• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Swiss, if you want to get better at CSing, just do custom games by yourself and practicing it. Get used to each characters attack animation, approximate damage, etc.

/dotatips

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Nah any advice would be good, slipping down further and further.

I'm almost always ahead early game..but can't seem to force us to obectives, then games just stall etc etc etc we lost often.
Play mid. Outside of Jungle, it's a lot easier to help other lanes get going due to the fact that you can roam and help top/bot at any situation. By helping those lanes get ahead, you can start to get objectives. It helps that you can apply some of your knowledge as a jungler here as well, even though your role in teamfights is often vastly different. Just learn how to farm efficiently.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Yes, Vinyl. You may think that your hand fracture is a serious problem, but it's not. It's only as big a problem as you make it out to be. You need to remain motivated and use will power to overcome that hand fracture. Learn to write with your other hand, and if that hand gets fractured, learn to draw with your feet. There are several youtube videos so it CAN be done. And if you get a foot fracture, then come up with your own method of drawing.

Because you know what, this is something you wanted to do and have dreamed about doing. You are an imbecile and incredibly short-sighted for feeling depressed and expressing doubt. How can you doubt your goals? You need to man up and take that pen, stencil, and laugh madly in a vicodin induced euphoria that this is what you want to do goddamit and there are not going to be any more doubts in your mind, ever. Who cares about what happens to that hand? **** the hand, you're drawing with the power of dreams.

After all, you shouldn't think about this situation realistically, but metaphorically. For you see Vinyl., your hand fracture is like a lion trying to eat you at Full Sail. But you're going to escape from that hand fracture goddamit, yes you are Vinyl. You are going to thrash back and forth like a Zebra being eaten by its own hand and you are going to amputate that mother ****er and head to a real jungle where you will join with your zebra brethren, handless creatures like yourself and live a meaningful existence of pure subsistence.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Hey Vinyl. how serious is your fracture. The fracture is hopefully minor seeing as how you could still type that post. But, I don't make assumptions.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Yes, Vinyl. You may think that your hand fracture is a serious problem, but it's not. It's only as big a problem as you make it out to be. You need to remain motivated and use will power to overcome that hand fracture. Learn to write with your other hand, and if that hand gets fractured, learn to draw with your feet. There are several youtube videos so it CAN be done. And if you get a foot fracture, then come up with your own method of drawing.

Because you know what, this is something you wanted to do and have dreamed about doing. You are an imbecile and incredibly short-sighted for feeling depressed and expressing doubt. How can you doubt your goals? You need to man up and take that pen, stencil, and laugh madly in a vicodin induced euphoria that this is what you want to do goddamit and there are not going to be any more doubts in your mind, ever. Who cares about what happens to that hand? **** the hand, you're drawing with the power of dreams.

After all, you shouldn't think about this situation realistically, but metaphorically. For you see Vinyl., your hand fracture is like a lion trying to eat you at Full Sail. But you're going to escape from that hand fracture goddamit, yes you are Vinyl. You are going to thrash back and forth like a Zebra being eaten by its own hand and you are going to amputate that mother ****er and head to a real jungle where you will join with your zebra brethren, handless creatures like yourself and live a meaningful existence of pure subsistence.
This inspired me more than any video of zebras, elephants, and tigers ever could. Thank you based Acro.

:phone:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Play mid. Outside of Jungle, it's a lot easier to help other lanes get going due to the fact that you can roam and help top/bot at any situation. By helping those lanes get ahead, you can start to get objectives. It helps that you can apply some of your knowledge as a jungler here as well, even though your role in teamfights is often vastly different. Just learn how to farm efficiently.
That actually has nothing to do with his problem. His problem is communication, which he won't get by simply playing something else. Ping and yell and scream and take objectives. Make DAMN sure they know what you want and if they don't do it, then respond accordingly rather than force it, but make sure you learn why they didn't go and have them back you up next time. Ward, regardless of position. All this hinges on you knowing when to push objectives yourself.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I need one replacement for Earthbound. Contact me if Interested.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Hey Vinyl. how serious is your fracture. The fracture is hopefully minor seeing as how you could still type that post. But, I don't make assumptions.
When I make a fist, it looked pretty deformed compared to mines. So it's pretty bent and will have to perform a hand surgery. I'm wearing a splint right now to prevent it from being worse.

And thanks, guys.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
This inspired me more than any video of zebras, elephants, and tigers ever could. Thank you based Acro.

I don't really believe that people intrinsically lack will power or effort when it comes to facing problems. After all, at some point people are cognizant that they aren't the special snowflake, their time is limited, competition is plentiful, and this is self-survival.

I do agree that having doubts and getting depressed is part of the game, in fact it is what makes us human and rational. I also don't think they are something to be cast aside or drowned with positive feelings of self-worth and heroism. It is a stress response and needs to be ascertained objectively. I have this doubt because of x, and this impairs me in y instance and I need to consider z when I go to work.

