• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diablo III: Not even death can save you from me

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Does anyone here happen to solo as a DH in inferno? I'm having trouble with reflect damage enemies more than anything else

also, how do view your nephalim bonus or w/e its called?

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Its just a buff on your bar.

My friend is farming act 4 inferno with DH, I can ask him how he deals with it if you want.

Lovage

Smash Hero
Does anyone here happen to solo as a DH in inferno? I'm having trouble with reflect damage enemies more than anything else

also, how do view your nephalim bonus or w/e its called?
i use SS to beat reflect damage, use SS offensively whenever you're about to get a big burst with impale + spike traps with sharpshooter crits (MY solo ferno build). chunk as many of them as you can and repeat. while chugging pots for the unavoidable damage and kiting around safe parts of da map

and i also pack the prep rune that gives you 60% hp, really good in inferno imo.

Gotten lucky with a couple 900-1.1k dps bows today.
you tryna hook the mans up?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Any ideas how to best bypass this f'ing AH error when trying to make an auction? It randomly works sometimes so I just spam it for 5 minutes straight until I finally get it to work. I have better things to do with my time than sit here and spam.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
What error are you getting? I'm currently getting an error that says I can only have 0 max auctions at once and can't list anything now.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ yeah i am getting that now. I heard you have to log in a bunch of times and eventually it may work. Didn't work for me, i'ma play again later

Kal

Smash Champion
What error are you getting? I'm currently getting an error that says I can only have 0 max auctions at once and can't list anything now.
This is like getting kicked in the shins by Blizzard. >_< It's annoying that two weeks in we are still getting errors related to simply playing the game.

Kal

Smash Champion
I've just been doing meteor runs to level my barb, but so far lag hasn't been any worse than normal for me.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sure I'll help really quick

Kal

Smash Champion
Thanks a lot Kal for getting me back on my feet in the game!
Sure thing. Did you finish Nightmare yet? Once you're level 50 I don't mind running you and Cactuar to Inferno. Then I'll run you guys through Inferno have to call it quits.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
how long did the replay to hell take you?
Umm.. i'd say a good 15 hours. I try not to rush too much and take my time to have the proper level for where I am. I'm probably going to start hell at 51 or 52. Right now I have 28k life at level 50 and I think my dps is around 2k.

Jem.

Smash Master
Woke up to missing half my gear and all my gold being gone. Was saving up my gold too to get upgrades to progress into Act 3 Inferno.

/Nerdrage if Blizzard can't restore me to a day or two ago.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
Did you have an Authenticator? And are you using your b.net password on anything else?

Jem.

Smash Master
No I didn't have an authenticator. This is a brand new built computer a few weeks ago. Nothing else of mine is compromised. I think it's because I joined a public game to get a waypoint to a friend. My recent played list is now filled with level 1-10's. I literally was only in a public game for 2 minutes to get a waypoint for a friend and then create the private game again.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
No I didn't have an authenticator. This is a brand new built computer a few weeks ago. Nothing else of mine is compromised. I think it's because I joined a public game to get a waypoint to a friend. My recent played list is now filled with level 1-10's. I literally was only in a public game for 2 minutes to get a waypoint for a friend and then create the private game again.
You should really get an authenticator, they are free if you have a smart phone.

On that note, you might want to scan your computer for viruses using malwarebytes or some other program just to make sure.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, there is speculation that whatever compromise has been found in Diablo III only works to bypass the password authentication. The authenticator authentication (what a mouthful) should be able to be bypassed the same way, but it currently does not appear to be compromised.

You should get an authenticator as soon as possible, by the way. Some instructions for basic security are in this post. If you don't have an iOS or Android device, and don't want to wait for the FOB to arrive in the mail (or simply don't want to spend $6.50 to fix Blizzard's problem), you could also use winauth.

Also, if you do want to use the account restoration, keep in mind that they literally just revert your account to an earlier date. If you're going to do it, it would be pointless to play at all until then. You only get two restorations, however, so if the amount lost was small (something I doubt since you are in Inferno), it might be better to just try getting everything back on your own.

Good luck with the restoration.

Jem.

Smash Master
Yeah, I might get an authenticator. It's pretty stupid though. My computer is fine. It's because Blizzard's "Warden" defense isn't quite as good as it was supposed to be. I remember hacking/etc wasnt supposed to happen in the full game like Diablo 2. If getting hacked was my fault I'd feel responsible, but me along with many others had it happen via a public game. Blizzard needs to tighten their **** up. There is NO EXCUSE for how bad their public game defense is for an online only game. /Nerdrage

And nah, if my account doesn't get restored, I'm probably just not going to play. I lost over 1.5 million gold and half my gear. my damage is still 15k while half naked and I can actually solo act 1 inferno still, but it's not worth it to me.

And I've heard some people have gotten hacked in public games even with an authenticator.

Kal

Smash Champion
Yeah, there are rumors of people with authenticators getting hacked. My little brother's account was apparently hacked, even though he uses an authenticator and doesn't even play public games. However, Warden isn't to blame for these hacks. Obviously, I don't know anything for sure, but it seems to have to do with the coding of Diablo III and how it determines password authentication.

Jem.

Smash Master
I'd expect an online only game in 2012 by BLIZZARD to be better defensed is all. I hold Blizzard to high standards because I've loved most their games especially growing up. The hacking will only get worse. I thought it'd atleast be a month before these type of things happen.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It really doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint that joining a public game has anything to do with being hacked, that is more people just trying to come up with a reason it seems like. If someone could hack you just by knowing your account name you would see everyone in the chats getting hacked just as often as everyone in public games.

