• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Kantrip

Kantplay
I watched Avatar the Last Airbender recently and thought it was amazing. I've heard mixed reviews about Legend of Korra though, should I bother?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
something something swords art online something something yay!

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I watched Avatar the Last Airbender recently and thought it was amazing. I've heard mixed reviews about Legend of Korra though, should I bother?
Wait, that show has mixed reviews? I was under the impression that it was widely praised.

Anywho, I recently just finished marathoning through the first two seasons and I thought it was pretty good. Lots of good times to be had in the show. I'll just make a quick list because that's easier than summarizing my thoughts in a paragraph:

Pros:
  • I like how it expended upon concepts introduced in Avatar in some actual believable ways (i.e., police force are metal benders that wear metal suits of armor equipped with metal gadgets that they can manipulate with their bending).
  • I liked the conflict in first season, thought it was both a logical conflict that would arise in the Avatar world as well as interesting and well executed (nonbenders feeling that they are suppressed by benders).
  • The dialogue is genuinely really funny, despite the fact that the show is family friendly.
  • Most characters are enjoyable in their own way.
Cons:
  • First three episodes feel a tad bit rushed.
  • Originally, Korra was meant to be a one season thing, but due to good ratings subsequent seasons were added. Knowing this, you can definitely tell that Korra was meant to only be one season with how neatly everything is wrapped up by season one's end. As a result everything new season ends up feeling like another show with the same set of characters. It's not bad but I feel like season 2 was somewhat weaker than season 1 and it feels like it could have been better if everything was planned from the beginning (season 2 is still good through).
  • Korra makes the dumb same face every episode because the animators couldn't come up with a better dumb half-open smile to give her:

Overall would definitely recommend the first season, and depending one your like/interest in the show you can take it from there.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Any good books people are reading atm. Preferably non-fiction.
Current NF cycle: The Book of Five Rings (Miyamoto Musashi), The Seven Daughters of Eve (Bryan Sykes), Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum (Art Freidman, Leonard Susskind)
So about a month and a half ago Zen inquired about my location so here I am.

OS I don't think you would like Ghost in the Shell. The main heroine wears a dumb unnecessarily revealing costume and the tanks are anime as **** for no reason other then the fact that they exist in an anime. While Ghost isn't super over the top with anime stuff it definitely is still there are you will notice it. You probably won't hate it but I don't think you would like it enough to find it worth an investment of your time.

On the subject of nonfiction I would always recommend Freakanomics. A lot of you probably already read that one but to those who haven't it's mega interesting, so check it out.
Yeah you're actually probably right about GiaS. I think the tanks are more of a sci-fi thing than random anime thing though.
People absolutely love LoK. I thought it was nothing compared to TLA though. The animation and music are definitely supreme and I love a lot of the characters. The plot is stale though imo, and as Sword said, it's very rushed. They tried to fit way too many too many things in the first season and it just wasn't buyable. Also the voice acting is really bad, particularly Korra's which is just garbage imo. I personally enjoyed the last season the most.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
thing about kancolle is i dont see the point in watching a bad anime or going through a convoluted sign-up process for a rng browser game when the main draw is the anime girls & you can just look through the fanart of em without any of that

(shiranui is the best one btw.)
Personalities you can't get from art. That's like saying why have friends if you can just Google image "person" and get it from there.

Obviously a stretch but a similar thought process.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Maybe some people who aren't a fan of series would rather watch movies?

Like pretty much everything from Hayao Miyazaki is pure love for me.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!?
http://smashboards.com/members/brb-not-posting.210813/

Current NF cycle: The Book of Five Rings (Miyamoto Musashi), The Seven Daughters of Eve (Bryan Sykes), Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum (Art Freidman, Leonard Susskind)
Yeah you're actually probably right about GiaS. I think the tanks are more of a sci-fi thing than random anime thing though.
People absolutely love LoK. I thought it was nothing compared to TLA though. The animation and music are definitely supreme and I love a lot of the characters. The plot is stale though imo, and as Sword said, it's very rushed. They tried to fit way too many too many things in the first season and it just wasn't buyable. Also the voice acting is really bad, particularly Korra's which is just garbage imo. I personally enjoyed the last season the most.
Holy crap The Book of Five Rings is my **** dude. Well, at least the last book tbh, not going to lie and pretend that I read anything other than the shortest and most interesting part. In any case I've been pouring the Book of Void over and over in my head, trying to decipher it and how it can be applied to modern day facets of life like competitive gaming. I've come to the conclusion though that a mastery of material is needed before just an abstract understanding can be achieved. Still super interesting though.

Also I couldn't disagree with you more about the tanks. You have to super high powered tanks that are, err, well, programmed to have cute child voices and to act clumsy and cute around people. Seems like an anime trope to me.

fun fact: miyazaki ****in HATES anime with a burning passion
True story? Good man.

I know that Miyazaki holds some traditionally conservative views so I can see it.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's more so he hate otaku and people who don't try to exoeruance life, but yeah Gorf is right.

He hates what a lot of anime have become.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
just been chillin in the room with my homies playin friendlies and generally staying not sober

downstairs has just been chaos so we've been avoiding that and riding out the confusion. worked out since theyve got a new venue for tomorrow. i was hoping to hit up other dgamers today that are at the venue though since all bracket **** got cancelled for today

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
don't worry adum you already met me so that's all you evah need : D

jk. i'm not at apex either. gonna chill yo

Top Bottom