• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I hate diddy kong. If anyone put Cranky Kong in the game! And throw in a banana bird swarm attack!

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
Let's review the reasons for Diddy being in Brawl:

1. He's back again, and about time, too.
2. He can fly real high with his jetpack on.
3. With his pistols out, he's one tough Kong.
4. He'll make you smile when he plays his tune.

Yes, the DK franchise has sailing in rough, Kroc-infested waters for years now, staying afloat only by the grace of Mario sports games and the Bongo controller. But what if, (and this is a big if) Brawl somehow provided the impetus and resurgence of popular interest to get the Kong family back on its feet?

Diddy's a well-done character, specifically from the DK64 standpoint. Shooting things with peanuts can't be too bad.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And I hate you. :) Cranky isn't gonna be in Brawl, but he'd be awesome I agree! Banana Bird swarm attack is a nice idea for the Wii game DK Jet however...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nawh just old. He's the classic DK, so I bet he still has some fighting potential left. ;) In DKC3 (only the GBA version) he also had a special minigame featuring him in a karate suit and a shield from the enemy Koin Kremlings. I bet Sakurai COULD make a cool and working moveset with these things, and ofcoarse throw some nostalic features from the Donkey Kong Arcade in his moves and he'd be perfect! XD

lex.aut

Smash Apprentice
imo diddy and dixie would fit perfect in the game. it's about time that some more characters of the kong-clan join the smash brothers series!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but lotsa fans here disagree with the idea. Most of them say that ruins Diddy's image, like he couldn't fight for his own and being called cheap by scrubs for that. However, the idea is good and Sakurai likes it. I don't care either way, I just want him in! >_< I'll main him no mather what so I don't care.

I've also made a moveset for the Diddy and Dixie tagteam a long time ago. Hmmm... Perhaps I'll make a new one later on.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Diddy Kong said:
Most of them say that ruins Diddy's image
As if it's not already been ruined by his creators. Boom boxes, toy guns, and a massive pot-belly do not a good image make.

Maybe in 1995, but not today.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As if it's not already been ruined by his creators. Boom boxes, toy guns, and a massive pot-belly do not a good image make.

Maybe in 1995, but not today.

This is now RARE left him after DK64. Boom boxes where hot in the 90ties, so it did his image good in DKC2. And actually, the wooden guns wheren't Rare's idea cause in an earlier screenshot Diddy has REAL guns! Maybe Nintendo didn't wanted seeing their Donkey Kong walking around with guns..?

And his pot belly isn't really all that bothering... Mario's also got a belly, but I've heard noone complain about that?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Diddy Kong said:
This is now RARE left him after DK64. Boom boxes where hot in the 90ties, so it did his image good in DKC2. And actually, the wooden guns wheren't Rare's idea cause in an earlier screenshot Diddy has REAL guns! Maybe Nintendo didn't wanted seeing their Donkey Kong walking around with guns..?

And his pot belly isn't really all that bothering... Mario's also got a belly, but I've heard noone complain about that?
Real guns? Ever heard of a little known game called Shadow the Hedgehog? That basically confirms my thoughts on RARE not knowing how to make a compelling character.

Anyway.

I can understand the boom-box. I downloaded DKC2 on Monday and some of the stupid crap RARE added (like the Boom Box and Guitar) are really starting to get to me. And as for the belly...at least Mario keeps his covered. You'd think that hanging out with Donkey "I Take Steroids" Kong all the time would shave off all those extra pounds...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shadow the Hedgehog yeah... >_>; I bet the guns would work exactly the same as even if they'd be real. They only made them wooden and let them shoot fruits and nuts...

Rare deffinatly knows how to make a good platformer. You know Banjo-Kazooie for example? That game was truly one of the best N64 games, and in my opinion far better than Super Mario AND Donkey Kong 64. DK64 wasn't just as good preformed... But the Donkey Kong Countries and Banjo-Kazooie where real killer platformers, you can't deny that.

