• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy Kong Appreciation Thread: From Dinky to Diddy, From the Jungle to the Brawl.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i think that DK64 was a big game for diddy, and the fact that donkey kong doesn't borrow from it strenghthens the need to have some rep from that game. don't most people remember him from that game and from the moves he did there platforming-wise? plus, didy kong had all of the best weapons in that game, who can pass up akimbo style pistols, an electric guitar, and a jetpack for christs sake. those are items that could add amazing potential to the game, all the while making didy kong a more unique and enjoyable character. and if you are going to give dixie tiny kongs moves, then why not just do a diddy, tiny kong team.
and ray 01 is the main character from custom robo, an excelent game on the GC.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Hm, Ray 01 would be a neat character.

And I don't know about you, but when I think Diddy kong I think DKC, especialy the first two, which I think are the best of the bunch. So Diddy might borrow a bit from DK64, but then again he might not. I'm just saying that you can't use inability to use DK64 moves as an excuse to not team Diddy with Dixie.

On that note, Diddy should be teamed with Dixie because it's a team that's actually HAPPENED in a game. Also, unless I'm mistaken Dixie Kong is Diddys girlfriend, which is why Diddy and Dixie were teamed in the first place. The Diddy/Dixie team is backed up by the games, whereas any other Diddy combo isn't.

phate

Smash Apprentice

And I don't know about you, but when I think Diddy kong I think DKC, especialy the first two, which I think are the best of the bunch. So Diddy might borrow a bit from DK64, but then again he might not. I'm just saying that you can't use inability to use DK64 moves as an excuse to not team Diddy with Dixie.

On that note, Diddy should be teamed with Dixie because it's a team that's actually HAPPENED in a game..
In my opinion the reason they would take diddy's moves from dk64 is that he would have a much cooler/unique moveset than if they took it from the country games. The thing I love about super smash bros is you see some of the moves characters actually did in the games( like mario's AAA combo, Smash+down A and a bunch of others with most characters) and I'm sure that is one of the main things that goes into the minds of the people making the moveset. Dixie would completely restrict most of these move. Yes, dixie could make some unique and cool moves combined with diddy, but they wouldn't really mean much.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion the reason they would take diddy's moves from dk64 is that he would have a much cooler/unique moveset than if they took it from the country games...
... Dixie would completely restrict most of these move. Yes, dixie could make some unique and cool moves combined with diddy, but they wouldn't really mean much.
...if wikipedia serves, Dixie didn't make an appearance in DK64. Which gives you two options: either give Dixie her younger sister Tiny Kongs moves (crossbow, saxophone), OR create an entierly new set of moves for Dixie, which could be tailor made to suit Diddys needs. There, problem solved.
Dixie doesn't have to resrict anything.

phate

Smash Apprentice
Its not dixie, its a partner in the first place that would resrict his moveset. As many people have probably said, the partner thing works for ice climbers because they are exactly the same in a sense. Dixie is a totally different character and even if they used tiny's it still wouldn't fit right. A new moveset would work but I think it would be more likely that they pull moves from other games, most likely dk64.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
Of course not every move diddy uses is going to be from DK64, his cartwheel from DKC would be a great dash attack. the thing is that DK64 offers u a great b move list that would be a lot harder to draw from his other platforming games.
you've got the jet pack for his recovery which he has used as a recovery since DK64.
you have his chimpy charge, which would work similar to the missile move, except when released it would act like the yoshi egg roll, but with less control(b>).
you have his akimbo style peanut popguns which could be a slower version of foxes pistol move, except he would fire three shots each time you pressed B.
and finally, you have the electric guitar which could work as a lot of things. i could see it being a mix of foxes shine and jiggly's song move except it wouldn't put enemies to sleep, it could knock them back or stun them. it could be that or it could work as his super move.
you could also make the AAA combo his tail spin attack combo from DK64.
now try to make a B move set using just moves you've seen from DKC.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
^^^ Those are great ideas, Diddy Kong in Brawl is growing on me.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Its not dixie, its a partner in the first place that would resrict his moveset. As many people have probably said, the partner thing works for ice climbers because they are exactly the same in a sense. Dixie is a totally different character and even if they used tiny's it still wouldn't fit right. A new moveset would work but I think it would be more likely that they pull moves from other games, most likely dk64.
As I've said before: this is only if you use a very narrow definition of team character. The IC are identicle, yes, but this isn't how Diddy and Dixie have to be. For example, in DKC2 Diddys cartwheel and Dixies Ponytail attack looked different, but functioned identicaly. It would take more effort, but a similar thing could be done with a Diddy/Dixie team; different moves, but the same basic effect. OR, you could have Diddy as a permenant leader with Dixie as constant backup. Diddy is average on his own, but a fearsome adversary when backed up by Dixie, or something similar. My point is that there are any number of ways around this little snag, I've only named just two.

