• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
It's not like I was excited for Supes vs. Bats anyway, but this pretty much guarantees that I won't even see it.

People are trying to parrellel this casting choice with Heath Ledger as Joker in TDK (which, to most of us, did seem out of left field at the time), but it's just not the same scenario at all. None of us knew that Ledger had the Joker in him yet, but we all knew he had range. Ben Affleck, as an actor, has already proven that's precisely what he lacks. He's going to play Ben Affleck with bat ears on.

I mean, maybe he won't. I'm not psychic. But Ben Affleck's been an A-list actor long enough for most people to develop an informed opinion of him at this point. I've seen Affleck in front of the camera for years now, and I've just never seen him really add anything of value to a scene. And especially with that rumor floating around a couple weeks ago about Josh Brolin being a frontrunner for the role, this is, comparatively, a huge letdown. I know Brolin would have made an awesome Bruce Wayne. Especially if they really are going to try for an older, wiser vigilante opposite the young, naive superhuman thing (which actually sounds like an interesting dynamic, and probably the only way to make the Superman we have now work in a movie like this). Ben Affleck definitely isn't going to be able to sell that kind of relationship as well.

Now, if you were to tell me that Affleck was going to take over Snyder's position, that would have me humming a different tune.

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
It's not like I was excited for Supes vs. Bats anyway, but this pretty much guarantees that I won't even see it.

People are trying to parrellel this casting choice with Heath Ledger as Joker in TDK (which, to most of us, did seem out of left field at the time), but it's just not the same scenario at all. None of us knew that Ledger had the Joker in him yet, but we all knew he had range. Ben Affleck, as an actor, has already proven that's precisely what he lacks. He's going to play Ben Affleck with bat ears on.

I mean, maybe he won't. I'm not psychic. But Ben Affleck's been an A-list actor long enough for most people to develop an informed opinion of him at this point. I've seen Affleck in front of the camera for years now, and I've just never seen him really add anything of value to a scene. And especially with that rumor floating around a couple weeks ago about Josh Brolin being a frontrunner for the role, this is, comparatively, a huge letdown. I know Brolin would have made an awesome Bruce Wayne. Especially if they really are going to try for an older, wiser vigilante opposite the young, naive superhuman thing (which actually sounds like an interesting dynamic, and probably the only way to make the Superman we have now work in a movie like this). Ben Affleck definitely isn't going to be able to sell that kind of relationship as well.

Now, if you were to tell me that Affleck was going to take over Snyder's position, that would have me humming a different tune.
I don't think I would've enjoyed Josh Brolin. Juuuuuust sayin'.

Ben Affleck has gotten old and fatherly in the last ten years. Juuuuuust sayin'.

This will probably set up for Affleck to direct Justice League. Juuuuuust sayin'.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Brolin wouldn't have been my first choice for Bats, but I'd pick him before a lot of people. Especially for a movie that isn't centered around him. Ideally, paired with someone like Cavill, we'd get someone a little less well known anyway. Part of the issue with Affleck, really, is his familiar face. Cavill next to Affleck is like Armie Hammer next to Johnny Depp. I'm sure that's why Batman's currently getting top billing in the title of the movie right now, even though it's technically supposed to be a Man of Steel sequel.

At least if it were Brolin or Jon Hamm or something, I'd be more likely to like the character regardless.

Affleck's older now, but he still doesn't have that gristle yet, ya feel me? Just because he can grow a beard now doesn't mean he can ground Superman if he needs to.

And Ang Lee could direct Justice League and it wouldn't help if DC miscasts everybody in all the movies leading up to it (Megan Fox for Wonder Woman 2015!).

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Like, I just keep thinking about all the daddy issues Superman has, especially in Man of Steel.

And I picture Batman being this sort of new mentor/father figure in his life, trying to teach the kid with heat vision how to not **** up everything when he's fightin' crime. How to follow clues and scare information out of henchmen instead of being forced to punch their **** off or whatever Superman should be letting EE do.

And then I picture Ben Affleck doing it but actually I don't because #I can't.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Speaking of Ben Affleck, have I mentioned how weird everything he does is when the first thing you see him in is some educational thing he did on PBS when he was 12? Seriously.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I didn't think you'd be able to stop yourself wow you must really love me.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I pretty much think of the south park episode where ben affleck's parents were the people with butts for faces, and they were kissing him by farting on his face at the end.

#HBC | Nabe

Brolin wouldn't have been my first choice for Bats, but I'd pick him before a lot of people. Especially for a movie that isn't centered around him. Ideally, paired with someone like Cavill, we'd get someone a little less well known anyway. Part of the issue with Affleck, really, is his familiar face. Cavill next to Affleck is like Armie Hammer next to Johnny Depp. I'm sure that's why Batman's currently getting top billing in the title of the movie right now, even though it's technically supposed to be a Man of Steel sequel.

At least if it were Brolin or Jon Hamm or something, I'd be more likely to like the character regardless.

Affleck's older now, but he still doesn't have that gristle yet, ya feel me? Just because he can grow a beard now doesn't mean he can ground Superman if he needs to.

