet again...it would make me seriously debate whether or not mankind has God's love.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I'll try to get this thread back on the right track...

In terms of a stage that could be used as Diddy's, the first thing that came to my mind was the pirate ship from DKC2. For those of us who have played the game, the best music for the level comes from the 'Rattle Battle' level. (the one where you're the snake)

Check it here:

http://www.midishrine.com/dritidet/sns/Donkey_Kong_Country_2/51rattle.mid

Seems like Diddy Kong material to me!

Also, a lot of people say that Diddy is a sidekick...I think not! He's a full video game hero if you ask me. He proved this point in DKC2, kicking *** all around.

I would be completely devastated if Diddy Kong was left out yet again...it would make me seriously debate whether or not mankind has God's love.
But is it Brawl material (the music)? I know it's probably a bad idea to say that something doesn't "fit" into Smash Bros., but we do know that it's going in a different direction stylistically, and that the music's supposed to be orchestrated, complete with latin lyrics.

So a nautical-ragtimey number might not fit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also Diddy is confirmed being a playable character in Super Mario Strikers Charged for the Wii. Check the intro movie yourself: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CmCzWGncQ2w. It seems that Nintendo is reaaaally found of his Barrel Jetpack, so forget about any other type of recovery THIS is what it's gonna be! On a sidenote: Yay for toothless Diddy! :D

The Director

Smash Lord
But is it Brawl material (the music)? I know it's probably a bad idea to say that something doesn't "fit" into Smash Bros., but we do know that it's going in a different direction stylistically, and that the music's supposed to be orchestrated, complete with latin lyrics.

Well, I don't know about that. All the music won't be orchestrated. A lot of it will, but not all of it. A clear point in the right direction here would be the second Brawl trailer; the orchestrated theme is synthesized! Not orchestrated in any way.

I mean, do you really think every level is going to be orchestrated complete with latin lyrics? No way! That wouldn't fit Smash. There are so many characters with so many different character traits and musical themes to just stick with one epic style. I mean, come on. Does anybody here want the Mute City music to be orchestrated with singers? No way! Metal! Metal, metal, metal, metal!

I think the rattle battle music would fit perfectly. In fact, I would see them jazzing it up a bit. :cool:

Also Diddy is confirmed being a playable character in Super Mario Strikers Charged for the Wii. Check the intro movie yourself: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CmCzWGncQ2w. It seems that Nintendo is reaaaally found of his Barrel Jetpack, so forget about any other type of recovery THIS is what it's gonna be! On a sidenote: Yay for toothless Diddy! :D
Nice!! Charged def. just won me over with that opening movie. Hooray Diddy! He's getting more of the spotlight than ever.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I didn't like that trailer too much, mostly because Donkey Kong CLEARLY used his fist to hit the ball! That's against the rules!

But yeah, Diddy Kong's Barrel JetPack pwns!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It would look weird if DK would kick the ball I think. Even in Smash, DK is known for using his hands in almost every move he has. I think Bowser also uses his claws for hitting the ball, since he wears these steel gloves.

liamdamonkey

Smash Rookie
Yeah Diddy FTW

I expected him to be in SSBM and was dissapointed when he wasn't, but can't see them leaving him out of brawl.

I also have an idea: When diddy's recovering he can use his tail to grapple to edges..just an idea.

For the idea of putting dixie and diddy together i think it's terrible, just terrible. Leave Dixie out, Diddy solo and maybe throw K.Rool into the brawl cast. I can't see many other DK characters making it in besides that. Oh yeah of course Donkey King himself will return.

I can't imagine Diddy Kong Turning out to be a clone character..not because i think they wouldn't do it but because he wouldn't fit in with Donkey Kongs moveset. And you need to throw in things like Diddy's Jetpack and Wooden Guns :)

IF he was a clone he'd be a unique one.....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy would never be a DK clone atleast. Even in DKC, Diddy was completly different from DK. And even if Diddy was planned to be a DK clone, the developers still had one issue; DK's down B, since Diddy couldn't do that move in DKC. Diddy's gonna be an original character, that's for sure.

And yeah me to was disapointed when we got a Diddy-less Melee.

DK has tiny feet.
Yeah, but still his Bair in Melee is a deadly move. :p

The Director

Smash Lord
I also have an idea: When diddy's recovering he can use his tail to grapple to edges..just an idea.
Hey, yeah! That's a neat idea! His ledge grapple should be hanging on with his tail. :laugh:

That totally fits his character. And who says leave Dixie out? I say add her, Diddy, DK and K. Rool. One big happy DK family!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hey, yeah! That's a neat idea! His ledge grapple should be hanging on with his tail. :laugh:

That totally fits his character. And who says leave Dixie out? I say add her, Diddy, DK and K. Rool. One big happy DK family!
^^^ Can I agree with you more=? That move would work, and the DK franchise definitely deserves 4 spots, considering the only bigger franchises Nintendo has is Mario, Pokemon, and tLOZ (by just a bit). Dixie is awsome, and if there is room for K. Rool, great he'd be a perfect addition to the SSBB cast.

I bet the musical genius behind the Final Fantasy series, as well as Chrono Trigger could find a way to make the music work. Even if the song isn't orchestrated, there are some alternatives that could be used. It is a very catchy song, and i remeber it from the DKC series=awsome! :)

liamdamonkey

Smash Rookie
Ok I'm not so much against Dixie in all together, i just hate the idea of her a Diddy being a duo, i think that would suck. If it was realistic i'd say they should throw the whole DK64 team in as well.

The Director

Smash Lord
Nobuo Uematsu isn't doing all the music for Brawl, he's only doing the main theme which we've all heard.

Possibly he'll do 1 or 2 more songs, but for the normal music in Brawl they'll be using multiple composers. I wish Nobuo would do all the music too, but I'll settle for the contribution's he's already made. They've presented themselves as more than up to par and beyond!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nwah, they're just jealous that they can't do these techniques themselfs... Even when they aren't hard at all. The only thing that's for losers is DI-ing, cause why would you escape a combo? :p

Anyways, I finally got DKR DS and I'm in love with it again. **** European release dates...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
If it was realistic i'd say they should throw the whole DK64 team in as well.
Dear God no. Worst. Idea. Ever.

I understand how you might say that DK's a big franchise, and ten years ago, I'd agree, because the Country games sold really, really well, but DK doesn't really bring home the bacon like he used to.

When was the last actual DK game made? Diddy Kong Racing, King of Swing, and crappy bemani games aside, the last DK game we got was Jungle Beat. Sold terrible, despite being awesome and featuring the titular monkey. My point is that while the series may be up there in the top ten in historical sales, I can't see a whole four characters being included from such a run-down universe.

EDIT - I switch topics after the first sentence, I just forgot to signal it.

The Director

Smash Lord
Diddy is the next obvious choice for a DK character to be added to Brawl, and the entire DK64 team would just not work. I liked DK64, but outside of Diddy and DK the other guys just sucked.

I could see Chunky Kong as a DK clone, but what's the point? His character is just stupid.

Tiny Kong? Dixie would get first dibs in front of Tiny. Plus, Tiny's was a terrible character...

Lanky? I don't even have to start about Lanky.

Here's a good choice: what about Funky Kong as a DK clone? They're very similar in the SNES games, and I could actually see them adding somebody like Funky just to add another clone. Who knows, though. That was a Melee mentality. Maybe they won't have clones in Brawl...they probably will, though. :p

Top Bottom