Of course not every move diddy uses is going to be from DK64, his cartwheel from DKC would be a great dash attack. the thing is that DK64 offers u a great b move list that would be a lot harder to draw from his other platforming games.
you've got the jet pack for his recovery which he has used as a recovery since DK64...
--(lists many, many possible moves from DK64)--...now try to make a B move set using just moves you've seen from DKC.
Okay, I'll admit that Diddy has a LOT to draw from in DK64. Point made, and taken.
However, DK had an equal amount of moves to take, and none were taken. Of his four B moves in Melee, one was from DKC and the last three were Smash Bros. originals. I'm not saying that the Brawl team will take from other games, I'm saying that they may at least partialy ignore DK64 and just make up some moves.
My only real point with all this is to say that when discussing a character, you can't marry yourself to a single game and use it as an argument against. Being a team may make it more difficult for Diddy to pull of a move from DK64, but this isn't a reason to scrap the idea of Diddy as a team.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Diddy Kong? Wow: not just for the absurd idea, but also for the amount of support he's getting.

Is it just me, or does Diddy (and Dixie, and Lanky, and Tiny, and Candy, and...that surfing one) seem like a generic sidekick slapped on to DK to conform with Rare's ideas on mascot characters and the games they star in? I'll admit, it wasn't too bad in the SNES and GB games, but there's a reason DK64 didn't sell well: because Rare tried too hard to make DK into something it's not supposed to be: the deadbeat dad of Sonic Adventure 2 (zing!).

Personal feelings aside, I still don't think Diddy's a good choice. I really don't see him as a Nintendo character, and when was the last time he was in a game that didn't involve go-kart racing? As unlikely as it may be, I'd like to see Brawl pay homage to the best 2D platformer next to Yoshi's Island: Donkey Kong jungle Beat. Give me Ninja Kong, Sumo Kong, Karate Kong, or Dread Kong. Why not all four (:oversaturation much?)?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Personal feelings aside, I still don't think Diddy's a good choice. I really don't see him as a Nintendo character, and when was the last time he was in a game that didn't involve go-kart racing? As unlikely as it may be, I'd like to see Brawl pay homage to the best 2D platformer next to Yoshi's Island: Donkey Kong jungle Beat. Give me Ninja Kong, Sumo Kong, Karate Kong, or Dread Kong. Why not all four (:oversaturation much?)?
First you say thta one of the most popular and requested Nintendo characters for this game stands little chance and then you suggest four of the least popular DK characters from the least popular game in the series that is despised by pretty much every fan of the series. Wow.

Which is why Donkey Kong always appears as he did in DKC (with the red necktie),
Donkey Kong NEVER had a horrible ugly toothy grin in the DKC games, he looks completely different since the rare sellout.

you're saying Diddy needs to be solo so he can race in a hovercraft?
NO! So that he can double represent his series and the DKC series.

In fact, EVERY appearance made by Donkey Kong since DKC has been drawing heavily those games.
Jungle Beat takes NOTHING from the DKC games, it has different characters, different DK apperance, different gameplay only things it kept were the name DK and bananas.

DKC saved the super NES, so there's really no reason for Nintendo to hate on it, at all.
That's what I would think too but look at Jungle Beat.

Is this DK "Donkey Kong Jr." as in the old arcade machine/NES game?
Yes

Also, why are you ok with Dixie and Kiddy Kong as a team?
Because neither could make it in on their own (well maybe Dixie) and they have been paired. I don't really support that but Dixie/Kiddy > Diddy/Dixie for Brawl.