However, I think that the whole stay motivated thing is really just a bunch of crap. Responsibility for failure should be attributed to yourself, but only because it allows the person to believe that change is possible on their own end. The stark reality is that there are many problems outside of one's own area of influence that result in them failing or being ignored despite being motivated, capable, and possessing foresight to avoid such risks. It is also possible that the person is just incompetent and no matter what they do, their output is inefficient and mediocore to poor.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
You don't drown your doubts with positive feelings, you turn them into a motivating factor. Tap positive energy from whatever source you can get your hands on. If you don't have any idea how, then I do think it should be cast aside, as it is not going to help you in any way. Why spent time on it?

Stay motivated is a good mantra to have imo. Even when it's outside of your influence, you should take action to get it into your influence. Sometimes giving up is not an option, especially if you're paying ****loads for an education.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
You don't drown your doubts with positive feelings, you turn them into a motivating factor. Tap positive energy from whatever source you can get your hands on. If you don't have any idea how, then I do think it should be cast aside, as it is not going to help you in any way. Why spent time on it?

Stay motivated is a good mantra to have imo. Even when it's outside of your influence, you should take action to get it into your influence. Sometimes giving up is not an option, especially if you're paying ****loads for an education.
Personally I have doubts stemming from real problems. The problem is sitting in the room with me, the doubts are potential extensions of where that problem could go and represent a very real and potential risk. Risk abatement is something that should be considered. It should be explored what problems are real, how far they can likely go, and what can be done about them.

Also I'm not denying that staying motivated is a good thing. Again if there is nothing you can do about it, then lifting your own spirits is the only thing you can do to handle the situation. But the reality is that you might just not be good as other people when it comes to what you are doing or you might be lacking something outside of yourself like a connection or a chance to have your ability shine. Also giving up is always an option, it is only stipulated that we shouldn't give up when we think that the cost of giving up outweighs the benefits of continuing.

By education, I assume we're talking about getting that diploma and developing those resume skills. The benefits of an education are retrospective. Intrinsically an education has no value, no one pays you to be a student (in most cases) however you are expecting a return after putting in four years of cash up front. If Full Sail will give "you" a high chance of getting a good job with reasonable pay accounting for the debt and interest to attending it, then the investment would likely be worth the risk. If not, then it is a question of whether there are other options to consider and whether they are a better choice to Vinyl subjectively and objectively.

Sidenote: This is semantics, but I personally don't believe people "give up". It's not like you excise the part of yourself that wanted to draw, be a doctor, or be "whatever thing you wanted to be under your own stipulated pretense of what that thing was" and throw it out the window and watch it be run over by a car. People make decisions and choices. Realizing that things might not be working out for you shouldn't be tied down to regret or some subset of weakness that the use of the words "give up" denotes. Realizing that what you want is not always what you get is maturity.

Also sorry Vinyl., this is getting philosophical and has no relevance with whatever is going on with you. I'm just using your situation to start a philosophical discussion with Xonar.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I kinda wish I broke some part of my part just to experience it once in my life, but all I can say I did to myself is probs just a black eye from snowboarding.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Nose when I was 5 or 6 (with a Frisbee, of my own doing), Left Wrist when I was 12ish.

My sister and cousin tackled me backwards over a mental laundry rack using large couch cushions as battering rams. Landed with my left arm underneath me. Fractured in 3 places, cast for 6 weeks.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Cracked my skull open when I was 4~5 on the edge of a pool(in-ground) with one of those concrete borders. Got airlifted. Don't remember a second of it.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Risk abatement is something that should be considered. It should be explored what problems are real, how far they can likely go, and what can be done about them.
Fair. But when you know you can't drop something, that loses priority (if it doesn't deal with dropping everything).

But the reality is that you might just not be good as other people when it comes to what you are doing
I really, really disagree. To take myself as example, I joined a pretty damn tough Uni with all sorts of talented people, and I've been out-shined in a lot of aspects, but in the end I still have my **** together and I'm getting my credits.
Sure, I'm not as good as them, and I might never be. Does that matter? I want to make myself satisfied/proud. Live up to the requirements asked of you, and if you want to make unrealistic requirements for yourself (i.e. I want to be as good as my peers who have 5 years of experience), then failure is your own fault for not assessing the difficulty properly.
Growth comes in steps. Talent is irrelevant on the long run.

Also giving up is always an option, it is only stipulated that we shouldn't give up when we think that the cost of giving up outweighs the benefits of continuing.
Yup. I agree 100%.

By education, I assume we're talking about getting that diploma and developing those resume skills. The benefits of an education are retrospective. Intrinsically an education has no value, no one pays you to be a student (in most cases) however you are expecting a return after putting in four years of cash up front. If Full Sail will give "you" a high chance of getting a good job with reasonable pay accounting for the debt and interest to attending it, then the investment would likely be worth the risk. If not, then it is a question of whether there are other options to consider and whether they are a better choice to Vinyl subjectively and objectively.
In addition to that, you get the benefit of meeting others, establishing connections with people from the industry, the joy of learning stuff you love etc.

It's not entirely retrospective, but largely, yes, it is.

All in all, choice is to Vinyl, but consider what other options are out there.