Also, warden just checks your computer to see if you are running a background program while playing D3 that alters the game files I'm pretty sure and doesn't really have to do much with hacking afaik. The reason so many people are getting hacked, is because this is the fastest selling PC game ever, so there is a lot of money to be made from it. There probably won't be a game company that is 100% perfectly secure, especially for games like this.

Not saying it's not blizzards fault, perfectly well could be lol I'm just saying we don't really know because D3 is such a huge target it's silly to imagine the game not getting hacked. I've been in several public games, posted my battletag in several places on the internet and have a ton of gold and reaaally good gear. Don't have an authenticator yet(getting physical one very soon) and haven't been hacked yet so idk what really to say except have good anti-virus software and run adblocker :/. Sucks.

The way blizzard is handling it kind of sucks though :/. I don't understand the 2 account restore limitation. I remember when Riot got hacked and they made the top players elo 0 and changed a bunch of things lol but they got it fixed pretty quick.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The hacking will only get worse.
I disagree. All the problems will be solved shortly. I've never seen blizzard have such a security problem and I'm sure it will be found and fixed soon. At least, nothing suggests that it will be getting worse.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
It really doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint that joining a public game has anything to do with being hacked, that is more people just trying to come up with a reason it seems like. If someone could hack you just by knowing your account name you would see everyone in the chats getting hacked just as often as everyone in public games.
I don't know how it would work, and I'm absolutely certain many people are lying about it to save face, but I'm still never going to join a public game.

Jem.

Smash Master
Hylian, there are THOUSANDS of people like me who are never dumb about this sort of thing. Don't click forum links, don't buy gold, etc. My computer has never been compromised. You're telling me some guy randomly pulled my IP out of a hat without playing with me and by luck found out I play D3 and by luck keylogged me when I have no source of being keylogged at all? Plus, I hadn't even entered my password for anything until this morning. I logged off, went to bed, woke up, hacked. my D3 password is different from my others. The only explanation is that somehow, through public games they're able to get your IP or trace something about you and work from there. People with authenticators are getting hacked too, what's the explanation for that? Keylogging wouldn't even work for them since it changes everytime.

I don't think its "boy crying wolf" here when thousands of people are saying it is from a public game. A lot of people were cycling in and out of the public game I was in for 2 minutes, and that worried me a little. atleast 10 different people joined and left no talking for the 2 minutes I was grabbing a waypoint/quest.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Question: When you revert, what happens to the gold/items that got stolen from you? Do they get traced out and removed, or do they stay in the game and ultimately lower the value of everything?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian, there are THOUSANDS of people like me who are never dumb about this sort of thing. Don't click forum links, don't buy gold, etc. My computer has never been compromised. You're telling me some guy randomly pulled my IP out of a hat without playing with me and by luck found out I play D3 and by luck keylogged me when I have no source of being keylogged at all? Plus, I hadn't even entered my password for anything until this morning. I logged off, went to bed, woke up, hacked. my D3 password is different from my others. The only explanation is that somehow, through public games they're able to get your IP or trace something about you and work from there. People with authenticators are getting hacked too, what's the explanation for that? Keylogging wouldn't even work for them since it changes everytime.

I don't think its "boy crying wolf" here when thousands of people are saying it is from a public game. A lot of people were cycling in and out of the public game I was in for 2 minutes, and that worried me a little. atleast 10 different people joined and left no talking for the 2 minutes I was grabbing a waypoint/quest.
Download this: http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and then run a full scan. I'm interested in knowing if anything pops up now that someone I know has been hacked. Let me know the results if you are up for it.

I'm not saying it's your fault, I'm saying I don't know. It just doesn't seem logical that public games have anything to do with being hacked, if anything I would think the chat would make you an easier target if they just need your account name. People get hacked in WOW pretty often, because it is a huge money target. The same thing will happen in D3 for the same reason. Blizzards security could suck, but I don't see why they would be doing anything different than what they are for SC2/Wow so it doesn't logically make sense to me that D3 specifically has worse security aside from the fact that more people are trying to hack it.

I honestly don't know though and you have every right to be upset.

Kal

Smash Champion
The idea is that, given a person's account name, you can bypass the normal security checks to access their account. Public games are how they acquire account names, it seems. I saw a thread (that was, of course, deleted) explaining that the limitations of the hacking mean they can hack one account every two minutes, roughly. This would make it very, very unprofitable for them to just hack every account who posts in general chat. Instead, they would hack accounts who are in Inferno because they are much more likely to turn a worthwhile profit. Just speculation, of course.

Also, I'm not a fan of moojerk's posts. They should be taken with a grain of salt, since he's a huge Blizzard supporter. Some think he's even a Blizzard employee, which seems less likely. The point, I guess, is that there's a lack of objectivity to vehement, almost religious defense of Blizzard.

I've joined plenty of pub games, no problems so far. Granted, I'm only in nightmare act III but meh lol
It seems, in the interest of maximizing profit, they would stick to hacking accounts from people in Inferno games. This is all speculation, of course, but my word is just as good as that of Blizzard's PR, since they're not going to be transparent about a security breach of this nature.

I do love people on the Diablo III boards who claim it's some conspiracy theory. Like, between the following two claims:

1) Thousands of people have been hacked by some sort of keylogger or phishing scam, and every single one of them who claims to have a clean computer is lying.

2) There is a security issue, unique to Diablo III, that allows people to bypass security issues.

people consider the latter less likely than the former. It seems rather unlikely to me that everyone in 1) is lying, which would suggest that there is some magnificent new type of keylogger that is undetectable, and this keylogger is, for some reason, only being used to hack Diablo III accounts. It just seems more likely to me that there is an issue on Blizzard's side. We'll have to wait to find out (though the truth may never surface if there is a security issue), but posts like this have me skeptical of any claims of security made by Blizzard.

Top Bottom