Aside from being an abomination, Kiddy has less in common with Dixie than Diddy does,
Yeah being Cousins means absoloutly nothing.

so by your own logic they wouldn't be able to use any of their moves. Isn't that the same problem?
They only have around one or two moves so that's different. Plus neither of them are anywhere near as popular or recognisable as Diddy.

what is she going to do when he starts going postal with his peanut popguns?
Going Postal? Like giving out Mail?

she has no musical instruements to back diddy up,
She had a guitar in DKC2

she has nothing to fly with when he pulls out his jetpack
She has her hair

So why assume the same for Diddy?
Because that was a very popular game that has next to no represetation in melee aside from the horrible version of the rap. Seriously whoever made that remix should die.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Something stinks around here...hmm...what's that? "...the least popular game in the series that is despised by pretty much every fan of the series."

Well, maybe if the fans would read the box and notice that there's no"Country", "Land", or a Rare logo on it, they wouldn't despise it so much. When the series DK ditches all the tagalongs that made the last traditional DK game (64) so bad, adds a dash of rhythm, and generally tears the living daylights out of bosses that would send K. Rool running for the hills, the fans cry foul? Wha?

And honestly, does popular opinion really carry definitive authority, especially when it comes from nerds like us who don't even speak the same language as the developers? The same developers (well, developer) that snuck in surprise guests like G&W into their/his last Smash?

The Rare formula that created Diddy Kong doesn't mesh well with the Nintendo formula. Design choices like "Peanut Poppers"and a barrel jetpack are found nowhere else in the Nintendo universe: and for good reason.

You may fondly remember Diddy from your SNES days, like alot of us do (including yours truly), but that doesn't mean he's a good choice for Brawl.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Well, maybe if the fans would read the box and notice that there's no"Country", "Land", or a Rare logo on it, they wouldn't despise it so much. When the series DK ditches all the tagalongs that made the last traditional DK game (64) so bad, adds a dash of rhythm, and generally tears the living daylights out of bosses that would send K. Rool running for the hills, the fans cry foul? Wha?
It had no difficulty, subpar graphics, a vast downplay in music quality, a horrendous story and horrific character models. Take the DK name off it and it might be ok. It was worse than Fire Emblem Sacred Stones and that game sucked a lot.

especially when it comes from nerds like us
Don't jump to conclusions, you may fall short.

Design choices like "Peanut Poppers"and a barrel jetpack are found nowhere else in the Nintendo universe:
So because Mushrooms are found nowhere but Mario they suck and so does the whole series?

Why would he be bad?

FACT: He has his own series
FACT: He is also a MAJOR character in a popular Nintendo series
FACT: He would easily have his own moveset
FACT: He is popular according to major websites and forums such as here, gamefaqs, gamespot and the nsider forums.

There are only about 2 or 3 people against him.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It had no difficulty, subpar graphics, a vast downplay in music quality, a horrendous story and horrific character models. Take the DK name off it and it might be ok. It was worse than Fire Emblem Sacred Stones and that game sucked a lot.

So because Mushrooms are found nowhere but Mario they suck and so does the whole series?
"...no difficulty..." Have you ever tried getting Platinum medals in every Kingdom? Didn't think so.

"...downplay in music quality..." What? The score perfectly embodied the how the game played, not to mention the catchiest ending theme this side of WindWaker.

"Horrendous story". As opposed to the Shakespearean poesy found in Donkey Kong Country. "Kremlings stole our bananas, let's get em' back", or "kongs took over my jungle; let's get em' back." Platformers don't need storylines (Mama Peach!?). Oh, and the graphics were great, not that it matters.

I realize I didn't elaborate on why Popgun design isn't Nintendo/Brawl worthy, and I apologize. But I still stand by what I said.

Mushrooms in Mario games doesn't apply here, A) they originated in a game that makes no relaistic sense: a plumber saving a princess by killing a giant turtle. Secondly, and more importantly: they are not a cliche'. A good comparison is the cartoon Kids Next Door. The art design in the show calls for "Peanut Poppers" (though maybe not specifically so: rather, the typer of weapon generic children's cartoons would have you believe a kid would wield), because the whole show is a forced cliche' that, when looked at in the right light, is humorous because of it.

Think of a movie like Home Alone. Any sensible kid would "gtfo"(pardon my acronym) and get help. But popular, overdone sterotypes of children would have the child place himself as the lone defender of his house, using all manners of 'kooky shenanigans' to protect his home.