But Mario still has the belly... =/ And even though you might get annoyed by the boom box and the guitar after a while (I can understand that, it DOES get on your nerfes after a while) but you can always just ya know, lightly jump on the ending platform?? You'll not get the item, but atleast you skip the music.

Besides, the only time you REALLY notice the belly is when Diddy's throwing a barrel or crate... Dixie also has a belly, it's just the design of the characters and it isn't bothering me at all.

And I dunno where your hate for Rare comes from, but I bet you'd never be as cricital towards them if they'd never left Nintendo. Ohh that's true, Nintendo ditched them instead. ¬.¬ Instead I'm rather grateful they're still allowed to work on DS games.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
Though I don't necessarily like Diddy, the series needs one more representative, and Diddy Kong is the only character who is popular enough to take the spot.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Diddy Kong said:
Shadow the Hedgehog yeah... >_>; I bet the guns would work exactly the same as even if they'd be real. They only made them wooden and let them shoot fruits and nuts...
They'd still be actual guns that fire death-delivering pieces of metal. The fact that RARE even considered that at one point is telling enough.

Rare deffinatly knows how to make a good platformer. You know Banjo-Kazooie for example? That game was truly one of the best N64 games, and in my opinion far better than Super Mario AND Donkey Kong 64. DK64 wasn't just as good preformed... But the Donkey Kong Countries and Banjo-Kazooie where real killer platformers, you can't deny that.
Banjo was kickin' back in the day, and so was DKC. But I've noticed something about DKC2 recently, which is that A) there are entirely too many things to collect, and not enough rewards to justify collecting them, and B) the level design is way too dependent on trial-and-error tactics.

But Mario still has the belly... =/ And even though you might get annoyed by the boom box and the guitar after a while (I can understand that, it DOES get on your nerfes after a while) but you can always just ya know, lightly jump on the ending platform?? You'll not get the item, but atleast you skip the music.
Oh I learned not to hit the target about as soon as I started playing the game. But now I'm out of lives...*sob*

Besides, the only time you REALLY notice the belly is when Diddy's throwing a barrel or crate... Dixie also has a belly, it's just the design of the characters and it isn't bothering me at all.
True enough.

And I dunno where your hate for Rare comes from, but I bet you'd never be as cricital towards them if they'd never left Nintendo. Ohh that's true, Nintendo ditched them instead. ¬.¬ Instead I'm rather grateful they're still allowed to work on DS games.
My dislike for RARE comes from what I said before about their level designers. Also, I've never been a big fan of any of the "Kong Family" that RARE made up out of the blue to make their games more "with it". Don't get me wrong, alot of their stuff is awesome (Viva Pinata, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, DKR64, Banjo 1), it's just recently I've begun to see why Ninty would drop them.

They ate up alot of resources making junk like DK64 and Jet Force Gemini.

Also, I'd like to quote something for truth:

BoG said:
Though I don't necessarily like Diddy, the series needs one more representative, and Diddy Kong is the only character who is popular enough to take the spot.

Del Money

Smash Champion
all i have to say is Diddy is pretty much in. 100% confident he'll be in and thats good news to me. first off, nintendo has left him out of every nintendo-character party game prior to and include SSBM. the post-SSBM gamecube era showed the chimp in every nintendo-character party type game (MK: Double Dash, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Party <insert whatever number(s) it was here>). i honestly dont think theres much more to discuss. the only way Diddy wont be in is if nintendo rushes development to put out the game and the game is released with only the character cast from the most recent trailer. lol how sad would that be?