And Ang Lee could direct Justice League and it wouldn't help if DC miscasts everybody in all the movies leading up to it (Megan Fox for Wonder Woman 2015!).
a) I suspect Ben Affleck could ground Superman, but who knows what they'll do with the plot
b) Superman doesn't sell, that's why Batman has top billing and why he's been put in the movie to begin with

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I just feel like... Remember when George Clooney played Batman? I like George Clooney a lot, he's a good actor. And he usually does good movies. Even the bad movies he's in are thoroughly entertaining to me.

I like Ben Affleck too. Despite what some people like to think, he's a pretty good actor. He usually does pretty good movies too. Even his stinkers are entertaining to me.

But I don't want Batman to be a stinker, and I'm scared. I don't want a repeat of Batman & Robin, cheesey stupid entertainment. Batman has evolved beyond that. There's plenty of that Batman out there already.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
a) I suspect Ben Affleck could ground Superman, but who knows what they'll do with the plot
b) Superman doesn't sell, that's why Batman has top billing and why he's been put in the movie to begin with
Superman would sell if they made good movies for him, but I feel you.

The point that I think we're all dancing around here is that the motivations behind every choice made for this movie so far appear entirely cynical and profit-driven. Which can be said for just about any movie, but it's better when it's less obvious. The Avengers was about a Joss Whedon away from being a disaster of a cash grab. Instead, it's a cash grab with just enough passion in the middle that almost no one minds.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
So I just realized how I really want Daniel Day-Lewis to be batman.

"In New York, authorities came across two would-be muggers, tied up together, with the symbol of the comic book superhero Batman drawn on the ground in front of them.This has been the third "Batman incident" reported so far in the past several weeks. What do you think, Jim?"

"Hasn't Daniel Day-Lewis been cast in the new Batman movie?"

"..."

"****"

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I just feel like... Remember when George Clooney played Batman? I like George Clooney a lot, he's a good actor. And he usually does good movies. Even the bad movies he's in are thoroughly entertaining to me.

I like Ben Affleck too. Despite what some people like to think, he's a pretty good actor. He usually does pretty good movies too. Even his stinkers are entertaining to me.

But I don't want Batman to be a stinker, and I'm scared. I don't want a repeat of Batman & Robin, cheesey stupid entertainment. Batman has evolved beyond that. There's plenty of that Batman out there already.
Beyond? You don't think they can't coexist? That's actually some fond memories of Batman and I think "BIFF! POW! PUNS!" a lot when I think of him.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
I've never understood how alcohol caught on other than at one point it was safer to drink than available water. I don't know how people get past the burning sensation like "oh don't worry everybody drinks it, that burning doesn't mean anything."

YOLOSWAG

marshy|omni
I've never understood how alcohol caught on other than at one point it was safer to drink than available water. I don't know how people get past the burning sensation like "oh don't worry everybody drinks it, that burning doesn't mean anything."
now i done grew up round some people living their life in bottles
some people like the way it feels
some people wanna drown their sorrows
some people wanna fit in with the popular
i wave a few bottles they flock
all the girls wanna play baywatch
i got a swimming pool full of liquor and they dive in it
pool full of liquor ima dive in it

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
It's a depressant. It slows down your central nervous system which in turn can reduce heart rate and reduced breathing resulting in alleviation of anxiety. If people are nervous on a social occasion it helps to break the tension and make people more sociable. It can also be used as a sleeping agent if people don't want to rely on OTCs like doxylamine ect.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
yo when i saw that hando was the last person to post in this thread i remembered back to the lonely island mafia game from forever go and was like 'man wouldnt it be crazy if he took the lonely island and combined it with the collaboration the rapper i linked did with the group which also ties to yolos shtick' and he did damn ballin as **** post

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
I think I'm extraordinarily bad at actually getting posts in for Pen&Sword. Finally finished my second post, and then I find out that deadline was declared an hour ago. :/

#HBC | Nabe

Superman would sell if they made good movies for him, but I feel you.

The point that I think we're all dancing around here is that the motivations behind every choice made for this movie so far appear entirely cynical and profit-driven. Which can be said for just about any movie, but it's better when it's less obvious. The Avengers was about a Joss Whedon away from being a disaster of a cash grab. Instead, it's a cash grab with just enough passion in the middle that almost no one minds.
That being the original point I made. Ben Affleck isn't going to sink this movie, couldn't possibly do so. Directing and writing will.

Handorin

Smash Hero
yo when i saw that hando was the last person to post in this thread i remembered back to the lonely island mafia game from forever go and was like 'man wouldnt it be crazy if he took the lonely island and combined it with the collaboration the rapper i linked did with the group which also ties to yolos shtick' and he did damn ballin as **** post
Hah. I totally forgot Kendrick Lamar was in that YOLO song until I looked at it again. I think it's time for a Lonely island Mafia Remix. There's so much new content.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
That being the original point I made. Ben Affleck isn't going to sink this movie, couldn't possibly do so. Directing and writing will.
Don't you sit there and act like I'm not the only one making all the valid points about something.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Hey if you guys wanna talk about bad range they put jim carrey in kick ass 2 and his range mediates from cheeky funnyman who makes dumb faces to sociopathic manchild who makes weird sounds with his voice

Sometimes both

(Love ya carrey)

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Truman Show... Carrey definitely has more range than that, and also, who the **** cares about Kickass 2 anyway

actually I think he could have killed it as the Riddler in a less awful movie

Top Bottom