This all seems a bit abstract, doesn't it? My point is, do any other Nintendo characters besides the Rare developed DK characters use cliche's like that? No. They either use original ideas (mushrooms, wing caps, F.L.U.D.D.), or they gracefully promote the cliche's by incorporating them into a really fun game universeand honoring them thusly (the entire Zelda series).

Phew. Kind of lost myself in that one.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
It was worse than Fire Emblem Sacred Stones and that game sucked a lot.
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones is the best game in the series to date. As well as being the last game to feature the awesome spritework of the GBA games, Sacred Stones had single most complex and innovative class upgrade system to date. It also feature the awesome Dark/Light/Anima magic circle, instead of the stupid Fire/Wind/Lightning circle found in the new Laguz filled consol instalments.

Also, you can't say that DK still doesn't draw from DKC. Before DKC, DK was the bad guy appearing in a construction site, a zoo, and a greenhouse. DKC created the image of DK in the Jungle, and gave him his red necktie. Every game DK has appeared in since has given him that necktie and a Jungle setting.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy Kong? Wow: not just for the absurd idea, but also for the amount of support he's getting.

Is it just me, or does Diddy (and Dixie, and Lanky, and Tiny, and Candy, and...that surfing one) seem like a generic sidekick slapped on to DK to conform with Rare's ideas on mascot characters and the games they star in? I'll admit, it wasn't too bad in the SNES and GB games, but there's a reason DK64 didn't sell well: because Rare tried too hard to make DK into something it's not supposed to be: the deadbeat dad of Sonic Adventure 2 (zing!).

OH PLEASE! I'm not gonna write a whole essay on this but.

DKC is great, Rare is great, Nintendo is great, Jungle Beat sucks ****. DK64 didn't sucked, it was just overshadowed ALOT by Banjo-Kazooie. The game was too much like it. And wtf is Sonic Adventures 2?

Diddy is a great choice because he's populair (even more than DK himself) has his own series which sells GOOD, 3rd best selling software product of the month Februari, sold better than Zelda Twilight Princess. He's got alot of moves to draw of even without DK64, and he's BY FAR the best character for another DK character.

Why?

1. Unique moves, won't be a clone of DK.
2. Appeared in alot of games even after Rare left.
3. Even apppeared in Mario games, and no not only MK: Double Dash.
4. Jungle Beat sucks ****.
5. DKC doesn't.
6. Populair.

God dammit and I said I wouldn't write a whole essay about it... >_<;

ClarkJables

Smash Lord

My only real point with all this is to say that when discussing a character, you can't marry yourself to a single game and use it as an argument against.
aren't you doing the exact same thing yourself?
and by going postal, i meant pulling out a gun and shooting as many holes in the opposing characters as possible, and i didn't know about dixie's guitar so i apologize on that one.

keko_keko

Smash Cadet
I'd prefer diddy to be solo, but in the case he is teamed up with dixie there could be some neat moves making the duo scale heights and distances. I'm assuming diddy lead btw. Instead of a second jump, if dixie is on close proximity, she could grap dixie (they'd still do the jump for the bit of extra height) but afterwards dixie could grab onto diddy and they could glide back onto the surface (dixie's helicopter hair). And the up-b move be kong on shoulders throw were diddy throws dixie up high and (magically?) gets shifted close to her. (nevermind this if it's already been suggested).

I'm all for Diddy Kong, ... and Funky Kong!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
DKC is great, Rare is great, Nintendo is great. DK64 didn't suck, it was just overshadowed ALOT by Banjo-Kazooie. The game was too much like it. And wtf is Sonic Adventure 2?

...He's got alot of moves to draw of even without DK64, and he's BY FAR the best character for another DK character.
I never said Rare games were anything but great; they just don't gel with The N's way of doing things. Nintendo did, in fact, have reasons for letting Rare go.

If you've not heard of SA2, that suggests you're not quite up to speed on vidogames made in the new millenium, and as such aren't in a position to say what sucks what.