Itchi

Smash Cadet
It would be better if they added Kiddy Kong and Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong. But not together like the Ice Climber.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
Diddy would be a interesting charcter to add to the game, and he does have quite a fan base to back him up but to be honest with you, I much rather see cute Dixie Kong :p

Del Money

Smash Champion
Diddy would be a interesting charcter to add to the game, and he does have quite a fan base to back him up but to be honest with you, I much rather see cute Dixie Kong :p
well we know for a fact Diddy is the 1st one in if nintendo included more characters from the DK series. and then most likely K. Rool for a villain, but that makes only 3 DK series characters compared to like 5 potential mario series characters and the series has plenty of additional candidates that could join in. its very possible another kong besides donkey and diddy could be added and i think it would probably be dixie since dixie was in dkc2 and 3. all other kongs either appeared in one game (i.e. other kongs of dk64 & kiddie kong) or were not playable characters (cranky, funky, candy)

Itchi

Smash Cadet
well we know for a fact Diddy is the 1st one in if nintendo included more characters from the DK series. and then most likely K. Rool for a villain, but that makes only 3 DK series characters compared to like 5 potential mario series characters and the series has plenty of additional candidates that could join in. its very possible another kong besides donkey and diddy could be added and i think it would probably be dixie since dixie was in dkc2 and 3. all other kongs either appeared in one game (i.e. other kongs of dk64 & kiddie kong) or were not playable characters (cranky, funky, candy)
Yeah.. I have many doubts on Cranky joining because he was NEVER a playable character throughout the DK series.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They'd still be actual guns that fire death-delivering pieces of metal. The fact that RARE even considered that at one point is telling enough.
Actually it worked out perfectly in Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64. Conker is a character that -just like Banjo- debuted in Diddy Kong Racing. The game got ported to the Xbox quite some years ago now and it was also was awesome stuff. It's a shame it was released so late however...

Banjo was kickin' back in the day, and so was DKC. But I've noticed something about DKC2 recently, which is that A) there are entirely too many things to collect, and not enough rewards to justify collecting them, and B) the level design is way too dependent on trial-and-error tactics.
Well, you can easly compare collecting the DK Coins and Bonus Coins like collecting the medals from Jungle Beat. You'll unlock more levels and the final boss fight with it. That is in my opinion a pretty justifying, moreso than let's say New Super Mario's coins... They did nothing besides giving you an extra few stars on your game file. >_>;

And even though DKC2 might feel like that, the game never really tries to screw you up and is still challenging in the same time. You'll never have freefalls and end up landing on the hegdehog enemies, unlike Yoshi's Island DS which wasn't challenging at all but DID tried to screw you over a lot.

Oh I learned not to hit the target about as soon as I started playing the game. But now I'm out of lives...*sob*
Well, just return to the first level. ;) Replay it once of twice and you'll have enough lives for a couple of time.

True enough.[/QUOTE[

Yup. ^^

My dislike for RARE comes from what I said before about their level designers. Also, I've never been a big fan of any of the "Kong Family" that RARE made up out of the blue to make their games more "with it". Don't get me wrong, alot of their stuff is awesome (Viva Pinata, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, DKR64, Banjo 1), it's just recently I've begun to see why Ninty would drop them.
Rare was always one of Nintendo's best second party companies. Somehow I just don't think their games "belong" to Microsoft, since the Xbox is more for 18+ casual gamers or atleast that's my fiew from it. Games as Viva Pinata would do a little better if they'd be on a Nintendo console I think...