As for breaking stuff, I never did break anything I don't think. I have a lot of scars on my head though. :glare:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Oh wait I remember, I stepped on a nail that went through my foot when I was 2.

But I don't think I remember the pain from that at all.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
The only bone I broke was a tooth when I was like 7. Was at a pool party, slipped on wet floor and hit my tooth on the ladder going into the pool. The tooth left of my main 2 on the top, buck teeth or whatever their name is. It was only like half grown in so I didn't lose the whole thing, but for a long time I had this really sharp tooth that was kinda cool. Then I got some fake tooth thing put on it that was only supposed to last a bunch of years but I've had it ever since. The dentists are always like "I'm surprised it lasted so long" and I'm like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I also forget it's even there, kinda hard to notice.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I've stepped on wood with nails in it so many times. But every time I was wearing steel toes with inch thick soles so I ended up walking five steps with a block of wood nailed to my shoe before realizing it.

Swiss

Smash Lord
I kinda wish I broke some part of my part just to experience it once in my life, but all I can say I did to myself is probs just a black eye from snowboarding.
Pain, and I mean real physical pain doesn't hurt so much as much as it shocks you. Numbs your brain.

The aftermath is a thick pain - I don't know how else to describe it.

If you're going to get a black eye, at least get it in a fight.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
^ He's right you know. People lose limbs in anime and movies etc all the time and they're just like "MY ARM >=(" or whatever, and get over it pretty quickly. Therefore that is what happens.

Swiss

Smash Lord
I have a prosthetic little finger (left hand) from when my buddies sword went through it, that didn't hurt so much as just 'holy **** we're in trouble'.

Not saying if that happened to an adult that would be their thought process, but it wasn't so much pain I felt at the time as the shock and then fear of being caught with it. Pain only resisters when your brain lets it.

Swiss

Smash Lord
Have I ever told you all that story btw?

Spent the day shooting drawings of Osama Bin Laden with a crossbow before I ****ed up. I think there's still a bolt embedded in his garden wall.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Okay.

Teacher gave me chance for my honesty. But I cannot screw up on attendance or I'll fail for sure, so I'm gonna wake up at 4am now.

This also gave me an idea for a story to write on my overdue writing assignment for english comp.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Never broke anything. Never fractured anything. More evidence to the theory that I'm actually invincible.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Okay.

Teacher gave me chance for my honesty. But I cannot screw up on attendance or I'll fail for sure, so I'm gonna wake up at 4am now.

This also gave me an idea for a story to write on my overdue writing assignment for english comp.
Instead of resolving to wake up at 4am, resolve to get in a healthy sleeping schedule. Resolve to eat good food. Resolve to >plan< homework.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Pain, and I mean real physical pain doesn't hurt so much as much as it shocks you. Numbs your brain.

The aftermath is a thick pain - I don't know how else to describe it.

If you're going to get a black eye, at least get it in a fight.
I never got anything bad in a fight at school, I got in a few in high school.

Worst injuries I ever got were self inflicted on accident, lol.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I have a prosthetic little finger (left hand) from when my buddies sword went through it, that didn't hurt so much as just 'holy **** we're in trouble'.
ogodwhat
What happened exactly? How old were you?

Swiss

Smash Lord
ogodwhat
What happened exactly? How old were you?
Must've been about 15, don't remember exactly - I was studying for my GCSE's that year.

He collected weapons, had swords (medieval, Japanese), a crossbow, a mace etc. He was ****ing about, I was also. Did a spin round with the medieval one, what ObiWan does **** tons in starwars (ths was about the time of the clone wars) I'd been mucking about with the Japanese one, which was much lighter, left hand lost grip, right hand didn't, gravity and torque forces remained constant and the rest is painful history.

It hasn't really effected my life in any real way - so no matter. Good anecdote for drinking (though I tend not to mention it to the girls if you know what I mean - stick to the arrest for that!)

Pretty sure I told you all this on Skype like, a year ago.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
That actually has nothing to do with his problem. His problem is communication, which he won't get by simply playing something else. Ping and yell and scream and take objectives. Make DAMN sure they know what you want and if they don't do it, then respond accordingly rather than force it, but make sure you learn why they didn't go and have them back you up next time. Ward, regardless of position. All this hinges on you knowing when to push objectives yourself.
He asked for a new role to play, so I gave him my best thoughts. This is all applicable, no doubt, but if he wants to push objectives, mid is the best position outside of jungle to give you the ability to do that, due to their ability to roam.

Unless you play TP top lanes, I guess.

Swiss

Smash Lord
at least it wasn't your WHOLE HAND :O
and they had to give you a prosthetic? Is it hard to notice?
They couldn't reattach your real finger http://abandonedfactory.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/penguindrum-13-3.png
You don't notice unless you see me pick up something smaller and rounded, so that my hand forms a fist, it doesn't bend as much. At work, home etc I take it off because it's a small office and my family don't care, but I get joked at for having to have talcum powder in my office drawer. And no it got infected so they didn't even try.

Plus using it for tricks lands me free drinks loads.

Top Bottom