I'm not arguing Diddy's abundance of moves here, nor his poularity. What I am arguing is his lack of a competent design when contrasted to the other Smash characters.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
competent design? you are talking about a game where an ancient swordsman and a u.s. special agent can fight against two plumbers from Brooklyn, a pink ball with hands, feet, and a face, an electric rat, a fox who is also the pilot of a spaceship, and a black man. competent design went out the window when they made the ssb franchise.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
competent design? you are talking about a game where an ancient swordsman and a u.s. special agent can fight against two plumbers from Brooklyn, a pink ball with hands, feet, and a face, an electric rat, a fox who is also the pilot of a spaceship, and a black man. competent design went out the window when they made the ssb franchise.
DIDDY'S design when contrasted to OTHER SMASH CHARACTERS.

Not gameplay, but character design. There aren't any cliche' tagalongs present in Melee, so why add them to the sequel?

P.S. The Mario Bros. aren't from Brooklyn. And who's the black guy...Mr. Game & Watch?

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
The Mario Bros. aren't from Brooklyn.QUOTE]
Actually, they sort of are.

See, back when the original Donkey Kong was out, Mario, then Jumpman, was portrayed as a man from Brooklyn, as was in Mario Bros..

What contradicts this was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, where it shows the Mario Bros. being born in the Mushroom Kingdom. It can be assumed that they were born in the Mushroom Kingdom, but then moved to the Brooklyn, then back to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The Mario Bros. aren't from Brooklyn.QUOTE]
Actually, they sort of are.

See, back when the original Donkey Kong was out, Mario, then Jumpman, was portrayed as a man from Brooklyn, as was in Mario Bros..

What contradicts this was Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, where it shows the Mario Bros. being born in the Mushroom Kingdom. It can be assumed that they were born in the Mushroom Kingdom, but then moved to the Brooklyn, then back to the Mushroom Kingdom.
But I wonder if Miyamoto ever saw them as Brooklyn inhabitants, or even Italian for that matter.

In the early days of NOA, would it be too hard to imagine some uptight boss slapping the Brooklyn idea onto this hot property to appeal to American kids?

The same sort of thing happened with Sonic during his Genesis days. Naka had no input on his character's history (games, cartoons/comics--the works, were all made by other people without his input)after the first game.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
yes G&W is the black man, and in the Mario bros t.v. show they were from Brooklyn so i thought i would throw it in there for kicks. and btw i don't think diddy kong's design is a cliche, he is a monkey with wearing a t-shirt and a baseball cap, showing his age in relation to Donkey Kong's, who wears a tie. exactly what part of him is a cliche?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
yes G&W is the black man, and in the Mario bros t.v. show they were from Brooklyn so i thought i would throw it in there for kicks. and btw i don't think diddy kong's design is a cliche, he is a monkey with wearing a t-shirt and a baseball cap, showing his age in relation to Donkey Kong's, who wears a tie. exactly what part of him is a cliche?
In my 2nd-to-last post on the previous page I sort of explained it.

It's not really Diddy's appearance, but rather his...place in the Donkey Kong mythos, how he acts, and how Rare (his creator and only company to deal with him) has used him.

This is a pretty tough concept to sell over a message board, so just bear with me.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i am trying to bear with you but your having trouble getting your point across. could you elaborate a little so i can better understand what you are trying to say?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Argh, my Wii crapped out on me and I'm not writing all I had again. Plus I have school in the morning so I'll post an elaboration tomorrow. But do read that post on the previous page!

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i did and i am still confused as to your meaning, and props for having a wii, i don't write on mine though, its like writing on a psp.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay then, let's elaborate.

As previously stated: it's Diddy's place, manner, and usage that make me vote against him.

When Rare was given the DK license by Nintendo to make a new game for the SNES, they only had one character: Donkey Kong. From other Rare projects (Banjo, Ghoulies, Gemini, Kameo, even Perfect Dark), we can see Rare's philosophy on characters: there has to be alot of them, and no archetype should be left out. At the very least, a diverse cast is a must when Rare creates a platformer.

So Diddy Kong was born! Meant as a chirpy counterpart to DK's tough, stoic existence, he was an instant hit. And really, if none of the other 'Countries' had been made, I'd have no beef with Diddy whatsoever.