They ate up alot of resources making junk like DK64 and Jet Force Gemini.
Even though DK64 wasn't as good as Banjo-Kazooie, Zelda and Mario 64 it wasn't a junk game. It still got very good reviews, and had nice gameplay. The biggest downside however was that you'd had to keep changing characters and walkthrough the same levels again 5 times. That, and the minigames... Some of them where simply frustating. I've never played Jet Force Gemini though.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Even though DK64 wasn't as good as Banjo-Kazooie, Zelda and Mario 64 it wasn't a junk game. It still got very good reviews, and had nice gameplay. The biggest downside however was that you'd had to keep changing characters and walkthrough the same levels again 5 times. That, and the minigames... Some of them where simply frustating.
i agree. DK64 was pretty darn good. not as good and zelda and mario (and i never played banjo-kazooie). i'll admit the game got very childish many times with most of the humor and the sound effects (ahhh those random burps and farts), but the gameplay was pretty sexy in my opinion. though i agree with Chief Mendez that the addition of all these extra kongs was a little much. (i liked Chunky Kong though)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd also prefer if they'd just had DK, Diddy, Dixie and perhaps Kiddy, and not HAVING to switch characters all the time, perhaps once but not for every little thing. But perhaps Rare tried to make the game more like Banjo-Kazooie, since it was a huge succes? Rare's DK franchise was never as cartoony as DK64...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lanky was my fave from all new Kongs in DK64 too. Annnnd he's returning in DK Jet! :D For those that dunno **** about DK Jet yet, it's a Donkey Kong racing game featuring barrel jetpacks and DKC enviorments and even better, not a single Jungle Beat reference. ;)

This, and the fact that Diddy uses his barrel jetpack in Mario Strikers Charged Football pretty much confirms that his recovery move WILL be the barrel jetpack, even Nintendo likes it!

Del Money

Smash Champion
perhaps the jetpack would be simlar to fox's up+B. really hope DK Jet is good. i was looking forward to Diddy Kong Pilot for GBA until the whole Rare/Microsoft crap happened.

anyways, Diddy is in without a doubt. i'm 80% sure K. Rool is in too. if they add a 4th DK character (which i'm only 50% sure they will) i think itll probably be Dixie. was Dixie in any of the recent nintendo-character-party type games?

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
...I just know I'm going to get flamed for saying this...

There are people out there who think that Diddy Kong doesn't have much of a chance being in Brawl, because he's "owned" by Rare.

Other guys say he can't fight, but that's not much of a reason.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
He's not owned by Rare, but he was created by them. And he could definitely fight...I just don't want him fighting with stupid moves, is all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, I do kinda agree with Chief Mendez here. I don't want Sakurai to draw too much stuff of Diddy from DK64. The Chimpy Charge would be fine, but the Peanut Popguns... I'd perhaps prefer if they'd gave Diddy a made up B move.

Otherwise, Diddy could deffinatly fight. Who'd think that Fox, Falco or Sheik for the mather could fight before Smash? And now look at them, all top tier characters. =/

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but Diddy actually had moves in his games, and yet people refuse to see that... They rather have characters that never fought before with made up moves than a character that basically writes his own moves? ¬¬ Some people are just too baised...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Diddy kong!!! He's the top character (next to sonic) that i would like to see in brawl.
I can him using a barrel jet-pack as a up+B already. I just hope they don't make him like the ice climber duo and make him to fight with dixie kong that would suck. What if Chunkey was in Brawl, in dk64 he make Donkey kong look like the size of Mario. he would probally be like donkey kong but could grab two people and thenwhile pressing a he would smash the two enemy's heads together.....

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shame on you! DKC1 & 2 atleast, where seriously one of the best -if not THE best- games on the SNES. The games where all platformers, and even though some say it where clone games from Super Mario they where not. The only common feature both series had is that you could kill enemies by jumping on them, or couldn't you?

Since in DKC you control a tag team. In DKC1, you'd have Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. You know DK, he's big, heavy and strong. He could easly destroy any enemy by just jumping or rolling on/at them, he could easly lift barrels and crates like they weight nothing and could pull out any sort of items out of the ground with his Hand Slap move. For the cost for speed and jumping.

Diddy however, is small, light and not all that strong. He can't do the Hand Slap, carries the barrels infront of them while DK lifts them above his head and he couldn't kill heavier enemies with just a jump or a roll (cartwheel in his case). However, Diddy was a better swimmer, jumps higher and runs faster and his cartwheel is faster than DK's roll.

But you really see what I mean when you actually play the game yourself. Perhaps you could download it from the VC? *coughorjustsearchforadkcgbaromlikeeverybodyelsecough*

Top Bottom