My problem started when we were introduced to such horrendously generic sterotypes as Candy(the next door), Dixie (the sassy kid sister), Tiny (the ironically-named, lovable thug), and Funky (the "cool" one).
These tagalong kongs supplanted the star of the games in later DKCs, and eventually ruined the otherwise mediocre collect-a-thon that is Donkey Kong 64. (On a personal note, I had sworn off of DK games until King of Swing and Jungle Beat helped me back into the fold.)

By this point, Diddy was no longer the "spritely sidekick", but the "crazy kid" of the series. This is where my argument gets a little hazy, as the distinction between the two is rather hard to spot. The best way to put it is how Diddy was presented in DK64. Corkguns? Jetpacks? Why? Diddy never needed these tools before, so why?

Because by this point, Rare had lost sight of what they were paid to do: make good games. They now had a "successful" formula, established with Banjo-Kazooie, which they would apply to all future 3D projects. If you think about it; once they nailed the DKC formula, not a thing was changed. This, as anyone will tell you, will hurt a series after only so many games. I'll give you three examples, in case the meaning doesn't sink in:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog
After Sonic Adventure, the 3D Sonic's fell apart. Too many bland sidekicks, stubbornly 2000-esque controls, and no changes to the overall formula have really damaged the franchise's reputation. The recent Secret Rings shows just how much for the better a formula switch can change a series.

2. Street Fighter
This hunk of arcade goodness refuses to change. How many "Street FIhgter 3's" have we sat through, wondering wjat was actually changed? Again, no adjustments to a proven formula really blemishes an otherwise good game.

3. Banjo-Kazooie
Only one game was fun. I'll give you one guess as to which one I mean. "Tooie's" reception as a re-hash is the most extreme example of how a tired concept (how many notes/puzzle pieces/honey combs can you collect!?) will utterly a franchise.

...Still with me?

So where was I? Ah yes, Diddy in Brawl. Since DK64's release, all Diddy's done is race in cars. He hasn't made any platforming appearances. This is because noone wants to touch a property with such uninspired characters. There is a reason Rare was sold...

To wrap things up (my library's about to close!), Diddy's image as a "crazy kid" doesn't mix with the rest of Brawl. Not the best conclusion, but I'll answer any extranneous concerns later from my Wii.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
1.diddy has appeared in games since DK64 other than racing games, just to name a few: both DK: kings of swing, Donkey Konga 1 and 2, mario hoops 3 on 3, mario superstar baseball, mario golf TT, and lastly mario power tennis.there is a noticeable lack of platforming, but this list is certainly not all racing games. he should get a platforming game to establish himself, and brawl could give him this chance.
2. just because rare might have screwed diddy over, it doesn't mean he should be forgotten like the other DK sidekicks. i think that those items (peanut popgun, jet pack, guitar, etc...) further developed his character. he was a kid in DKC, and this shows it. what kid doesn't think about riding a jet pack or shredding licks on an electric guitar like their favorite rock star. and what kid doesn't want to play with dangerous toys, especially toy guns. he is still donkey kong's sidekick, he always has been and most likely always will be, this just shows character development. when he was first introduced you could say he was an adolescent, and now you are seeing his growth into teenager-hood.
3. how come you can get here at your school library, my school blocks this stuff...

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
It's my local library. My school blocks this site too.

Anyway, all Diddy's other appearances (the ones you listed) are just cameos, and really don't count. Nintendo seems content to just use Diddy as a compliment to DK so he's not the lone rep of his series.

...I'd actually like to rephrase my stance on Diddy: he'd be fine in Brawl, but he should be at/near the bottom of The Studio's priorities. There are many more deserving characters than Diddy.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
the thing is this, Sakurai wants to bring more rep to series with only one character, like DK, fzero, kirby, yoshi, metroid, etc...
so if it he does add more rep to the DK series, who could better add rep to the series AND provide a unique brawling experience at the same time. also, who is one of the most well known DK series characters besides DK himself, most people will say diddy kong because of the cameos which aren't really cameos because he was playable in most of them except for the konga games which i don't know much about so correct me if i am wrong on that.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
the thing is this, Sakurai wants to bring more rep to series with only one character, like DK, fzero, kirby, yoshi, metroid, etc...
so if it he does add more rep to the DK series, who could better add rep to the series AND provide a unique brawling experience at the same time. also, who is one of the most well known DK series characters besides DK himself, most people will say diddy kong because of the cameos which aren't really cameos because he was playable in most of them except for the konga games which i don't know much about so correct me if i am wrong on that.
No, he was in Konga 1 and 2. When I said "cameos", I rather meant that Diddy wasn't central, or at all a core part of the game(s).

Sumo Kong or Stanley would be more unique than Diddy, who I imagine would play like a Falco/Pikachu hybrid. As for Sakurai...er, uh...Ninja Kong FTW!

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
a few things.
1. when i said except the konga games i meant i didn't think he was playable in those games.
2. he was playable in those games, i think that is a pretty core part of the game, and not just a mini game but for the whole game he was playable.
3. stanley is an eh character that only appeared in one DK game, whilest diddy has been around since DKC. plus stanley really only has one move, the bug sprayer, which is currently used by G&W. you could make moves for him based on him being an exterminator, but why bother when you have a plethora of moves to draw from diddy's library of games.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
a few things.
1. when i said except the konga games i meant i didn't think he was playable in those games.
2. he was playable in those games, i think that is a pretty core part of the game, and not just a mini game but for the whole game he was playable.
3. stanley is an eh character that only appeared in one DK game, whilest diddy has been around since DKC. plus stanley really only has one move, the bug sprayer, which is currently used by G&W. you could make moves for him based on him being an exterminator, but why bother when you have a plethora of moves to draw from diddy's library of games.
No, Diddy isn't a PC in either Konga.

Again: playable, but not necessary. That's like saying Gunjack's popular and Brawl-worthy because he's been in most Tekkens.

G&W doesn't need to return, so there's that. "Why bother?" Because unlocking Stanley would be like unlocking (were they unlocks?) Ice Climbers or G&W in the same OMG sense.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
As long as K. Rool is in, I'm ok with it.

Being admitted to Smash gives characters in the following positions priority

1) Hero/Main Protagonist of a game (Mario, Link, DK, Kirby etc.)
2) Most recognizable character of a game (This is where Captain Falcon or Pikachu comes into play)
3) Main Villian of a game (Bowser, the 'dorf, Mewtwo in a way, kinda Metaknight)
4) Sidekicks and other either playable or important Characters (Luigi, Diddy, etc. fit in here)

5) Happy Mask Salesman

But that's just how I see it.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Also, remember that number of games takes a faaar backseat to quality of games. Ice Climbers? Ness? Young Link? In that sense, now that I think about it, Diddy's even less-suited for Brawl. Over half of his games weren't up to par.

Sumo Kong, on the other hand...

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
No, Diddy isn't a PC in either Konga.

Again: playable, but not necessary. That's like saying Gunjack's popular and Brawl-worthy because he's been in most Tekkens.

G&W doesn't need to return, so there's that. "Why bother?" Because unlocking Stanley would be like unlocking (were they unlocks?) Ice Climbers or G&W in the same OMG sense.
using the he was not necessary in those games argument, you could say none of the characters in those games were necessary sept for mario in the sports games and dk in king of swing. he offered a unique way to play the game, different from how the other characters play. if he was an exact carbon copy of another character in those games that argument would be valid.
G&W was unlockable and IC were there from the beginning. and G&W has been in more games than stanley, not to mention already having an appearance in melee and a fanbase in melee so he has a bigger chance of returning than of stanley making it in.

and not more than half of his games were subpar in quality. king of swing was a great game with the best rendition of DK ever in my opinion, they are even making a sequal it was so good. DKC 1 and 2 were great games, DK64 was great, Diddy kong racing was the first racing-adventure game of it's kind, and it is one of the best games in that category. the mario sports games were all good, and i wouldn't count those anyway. konga was unique, and i don't know about konga 2, need i go on?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Okay, let's try this once more.

Sure, Diddy controlled differently, but if he wasn't included in them, noone would've cried foul. He's a good filler, and a good compliment to DK, but he lacks the presence in video game lore that keeps Smash mainstays in the game.

Yeah, but G&W sucked as a character. Noone really plays him if they're trying to win. Added to that, he lacks identity with new gamers who don't read up on Nintendo for fun. Indeed, I barely recognized him when I first got him. And Sakurai likes to surprise us with unlockable characters.

For Brawl, some Melee fighter's'll get the axe, and G&W'll be one of them.

Top Bottom